WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

28' Magic Deckboat

JB in so cal

Reaction score
2005 with the HO for power. Trailer was made by Magic. When I ordered it the top and bottom was already put together. I chose everything from power to audio, interior colors and other misc. stuff. From order to pick up was about 2 weeks. This boat is the 79th DB Magic made. Its been mostly trouble free with the only expenses being regular maintenance, tires and a few minor parts.
Blackberry 039.jpg
The most Ive had in the boat was 12 adults, 4 kids under 12, a VERY full cooler under the rear seat and 1/2 fuel. It could barely get out of its own way but once on plane rode very smooth. Guess that what happens with about 3000 pounds of people and stuff...these days its mostly just my wife and I and the dogs...they seem to enjoy seeing where were headed!
dog aug 2012.jpg
One of the bigger joys I have experienced was teaching my God daughter to drive the boat. She was a quick learner and one day we were at Ski cove in the south part of the lake and I asked her if she wanted to drive back to Black Meadow...she couldnt jump in the driver's seat fast enough.
Since the boat is so easy to drive with the cat bottom its a great boat for a kid to learn on. Of course I wasnt too far away if she got too nervous...
2012-06-24 18_29_59.jpg

This has been the best boat of the 4 Ive owned and I plan on keeping it for a while.

riverbrian

Chloe's Dad
Reaction score
Beautiful boat. I showed this to my wife because we have a Lavey deck boat, and the exact same dogs 😄

We even have that picture hanging in our living room.

Ultra247

Reaction score
Got my 2005 Magic Deck in 2014. Standing jokes are to call them VW's because there are so many of them out there. With that said, they bring top dollar on the market and are very popular.
Mine has a procharged 496 in it at 3.5 psi (500HP). My family has owned 18" tunnel hull outboard, 21 Eliminator and Ultra 247. The magic is by far the most popular boat. The open space is unbeatable. The ride on Havasu in rough water is great.
Top speed for me so far has been 68ish with a 26 pitch prop. (There's a little bit left) The most people that I've had on the boat is 10. You definitely notice the weight difference. The interesting issue is that with 4 people and 1/2 tanks of gas, a 26 pitch prop, it takes about 4000 rpm to get on plane and it falls off plane at 3500 rpm. With a 24 pitch prop, you can get on plane at 3500 rpm and it drops off plane below 3000. So, no cruising under 3000 rpm. It takes a lot of fuel to be running those rpm's all the time.
Build quality is good. The screws in the door panels tend to work loose regularly so you have to silicone them in place.
Another common joke is that no other boat can make a 496 sound the way that a Magic does. The rear drive box greatly enhances your motor noise so it's going to be loud.
I've been told that you can ski or tube behind it. With those planing speeds, it would be really tough. I'm adding rear tabs to help it get on plane and stay on plane at lower RPM's and speeds. This is not a ski boat. It's a cruising party boat. It moves a lot of people from place to place regardless of the water conditions. Feedback is that they are expensive, quality is good with lots of ways to upgrade. They're big to trailer and go through gas like crazy if you are cruising. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat!
Magic 102217-4.jpg

Reactions: DWC