WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

John Woods tranny?

E4L

Reaction score
Anyone on here have a tranny built from one of the best. Getting ready to take that plunge. That means the excursion is gonna be a family member and I'm changing my old ways and not gonna keep buying new vehicles. Anyways just wanted to know if anyone has used him. Thanks

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Anyone on here have a tranny built from one of the best. Getting ready to take that plunge. That means the excursion is gonna be a family member and I'm changing my old ways and not gonna keep buying new vehicles. Anyways just wanted to know if anyone has used him. Thanks

I have been wanting that done on my f350 for quite some time but keep having other priorities in life. Have only heard excellent things about his builds.:thumbup::thumbup:

PaPaG

Reaction score

I hear nothing but great stuff about his work. What does he charge now a days for a 7.3 Excursion trans built? I am interested in having them build me a towing trans for my 7.3 Excursion to pull our 30'er across country. Let me know what you find out. :thumbup:

Reactions: E4L

BMABITY

Reaction score
Depending on what you need your truck to do, I just had mine done by Remac in San Dimas, what a difference. I have heard nothing but good things about JW, but just can't swallow his pricing. The most I tow is 12K and not for that long.

nordictom

Reaction score
I guess the 6k includes a few extra's???????

I talked with him about a year ago for the 4r100 behind my 7.3, he quoted me $3800 plus install. He told me he had a shop in Garden grove that did installs for him out this way.

NT

tkrrox

Reaction score
Yes with install and 6.0 cooler I was quoted 5800.

tkrrox

Reaction score
4995 on his website. Not including install. Btw the price I was quoted was from the guy in garden grove. I didn't end up installing it. The previous builder of my truck told me he would rebuild it for almost a 1/3. I would love to try a JW trans but I figure I got 70k out of last one driving like an idiot for a 1/3 so that's like 210k for the same price.

nordictom

Reaction score
the 6.0 cooler is mandatory on the trucks w/ the 7.3. I found a cooler from a part out truck, $75, $15 to hot tank it. I had -8 alum bungs welded on & that way I could use AN fittings for all of my connections.

I have 135xxx on my original trans, upgrades: Sonnax accumulator kit & VB kit. Oh, change the fluid every 15k, & you can get a bypass filter.

NT

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Check out Jasper transmissions , they come with a 100k warranty and
a bunch of upgrades , I've installed a few and am happy w them

E4L

Reaction score

I'm only buying a JW or a BTS

tkrrox

Reaction score
go john woods ive heard things about BTS never about JW and he does have an installer right by disneyland that makes it more convenient.

JD D05

Reaction score
JW and BTS and both really good. I would personal go BTS but I have watched his 4R power the H&S Lightning into the 8 and make lots of passes without issue. But BTS can take time getting you a trans...

BAS

Reaction score
I couldnt be happier with my JW transmission, the truck will become another beast with it installed. But Johns customer service does lack some. I put 100k on mine before giving my truck to my brother and it's still going strong. And I drove it like I stole it, every day (37s, dp tune, beans injectors, cal traction bars with an ais intake), man I miss that truck every day. So damn fun to drive.

Jaspers are junk, they're mass produced and I believe manufactured in Mexico. I won't put one behind a 5.4 F150 (been there done that, took three to get a decent one). They can't be compared to either JW or BTS. I'd also look into mikes transmission at Inglewood Transmission Services. Call another Mike, Mike Nelson at (714) 448-4750 and talk to him, he used to install all JW transmissions here in SoCal and see what he has to say.

Reactions: E4L

tkrrox

Reaction score
I couldnt be happier with my JW transmission, the truck will become another beast with it installed. But Johns customer service does lack some. I put 100k on mine before giving my truck to my brother and it's still going strong. And I drove it like I stole it, every day (37s, dp tune, beans injectors, cal traction bars with an ais intake), man I miss that truck every day. So damn fun to drive.

Jaspers are junk, they're mass produced and I believe manufactured in Mexico. I won't put one behind a 5.4 F150 (been there done that, took three to get a decent one). They can't be compared to either JW or BTS. I'd also look into mikes transmission at Inglewood Transmission Services. Call another Mike, Mike Nelson at (714) 448-4750 and talk to him, he used to install all JW transmissions here in SoCal and see what he has to say.

mike is the guy i talked to about the JW trans a couple months ago...he seems like a good guy...

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score

I am interested in one of their transmissions but the website offers no REAL information. Dealer network driven.

E4L

Reaction score
Just got a quote of 5448 for a bts instaled

E4L

Reaction score
JW is gonna be $5870

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
JW is gonna be $5870

It would be hard to pass up on a JW tranny if you're willing to fork out the coin.

Not that you plan on ever selling but I think a JW tranny would net at least an 85% return on that $5870 should you ever list it for sale.

I

JD D05

Reaction score
I think BTS is better but living in Cali and JW I would go with the JW.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud...these builders use off the shelf parts. If you can source the parts yourself, and find someone to put them together correctly (this is the wild card), you may be able to save some dough.

For example, Mike at Inglewood Transmissions is the guy for Dodge 47/48RE's. But he just puts in Gorend parts...and it's not like he's doing the labor himself. He's got shop monkeys doing the labor.

JD D05

Reaction score
Just thinking out loud...these builders use off the shelf parts. If you can source the parts yourself, and find someone to put them together correctly (this is the wild card), you may be able to save some dough.

For example, Mike at Inglewood Transmissions is the guy for Dodge 47/48RE's. But he just puts in Gorend parts...and it's not like he's doing the labor himself. He's got shop monkeys doing the labor.

I don't know about JW. But BTS manufacturers parts plus a good 4R haS a lot to do with the TQ etc.

nordictom

Reaction score

I was thinking along the same lines today.
Most of the parts, you can source yourself (Sonnax, PDQ, Precision & PAT). & yes the builder is important. If it was me, (I am mechanically inclined) I would pull the trans myself, & take it to Dana Sniff Racing Trans. in Irvine.

NT

BMABITY

Reaction score

That's what I did, researched the parts, talked to some installers and built it for what I do. If I had the coin to spare JW would have seen my truck, the guy knows his shit. For me, I had to be involved and saving money where I could was a must. Im not saying my trans is as good as what JW can build, but it sure as hell is great for what I need.

E4L

Reaction score
Well the BTS dealer is in Nevada and the JW is in SOCAL. The BTS dealer happens to be 120 miles closer. Still haven't decided yet which way

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
does the JW give you different gears, or just better parts? I had the tranny in my 7.3 rebuilt with a bigger TC, higher volume pump, the larger finned aluminum pan, and I put a 16 x 16 cooler on it (the stock cooler looked like it should have been installed on a Pinto. LOL). After the rebuild, I never had any heat issues but I still ended up towing in overdrive all the time (about 12K lbs).

I think I paid about $3,600 and this was about 12 years ago. 12 years later $5,800 doesn't seem like a bad price.

JD D05

Reaction score
Well the BTS dealer is in Nevada and the JW is in SOCAL. The BTS dealer happens to be 120 miles closer. Still haven't decided yet which way

Does he have one in stock? How long does he say it will take to get one?

For what it worth this has a BTS 4R100 in it...:D

[video=youtube;3yhdfa54FwM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yhdfa54FwM[/video]

E4L

Reaction score
Are you having problems with the trans now?

Nope none just figured 309k and the original owner was a grandpa and he changed it at 150k and I got a lead foot and it's got a Dp tuner on it now I wanted to prevent the problem

E4L

Reaction score
Update. I'm putting the tranny on hold for now. Had it serviced this week guy at the tranny shop said it looked like new. New fluid and filter and I added a 6.0 doorman cooler it has 32 or 33 rows a little bigger then the factory 6.0 cooler which is what I hear a lot of people put on there 7.3.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Rob, I have a Buddy in NorCal that builds, or rebuilds, trannys to go behind big power 7.3's. I will send you his number and you can call him. It might be a good solution at a good price for you.