WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Interesting design idea on a job

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
I was asked to plaster some walls in a finish in the brown coat with color added. They had a designer that had them cut deer antlers into 1 1/2" pieces and glue them on the wall and have us plaster around them. The finish is supposed to be old world.
Here's a few pics.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425680625.618768.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425680641.423452.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425680653.379903.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425680669.972161.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425680683.694771.jpg

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Not a fan...that wall looks to have acne. :)

sirbob

Reaction score
They paid a designer for that idea huh ....

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
It looks like some little kid came along and stuck some dog bones in that mofo while it was still wet. :D

Andy01

Reaction score
Nice work Dave, but the design looks horrible. Like said above, looks like dog bones.

Hammer

Reaction score
I hate designers. They are a pain in the ass and they don't understand the word deadline.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds about right. almost every time I have had to work with a fockin designer, I have wanted to kill myself just to end the sheer stupidity.

x2! I just finished a house that was a nightmare of a project because of the designer. I want to kick the guys ass that created Pintrest. Seems they get a lot of their "ideas" from there.

For the money the home owner spent on that stupid idea, they could have spent it more wisely on recessed lighting for the steps or something.

Wavemaker

Reaction score
You're keeping us in suspense...what did the designer say to you and your crew when you finished the plaster coat? More importantly, what did the owner have to say regarding this 'original design feature?'

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
You're keeping us in suspense...what did the designer say to you and your crew when you finished the plaster coat? More importantly, what did the owner have to say regarding this 'original design feature?'

Owner loves it. I haven't seen the designer since it was completed.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
There's an ass for every seat ! For any 'designer' to suggest that this mess would be 'more pleasing or even, more of a focal point' than a smooth (sealed) matching finish, seems like a crime . It must be difficult for you to ruin quality work/finish with such an 'abstract mess' in the middle of a nice project . If you get to speak with the 'designer' again, ask them if they are influenced by Simon Rhodia . He's the guy who built the "Watts Towers" out of pieces of trash .

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
x2! I just finished a house that was a nightmare of a project because of the designer. I want to kick the guys ass that created Pintrest. Seems they get a lot of their "ideas" from there.

For the money the home owner spent on that stupid idea, they could have spent it more wisely on recessed lighting for the steps or something.

Pintrest is worse than the God Damn DIY Network! Those focking designers are a pain in my ass...:swear They all have grand ideas that they give to the client/homeowner, with no regard to timeline or budget. Then they decide to change the idea when you are half way done or finished, and the client gets pissed off at us the contractor for our change order. Then you get the rebuttal of the designer, " that wasn't what I wanted. I wanted what I am talking about now". This is the reason I get everything in writing (especially when dealing with this type) and submit a t least a rough sketch. It is even better to get a picture from the client/designer from a magazine or pintrest to back up what the fock they want...

I agree,
Why do these designers get paid for something the client already knows what they want? And not just hire a craftsman to guide them with knowledge and a vision to make their dream happen.

Rant over...:D

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Well as long as the customer is happy then that's what matters. Artistic expression is different for everybody.

If he has dogs they might chew on those lower antlers :)

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I LOVE designers. They should be called "change orderer's". I especially like it when these over paid idiots go through there whole deal and then look at you and say "What do you think"? WTF seriously???

PS I have to say I have worked around some that seriously had their shit together.

Hammer

Reaction score
The worst thing about a designer is when they submit colors or a specific product that no longer exists. They don't understand the word "discontinued". Meanwhile you wait for them to choose something different just so you can track down said different product and put another submittal package together for approval. Meanwhile your deadline is now next week and the designer can't choose between satin,eggshell or semi gloss[emoji107]

Rant over..... Carry on

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Can we pay you to NOT To put the antlers on finished the wall :p

Cray Paper

Reaction score
Lol, the antlers in the stucco are a microcosm for what is happening in large scale construction. Gone are the days of architects providing designs that pencil out. You cant close out any dimensions. Specs don't match drawings," modeling" is promoted by GC's to bridge the huge divide, architectural back grounds are cobbled together and not accurate, and more than likely manipulated to hide discrepancies, MEP and FP contractors design off of piss poor backgrounds. GC's that promote modeling in the interviews are saddled with solving 90% of the problems of piss poor architectural designs/ piss poor specs. I have worked for a union negotiated contractor for GC for more than 22 years. and have personally seen this change. Architects are getting further and further away from reality by the day, and the arrogance displayed by them is becoming harder and harder to deal with. You guys mention "designers", that is what national architectural firms have become. Designers only. Let the GC figure the rest out, bitch about cost overruns, delays in schedules etc.

Architects have become "designers" only. They are only concerned about which magazine their design gets in, and the sham that is LEED.

Man, when I retire I could really go off about this BS.

As a point of reference I am working on one of Paul Allen's personnel projects in Seattle. I love the project concept, but am totally frustrated by the architectural firm that is leading the "design". No regard for pricing, time frames, fixing problems created by short sighted answers in RFI's etc.

I feel the same thing coming through in responses to the OP's take on a 5K project. Try dealing with the same mentality on a 150 million dollar project.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Lol, the antlers in the stucco are a microcosm for what is happening in large scale construction. Gone are the days of architects providing designs that pencil out. You cant close out any dimensions. Specs don't match drawings," modeling" is promoted by GC's to bridge the huge divide, architectural back grounds are cobbled together and not accurate, and more than likely manipulated to hide discrepancies, MEP and FP contractors design off of piss poor backgrounds. GC's that promote modeling in the interviews are saddled with solving 90% of the problems of piss poor architectural designs/ piss poor specs. I have worked for a union negotiated contractor for GC for more than 22 years. and have personally seen this change. Architects are getting further and further away from reality by the day, and the arrogance displayed by them is becoming harder and harder to deal with. You guys mention "designers", that is what national architectural firms have become. Designers only. Let the GC figure the rest out, bitch about cost overruns, delays in schedules etc.

Architects have become "designers" only. They are only concerned about which magazine their design gets in, and the sham that is LEED.

Man, when I retire I could really go off about this BS.

As a point of reference I am working on one of Paul Allen's personnel projects in Seattle. I love the project concept, but am totally frustrated by the architectural firm that is leading the "design". No regard for pricing, time frames, fixing problems created by short sighted answers in RFI's etc.

I feel the same thing coming through in responses to the OP's take on a 5K project. Try dealing with the same mentality on a 150 million dollar project.

:thumbup:

Cray Paper

Reaction score
On the same thought process, who else experiences "design by submittals". Frigging love that shit, reject the submittals, bleed all over them then request RFI's and re submittals. Buys several weeks for the "designer' who is usually on vacation, then the changes equate to large dollar increases that need to be approved by the owner. That buys another couple of weeks and pisses off the " designer" because some one else wasn't looking out for their " design intent" when budgeting. Commercial construction is a brutal, cut throat world. These same people that suck at their job are the same that sit in meetings to decide who had the best proposal / who gets the work. Protect the architect is the mantra, even though they are the weakest link in the chain. When I'm done with this career I will tell it like it really is.

My back ground is from the commercial construction field. I'm still a card holding union carpenter even though I'm a Superintendent. I didn't go to college, but I feel that I'm training all the people around me that did go and have degrees. Architects included. The only people that get construction are structural engineers. Probably has to do with their license / stamp. Architects and engineers are not held to the same responsibility as a structural engineer.

Rant OFF.

Nice looking stucco wall, the antler stubs poking through look retarded. Should have had the entire rack or nothing. Let the craftsman's work be the draw.

Hammer

Reaction score
On the same thought process, who else experiences "design by submittals". Frigging love that shit, reject the submittals, bleed all over them then request RFI's and re submittals. Buys several weeks for the "designer' who is usually on vacation, then the changes equate to large dollar increases that need to be approved by the owner. That buys another couple of weeks and pisses off the " designer" because some one else wasn't looking out for their " design intent" when budgeting. Commercial construction is a brutal, cut throat world. These same people that suck at their job are the same that sit in meetings to decide who had the best proposal / who gets the work. Protect the architect is the mantra, even though they are the weakest link in the chain. When I'm done with this career I will tell it like it really is.

I'm in the same boat.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
Back when I was just a carpenter I thought the Superintendent had a nice cushy job. Now I know it's the dirtiest job on the site. Your sandwiched between the lowest common denominator on the site and the highest. Try dealing with racial or gender discrimination between your own employees and or subcontractors employees while your conducting a site walk the owner and lowest performing member of the project team, the architect and their team. Shit gets real, real quick. Anytime something gets out of hand, it's the Supts to deal with. Contractually and legally. Finish the project late? The PM and your engineers maybe directly at fault but that isn't who the project owner or construction company owner want to talk to. It's the Supt. Some gets injured on the site? L&I isn't looking for the college educated SPM, PM or engineer, it's the Supt. The pay is great, but you better know what your doing and have good people around you.