WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Octane Marine re-powe 27' Eliminator Speedster

El Guapo

HAVING FUN
Reaction score
This is a thread on the re-power, re-rigging of our new, or new to my family, 2012 Eliminator 27' Speedster. Octane Marine of Glendale, AZ is completing all the work and doing a great job.
The power is a Octain Marine 985EFI, built less than a year ago. We are going with our IMCO extension box and IMCO 2" shorty, all off our old boat. Our 2" IMCO lower is currently pared with an XR upper, which we plan on upgrading next season.
The boat needs IMCO H2k hydraulic steering installed from the helm to the back of the transom, installation of new sea strainers, new exhaust tips coming off our CMI headers, not to mention all the other little things that Im forgetting. The drive may need a different gear ratio due to the Speedster being so much lighter than our old boat. I have attached the photos of Octane Marine's progress so far in rigging our new boat. I apologize in advance for grammatical errors. This thread is over on OSO for those of you who surf both forums.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 78

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Got anymore pics of the engine? Is that a procharger setup?

RD

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Nice...:thumbup: That was the first 27 Speedster, wasn't it?

Boat Bling

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the build. Charlie at Octane Marine does great work. Look forward to seeing the finished product. Will you be using it on any local Phoenix lakes or primarily river and Powell?

El Guapo

HAVING FUN
Reaction score
Got anymore pics of the engine? Is that a procharger setup?

Hi RD, it is a M4 Prochager set up. 540 bbc built from ground up by Octane. Motor has been flawless for us for the past 60 hours. I'll post some more pics of motor too.

El Guapo

HAVING FUN
Reaction score
Nice...:thumbup: That was the first 27 Speedster, wasn't it?

I pretty sure Bob and the old owner said it was #3 or #4. I believe the first one ever built was an open bow application and is for sale on Eliminator Boats Website. The speedster that is orange and white with orange flames..

El Guapo

HAVING FUN
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the build. Charlie at Octane Marine does great work. Look forward to seeing the finished product. Will you be using it on any local Phoenix lakes or primarily river and Powell?

I will keep posting photos of the progress Boat Bling and thanks for looking. I will use the boat locally here in Phoenix, I will also be going to the poker runs in Havasue and Powell. I am doing Desert Storm, including the shootout if the set up is right.

El Guapo

HAVING FUN
Reaction score
Motor pics

Attachments

• IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1239.jpg
    IMG_1239.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1242.jpg
    IMG_1242.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1334.jpg
    IMG_1334.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 65

Motor Boater

Reaction score
Awesome boat! Charlie is the man, his attention to detail is amazing.

El Guapo

HAVING FUN
Reaction score
Why not use an SCX-4 drive ?

I want one, trust me.. Next season it will happen. Being told SCX would be a good route too. I know, it's apart and its a great time to do it but the additional 20k to do it right is not available this year. 

El Guapo

HAVING FUN
Reaction score
That's sexy.

60 hours and no issues or major maintenance? That's fantastic as well.

Thank you, we researched a few of the big motor builders when we did this motor. All of them are good, we picked Octane after speaking to many local blower motor boaters, for lack of better words, that were getting 300 to 400 hrs out of their big HP motors. Octane is local too, which is nice. We put a lot of hours on our boats, as you can see we did 60hrs in less than a year on this motor. Hope the next 250 to 300 hrs are the same.

Wozencraft

Reaction score
Absolutely Gorgeous! Can't wait to see it in person. I hear nothing but positive from the work Charlie and his crew perform at Octane Marine. Heck, they even helped me change out some props on my drives....while in the water! Thanks!!

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
I want one, trust me.. Next season it will happen. Being told SCX would be a good route too. I know, it's apart and its a great time to do it but the additional 20k to do it right is not available this year. 

The XR's gears life will be measured in minutes with that power ...

JBS

Reaction score
WHY didn't you have Larry Speed marine down in Tucson build your motor He built me some motors great guy it was 28 Daytona I HAD no problems sold it

Why did you not have Charlie from Octane build you one. I had Charlie build me 2 motors I had no issues with. Sounds like you made a huge mistake using Larry Think about it.

El Guapo

HAVING FUN
Reaction score
Lookin' good Bo...:thumbup:
Thanks Gary, the head rest off the back seat will be over on Friday. Charlie is bringing it for the under the hatch Bimini cut out. Thank Everybody at Eliminator Boats for helping me on this re-power project. Looking forward to the Bimini and re-appolstery you guys did for me.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Charlie has been taking care of my boat for the last 6-7 years or so. He's a good guy and his customer service is top notch. In an industry with lots of flakes, Charlie is one of the good guys. :thumbup:

El Guapo

HAVING FUN
Reaction score
IMCO hydraulic plumbing from helm to transom. Nice work Octane!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 56

El Guapo

HAVING FUN
Reaction score
Charlie has been taking care of my boat for the last 6-7 years or so. He's a good guy and his customer service is top notch. In an industry with lots of flakes, Charlie is one of the good guys. :thumbup:

Steamin rice, I can't get over your user name. Simply bad ass! I laughed out loud at you user name, It's awesome. Much appreciation for the creativity on that user name. Agreed about Charlie and Sunny at Octane. Thanks for replying & looking at the thread.

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
Very cool boat, graphics are awesome and digging the power!

Question, who built the intercooler box, name and number please? I have a hot rod with an centrifical blower and I want someone to build an intercooler very similar. Thanks!

El Guapo

HAVING FUN
Reaction score
Very cool boat, graphics are awesome and digging the power!

Question, who built the intercooler box, name and number please? I have a hot rod with an centrifical blower and I want someone to build an intercooler very similar. Thanks!

Thanks for the comlements Don Johnson, the intercooler was built by R-tech. I had trouble getting in touch with R-tech but was able to reach them on OSO. The The R-tech intercooler came with the old motor. The Intercooler shown in the photos and the block are really the only things I used from the old motor when I did a complete rebuild with Octane Marine. I wish I could give you a contact # but I don't have one. I was told to PM a user on OSO named tomcat. I wanted the same, a contact number incase i had issues, lukely I have not had any issues.

El Guapo

HAVING FUN
Reaction score
Reminds me of a Raylar setup ?
It's deffently not a raylar setup.
I saw a thread on your 28ss when it was being built, very beautiful boat and I love the colors. I belive you put a 970hp motor in it? Im assuming your using an scx4 do to a previous post on this thread. How does the boat run with your setup? What speeds are you seeing out of it?

575cat

Reaction score
It's deffently not a raylar setup.
I saw a thread on you 28ss when it was being built, very beautiful boat and I love the colors. I belive you put a 970hp motor in it? Im assuming your using an scx4 do to a previous post on this thread. How does the boat run with your setup? What speeds are you seeing out of it?

I received the boat in august and not much time to play with props,yes a SCX-4 it has a very high X dimension and running full 17/31 18 rake prop it has a hop 50 60 70 and can get bad I put 2 inch spacer in it just so I could use it at loto for a week . I come to find out running straight ahead smooth water @ 70 or so with the 2 inch spacer the hop is slight , turn into a long sweeping arch the the hop stops turn it dead straight and it comes back . I was told by Buck Stracener to never use anything larger than a 16.5 dia and go lesser rake which I have a new 16.5/32/15 rake to try this spring . I believe I will have to put a 1 inch spacer in it and probably take out some of the torque tab of the fin I think between the tab and the rake is causing the hop .

El Guapo

HAVING FUN
Reaction score
575cat, porpoise sucks I know. My old Daytona had hop/porpoise right around the 90 to 95mph mark, it would stop at 97 to 98 and ran clean after that up in the low 100's. Octane put a 2" Spacer on the drive and the porpoise went away completely. I bet those props your using on the scx4 are expensive. Hope the hop on your boat is eliminated with the 1" spacer and your other modifications. I will let you know if our new speedster has hop/porpoise with the 2" spacer we have on our drive. The Speedster is much lighter than our old boat and has a much faster bottom so we shall see.

575cat

Reaction score
The 28ss is not known to hop at all , if you look at a single application 1400 series SCX-4 lower fin it has a hell of a hook in it . My prop shaft height in stock form is 4.5 inches above the bottom .

PLACECRAFT20

Reaction score
27 daytona should have no hop. Labbed Mercury bravo 1. About a 34 and a little up or down should be just fine.
900 Teague and a Teague platinum drive would run to 130 with no hop. It was running a 34. The old bottoms had the hop. I think the 27 with plenty of power is one of the best running cats out there.

El Guapo

HAVING FUN
Reaction score
27 daytona should have no hop. Labbed Mercury bravo 1. About a 34 and a little up or down should be just fine.
900 Teague and a Teague platinum drive would run to 130 with no hop. It was running a 34. The old bottoms had the hop. I think the 27 with plenty of power is one of the best running cats out there.

Good to know! My old boat was a 2001, 26' Daytona with the old bottom. I have not heard of any 27' Speedsters, with big power, porpoising/hoping. So I hope the drive we are using, with the current x dimension and 2' spacer works well. If not, I know Octane Marine will figure it out. Thanks for the feedback PLACECRAFT20.

Andy01

Reaction score
Great write, and great looking Daytona. Charlie and those guys do some nice work.

OCTANE MARINE

Reaction score
Thanks guys! We take great pride in our work! Bo's boat is gonna be bitchin! Hopefully firing up tomorrow!

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
What a cool project! Looking forward to seeing it on the water. :thumbup:

El Guapo

HAVING FUN
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the cool complements on the build. Almost Done! More awesome work by Octane Marine.

Attachments

• Motor.jpg
    Motor.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Motor 2.jpg
    Motor 2.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Motor 3.jpg
    Motor 3.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 44

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
I have enjoyed following the progress of your boat! Hope to get to see your boat in person if you ever make it out to the river. Boat is awesome!

El Guapo

HAVING FUN
Reaction score
I have enjoyed following the progress of your boat! Hope to get to see your boat in person if you ever make it out to the river. Boat is awesome!

We will be at Desert Storm this year for sure. Hope to run into you there, as long as it's on the dock and not you passing me at 140+mph in the beautiful DCB of yours.

El Guapo

HAVING FUN
Reaction score
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I4EQyRAP7U[/video]

Reaction score
Man that sounds nice.