WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Algae in havasu

ERiggen

Reaction score
We will be in havasu in a couple weeks is the algae starting to go away? Or how bad is it?

2Driver

Reaction score
Its pretty much most places. The conflicts in the reports is whether people are seeing it at the surface or its churned up or suspended in the water. When its mixed up it doesn't look like it is present until you look close into the water. You can watch it fly by from our dock in Parker
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427756144.144770.jpg

cole_skier

Reaction score
We are going for DS. Shotwell's will be down too.

ERiggen

Reaction score
Its pretty much most places. The conflicts in the reports is whether people are seeing it at the surface or its churned up or suspended on the water. When its mixed up it doesn't look like it is present until you look close into the water. You can watch it fly by from our dock in Parker
View attachment 399225

Each report seems to be different?

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
I've been beached in a local cove a few times over the last week and it's still pretty thick.....as late as today...........here's a statement form the Havasu Marine Assoc. that I received just this morning in regard to the algae situation;

Official response:

According to the Water Resource Coordinator for Lake Havasu City, they?ve been monitoring the algae bloom, taking water samples and sending them out for testing since it was initially reported. Havasu has experienced this situation in the past, but a number of ecological factors, especially having just recorded the warmest February on record, have exacerbated the problem. Because this is a natural ecological occurrence, best available science says that the bloom will subside and disappear as air and water temperatures continue to rise this spring and summer. Until then, boaters should avoid direct body contact in areas of heavy concentration, but where the majority of the lake is clear?.enjoy.

ERiggen

Reaction score
I've been beached in a local cove a few times over the last week and it's still pretty thick.....as late as today...........here's a statement form the Havasu Marine Assoc. that I received just this morning in regard to the algae situation;

Official response:

According to the Water Resource Coordinator for Lake Havasu City, they?ve been monitoring the algae bloom, taking water samples and sending them out for testing since it was initially reported. Havasu has experienced this situation in the past, but a number of ecological factors, especially having just recorded the warmest February on record, have exacerbated the problem. Because this is a natural ecological occurrence, best available science says that the bloom will subside and disappear as air and water temperatures continue to rise this spring and summer. Until then, boaters should avoid direct body contact in areas of heavy concentration, but where the majority of the lake is clear?.enjoy.

Hopefully it goes away!

2Driver

Reaction score
I call BS

Been going to the river since 84 and there hasn't been anything like this up until the past few years and its getting worse each year

Warm February so what. Its warm in March and warmer in April. What happened to the theory the mussels ate all the clear algae LOL.

Look, the government is in charge of waste water and water quality. The same government type folks in charge of education and the VA that think everything is running fine

This cheese started in Mead and Mohave.

TCHB

Reaction score
Each report seems to be different?

It is out there in the lake. It is in patches about half the size of a football field.

It feels like you are driving over dirty muddy water that is real shallow.

I hope it goes away as temperatures climb.

riverroyal

Reaction score
it will go away. Air temp verses water temp verse everything else. No big deal.

we see this at the beach (ocean) when we have warm currents verses cold weather or freezing water during a large swell in the summer. The plankton go mad, the kelp dies off and end up in the surf and beach. We get red tides blah blah.....

beginning of a extremely hot summer, be more concerned over that! Mild last summer

TCHB

Reaction score
it will go away. Air temp verses water temp verse everything else. No big deal.

we see this at the beach (ocean) when we have warm currents verses cold weather or freezing water during a large swell in the summer. The plankton go mad, the kelp dies off and end up in the surf and beach. We get red tides blah blah.....

beginning of a extremely hot summer, be more concerned over that! Mild last summer

It was a mild summer and hoping for a hot one. Summer break coming.

riverroyal

Reaction score
It was a mild summer and hoping for a hot one. Summer break coming.

for july and august this year is my guess. Like a few summers back where 4th of july week never dropped under

glad the new pontoon has a bunch of shade, and a white outboard:D

relaxalot

Reaction score
We were in Steamboat this past weekend and it was on the shore. It is nasty but by Sunday it looked like it was diminishing. It is out in the middle of the lake. Upriver I did not notice it at all.

TEBBY

Reaction score
Any updates??
Heading out Tuesday...

welldigger00

Reaction score
I'm at the islander, and the launch ramp looks good. I didn't notice any until we stopped down past black meadow. It looks like pine tree pollen in the water. We went back in a cove next to the pump station and it was super clean. We went swimming, no problem.