WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dodged a (doggie) bullet today

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Wifes 12 year old doggie has been losing weight as of recent. We were thinking the worse. Turns out she's diabetic. Better than the cancer we were thinking but means insulin shots daily.

919110_10200757789575763_1944288801_o.jpg Picture 026.jpg

Anyone else have any experience with doggie diabetes?

530RL

Reaction score
No experience with doggie diabetes but glad that little turkey will be around a while longer. :thumbup:

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
My parents have a Lhasa Apso with diabetes.

Advantage 1

Reaction score
Oh wow - no experience with diabetes, but I would assume once you get her dialed in, she will be be back to feeling good :thumbup:

Boat 405

Reaction score
No big deal. My parents dog has diabetes. She gets an insulin shot after each meal. After a little bit of time you will figure out just how many units of insulin the dog will need. Too much is just as bad as too little. My parents bought a little glucose meter and slowly figured it out. She got this when she was six. She is now 12. Been a great dog. The diabetes will cause blindness like in my parents dog. But seeing that your dog is older I don't think you'll have to worry much about that. Once you get the dog the insulin they need. It's like getting a new dog back! She will do great!

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
No big deal. My parents dog has diabetes. She gets an insulin shot after each meal. After a little bit of time you will figure out just how many units of insulin the dog will need. Too much is just as bad as too little. My parents bought a little glucose meter and slowly figured it out. She got this when she was six. She is now 12. Been a great dog. The diabetes will cause blindness like in my parents dog. But seeing that your dog is older I don't think you'll have to worry much about that. Once you get the dog the insulin they need. It's like getting a new dog back! She will do great!

That's exactly what I want to hear. Thanks for the encouraging words. :)

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
So after a week of twice a day insulin shots doggie seems better. Wife took her in today. Her blood sugar was down to 320ish from over 500. Need to up the dose a bit.
She seems to be a little more spry but the doc told the wife dogs are likes us. Everything starts to hurt when you get old. :(

Gelcoater

Reaction score
So after a week of twice a day insulin shots doggie seems better. Wife took her in today. Her blood sugar was down to 320ish from over 500. Need to up the dose a bit.
She seems to be a little more spry but the doc told the wife dogs are likes us. Everything starts to hurt when you get old. :(

What dog food are you feeding?Treats,snacks,etc?

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
What dog food are you feeding?Treats,snacks,etc?

Changed her food last year from low fat to low whatever because of stones in her intestines-bladder to be exact.
The wife is a very good zoo keeper.
We've got 3 dogs and 2 cats. They all pretty much want eat/piss/shit right at 4:30 every morning.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Just an update. Our old doggie Heidi is blind but still kicking.
Vet thinks blind because of a stroke probably diabetes related.
Still 2 insulin shots a day, after each meal. Wife is a great care taker.

Her about 10 years ago:
Picture 294.jpg

Last year:
DSCN3373 copy.jpg

She's pretty shaggy now. Don't want to traumatize her too much for a groom trip.

outboardrick

Reaction score
Just give her as many hugs and treats that she can stand, and then give her a few more :D
Best of luck in the days ahead, tough times.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Just an update. Took her to the groomer today for the first time since her issues. She was a bit nervous but sure looks and smells a lot better.

Heidi.jpg

She's still blind as a bat but hears and smells things just fine. Certainly living the good life around here.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just an update. Took her to the groomer today for the first time since her issues. She was a bit nervous but sure looks and smells a lot better.

View attachment 406134

She's still blind as a bat but hears and smells things just fine. Certainly living the good life around here.

Enjoy her every minute and spoil her like crazy!

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh we do. We boil a whole chicken every week just so we can have the chicken to mix with her regular food to make sure she eats. It works.

In Molly's final days, she was enjoying Costco roasted chicken, ground beef and rice. When she didn't want any of that, we knew....

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
In Molly's final days, she was enjoying Costco roasted chicken, ground beef and rice. When she didn't want any of that, we knew....

We're not there yet but know it's not too far away. I certainly (as does my wife who doesn't post or lurk) appreciate your concern and thoughts Mel.
Thank you.

purrfecttremor

Reaction score
We're not there yet but know it's not too far away. I certainly (as does my wife who doesn't post or lurk) appreciate your concern and thoughts Mel.
Thank you.
I know how tough this is from experiance and I'm so sorry you're going through
This!

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Great to hear Heidi is doing well!:thumbup: Gracie and Heidi are about the same age.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Update. Old blind brown Heidi dog doing better than expected in spite of her condition looking all festive for Thanksgiving. [emoji3]
View attachment 449543

I have shared the couch in your motorhome with that sweet girl. Somehow I missed this thread from 2014. Glad she is hanging in there.

Watching right now.:thumbup: Or until Gracie sees what's on TV. She freaks out when other dogs are on TV.

My dog growls and barks at Dogs on TV also...and cats and cows. :D

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Great to hear Heidi is doing well!:thumbup: Gracie and Heidi are about the same age.

It's so nice she's still kicking it. A little work at times getting old doggie to eat but she still does.

stoker22405

Reaction score
[

Anyone else have any experience with doggie diabetes?[/QUOTE]

We had a 11 year old miniature pincher who was diabetic for the last year or so of his life....Between insulin shots every time he ate...A pill in between meals , Prescription food and all the trips to the vet for blood work, It was a 10,000.00 year....
His character didnt really change to much....Just not as energetic..And he was partially blind due to the diabetes....
At the end he had kidney failure and we were forced to put him down....