WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Old cell phone can be free surveillance cameras

sirbob

Reaction score
Turn Old Cellphone Into Home Surveillance Camera http://www.nbclosangeles.com/invest...-Into-Home-Surveillance-Camera-292044851.html

When Sean Cohen isn't answering phones at work, he's buying them from customers.

Cohen purchases used 15 to 20 cellphones and tablets every day, generally for pennies on the dollar, unless they're almost new.

Tenants Blame Landlord for Fumigation Burglary
But what some sellers may not know is that their device can be used as a home surveillance camera.

Jeff Zisner of AEGIS Security and Investigations says old cellphones and tablets with cameras can be re-used as security cameras for free.

Couples Say Videographer Ruined Their Wedding Memories
"You set the camera up using Wi-Fi so you don't need to have a cellphone activated on an account, you don't need a monthly fee," he said.

All you need is to download an app. During a demonstration, we chose the Alfred app for Android - it's free.

Updates: Download the FREE NBCLA App
Zisner set up a tablet in the NBC4 I-Team office and a phone in areas around the newsroom.

"The app will alert you that there is motion that's in your house that's not authorized," he said.

You can monitor it live on your cellphone from work or elsewhere.

One of the benefits about using your old phone is that it doesn't just give you video, it gives you audio, so as you see a burglar in your house you can tell them to get out.

"And then the next call you make is to law enforcement so they can respond," Zisner said.

If police arrive too late, you still have a recording of exactly who burglarized your home and peace of mind - all for free.

You can turn your phone into a mobile home security camera with the following apps:

For iPhone:

Pocket Spy Cam
Presence
For Android:

Alfred
Motion Detector
WardenCam

sirbob

Reaction score
How did this end up here?

I guess I was asleep at the wheel when I posted;-/

Oh well can't figure out how to move on my ipad

72Hondo

Reaction score
I would guess it would drain the shit out of your battery. I am going to look into this though. Ton of old iPhones laying around.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
and if a burglar see it they will probably steal it. so if you could still track the gps maybe a good thing

C-2

Reaction score
F*in great, just last night gave a 4s to the drunk neighbor lady who had an episode and lost her phone (again)....

Seems pretty cool, I have a Droid that I use on Wifi - I have 3 numbers ringing into it, texts, and Skype (phone/video, no text) for $3 month....no $40/mo. phone service, but it works as a phone, lol. :thumbup:

Several neighborhood kids too have old 4s phones, no service, that they run on wifi for Facetime and texts.