WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Go Daddy - pulls super bowl Commercial

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I didn't like the commercial. Didn't find it even remotely funny. :thumbsdown

C-2

Reaction score
I liked it. Besides, now everybody will be wondering what they're gonna do next. Kind of a shot across the bow before game day.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of that commercial, but I would never expect a company to retract it from their plans to air it during the Superbowl. From my perspective, I don't like the commercial, but oh well, life goes on. It's ridiculous to me that people get so offended that they demand that people and companies change to accommodate their wishes. At what point did people stop shrugging off things that they didn't agree with?

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I liked it. Besides, now everybody will be wondering what they're gonna do next. Kind of a shot across the bow before game day.
What's next. lol Puppy falls out of the back of the truck, gets nailed by a semi, then the mountain men come and eat the road kill. Cut to blonde lady retracting the CL add as the puppy is no longer available.:champagne:

H20-ski

Long Member
Reaction score
Ok, I read the article this time. :rolleyes

The problem is caving into those people. They should have told them to fuck off.

GRADS

Reaction score
Good thing BoatsandBlondes wasn't driving the train when the puppy got near the tracks or the commercial would of only been 10 seconds long.:rolleyes

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
If you guys think they leaked the commercial to only find out people got upset and so they pulled it, Somewhere in florida there is a guy selling waterfront property you should get in touch with.

This is Viral marketing at it's finest, you guys are all talking about Go Daddy now, and the superbowl isn't for another 5 days. :p

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
If you guys think they leaked the commercial to only find out people got upset and so they pulled it, Somewhere in florida there is a guy selling waterfront property you should get in touch with.

This is Viral marketing at it's finest, you guys are all talking about Go Daddy now, and the superbowl isn't for another 5 days. :p

The old adage of "any publicity is good publicity" type deal. Those who didn't see the commercial, will still recognize the GoDaddy name.

And I don't agree with giving into the rights nazis, but it was pretty cold towards the pup to sell his loyal lil' ass. :thumbsdown

Did it make anyone recall the Steven Segal movie where at the start of the movie a creep in a station wagon threw a puppy in a bag out the window? Segal rescued the pup and in the last scene of the movie, ran into the dickhead whom he proceeded to cold cock, and the puppy lifted his leg, then pissed on the guy where he laid.:skull:D

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Most likely got far more publicity pulling it than running it.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I think they should have pulled it because it's one of the dumbest commercials I've ever seen. They should just stick to hot chicks commercials. :D

I didn't like the commercial. Didn't find it even remotely funny. :thumbsdown

I laughed when I saw it.

Ok, I read the article this time. :rolleyes

The problem is caving into those people. They should have told them to fuck off.

While I agree with this.. I suspect...

It's more of this.. Everyones talking about Go Dadddy.. People start to condemn the company (but still gettting publicity), now they get to come out at the end of this thing being the heroes, and the company that cares.. They got to use the "SuperBowl" previous to it even happening for marketing, and now still get to use the SuperBowl for whatever commercial they were going to air to begin with.

In reading some of the quotes in the article, this one stood out at me the most..

"Every year animal are euthanized across America, over 7 million each year because lifetime commitments are seen as disposable commodities, able to be bought, traded and sold like an X Box," says Baldwin.

Not to sound like a dick, but animals (all animals) are absolutely commodities. It is our personal emotions, and feelings that will change our dog from a commodity into a member of our family etc.. But the fact is the dog had some value, you paid for it, and it's your property. You are responsible for your property. You can sell your property. You can give away your property. etc..

While that commercial displayed that as a joke at the end, and it might have ruffled some feathers to show a spotlight on that fact.. It doesn't change the fact that it's absolutely true.

I've always joked that Sasha is my 65.00 dog.. That's because I spent 65.00 to get her. I've always also joked that for 75.00 you can take her home today. While I'm joking, the joke would lead to some truths. (As all jokes do). The # wouldn't be 75, but if someone had to have her I'd have to think about what the # would be, but there would be a #.

Cornballs on the other hand. If someone wanted him.. Couple of bucks? Some spare change? half smoked Cigarette? Paperclip? How about some pocket lint..
If someone even held onto the leash for more then a few minutes, they'd have themselves a new dog. :D

RD

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
You guys would laugh if you knew all the behind the scenes drama that happens between every ad agency, and their clients, when it comes to Super Bowl spots.

Its a massive cluster-eff...potential to be hugely rewarding, or career-ending.

GRADS

Reaction score
That commercial pissed me off so much that I cancelled my renewals for all of my domain names that I own through them.....If anyone wants HavasuDavesPlace.com or HavasuDaves.com they're available now.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
You guys would laugh if you knew all the behind the scenes drama that happens between every ad agency, and their clients, when it comes to Super Bowl spots.

Its a massive cluster-eff...potential to be hugely rewarding, or career-ending.

Lived through enough of that to know some of the "creative" people on staff are....... a little out there.:p

Old Texan

Reaction score
Not to sound like a dick, but animals (all animals) are absolutely commodities. It is our personal emotions, and feelings that will change our dog from a commodity into a member of our family etc.. But the fact is the dog had some value, you paid for it, and it's your property. You are responsible for your property. You can sell your property. You can give away your property. etc..

While that commercial displayed that as a joke at the end, and it might have ruffled some feathers to show a spotlight on that fact.. It doesn't change the fact that it's absolutely true.

I've always joked that Sasha is my 65.00 dog.. That's because I spent 65.00 to get her. I've always also joked that for 75.00 you can take her home today. While I'm joking, the joke would lead to some truths. (As all jokes do). The # wouldn't be 75, but if someone had to have her I'd have to think about what the # would be, but there would be a #.

Cornballs on the other hand. If someone wanted him.. Couple of bucks? Some spare change? half smoked Cigarette? Paperclip? How about some pocket lint..
If someone even held onto the leash for more then a few minutes, they'd have themselves a new dog. :D

RD

You've got a cold heart Mr Grinch......:skull

As far as the commercial, it likely was a calculated ploy. It also could be considered tacky and poorly scripted with a warped sense of humor or plain inconsideration. I'm not in the ad biz, but I'm a career sales person who understands the risk of offending potential business. Using a cute little puppy with the captured emotions displayed quite clearly, then turning on him coldly at the moment of joy is what backfired on the writer. If indeed it was a true ad, it would have been better written with a comedic overtone like a Garfield type character that got screwed over. Basically if a real commercial, it likely turned off as many as saw some dark humor.....What kind of person fucks with puppies?????? Mr Grinch?;)

C-2

Reaction score
Mobster - GoDaddy fan.

Noted :thumbup:

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
How is this sad/cruel?
The puppy gets bumped out the truck (ok sad) but manages to find his way home....happy ending.
The puppy now gets to go to his new family ( nice young married couple with 1 year old:) ) And grow old part of a family....happy ending.
The breeder makes a little money to help raise more beautiful puppies to make other families happy in the future....Many happy endings.

Where's the problem?:rolleyes:D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You've got a cold heart Mr Grinch......:skull

As far as the commercial, it likely was a calculated ploy. It also could be considered tacky and poorly scripted with a warped sense of humor or plain inconsideration. I'm not in the ad biz, but I'm a career sales person who understands the risk of offending potential business. Using a cute little puppy with the captured emotions displayed quite clearly, then turning on him coldly at the moment of joy is what backfired on the writer. If indeed it was a true ad, it would have been better written with a comedic overtone like a Garfield type character that got screwed over. Basically if a real commercial, it likely turned off as many as saw some dark humor.....What kind of person fucks with puppies?????? Mr Grinch?;)

LOL.. I'm not a grinch. I'm just saying when it comes to the facts of it that dog is a commodity, our emotions aside aren't going to change that. The Pet Industry is a huge industry. The aftermarket pet industry is massively huge that plays exactly on those emotions you were referring too.

RD

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
How is this sad/cruel?
The puppy gets bumped out the truck (ok sad) but manages to find his way home....happy ending.
The puppy now gets to go to his new family ( nice young married couple with 1 year old:) ) And grow old part of a family....happy ending.
The breeder makes a little money to help raise more beautiful puppies to make other families happy in the future....Many happy endings.

Where's the problem?:rolleyes:D
all those happy endings, for a second I thought I was in that Asian math partner thread...

poncho

Reaction score
What's next. lol Puppy falls out of the back of the truck, gets nailed by a semi, then the mountain men come and eat the road kill. Cut to blonde lady retracting the CL add as the puppy is no longer available.:champagne:

Someone gets it, the commercial was in poor taste.....when i saw it my reaction was who the hell green lighted this....

Singleton

Reaction score

This is 100% correct based on my phone call this afternoon with the corp controller.

They shot more then 1 commercial and will be showing another one during the SB.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Someone gets it, the commercial was in poor taste.....when i saw it my reaction was who the hell green lighted this....

^^^^ This...

While I wouldn't run down the street screaming "Go-Daddy" are bad guys...I absolutely wouldn't do business with them.

CC

C-2

Reaction score
What does Vegas say?

So yeah, that's a win.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Strangly similar to Budweiser's SuperBowl commercial...only difference is Bud does it with class and style...

Rexone

an ordinary American
Reaction score
I'm transferring the few domains I have registered with Go Daddy. This is why. Some know I am active in dog rescue helping and volunteering to help them.

The commercial inferred that puppies are a commodity. In the dog breeding world there are what are considered "puppy mills" and there are what are considered "responsible breeders". They are not the same. Puppy mills lock breeding dogs in small wire cages their entire lives strictly for breeding, in abhorrent conditions. Dogs rescued from puppy mills are usually sick, undernourished, unsocialized, basically a mess. Puppy mills generally sell dogs on places like Craigslist, and to pet stores. Buy a dog from a pet store you better find out where the dog was bred, because many carry diseases and are sick coming from puppy mills. The Godaddy commercial left the viewer with the impression that the puppy was a commodity strictly bred for money, the puppy mill model dog.

Puppy mills are partly responsible for the overpopulation of dogs today in the United States. (a significant part). 10000 dogs die each day in U.S. shelters. How many of these dogs would not have to die if people were educated on what puppy mills are, the conditions that dogs are bred in, knowing that there is NO purpose other than making money, no planning as to breed purity or disease prevention, no conditions of humane treatment. They are disgusting shitholes for the most part many concentrated in the mid west.

Contrarily responsible breeders breed dogs for a purpose beyond money. Breed lines are planned, animals are treated humanely, vetted properly, with room to run and play and be dogs. Many responsible breeders also participate in dog rescue efforts. They do home checks, background checks. Not any scumbag buying a dog for a bait dog off craigslist can buy from a good breeder. Almost anyone can buy from puppy mills for any purpose. If you think dog fighting and bait dogs are not big business think again. Dogs on Craigslist are prime targets for bait dog brokers. These assholes buy dogs and sell to dog fighting organizers for the soul purpose of being torn apart by large breed dogs training to fight. The same assholes that steal dogs from your yard and sell them to dog fighting orgs.

So fuck Go Daddy. That's my take. Go Daddy could have easily done this ad from the rescue angle and had a great ad but chose the commodity route instead. Plus it was a clear copycat of the Bud commercial (which is great as usual) and failed miserably at that angle also, the ad is not even close to Bud ad's quality or class. Bud does not even have to mention they sell beer, yet their ads exude brand recognition and class.

NdaWind

Reaction score

Not easy making a great commercial in 5 days. Saw the commercial after the decided to pull it and thought to myself very clever marketing. I am sure their real commercial is going to be slam dunk

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Truth.
Il'l have an interesting story about that, I can't post it until after the game.

Well if you can't post that unitl after the game...can you at least post the final score and which team takes home the bacon?

:D

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I thought it was ironically humorous, and actually thought that the little guy was headed off to a better place, IE: a family that picked him specifically, paid money, and is pretty certain to spoil the little bastard.
I chuckled at his "WTF!?" look as the van hauls him off! I mean, it isn't like they beat the little guy, they shipped him off to a family. :thumbup:

We support our local humane society, and all our cats and the several pups we've had were all rescues.

Having said that, I really didn't see the big problem with it...although I can easily understand how active rescuers like Mike could view it differently.

500bbc

Reaction score

The person who said this is going to be considered in such poor taste that a week before it's aired there will be so many complaints that we will "pull" it and everyone will be wanting to see it, weigh in and discuss it for weeks.:thumbup:

Old Texan

Reaction score
I thought it was ironically humorous, and actually thought that the little guy was headed off to a better place, IE: a family that picked him specifically, paid money, and is pretty certain to spoil the little bastard.
I chuckled at his "WTF!?" look as the van hauls him off! I mean, it isn't like they beat the little guy, they shipped him off to a family. :thumbup:

We support our local humane society, and all our cats and the several pups we've had were all rescues.

Having said that, I really didn't see the big problem with it...although I can easily understand how active rescuers like Mike could view it differently.

It's all how it was perceived. I saw it as Mike did and with my afterthoughts on how Mr C and you saw it T, I can now view it that way also. But the commercial premise to me is going to hurt as well as harm GoDaddy in the long term. Sure they'll have the name recognition publicity, but how many folks like Mike are going to pull business. Several in this small group of posters in one thread on the vast internet of threads, indicates they will lose business.

The bottomline to me is, there are a great deal of shoddy ad writers and folks get sick of seeing the lame shit that passes for positive paid advertising. Frankly I don't know a great deal about GoDaddy other than Danica Patrick represents them. I don't care to know any more about them and with crap ad stunts like this one, will likely go out of my way if they ever become something among like services I'd choose to use.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Why pull it, everyone's already seen it...:rolleyes

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Just curious.
How many of you have pure breed dogs?
How many of those dogs were located using the internet?
How many were bought from (dare I say) a breeder.

500bbc

Reaction score
Commercials in bad taste never leave an impression.

[video=youtube;LaiJ0mPbbdk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaiJ0mPbbdk[/video]

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
Pussifaction of America.

100%

Anyone whom is offended by this spot, who also has purchased any animal for their company, companionship or otherwise is participating is a glaring hypocrisy.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I just watched the Budweiser commercial. The GoDaddy spot is a 100% spoof.