WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Magic Cable Box just got a bunch of updates / upgrades

Sigus

Above the wet spot
Reaction score
Hey Rd, Dave didn't send me a replacement box which is ok with me as I really don't know what i am missing. Its never really worked since I have had it so didn't unplug any of the other services or devices. He is going to run test on it and see if the results are the same. I did request when he sends a box back it be a quad core.

He should have it today or tomorrow I will let folks know what he finds as this seems to be an issue with others as well.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Hey Rd, Dave didn't send me a replacement box which is ok with me as I really don't know what i am missing. Its never really worked since I have had it so didn't unplug any of the other services or devices. He is going to run test on it and see if the results are the same. I did request when he sends a box back it be a quad core.

He should have it today or tomorrow I will let folks know what he finds as this seems to be an issue with others as well.

As with anything some of them are sure to be defective.. I think you got a bum box. I've posted the videos and the pics of mine, this thing works pretty damn good. It gets a little "quirky" sometimes, but for the capabilities and watching anything anytime, and no monthly fee.. I don't think it can be beat.

RD

IinsureU

aka 'Insman'
Reaction score
Mine has always worked pretty good, not quite perfect though. However, since the upgrade it is working great...

TomD

Breathing Member
Reaction score
Is anyone other than me having some issues with the continuity of the volume level at times ?? Don't know why and no program in particular, but many times I am finding the volume level fluctuates quite widely during a movie or show and I have to crank it up or down accordingly ?!?
I have this problem to. The loud stuff is really loud and the voioces are not loud enough. I'm always ajusting the volume.
Alright guys.. Just went through this program with Dave right now, and the good news is it was very simple to do.

Get an SD card (bigger then 1 gig). Put SD Card in the side of box.
Goto home screen / front page. In the bottom right hand corner you will see a button that says "OTA" click that.
It will bring up a screen that has what version you are running etc.. At the bottom of that it will say Available updates or something like that. Click that.
It will pop a window that says "Clear Cache" "Clear Data" on mine just the cache had a check mark next to it. Make sure both are check marked and hit ok..

You have effectively erased your box now. There's a few other steps in here I'm sure I'm missing from memory but it's all pretty self explanatory.

Now you will get back to your home screen and you will have to click Settings.
Click Wifi and your network WILL NOT SHOW UP. Look up at the top of the screen and there is a toggle switch that will currently say "OFF" Click that and it will turn to ON. Connect the wifi.

Go into XBMC, goto Videos, click the add ons button underneath it. Click Stream Smart wizard and let it install.

You have now upgraded the Android box to the lastest OPERATING SYSTEM called Gotham 13, and you have now upgraded to the latest versions of XBMC etc..

This upgrade is HUGE. The box will run 80% faster then it did before and more efficiently. You will never have to use an SD card again in the box, because it's all done remotely now for future upgrades. On top of that there is even a tech support deal where if you get really fucked up you can call Dave and he can jump on your box remotely and do whatever needs to be done! (He said he hasn't had a need for that yet, but he can do it if need be)

On a second announcement all of our boxes are Dual core processors. They now have a quad core Box that is stupid fast. Dave will be selling those shortly for 50.00 more then the normal box.

RD

Tried doing this up grade. Get to this part- Go into XBMC, goto Videos, click the add ons button underneath it. Click Stream Smart wizard and let it install. Dosen't come up as choice????? None of the old apps are listed like GOMOVIES. Where did I fuck up???:grumble:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have this problem to. The loud stuff is really loud and the voioces are not loud enough. I'm always ajusting the volume.

Tried doing this up grade. Get to this part- Go into XBMC, goto Videos, click the add ons button underneath it. Click Stream Smart wizard and let it install. Dosen't come up as choice????? None of the old apps are listed like GOMOVIES. Where did I fuck up???:grumble:

So you get to the point of installing stream smart and you can't find it?

Until you run the stream smart wizard you won't have any apps.. When you run the installer it will drop them all in.

TomD

Breathing Member
Reaction score
I guess I should have run the wizard first instead of doing the upgrade first. Is there a way to fix this??? Thanks!!!!

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I guess I should have run the wizard first instead of doing the upgrade first. Is there a way to fix this??? Thanks!!!!

No I believe u run the wizard after the update to reinstall all the apps?

TomD

Breathing Member
Reaction score
I see no stream smart wizard any where. I looked all over.

TomD

Breathing Member
Reaction score
After talking to Dave&Dave I'm back on trac. No Stream Smart Wizard! It's Digi Smart Wizard on my box. Still kicks A S S!!

Thanks Dave & Dave:thumbup::thumbup:

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score

Any word from Dave in the issue? I'm still getting .4-.5 Mbps on my home wifi while everything else is running in 20s. Getting pretty frustrated with this.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Any word from Dave in the issue? I'm still getting .4-.5 Mbps on my home wifi while everything else is running in 20s. Getting pretty frustrated with this.

I would call cable box Dave on that deal.. First have him show you how to erase and reinstall everything. If that doesn't fix it I would send it back for another one.

I'm wondering if this has to do with that deal Sony sent out?

slowride

Reaction score
Got my box and have been playing with it for a couple days. I must be doing something wrong, but this thing is buggy and pisses me off. Half the streams come back with errors and navigating sucks. Got a LONG way to go before it's going to replace cable or dish. A unique little toy, but little more than an oddity at this point.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Got my box and have been playing with it for a couple days. I must be doing something wrong, but this thing is buggy and pisses me off. Half the streams come back with errors and navigating sucks. Got a LONG way to go before it's going to replace cable or dish. A unique little toy, but little more than an oddity at this point.

What is your Internet speed as it is read on the front screen of the box? The only time I ever had issues with mine is when I took it to Parker and had slow Internet..

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Maybe check out some of daves vids and see if they help? Navigating is really pretty simple.

slowride

Reaction score
The front of the box only shows the time, but a speed test came in at 30.82 down and 10.66 up

slowride

Reaction score
It might be my expectations. I was wanting something intuitive and a replacement for the cable box. So much of this is undocumented and seems to be a play-to-learn deal. No wife will tolerate replacing cable with this..... they're not going to spend the time to "learn" how to watch TV.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
It might be my expectations. I was wanting something intuitive and a replacement for the cable box. So much of this is undocumented and seems to be a play-to-learn deal. No wife will tolerate replacing cable with this..... they're not going to spend the time to "learn" how to watch TV.

I don't know my wife really likes it. I come home and she's always watching the box and not direct tv. I don't pay for show time or hbo so she misses a lot of shows. As soon as my contract is up direct tv is done. It's really pretty simple u get in the apps choose one search what u want and select it. No harder than working a smart phone or anything like that cause I'm not techie at all

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The front of the box only shows the time, but a speed test came in at 30.82 down and 10.66 up

Goto the home screen and in the bottom right hand corner there is a thing that looks like a gauge.. Click that for the speed test through the Booz.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I think the box is bad ass.. But you are a 100% right. No instructions no documentation etc.. It's ridiculous from that stand point. I have made a few simple videos that a lot of people found useful. I am thinking about making some better ones and organizing them for the Rdp members.

slowride

Reaction score
Goto the home screen and in the bottom right hand corner there is a thing that looks like a gauge.. Click that for the speed test through the Booz.

That's how I ran it. From all the posts, I thought 30Mb is plenty. It's not buffering, the processor is slow and there are a LOT of dead streams.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
That's how I ran it. From all the posts, I thought 30Mb is plenty. It's not buffering, the processor is slow and there are a LOT of dead streams.

This is true processor can be a little slow and sometimes I hit some dead links. I'm very curious what the quad core is like. I'm really considering ordering another one to check it out.

slowride

Reaction score
I'm afraid this will go in the drawer with the Fire TV and Chromecast (though those are intuitive and more reliable). To be honest, I don't watch much TV so it doesn't take much to frustrate me to the point of giving up. Hours spent trying to figure this out are hours I could be in the shop.Back out to the shop to work on the '31......

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
I would call cable box Dave on that deal.. First have him show you how to erase and reinstall everything. If that doesn't fix it I would send it back for another one.

I'm wondering if this has to do with that deal Sony sent out?
Yes, I'm going to give him a call on Monday. Problem is, this thing only works right half the time through my hotspot at work, and then I can't call him and use box at same time cause the phone won't do both. Then I get home and can use the phone, box doesn't work, and Dave tells me it's my internet service. That doesn't make sense, when everything else is low-mid 20s and this is .4-.5.
I think the box is bad ass.. But you are a 100% right. No instructions no documentation etc.. It's ridiculous from that stand point. I have made a few simple videos that a lot of people found useful. I am thinking about making some better ones and organizing them for the Rdp members.
Again, as we talked, get Dave to shit can the crap Voxer support and have him start pumping out videos of ALL the stuff and shortcuts he knows on a YouTube channel. He could load a link to the channel directly into the box. I see this as the only way he will get long term loyalty and sales. At this point no F-in way am I buying another until there is better support. When he gets some support and dependability, I could probably sell a couple hundred of these things for him through work pretty darn quickly.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Rd has been the best support in my experience.

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
Just did the Gotham and Smartstream updates. Huge improvement! Thanks for the info!

Sigus

Above the wet spot
Reaction score
After many hours of messing around with the box, including sending it back to Dave to be checked out I am done!

What I have learned from messing with this deal is you can download XBMC for windows and use the bones of the concept with a laptop. Finding all the channels can be tricky but once you get it figured out it screams. (youtube is your friend)

There is something goofy with the way this box gets internet wired or WIFI.

Those that have boxes that work in their system are lucky and have a great entertainment venue.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
After many hours of messing around with the box, including sending it back to Dave to be checked out I am done!

What I have learned from messing with this deal is you can download XBMC for windows and use the bones of the concept with a laptop. Finding all the channels can be tricky but once you get it figured out it screams. (youtube is your friend)

There is something goofy with the way this box gets internet wired or WIFI.

Those that have boxes that work in their system are lucky and have a great entertainment venue.

So did you ever get a new box to try? Or is Dave just giving you a refund?

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score

Quitter :D

You're right though, the internet speed thing is puzzling. I'm getting 50-60k down and 50-60 up with my ISP. Before the upgrade the box was getting 10-15. After the upgrade it's miraculously getting 40-45ish. My box is Cat 6 to my router, I don't want to set it up on WiFi.

XBMC is pretty cool, and all in all I'm happy with the box. As others have said, it's kind of quirky, but it (XMBC) is awesome!

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
So is this really a $300 pain in the ass or what? What's the overall consensus?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
It's great but like i said in the very first threads u can download xmbc or
Find much cheaper
Boxes that run it. Your paying for someone to basically download and update all your cool apps

Sigus

Above the wet spot
Reaction score
So did you ever get a new box to try? Or is Dave just giving you a refund?

No new box or refund was offered. As mentioned I have learned a bunch from the experience about streaming. I have been using a laptop in my system for years as a media server so adding XBMC to it has opened up a bunch of new variables. I like the concept of the box but compared to a laptop or a PC it can't hold a candle to what's available to someone with a little patience and skill.

I will probably take a peak inside the box and see what makes it tic and why the connections are so unstable.

Sigus

Above the wet spot
Reaction score
Quitter :D

You're right though, the internet speed thing is puzzling. I'm getting 50-60k down and 50-60 up with my ISP. Before the upgrade the box was getting 10-15. After the upgrade it's miraculously getting 40-45ish. My box is Cat 6 to my router, I don't want to set it up on WiFi.

XBMC is pretty cool, and all in all I'm happy with the box. As others have said, it's kind of quirky, but it (XMBC) is awesome!

quitter.... Hell Chip I am just getting started 😉

I have hooked the box up several different ways, at one point I had it measuring 60. That lasted about ten minutes and the box lost it and dropped to 6. That was direct wired to modem with about a three foot cat 5. The variable is heat, when it gets going and warms up something takes a shit.

slowride

Reaction score
I spent a couple hours more playing with it and finally figured out how to make it more "cable-like". I've got the favorites set to the network and cable streams so if the wife wants to scroll through, it will access familiar stations. I'm a little more comfortable with it, but only time will tell if it becomes more than a novelty.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Yes, I'm going to give him a call on Monday. Problem is, this thing only works right half the time through my hotspot at work, and then I can't call him and use box at same time cause the phone won't do both. Then I get home and can use the phone, box doesn't work, and Dave tells me it's my internet service. That doesn't make sense, when everything else is low-mid 20s and this is .4-.5.

Again, as we talked, get Dave to shit can the crap Voxer support and have him start pumping out videos of ALL the stuff and shortcuts he knows on a YouTube channel. He could load a link to the channel directly into the box. I see this as the only way he will get long term loyalty and sales. At this point no F-in way am I buying another until there is better support. When he gets some support and dependability, I could probably sell a couple hundred of these things for him through work pretty darn quickly.
Dave (cable box dave [emoji1] ) has always answered my phonecalls immediately and helped me out with tech issues, Ive been really impressed actually.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
No new box or refund was offered. As mentioned I have learned a bunch from the experience about streaming. I have been using a laptop in my system for years as a media server so adding XBMC to it has opened up a bunch of new variables. I like the concept of the box but compared to a laptop or a PC it can't hold a candle to what's available to someone with a little patience and skill.

I will probably take a peak inside the box and see what makes it tic and why the connections are so unstable.

So did Dave check out your box? Did you send it to him and he returned it? I'm not understanding what actually transpired there? The problems you are describing sound somewhat limited to you? If you want I can shoot you out a spare to try or something when I get more in?

Sigus

Above the wet spot
Reaction score
So did Dave check out your box? Did you send it to him and he returned it? I'm not understanding what actually transpired there? The problems you are describing sound somewhat limited to you? If you want I can shoot you out a spare to try or something when I get more in?

Hey RD, many thanks for the offer. I did send it in to Dave, he loaded the new Gotham on it and checked it with his wire and wifi. It was all good so he shipped it back. Dave's service has been excellent.

I am planing to be in Havasu over the new year I will bring the box with me and if you care to you can try it. If it works for you then I will most likely donate it to who ever wants to use one. Or you can put it in your fleet of samplers and see what happens.

I am not sure whats different with my IPS that could cause the consistent low bps. Whats so odd to me is I work out of my home office and have no issues with any of my other devices. That said, I have shut everything down and gave this box a direct line to my modem, it worked for a bit then the speed dropped off to 6.

As an experiment I loaded XBMC onto a laptop to see if I could simulate the same issues. So far on wifi it has been working perfect. Through this process I have learned a lot and will most likely continue using the laptop for XBMC as it has more features and control. What I wont have are the local TV streams that Dave pays for. I am sure in time I will find a work around for them.

Shoot me your number and I will give you a call when I get to town.

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
The problems you are describing sound somewhat limited to you?

I'm having what sounds like the same problem as Sigus. It links up with my home wifi and works fine, 20 or so Mbps, then drops speed to .4 or so but is still connected. That or it links super slow and won't work at all.
Was waiting to see what his solution was before I called Dave again, but sounds like it hasn't been resolved.
Dave was dead set it is my DSL Internet, but my other 4 wifi units don't drop below 20 Mbps ever.

Sigus

Above the wet spot
Reaction score
I'm having what sounds like the same problem as Sigus. It links up with my home wifi and works fine, 20 or so Mbps, then drops speed to .4 or so but is still connected. That or it links super slow and won't work at all.
Was waiting to see what his solution was before I called Dave again, but sounds like it hasn't been resolved.
Dave was dead set it is my DSL Internet, but my other 4 wifi units don't drop below 20 Mbps ever.

Maybe its a Phoenix / Scottsdale thang!

Sigus

Above the wet spot
Reaction score
Could be! :D
You on Cox or Centurylink?

I am on Cox with a business account. I pay a premium for a guaranteed 60MPS. I have had Cox check the system and they say all good up to my firewall.

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
I am on Cox with a business account. I pay a premium for a guaranteed 60MPS. I have had Cox check the system and they say all good up to my firewall.

Well, it's not our providers then. I was just about to switch to Cox and double my bill to see if that helped.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Maybe its a Phoenix / Scottsdale thang!

The box don't like eastsiders.. Lol.

Its just weird to me.. Like I said I don't really sell these things. Dave sells a shit ton of them.. I have sold about 8 of them to my friends. Each one though I pulled out of the box, hooked it up and tried it to make sure it works and I haven't seen it. The Internet in Havasu is nowhere near as good as it is in big cities like phx so I don't think that would be the issue.. I am bummed to hear about it though because when these things are working they are impossible to beat.

I just came to SD for Christmas and I brought my box with me because normal tv sux.. Lol

RD

Summer Boater Winter Offroader

Reaction score
I'm also having the same speed problems. It worked really well before the software upgrade. I have Time Warner Cable and I pay for extra speed. When i test the speed on the cable box and compare it to my cell phone via OOKLA, the box doesnt come close.

wet hull

Reaction score
My box speed reads very low most of the time, both wifi/ Ethernet 1-2mpds. However I never get any buffering. I have 50mbds from time warner and its shows that on all other devices. At this point I am convinced its a glitch in the box that reads out lower then it actually is. Just my 2 cents.

Sigus

Above the wet spot
Reaction score
My box speed reads very low most of the time, both wifi/ Ethernet 1-2mpds. However I never get any buffering. I have 50mbds from time warner and its shows that on all other devices. At this point I am convinced its a glitch in the box that reads out lower then it actually is. Just my 2 cents.

I wouldn't be checking speeds if it would load up streams. Mine is just completely stalling. As mentioned in previous post I have loaded the software onto a windows 7 laptop and it screams.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I wouldn't be checking speeds if it would load up streams. Mine is just completely stalling. As mentioned in previous post I have loaded the software onto a windows 7 laptop and it screams.

Have u cleared ur cache and seen message that said it cleared not an error?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Mine is quirky says something about mash up and takes a while but finally clears

Sigus

Above the wet spot
Reaction score
Have u cleared ur cache and seen message that said it cleared not an error?

I got the box back from Dave after he loaded the version of Gotham along with the links. I suppose it the cache was cleared at that point. I really only used the box after that in different connection schemes to see how the speed was. I suppose in my fooling around the cache could be full so its worth a try hooking it back up and checking.

Frankly speaking at this point i have lost interest as the Laptop I have been working with is getting it done. Since yesterday XBCM has been upgraded to KODI 14 which I see as an issue with the box as it will need to be continual upgraded... or not.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I got the box back from Dave after he loaded the version of Gotham along with the links. I suppose it the cache was cleared at that point. I really only used the box after that in different connection schemes to see how the speed was. I suppose in my fooling around the cache could be full so its worth a try hooking it back up and checking.

Frankly speaking at this point i have lost interest as the Laptop I have been working with is getting it done. Since yesterday XBCM has been upgraded to KODI 14 which I see as an issue with the box as it will need to be continual upgraded... or not.

I'd like to get my hands on it and see if it works at my place.. If it doesn't I will give you mine and get another one. That whole program sounds ridiculous.