WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pro Boats for service in San Dimas??

Inland Air Balance

Certified in something
Reaction score
Anybody use them? Good, bad or otherwise?
For the last 15 years I've been using shops in Havasu. But the old Cheetah is home here in San Dimas for the foreseeable future. Family issues have brought her home and its only been home twice in 15 years so I have no idea where to take it for service. And we are no going back to Havasu any time soon.
Any recommendations for this shop or any others that maybe nearby would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
I've bought parts from there several times. The chick that worked at Rex Marine forever now works the desk there. Anyways... I've never serviced there.

Give Joel at Rodes Way a call. For basic service stuff, he's where I go.

http://www.rodeswayboats.com/

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I have also bought parts from em, but never used em for service. I do everything on my own.

We do a LOT of work for Joel. He seems like a pretty stand up guy. :thumbup:

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
if they have any relation to the one in corona/ murreta area stay clear :grumble:

Joel at rodes
or give Cobra a call they will work on it :D

240Hallett

Reaction score
Pro boats guy is kind of a dick. According to him there are no legit shops in Havasu.
So I've heard...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Anybody use them? Good, bad or otherwise?
For the last 15 years I've been using shops in Havasu. But the old Cheetah is home here in San Dimas for the foreseeable future. Family issues have brought her home and its only been home twice in 15 years so I have no idea where to take it for service. And we are no going back to Havasu any time soon.
Any recommendations for this shop or any others that maybe nearby would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Prime Marine - http://www.primemarineusa.com/
Quality Performance - http://www.qualityperformancemarine.com/
Concept Marine - http://www.conceptmarine.net/

Are all shops that I trust.. They aren't as expensive as you would think either. I could list a few more if you want, but those are all local to you.

Pro boats guy is kind of a dick. According to him there are no legit shops in Havasu.
So I've heard...

That's ironic, because I can think of a lot of shops in Havasu I'd have no problem using.. But I can only think of a few in CA that I would use. LOL

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Check with brian at B&D in el monte

I would second and third that. Brian has been a real pleasure to deal with on the stoker project. One of the very few people in the marine industry that has proven himself reliable and to top it his knowledge is second to none.

Spot

Reaction score
I used the Pro Boats guy and I had a very good experience with him. Very knowledgeable.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I used to use ProBoats for a few years on my Howard Sport, Rick is very thorough, but he's on the higher end of price. What I do like is that he takes the boat to Puddingstone and runs it there to see how it runs under load, but every time I got the boat back there were gray paint marks on the rub rail and sometimes dents in it. The dock at Puddingstone is gray. So even though he water tests the boat, he's not real careful moving it back and forth.

He's good, but there is that issue.

Stay away from AME in Glendora - He leaves your boat out in the open after hours uncovered in the elements (rain & wind), even though he has a garage, but that's only for the guys that spend $10,000 on a motor, they get to have their boats in the garage.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
I used to use ProBoats for a few years on my Howard Sport, Rick is very thorough, but he's on the higher end of price. What I do like is that he takes the boat to Puddingstone and runs it there to see how it runs under load, but every time I got the boat back there were gray paint marks on the rub rail and sometimes dents in it. The dock at Puddingstone is gray. So even though he water tests the boat, he's not real careful moving it back and forth.

Stay away from AME in Glendora - He leaves your boat out in the open after hours uncovered in the elements (rain & wind), even though he has a garage, but that's only for the guys that spend $10,000 on a motor, they get to have their boats in the garage.

Does AME still have the flat bottom grave yard out back?

Inland Air Balance

Certified in something
Reaction score

So, would you go back or find someone else local?

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
So, would you go back or find someone else local?

He's so damned expensive - I needed my gimbal replaced and ProBoats wanted over $2500 to do it, that's when I found AME, he did it for about $1200. But AME really pissed me off last year when he left my boat out in the storm uncovered after I spent a whole weekend detailing it and his reasoning for doing it - he lost a customer right there.

I'm going to give B&D a shot this year.

Like I said ProBoats is thorough, but expensive, he's also a certified Mercruiser mechanic. Maybe that's how he justifies his cost.

Advantage 1

Reaction score
He's so damned expensive - I needed my gimbal replaced and ProBoats wanted over $2500 to do it, that's when I found AME, he did it for about $1200. But AME really pissed me off last year when he left my boat out in the storm uncovered after I spent a whole weekend detailing it and his reasoning for doing it - he lost a customer right there.

I'm going to give B&D a shot this year.

Like I said ProBoats is thorough, but expensive, he's also a certified Mercruiser mechanic. Maybe that's how he justifies his cost.

Me too :thumbup:

Inland Air Balance

Certified in something
Reaction score
Let me know how B&D works out. I dont mind paying a few dollars more as long as I'm not being treated as if they are doing me a favor by working on my crappy little cheetah.

Spot

Reaction score
You asked for a Pro-Boats opinion and I will tell you he is an honest guy and does good work. He also tested my boat at Puddingstone and returned it with no damage. I do find him very expensive but not anymore expensive than the other high end mechanics. If your looking for other options, I suggest Quality Performance Marine in Corona. They are great people and a little less expensive than Pro Boats. I would take my boat back to both shops if the needed.

Chopperman

Reaction score
I just dropped my 210 off at B&D today. Brian is a super nice guy and have no doubt that my boat is in good hands. He is replacing a gimbal ring for me and doing a few other things, trim ram rebuild, pre-season service etc.. They are also a MerCruiser Platinum service center.

Let It Ride

Reaction score
Dude is a rip off, had my boat there for a simple service and charged me up the -ss. The money I paid went towards the storage he pays to keep your boat there. what a joke.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Dude is a rip off, had my boat there for a simple service and charged me up the -ss. The money I paid went towards the storage he pays to keep your boat there. what a joke.

At ProBoats or B&D?