WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

8.2l mag PCM

Hammer

Reaction score
No fun [emoji107]

Either is a boat that catches on fire with your baby on board. Don't be a dumbass, be responsible. Excessive heat in an enclosed area is nothing to mess around with....

Shortdeck

Reaction score
From what I'm taking it's not exactly a problem? Basically the cats run hot in cars or boats? (I'm no expert I'm asking) I guess my boat and another will have these diverters put in to try and help the water distribute evenly? Not sure if this is like a 100% fix or if we are trying it out? I have mercs number in my packet I'm sure I could call and get some real answers. The only boats I know of w this engine have this problem same side. Does any other member have this engine and not that problem?

I have the same motor with only about 20 hours. No heat issues with the cats. The paint does burn off at the base of the manifolds where they bolt up to the motor. But I was told that's normal. The risers on mine only get warm, not hot.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I have the same motor with only about 20 hours. No heat issues with the cats. The paint does burn off at the base of the manifolds where they bolt up to the motor. But I was told that's normal. The risers on mine only get warm, not hot.

Thank u. I won't run the boat obviously this isn't normal as I was thinking

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Hey V .You need to talk to Mercury about this now( email works) . They have a fix for the cooling problem.Some in line valve to be installed .
I had talked to them about week or so . They are sending the part to Cobra for the install.They even called Cobra and told them about getting the
part sent to them.
They know it a cooling problem and are very good about getting this fixed asap.(damn cats )
I have the same problem left side getting hot, burning the paint at the elbow.(I do not have a hatch problem). Just exhaust getting too hot.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score

What year is your engine ?

CoolCruzin

Reaction score

Interesting . Exhaust not getting hot. . .

Shortdeck

Reaction score
Interesting . Exhaust not getting hot. . .

The risers I have now with cats get hotter than the last boat I had without them, but not so hot you can't touch them. Even long runs like Thompson Bay to Havasu Springs without stopping I haven't noticed any heat issues. No paint peeling on the riser
Unrelated, I have ran it out of fuel and it vapor locked. The fuel pump and cool fuel module are factory mounted to close to the exhaust.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
V, may want to check the cat to make sure it didn't melt the internal substrate. They operate hot but there's a limit to the temps they can take.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
how's this for hot .

Attachments

• exhaust elbow.jpg
    exhaust elbow.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 58

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
I've read what's going on here . In my opinion you just don't know how to 'read through all the info, and get to the facts' . Sure this is the internet and everything on the internet is "true", but you only need look at history/back round of a few of the posters here . B&D Marine (as one knowledgeable example) and others have directed you on how to cure this problem, and yet you want to run the boat again BEFORE you get it fixed . Just as you have been 'acting' in the political threads, you choose to 'act' like you know anything about your problem, when, experts here (Mercruiser Certified Techs) tell you how and what to do . I had hoped that your 'union job' would be a positive for you, then your 'self employed business' would have taught you something, trying to fix your kitchen vent problems, brought out a whole other level of 'cluelessness', but to see here that you are still 'wandering around with no clear direction of thought', this tells me to "step back and let you go" . No disrespect, but I'm just too old to waste my time on a guy who 'wanders around asking questions while never really serious' about what he is doing . Good luck, there are many here who can help you, in many areas .

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I've read what's going on here . In my opinion you just don't know how to 'read through all the info, and get to the facts' . Sure this is the internet and everything on the internet is "true", but you only need look at history/back round of a few of the posters here . B&D Marine (as one knowledgeable example) and others have directed you on how to cure this problem, and yet you want to run the boat again BEFORE you get it fixed . Just as you have been 'acting' in the political threads, you choose to 'act' like you know anything about your problem, when, experts here (Mercruiser Certified Techs) tell you how and what to do . I had hoped that your 'union job' would be a positive for you, then your 'self employed business' would have taught you something, trying to fix your kitchen vent problems, brought out a whole other level of 'cluelessness', but to see here that you are still 'wandering around with no clear direction of thought', this tells me to "step back and let you go" . No disrespect, but I'm just too old to waste my time on a guy who 'wanders around asking questions while never really serious' about what he is doing . Good luck, there are many here who can help you, in many areas .

Get a sense of humor. If the person who built my boat said it's a common issue merc knows about and it's not doing harm I'm going to believe him over a bunch of guys on the internet. [emoji57] oh and hood electrical and duct are all fixed. I installed a duct less carbon filter and ran new power from an outlet behind the fridge as I couldn't find the short [emoji57]

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Maybe u feel like U know more than Jeff the owner of cobra?maybe more than mercury too? [emoji57] did unjust get in the fucker after posting the thread and run it full speed? No I posted a thread asking questions then after getting mixed answers I went to cobra

Sbarry

Reaction score
Thank u. I won't run the boat obviously this isn't normal as I was thinking

Maybe you missed V's post... Lighten up Francis [emoji23] Some serious pent up aggression there lol

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Have Cobra replace the exhaust hose as well. The heat may have shortened it's life and even though that connection is above the water line why chance future drama with it.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Maybe u feel like U know more than Jeff the owner of cobra?maybe more than mercury too? [emoji57] did unjust get in the fucker after posting the thread and run it full speed? No I posted a thread asking questions then after getting mixed answers I went to cobra

Viscous on that note I should tell you that ya never know who you are talking too on the internet. AZGeo (or George) is a pretty sharp guy when it comes to things marine. The Tech's at Ilmore are on here (although they won't tell you who they are) There are Tech's at mercury that are on here (although they won't tell you who they are) There are several Merc Certified mechanics that are on here (some will tell you who they are).

I know this because I give them all t-shirts at Desert Storm and other boating events and we talk about current subjects on the board..

RD

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Viscous on that note I should tell you that ya never know who you are talking too on the internet. AZGeo (or George) is a pretty sharp guy when it comes to things marine. The Tech's at Ilmore are on here (although they won't tell you who they are) There are Tech's at mercury that are on here (although they won't tell you who they are) There are several Merc Certified mechanics that are on here (some will tell you who they are).

I know this because I give them all t-shirts at Desert Storm and other boating events and we talk about current subjects on the board..

RD

Apparently he knows duct work and electrical too [emoji4]

Hammer

Reaction score
Get a sense of humor. If the person who built my boat said it's a common issue merc knows about and it's not doing harm I'm going to believe him over a bunch of guys on the internet. [emoji57] oh and hood electrical and duct are all fixed. I installed a duct less carbon filter and ran new power from an outlet behind the fridge as I couldn't find the short [emoji57]

So melting carpet and burning paint are a common issue and it's not doing any harm?...

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
So melting carpet and burning paint are a common issue and it's not doing any harm?

That's what I've been told by cobra. I will call mercury today and talk to them about it. Or maybe I should email and post it up so everyone can see what they have to say about it

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Like i sad the three boats I know of w this engine have the same problem. Obviously merc knows about it if there's a solution to fix the problem. I will call though

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Talked to mercury they said cobra is an authorized merc service. Still kind of beat around the bush no one really wants to take the blame on this one but sounds like merc knows there is an issue w that engine and said it's a fairly easy fix. So as of now I guess I'm going out to needles to grab the boat and bring it back.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
They recommended not running it [emoji4] in my opinion damage is done though since I've run the boat hard a couple times w this issue [emoji51]will have cobra go through everything and do any warranty work that is needed

CobraDave

Reaction score
I wonder if your boat were to catch fire would Mercruiser fit the bill... Likely not. Glad we don't have to find out!

Singleton

Reaction score
That's what I've been told by cobra. I will call mercury today and talk to them about it. Or maybe I should email and post it up so everyone can see what they have to say about it

If that is what you were told by Cobra, the customer service is not what it used to be. Nothing should be burning, or getting that hot, period!

I would take the boat to someone else to resolve the issue. If your above stmt is accurate, I lost all confidence in Cobra to fix the issue. The day your boat catches on fire you will be pissed you listened to them.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I've always been more than satisfied w their customer service. I'll keep everyone updated on if this diverter fixes the problem. The boat is insured I guess now is a good time to take a good look at the policy

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
The damn cat are getting too hot period. It all points to mercury and the new Calif law to use the cat manifolds .
This is only a calif problem from what I had read . Mercury can't say that ---yet thou.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Outnumbered
09-23-09, 09:43 AM
Dual cats under a closed engine hatch=damn hot:hotdevil:hotdevil:hotdevil

Probably have to install some type of cooling fans too...sounds spendy and heavy:thumbsdown

That came up when I googled it

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If he wants to run it more power to him.. Lol. Good luck vicious..:).

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
This thread answers some questions I'll paste a couple posts....If one carefully reads the EPA requirements on the new emissions engines it requires that the emissions system must be warrantied for three years to meet EPA requirements. If the engine quits working because the emissions system stops working or it damages the engine with improper operation then the warranty would apply to the whole engine. If the engine other than the emissions system alone breaks or fails due to any other proven cause beyond emissions or from misuse or mis-service, then the three year warranty would not apply as I read the EPA requirements. There was a lot of conversation at NMMA over the last several years about this very item and the EPA put out some pretty clear definitions for the manufacturers as to what had to be warrantied and since this is such a new area with such few engines of this type built and put in service so far the real problems and battles of this issue have yet to be fought! This will get ugly before its over and I for one am still not sure this whole catalytic marine emissions systems will ultimately work out long term, only time will tell.
Mercury marine is still the 800lb gorilla in the room so it will also be interesting to see how they handle this issue? Could get interesting!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
1) They are kind of a ***** to rig with tailpipes and Captain's call as the manifold/cc exit is about a foot farther aft than any other engine.
2) The cc definitely makes the engine compartment VERY hot. Heat in the box slows you down; no matter what engine you've got.

Other than that, they appear to be great motors.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Not planning on running the boat just wanted to show it's a merc problem and not a cobra problem for all the haters. Cobra will fix the problem for me but they didn't build this hot running cat engine. What cobra said is cats run hot in cars or boats that's normal. This engine is warrantied so any damage i do I should probably do now that's how I see it. Of course merc isn't going to openly admit their engines have this issue but I'd dare anyone of those guys to keep their hands on the cats [emoji13]

Gelcoater

Reaction score
1) They are kind of a ***** to rig with tailpipes and Captain's call as the manifold/cc exit is about a foot farther aft than any other engine.
2) The cc definitely makes the engine compartment VERY hot. Heat in the box slows you down; no matter what engine you've got.

Other than that, they appear to be great motors.

Not planning on running the boat just wanted to show it's a merc problem and not a cobra problem for all the haters. Cobra will fix the problem for me but they didn't build this hot running cat engine. What cobra said is cats run hot in cars or boats that's normal. This engine is warrantied so any damage i do I should probably do now that's how I see it. Of course merc isn't going to openly admit their engines have this issue but I'd dare anyone of those guys to keep their hands on the cats [emoji13]
I think you're confusing the word problem with the real word here,fault.
I've never said a bad word about Cobra,nor do I intend to.
The way I see it though,the issues with heat emissions in CC equipped engines isn't the fault of the boat mfg's but is now their problem to deal with.
It sounds like your engine is having issues,Merc's fault.
From your post above however,the CC equipped engines do produce more under hatch heat,and it's unavoidable.
That creates the problem for the mfg's to deal with,Cobra and all the rest.Properly ventilating the bilge/under hatch area.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I think you're confusing the word problem with the real word here,fault.
I've never said a bad word about Cobra,nor do I intend to.
The way I see it though,the issues with heat emissions in CC equipped engines isn't the fault of the boat mfg's but is now their problem to deal with.
It sounds like your engine is having issues,Merc's fault.
From your post above however,the CC equipped engines do produce more under hatch heat,and it's unavoidable.
That creates the problem for the mfg's to deal with,Cobra and all the rest.Properly ventilating the bilge/under hatch area.

Good post. I believe you are correct [emoji106]

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
I look at two ways that I can see .
1) Have the new part installed and see how that works.
2) change out the manifolds with no cats, screw the new laws /reg .

For me it will be see how it work with the new part from Merc.
If that don't work then it's out with those exhaust manifolds and install maybe some CMI headers.

I do have to say that mercury had acted fast .Two days talking about it (via E-mail)and they made a call to Cobra to arrange to get this part installed .
Had a call on the third day from Cobra to bring the boat down .Now that is good customer service . Will have this done in a couple months .

Sbarry

Reaction score

If that don't work then it's out with those exhaust manifolds and install maybe some CMI headers.

Exactly!! [emoji106] and really, who's going to ever know you changed them out? The cat police? Not like you have to get a smog check.... But then again it is Commiefornia, so I guess just give it time

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
They shouldn't be getting that hot.

RD

How hot should cats get? I've never owned a boat with cats and I don't know what the protocol for them is.

Sounds like Mercruiser has some issues to work out.

Shortdeck

Reaction score

I do have to say that mercury had acted fast .Two days talking about it (via E-mail)and they made a call to Cobra to arrange to get this part installed .
Had a call on the third day from Cobra to bring the boat down .Now that is good customer service . Will have this done in a couple months .

After Cobra installs the new part to fix the heat problem, can you post a picture of what it is? I'm curious about this diverted deal.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
How hot should cats get? I've never owned a boat with cats and I don't know what the protocol for them is.

Sounds like Mercruiser has some issues to work out.

The answer with an unlimited cooling resource is... "What is not hot enough to melt shit in the engine bay for 200 Alex". :D

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
After Cobra installs the new part to fix the heat problem, can you post a picture of what it is? I'm curious about this diverted deal.

I'm going to bring my boat home next week and try to get that done ASAP wanted to take a trip before jan 23

Shortdeck

Reaction score
From Mercury

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420493358.806639.jpg

I've working on the boat lately on out of curiosity wanted to see if I had that restrictor. I don't. I double checked the exhaust piping and found no signs of excessive heat. Good luck with the fix.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
View attachment 384274

I've working on the boat lately on out of curiosity wanted to see if I had that restrictor. I don't. I double checked the exhaust piping and found no signs of excessive heat. Good luck with the fix.

How many hours on engine? Have u run it hard for a long period of time?

r1ver_rat

Reaction score
I would recommend a reverse engine flush. After looking at your pics, I noticed you beach your boat. There us a good chance you sucked up sand and a small amount is lodged in the manifold. This can cause a manifold to get hotter than normal. Had a HO go in limp mode for this reason. I had sand stuck in one side of the manifold.