WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dumont Dunes this past week,,,

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Maybe 6 or 7 camps that we could count.
Virgin dunes like riding on pudding.

The Baker to Vegas LEO from all over the world marathon ran by the little dunes on Saturday. We hung out along the highway for a spell and cheered them on with cheers like " This is our cool season".
95 deg F every day, cool evenings. Honda 3K Genny ran the AC great.

kpjvvu-06davidlrg.jpg

coursemap.jpg

600x440

TV in garage area of our RV. Can you spot the sand cat in this pic?:

0PgHe3H.jpg

Have to replace all the stock trailer tires on the Toy Hauler. Treads separated from the casing so bad the tires were touching. Only 1500 miles, trailer not even a year old.
Can't be more strict and observant with tire inflation and maint than the TPC.
I could smell the rubber burning as I pulled into the driveway.
Stock RV tires are junk. Barely last a year.

BZBL5Th.jpg

Big Guns trans grenade'd on his RZR XP 900 H.O. Jagged X Edition just putting along first day.
Still in warranty, hope he experiences no issues with Polaris.

In spite of the heat, a good trip. Probably that wraps it up until October.
St Anthonys in July.

Ivan Dan

Reaction score
A number of years back on our old moho I knew the tires were suspect but I had planned to replace them after the trip I was taking to the desert. I was on the 15 just passing Limonite headed north and the inside dually tire blew out and did a bunch of damage ($1500 or so not including the tire). I learned my lesson the hard way unfortunately. Every since then I've been super vigilant about checking the tires (tread, condition, pressure, etc.) before every trip. It's a must because missing your trip because of a blowout sucks balls. HAHA

Reactions: TPC

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Funny you mentioned that, I ran that leg (2) was 94 when I ran by at 1245, I heard them yelling they were retired leo's/lol. I didn't look had to move.

We got 3rd of 25 teams in our category/ mixed 800

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
This was the first year I ever saw the first half of that course.... or any of it in the day light. Never occurred to me that it went right by Dumont. LAPD had a good showing this year for sure.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
After 15 B2V's, I keep thinking I will do Dumont afterwards, but end up going to Parker instead😄

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Funny you mentioned that, I ran that leg (2) was 94 when I ran by at 1245, I heard them yelling they were retired leo's/lol. I didn't look had to move.

We got 3rd of 25 teams in our category/ mixed 800

That was us.
We gave you the wave too.

peoplewave.gif

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
For a few years a couple of Swiss people camped with us at the dunes.
Best sense of humors I have ever experienced. They spoke the German languages, excellent English but among themselves spoke Romansch. They didn't know it but my wife speaks all those languages too. We always knew what they were saying,, but they didn't know it.

They couldn't stress enough how you simply can't do this (duning) and go boating like or anywhere near the extent we do anyplace else in the world.
Either it's not available, or you wouldn't be able to afford it if it were.

A real eye opener the way they stressed it and described it.

They built and sold Long Travel Sand cars and used new classic Ford crate motors that performed and sounded amazing.

They've long since left our group and went on to other businesses, but their take of how lucky we are has stayed with us.

77charger

Reaction score
What brand tires?

I have maxxis that are 5 years old this weekend leaving glamis and airing up i noticed one tire bulging and i had a new spare so i put it on.Next stop 60 miles away i saw the other tire begining to bulge too drove it to coachella to a tire shop i know and had a new tire put on.Seems like all trailer tires when one goes the next ones are not very far off happens to many i know within a hundred miles another follows.I had do the same last year after season.I had them on long enough to wear half the thread though.

Now i buy 2 one season then 2 the next if i can this time im gonna have 4 bought at different times but within a year of each other.The remaiing tire is a freestar brand its 6 years old!But its gonna get replaced before next trip.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
What brand tires?

I have maxxis that are 5 years old this weekend leaving glamis and airing up i noticed one tire bulging and i had a new spare so i put it on.Next stop 60 miles away i saw the other tire begining to bulge too drove it to coachella to a tire shop i know and had a new tire put on.Seems like all trailer tires when one goes the next ones are not very far off happens to many i know within a hundred miles another follows.I had do the same last year after season.I had them on long enough to wear half the thread though.

Now i buy 2 one season then 2 the next if i can this time im gonna have 4 bought at different times but within a year of each other.The remaiing tire is a freestar brand its 6 years old!But its gonna get replaced before next trip.

I've been hearing Maxxis are no longer the quality tire they once were.
Tread separation.

I roll with Greenball Trans master and Tow master.
A little more money but they serve me well.
Starting to think to replace batteries and tires every 4 years purely to avoid hassles on the road.

BUT!;: Greenball is soon introducing a ST235 / 85 R16 that is almost rated at a whopping 3900 lbs. and for Hot pavement summer driving.
That's brutal. I'm told the 85 is the key to a good tire. Equiv to an F load rating which is colossal.
I'm waiting on them.

Tire stores are really touting Good Year Marathons but I've had lousy luck with those and they don't have much tread to begin with.
Most important thing is to keep them inflated to the correct PSI.

The tire store guys can be some lazy fucks and just sell what the have on hand, won't dig a little further into whats right for you, don't want to order for you, or they get a vig for selling a particular brand of tire,, especially Good Years.

77charger

Reaction score
I was expecting more out of the maxxis but 5 years is still good.Funny thing i got an oddball china tire thats 6 years old it outlasted the maxxis by a year to date.I just got 2 new maxxis and one master track prob gonna get another master track and see how it goes.

Im the type who checks pressure before every trip and checks tires often after a couple years of use at every stop i make just to make sure they are still round.I would have had 3 blow out had i not thru the years.I had a goodyear marathon that began losing tread limped to a tire shop then.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Real cars go to Dumont as Dumont really puts the stress tests your machines granted, St As is a whole new ball game!! Here's a Vid from 86 on the steep side of comp hill on the left. Here was my first baja build my senior year in high school. Congrats to all the finishers!!! Oh yeah, the siren I wired in was off of a 1960s fire truck.
[video]https://youtu.be/d4dFOp59puo[/video]

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I was expecting more out of the maxxis but 5 years is still good.Funny thing i got an oddball china tire thats 6 years old it outlasted the maxxis by a year to date.I just got 2 new maxxis and one master track prob gonna get another master track and see how it goes.

Im the type who checks pressure before every trip and checks tires often after a couple years of use at every stop i make just to make sure they are still round.I would have had 3 blow out had i not thru the years.I had a goodyear marathon that began losing tread limped to a tire shop then.

We looked deeper into Greenball and see they are NOW in deep shit for selling shitty tires. I used to tout the hell out of them.

The Manager at Americas here in Simi said Greenballs quality dropped about a year ago and they will no longer sell them and Greenball no longer will cover the warranty. I got the same story at another tire store here in town.
So if I have trouble with any of my Greenball tires Americas will replace them free with Carlisles we're told. That's pretty good on their part.

He swears Carlisle has really stepped up their quality, and evidently that's true.
I have Carlisle horror stories, many of us do, but he swears they saw the light and are making a great tire now.
Finding internet horror stories with the Greenballs.

It's funny, I'm too sick with chemo to go anywhere and haven't got the tires replaced yet.
I walkout and look at the tires and they are deteriorating more each day just sitting on the driveway.

Amazing I made it home from the dunes. I could smell them burning when we came to stops.

So, I'm going to fall on the sword and roll with Carlisles 235 85 16 - load rating F. 90 PSI. $1100.
May be pressing the hit me again button,, but I'll keep a report going. It's the only premium tire in that size the tire stores are recommending. They even recommend it over a G load rated tire they all sell.

Our Toy Hauler crossed the scale at almost 18.000 lbs and I want the toughest tire I can get.

3.Slow

Reaction score
Went to Dumont for the first time this year for a few days before B2V, been doing the race for about 15 yrs now. Not a runner, we are the RV support for Stage 15.
10151793_725767867463813_1182792958_n.jpg
Dont know if I will head back out to Dumont again, seems to be some link between it and blowouts, I had one on my way there, then another between Baker and Vegas.
11018616_958260334184781_6704532220350235772_n.jpg
Picked up a new set of Carlisles in Vegas. It was a little nerve wracking watching the Americas Tire in Vegas try to change the tires, they had 4 jacks under one side of the fully loaded 40' Weekend Warrior and could barely get it off the ground.

I know you guys are burnin up on those early stages, but it gets down right freezing at stage 15 in the middle of the night.
11067647_961153743895440_1787589559908583958_o.jpg

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
RV support for stage 15.. You guys are awesome:thumbup:. But can you bring some heaters?:D

3.Slow

Reaction score
RV support for stage 15.. You guys are awesome:thumbup:. But can you bring some heaters?:D

Thanks, Heaters would be nice, ill put it on the list of equipment that we need :D. If you get cold just bug my kids for some more free coffee and hot chocolate, what team are you with?

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Thanks, Heaters would be nice, ill put it on the list of equipment that we need :D. If you get cold just bug my kids for some more free coffee and hot chocolate, what team are you with?

One of the really slow ones;) We roll through there around 2-3 ish depending on our early legs.

3.Slow

Reaction score
One of the really slow ones;) We roll through there around 2-3 ish depending on our early legs.

haha, there are still a lot of teams coming through between 2 and 3, i think our last runner this year was close to 5 am.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
haha, there are still a lot of teams coming through between 2 and 3, i think our last runner this year was close to 5 am.

Oh.. well then just look for the guy with the running shoes and racing bib. Should stand out for sure. Hahaha.. If it looks like I'll be making that stop in 2016 I'll let you know. After the changes last year I've been leap frogging to get our runner in on leg 16.

3.Slow

Reaction score
Oh.. well then just look for the guy with the running shoes and racing bib. Should stand out for sure. Hahaha.. If it looks like I'll be making that stop in 2016 I'll let you know. After the changes last year I've been leap frogging to get our runner in on leg 16.

Actually there are far more spectators on 15 than runners, lol, everyone comes to 15 to watch, 16 is just a mess. Ill be loungin in front of the trailer, stop on by.