WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Buggy motor swap- Cadi to 5.3L

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
Ok let's get this all in one thread. With the amazing help from some great people on this board and others I am going to attemp to resurrect a dualsport buggy that belongs to a family friend that's been sitting for 3 years with a blown motor. Chassis is a GET Performance Fab (Gene Towler) dualsport beam car with 14" of travel up front and 18" in the rear. The car is built like a tank to pre-run desert races like baja. When I got it I knew the northstar motor was hurt but after further investigation found out it was toast. Pulled the tranny out, a Mendeola 4s2d, and had it gone through....turns out it was pretty hurt too. So with some help from Jerry, found a 5.3L motor. Also had the trans rebuilt, ring and pinion, stub shaft, first and 2nd replaced. CBM hooked me up with clutch, adaptor plate, and all the hardware to mount the 5.3 to the Mende. So hopefully this weekend I can get the trans back in with adaptor plate so I can see if the stock oil pan will fit. I'll try to keep the updates coming as progress is made. The goal is to have it ready for a spring break trip 2nd week of April.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 170
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 157
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 177
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 161
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 161
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 174
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 161
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 160

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
Finally made some progress on the buggy yesterday, dry fit new motor, headers, etc...everything fit which is nice. Going to hit it hard again today. Fabbing new motor mounts is today's goal so I can be done with the cherry picker and also order up the rest of the smaller parts I need for cooling system. Thanks to everyone one here who have helped with parts hook-ups, it's really made a big difference.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 150
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 143
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 152
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 151
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 141

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Looks good! Looks like the C6 vette pan has plenty of clearance

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
After all this, how badly is the Cad hurt ? Is it rebuild able, or not ? If you still have it, post up some pix, problems, prices .... I like them for old 16' V-drive flats .

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
After all this, how badly is the Cad hurt ? Is it rebuild able, or not ? If you still have it, post up some pix, problems, prices .... I like them for old 16' V-drive flats .

Northstar's are becoming a lost art quickly. LS Engines are putting everything else in the trash.

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score

Caddy isn't hurt all that bad, one cylinder is slightly scored and would need honed but all four cams are junk and replacements aren't as available as they used to be and new ones are pricey, at least compared to what I am in to the LS. Plus the LS will really help resale if we decide to sell it. Like OC says not a lot of Caddy fans out there and only a few shops left that will even work on them.

Here's a few pics from yesterday. Got the motor mounts complete and the buggy is sitting on her own again. The weight of the 5.3l vs the caddy doesn't seem to be affecting suspension too bad. I'm sure I'll have to adjust the bypass shocks but so far it looks like I have enough spring rate.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 151
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 151
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 140
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 147
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 151
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 156

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
Looks good! Looks like the C6 vette pan has plenty of clearance

Yes it does, glad we went with it, it would have been tight with the stock pan.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 147
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 158

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
It's alive!!! Finally got the wiring done. Filled it with fluids and it fired right up. Still need to finish up some things on the back of the car and get the UMP air filter mounted but it runs. Thanks again to those that helped out, couldn't have done it with you guys.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 143
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 138
Last edited by a moderator:

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
Decided to add some rear body panels on the car. Need a place to mount the UMP canister and figured I could fab up an over the engine storage rack/spare tire carrier. Similar to the pics. Mocked up the panels in cardboard. Now that is running I'll focus on finishing the fab work on panels.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 146
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 151
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 157
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 153

AzGeo

Reaction score
How much for ALL of the dead Cad ? Ign, intake, exhaust, flywheel, electronics, all of it ?

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
How much for ALL of the dead Cad ? Ign, intake, exhaust, flywheel, electronics, all of it ?

I'm not sure, I hadn't got that far. Let me think about it and get back to you tomorrow.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Decided to add some rear body panels on the car. Need a place to mount the UMP canister and figured I could fab up an over the engine storage rack/spare tire carrier. Similar to the pics. Mocked up the panels in cardboard. Now that is running I'll focus on finishing the fab work on panels.

Looks great! Hows it run? I'd imagine that tune on there is in the ballpark to get it driving, but there is probably alot more left in it once you are ready to tune it

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
Looks great! Hows it run? I'd imagine that tune on there is in the ballpark to get it driving, but there is probably alot more left in it once you are ready to tune it

Thanks bud. Haven't drove it yet but it idles great. Pretty rich when you crack the throttle, but better rich than lean right. I'll run it around the block this weekend and see how it does under load. You might have to make a run down here to plug in and see what she's doing. Thanks for all the help. The tach and the rest of the gauges are working perfect too.

Chris

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Thanks bud. Haven't drove it yet but it idles great. Pretty rich when you crack the throttle, but better rich than lean right. I'll run it around the block this weekend and see how it does under load. You might have to make a run down here to plug in and see what she's doing. Thanks for all the help. The tach and the rest of the gauges are working perfect too.

Chris
Yea when they have headers and no cats they get rich, plus they are a bit on the rich side when stock to begin with. Lemme know when your ready

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
Yea when they have headers and no cats they get rich, plus they are a bit on the rich side when stock to begin with. Lemme know when your ready

That's what I figured. Blows a little smoke when cracking the throttle, doesn't smell like oil just rich. Let me get the UMP filter on there first then we can take a look at cleaning it up.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Sig,out of curiosity what kind of weight difference is there between the Cad and the LS?
Not that it really makes a dif in your car,the added torque of the LS would be a benefit.
A buddy runs a Cad in his Beetle,wondering about an LS but worried about weight.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Sig,out of curiosity what kind of weight difference is there between the Cad and the LS?
Not that it really makes a dif in your car,the added torque of the LS would be a benefit.
A buddy runs a Cad in his Beetle,wondering about an LS but worried about weight.

There not a huge difference but I think a ls1 is about 80lbs lighter than a north star.

Chris has a 5.3 (typically iron block) and they weigh about 70lbs more.

I bet you could drop 40lbs by subtracting the Ac and heavy manifolds.

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score

B is on the right track. Cadi is 450 to 460 lbs and the iron block 5.3L is right at 500 lbs. I expected a bigger difference when I first started looking. Now that it's in the car the ride height is exactly the same as before. I might have to adjust rear bypass shock settings but springs didn't even notice the extra weight.

Power and torque should be worth the weight. Cadi was 295/300.... 5.3 should be good for 320+/350 maybe a little more without all the smog stuff.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
B is on the right track. Cadi is 450 to 460 lbs and the iron block 5.3L is right at 500 lbs. I expected a bigger difference when I first started looking. Now that it's in the car the ride height is exactly the same as before. I might have to adjust rear bypass shock settings but springs didn't even notice the extra weight.

Power and torque should be worth the weight. Cadi was 295/300.... 5.3 should be good for 320+/350 maybe a little more without all the smog stuff.

:thumbup:
Good info guys.
This guy isn't really in need of more torque,he's having issues keeping CV's intact as it is.
Thinking long term though,Cad parts will only get more scarce while LS stuff will get more available.
Might be something for him to consider.

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
:thumbup:
Good info guys.
This guy isn't really in need of more torque,he's having issues keeping CV's intact as it is.
Thinking long term though,Cad parts will only get more scarce while LS stuff will get more available.
Might be something for him to consider.

That's the main reason I made the swap. Just getting harder and harder to find the Cadi stuff or people to work on them. LS stuff is super easy to find and there is a ton of support out there on line and in shops.

AzGeo

Reaction score
As I stated in my PM, "if all the externals that made the Cad run (ign, EFI, ECM, intake, starter, pan, flywheel, along with accessory drives and block wiring) are intact, plus you are throwing in a custom build header, then I say "you are being reasonable at this time" . I see no need to "twist your arm", when you have offered a very reasonable price . Up Front . I will work with you and your friends , first to get you the cash, and then secondarily get the motor out to Havasu .Thank you , George

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
As I stated in my PM, "if all the externals that made the Cad run (ign, EFI, ECM, intake, starter, pan, flywheel, along with accessory drives and block wiring) are intact, plus you are throwing in a custom build header, then I say "you are being reasonable at this time" . I see no need to "twist your arm", when you have offered a very reasonable price . Up Front . I will work with you and your friends , first to get you the cash, and then secondarily get the motor out to Havasu .Thank you , George

Here's the pics of all the parts and motor. I also sent you a pm with more info. Thx,

Chris

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 133
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 144

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
First run around the neighborhood.

Last edited by a moderator:

AzGeo

Reaction score
So everything is there to make the (a good motor) run ? Intake, harness, stand alone ECM, flywheel, coil packs, exhaust, pulleys, turn key except for the 'hole in the motor' ?

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
It was at night, with the lights off ........

Nice...😀

Good talking with you today. Here are some more pics. As far as I can tell everything is there to make it go, computer, harness, coil packs on valve covers, power steering pump, alternator (looks brand new), fuel rails, pressure regulator, throttle body, and a box of bolts, even an engine cover to make it look purdy. Not sure the exhaust will do you any good but it's there too. The clutch, flywheel, and adaptor plate are also included but that to mate it to a Mendeola transaxle. Again not sure you need all those things but if nothing else you can sell them or pass them along to a buggy guy. Things not there are a fuel pump and starter, those stayed on the buggy.

I'll call you next week and coordinate a little more for the 26th drop off. PM your address when you get a chance.

Thanks,

Chris

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 141
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 134
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 135

AzGeo

Reaction score
I'll take all the parts (big and small), flywheel, headers, etc ....... I might fab up a bell housing to use the flywheel/clutch and a different style gear reduction starter . The headers may work on a 'single turbo' set up, just never know . If the parts won't help your LS project, throw them in a box with all the other parts . George

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
Got the side bars added and the UMP filter mounted today. Tacked in the cross bars for the tire mount/storage rack. I'll finish it up tomorrow and hopefully get the side panels/tins fabbed up. Just about done with it for now, still need to get a custom tune done, but that will probably have to wait till after the move in August.

Chris

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 140
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 143

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
Made some decent progress today. Fabbed up the side panels and finished up the cross bar assembly for the baja basket and/or tire mount. Eventually I'll make it so the basket and tire mount are removable so I can swap between the two depending on where and how far we are riding. I'll try to finish it up tomorrow and throw some rattle can paint on it for now. Powder will have to wait, wife is done with me spending money on this thing until after we get moved into the new house in August.

Chris

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 136
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 137
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 141

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
Ok got it painted up and all put back together. That's it for a while. Thanks again for all the help guys.

Chris

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 136
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 130
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 128
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 132
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 134
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 126

AzGeo

Reaction score
We had a deal and he delivered on his word 110%, no drama . He brought the motor to my house, all the parts we discussed were included, he helped me get it out of his truck . He got the cash, and then took his kids fishing . I inspected the motor itself, (took a few covers off) and it is exactly as he described it to be . YES, I did get the motor, lift, box of parts, jack, and my scooter back inside, and the door closes . Now I gotta get up early one morning and tear this thing down, and off to the machine shop . Thank you Chris, for being an honest man on the internet . AzGeo

Dylan

Reaction score
Great build! If you need any additional parts my neighbor has a windowed block northstar with good heads and accessories.

AzGeo

Reaction score
Great build! If you need any additional parts my neighbor has a windowed block northstar with good heads and accessories.

Please PM info, on price, what is wrong, what is right, etc ...........Thanks

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
We had a deal and he delivered on his word 110%, no drama . He brought the motor to my house, all the parts we discussed were included, he helped me get it out of his truck . He got the cash, and then took his kids fishing . I inspected the motor itself, (took a few covers off) and it is exactly as he described it to be . YES, I did get the motor, lift, box of parts, jack, and my scooter back inside, and the door closes . Now I gotta get up early one morning and tear this thing down, and off to the machine shop . Thank you Chris, for being an honest man on the internet . AzGeo

It was great meeting you George. Can't wait to see you what you decide to run the motor in.

Chris