WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Buffing gel coat

rivergames

Reaction score
I have a few spots I need to lightly sand out with rubbing compound. I have 1000 wet sand paper that is working but leaving the gel a matte finish after I wipe the compound off. What steps do I need to do to make the gel look good? uploadfromtaptalk1426442998057.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
keep going with wet dry, work up thru at least 1200 if not 1500, also could be the compound or your pads, make sure they are clean no residue. I like to follow the compound with Meguair's #7 and follow up with a good wax after that.

rivergames

Reaction score
Kind of what I figured. Looks like I gotta go get some finer paper

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
also, I prefer a soft foam pad for polish.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
2Forcefull has a very informative video out.

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I've been away from the business for a while and there are probably newer better products and methods for polishing,
but the method above worked great for me for many moons

~Bilge

TX Foilhead

Reaction score
Bildgee's combo is probably good if it's a one time deal because you probably have some of the stuff already. I stop @ 1200 and then use 3 steps of 3M perfect it with the 3M pads. I think it's about $150 on amazon and it's enough for 4 or 5 complete paint correction type details on boats or cars. I hate the sanding so an extra round of buffing is OK especially if you have more than one that needs work.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
You'll really notice the shine when you use a polish and a buffer. You use the polish after the sanding and the compound. The polish is what will bring out the color and the luster. Then finish with 2 coats of carnauba wax. :thumbup::thumbup:

rivergames

Reaction score
I think I will finish off all of the rigging first, then worry about the shine a luster she needs

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
I think I will finish off all of the rigging first, then worry about the shine a luster she needs

Rigging as in all your hardware and stuff? If so...now is the best time to do it so you don't have to tape off or work around all that shit.

rivergames

Reaction score
Rigging as in all your hardware and stuff? If so...now is the best time to do it so you don't have to tape off or work around all that shit.

Its for my little whacker 10'r. Most of the gel is pretty nice, just a few spots I need to hit that doesn't have anything interfering with it

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I did. A search and couldn't come up with much. So figured this was the thread that I would bump back up.

I'm going to clean up the schiada a bit. The gel is not horrible. But on the same token. It's far from nice.

I figured I would buff the boat to bring back some shine. It has chips scratches and stress cracks so I'm not looking to make it look new, just looking to make it look better and not so much like a beater.

Never done a buff before and watched 2 forcefulls video already. So figured I would tackle it with the kids as a sort of father son project.

So heres my questions.

1) what products should I use?

2) what's the process?

3) I know color sanding is the way to go. But if I skip the color sanding and just do the compounding then polish and wax steps. Am I wasting my time?

4) any tips?

Here's what I'm staring with...
View attachment 407857

View attachment 407858

View attachment 407859

Nord

HONKY
Reaction score
Which 10'r are you doing this to Andrew? The one you just had done or the red one you had before? The red one you had before is paint.
As

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I'd finish the wet sand with 2000 grit if it were me

X2. Andrew, 1000 grit is not your final step. Your compound is not taking out the scratches from the 1000 grit is all that's happening.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Which 10'r are you doing this to Andrew? The one you just had done or the red one you had before? The red one you had before is paint.
As

Greggs boat is paint. I'm guessing he's buffing his own ten.

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
RB... send it to Hook...done

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I think it's going to take a wet sand and buff to bring it back. It's going to be a solid weekend worth of work.

Complete pain in the ass for you're first time and probably cheaper to pay someone to do it unless you have the supplies and equipment to do it.

Reactions: Wmc

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I think it's going to take a wet sand and buff to bring it back. It's going to be a solid weekend worth of work.

Complete pain in the ass for you're first time and probably cheaper to pay someone to do it unless you have the supplies and equipment to do it.

That was my plan. To spend a weekend on it before I take it to river.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
What Bilgie said :thumbup:

But 3M has new products. Use the new compound that Rivergames listed.(3M Marine Rubbing Compound) Then buff it with Finesse II polish

Wool pad for compound then 3M foam pad for polish.

Try a small section first to see if comes back with compound. If not may have to do wet sand

you need a circular buffer

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
What Bilgie said :thumbup:

But 3M has new products. Use the new compound that Rivergames listed.(3M Marine Rubbing Compound) Then buff it with Finesse II polish

Wool pad for compound then 3M foam pad for polish.

Try a small section first to see if comes back with compound. If not may have to do wet sand

you need a circular buffer

Thanks. I have a buffer. Gonna go get the compound. Have the polish and wax.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Remember the gel is super hard as compared to paint. It will take some time to get a cut

Don't be afraid to do work, just don't overheat it.

That compound works great on the gel. If it doesn't work then nothing will. Lol :p (i.e. need to wetsand first)

FYI the other 3M three step products are great if you want it to look like a mirror. But lots of work

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Andrew, there's lots of products out there you can use, from Performance boat candy to 3m products.

This is a step by step we did with Tim from PBC on a buddies old Hallett. We ended up buffing the entire sides and top of the boat in one afternoon with two guys on it.

http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/content.php?315-Performance-Boat-Candy-Product-Demonstration

I really like the PBC products, and how Tim uses them because they go a long long ways if done right.

I was in Harbor freight this afternoon though and they sell the 3M products in there. You can buy a medium cut and a fine cut, then the 3m wax pretty cheap and use a wool pad, and then finishing pads and get "new" results with it as well.

RD

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I have a few spots I need to lightly sand out with rubbing compound. I have 1000 wet sand paper that is working but leaving the gel a matte finish after I wipe the compound off. What steps do I need to do to make the gel look good? View attachment 396520

looks like you sanded through the gel????reds gonna be tough to bring back...

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Need to review this for next week's clean up.

Ducky

Reaction score
I have a few spots I need to lightly sand out with rubbing compound. I have 1000 wet sand paper that is working but leaving the gel a matte finish after I wipe the compound off. What steps do I need to do to make the gel look good? View attachment 396520

Rivergames, after 2000 grit sanding you can use our "Supreme 4" compound, follow with our "Ultimate Polish" and then seal or wax or both. We have an awesome sealant called "FMJ" (Full Metal Jacket) you can add our "Super Wet" Carnauba Cream Wax for extra depth and luster. Feel free to give us a call if you need any questions answered.

NOW AVAILABLE!

DUCKY PRODUCTS, INC. IS PROUD TO HAVE NORDIC BOATS USA USING THE DUCKY BRAND ON ALL NEW BOAT BUILDS!

Attachments

• 4-bottles(2).jpg
    4-bottles(2).jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 132

rivergames

Reaction score
looks like you sanded through the gel????reds gonna be tough to bring back...

I only did a little bit of sanding with the 1000 grit. When I am done with the rigging, I will start to work on blinging her out

rivergames

Reaction score
Rivergames, after 2000 grit sanding you can use our "Supreme 4" compound, follow with our "Ultimate Polish" and then seal or wax or both. We have an awesome sealant called "FMJ" (Full Metal Jacket) you can add our "Super Wet" Carnauba Cream Wax for extra depth and luster. Feel free to give us a call if you need any questions answered.

NOW AVAILABLE!

DUCKY PRODUCTS, INC. IS PROUD TO HAVE NORDIC BOATS USA USING THE DUCKY BRAND ON ALL NEW BOAT BUILDS!

Nice! I'll hit ya up when I will be ready to get started cleaning her up

Ducky

Reaction score
I did. A search and couldn't come up with much. So figured this was the thread that I would bump back up.

I'm going to clean up the schiada a bit. The gel is not horrible. But on the same token. It's far from nice.

I figured I would buff the boat to bring back some shine. It has chips scratches and stress cracks so I'm not looking to make it look new, just looking to make it look better and not so much like a beater.

Never done a buff before and watched 2 forcefulls video already. So figured I would tackle it with the kids as a sort of father son project.

So heres my questions.

1) what products should I use?

2) what's the process?

3) I know color sanding is the way to go. But if I skip the color sanding and just do the compounding then polish and wax steps. Am I wasting my time?

4) any tips?

Here's what I'm staring with...
View attachment 407857

View attachment 407858

View attachment 407859

Riverbound, the correct steps to take would be to wet sand (if you can) you may need to start as low as 800 grit then 1000, 1200, 1500 and 2000. if you want to skip wet sanding it is possible to get great shine but it will not last as long, which you may be ok with, if you don't want all that labor that comes with it. we have a few options for you that we can discuss Give us a call and we will be glad to offer any help.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Riverbound, the correct steps to take would be to wet sand (if you can) you may need to start as low as 800 grit then 1000, 1200, 1500 and 2000. if you want to skip wet sanding it is possible to get great shine but it will not last as long, which you may be ok with, if you don't want all that labor that comes with it. we have a few options for you that we can discuss Give us a call and we will be glad to offer any help.

I have been using Lucas oil slick mist products to maintain the shine and have to say it's holding up very well. [emoji106]

View attachment 417041

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
So I have a variable speed buffer and picked up some 3M Marine Restorer & Wax. Tested it on a spot and got suprising results. It is a combonation of rubbing compound and wax so I kind of understand what is going on, but it was sold to me on the basis of it being a all in one deal. Guess not.

In the picture the right side is the area I used the buffer and 3M product on, the left is the none buffed/treated area. All though the left has a brighter shine, there is a noticible difference in texture. The right side is by far smoother. The picture does not show it very clearly, but if you look right where my finger is you can follow a line straight up the boat.

I'm not locked into using the 3m stuff because obviously I'm going to have to go over it with something else to bring back the high polish.

So far I'm using a wool pad at a max of about 2100 rpm's. If I kick up the speed or use a foam pad instead of the wheel will it give it more of a polish?

I will say there is a spot I tested that had some visible oxidation and it definitely cleaned it up... just not the all in one result I was hoping for.

Should I just stop using this stuff and go with the rubbing compound then polish approach?

3m marine restorer wax.jpg

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Well.. I answered my own question... I figured I'd have to take a few days to get it done so I kept going with the 3M heavy oxidation compound/wax mix on the wool pad. Finally got the whole boat finished with that step today. It looked good just after the 3M product but didn't have that HOLY crap shine to it. I picked up some Maguiar's Flagship marine wax and was able to get the section above the rub rail on the transom done before I ran out of day light. HOLY CRAP that stuff is a nice finishing touch. Below are pictures of what I started with, then the section that I got to with the Meguiar's. I'll take a couple more of the Post 3M, Pre Meguiar's tomorrow and after for comparison. I'm a believer for sure:thumbup:
before 1.jpg
after 1.jpg
before 2.jpg
after 2.jpg

And yes.. the wool pad ate the transom drive switch plate... lol.