WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Water spots, make em go away

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Boat needed to be waxed hut before I do I want the hard water spots gone. Whats the hot ticket to get it done.

rivergames

Reaction score
I have used a bunch of difference products. To remove spots and protect, Hot Sauce works wonders

To remove water spots without protection, Vinegar and water

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Ducky makes all kinds of varying strength products depending on how bad they are. They make some spray water spot removers with wax in them, and some 100% strength stuff that you'd have to wear gloves to use.

Before you go getting to crazy with it, just buy a bottle of limeaway and put the limeaway on a microfiber applicator (sponge type is what I use).. Gently rub back and forth on the boat with no pressure.. The water spots will be completely gone in 3-4 passes. Now turn around and clean the area with a cleaner, Ducky, Hotsauce, PBC, whatever your fancy.. Then go back and wax.

RD

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Ducky makes all kinds of varying strength products depending on how bad they are. They make some spray water spot removers with wax in them, and some 100% strength stuff that you'd have to wear gloves to use.

Before you go getting to crazy with it, just buy a bottle of limeaway and put the limeaway on a microfiber applicator (sponge type is what I use).. Gently rub back and forth on the boat with no pressure.. The water spots will be completely gone in 3-4 passes. Now turn around and clean the area with a cleaner, Ducky, Hotsauce, PBC, whatever your fancy.. Then go back and wax.

RD

^^^ This ^^^ +1 for Limeaway. :thumbup:

BarryMac

An Adelanto 9...
Reaction score
I need to get some Blue Mist soon also. We should get some peeps together and buy a 55 gallon drum.
Pick it up from them in Scripps Ranch. Super cool people and they usually throw you a sample...

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Try StarSan (sp) we use it for precleaning beer bottles prior to bottling home brew , as an expiriment you can take the cleanest crystal from your cupboard and it WILL be cleaner after using StarSan , most anywhere bottling supplys Works wonders on decks , Chrome and headers, polished aluminum too

Google search starsan

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
If you want to let the product do the work for you, get some Muriatic Acid from the local hardware store or pool supply place. Put about 1/2 a cup in 3 or 4 inches of water in a 5 gallon bucket. Keep the hose ready and running wipe it on with a rag and immediately rinse away heavily. Keep it away from chrome, aluminum, and anodizing, but it won't hurt stainless, in fact it will strip the water spots from that too. You can litterally feel the rag cutting the water spots with the lightest pressure.

I normally do it without gloves i just make sure to continually keep rinsing my hands off. But rubber dish washing gloves work well. Nothing comes close to the power of strong acid.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
Ok call me crazy but for the last 20+ years I've been simply adding some Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner to my soapy water when washing the boat.............cleans and cuts the water spots all in one pass.

Alternately I mix a little of the stuff in a spray bottle with water (1-2 ounces in a quart sprayer) and it works great to knock down some little water spots..................you know what's really weird??? This mixture smells almost identical to "Just Ducky" at a little less than $19.99 a bottle :rolleyes

Now I keep a good coat of wax on my boats (Fiberglass ones at least) and I'm sure there are professionals that will say I'm KILLING my gel, but it's worked for me for a very long time and I'll probably just keep using it.

PS........on the pontoon boat I use Muratic acid in a sprayer to clean the Calcium build-up off the toons after it's been in the water for a while (more than 2-3 months) :D

footer

looking for a v-drive
Reaction score
And if you do mix water with vinegar or whatever, use distilled water. Tap water can have minerals in it, and will then leave more of the spots you were trying to remove in the first place.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Since I've been using Performance Boat Candy I really don't have any stubborn water spots and it throws a coat of wax every time I use it. I just spray it on and wipe away.

Ducky

Reaction score
Boat needed to be waxed hut before I do I want the hard water spots gone. Whats the hot ticket to get it done.

Thought I would take this opportunity to explain a little bit about water spots and products available for there removal. Since we are the pioneers and do have the most diversified product line of water spot removers we can speak with some authority on the matter. First and foremost we tell everybody that protection is minimal with any water spot remover that contains wax or silicone and that you should "only" use water spot removal products when your spray detail product is ineffective. The best way to protect against "Hard" water spotting is to have a good layer of wax or sealant, this is key. Once you get off the water grab a "true" detail spray wax or detailer, we offer a product called "Quik Clean & Wax" with a good base wax this usually will do the trick, however, you will inevitably come across those pesky spots at some point. This is when you reach for the water spot remover. We have two spray-on. wipe-off products for this, our Original Water Spot Remover w/o wax and Water Spot Plus w/wax. keep in mind that although Water Spot Plus contains some wax it will never be a true detail product and no water spot remover on the market will be!!! the nature of the chemistry wont allow for that. water spot removers contain acids and acids strip wax. Below I listed our line of water spot removal products with a little description of each.

1) Original Water Spot Remover w/o wax. spray-on, wipe-off with wet towel and dry to avoid streaking. Re-apply wax if desired. This product is used by those wish to do a two step process (remove spots and wax) or for surfaces that hate acids such as vinyl wraps and matte finish surfaces. rinse off and apply proper product for conditioning and protection.

2) Water Spot Plus w/wax. this product contains wax and offers some wax protection. minimal at best, just being honest.

3) Xtreme Water Spot Gel. This product is very strong and requires rinsing. use this when the before mentioned spray-on, wipe-off products are not strong enough. Use on gel coat, clear coat, fiberglass and plastics. If this does not work get the buffer out! remember the longer water spot sit the harder to remove.

4) Water Spot Remover for Glass. Our latest product. "Acid Free" formula is specifically for glass and can get out years old spots.

I hope this helps give a better understanding of water spots and the products associated with there removal. Always feel free to give us a call with any questions you may have on any of our products. 626-797-7226 :)

DUCKY PRODUCTS, INC. IS PROUD TO HAVE NORDIC BOATS USA USING THE DUCKY BRAND ON ALL NEW BOAT BUILDS!

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Thought I would take this opportunity to explain a little bit about water spots and products available for there removal. Since we are the pioneers and do have the most diversified product line of water spot removers we can speak with some authority on the matter. First and foremost we tell everybody that protection is minimal with any water spot remover that contains wax or silicone and that you should "only" use water spot removal products when your spray detail product is ineffective. The best way to protect against "Hard" water spotting is to have a good layer of wax or sealant, this is key. Once you get off the water grab a "true" detail spray wax or detailer, we offer a product called "Quik Clean & Wax" with a good base wax this usually will do the trick, however, you will inevitably come across those pesky spots at some point. This is when you reach for the water spot remover. We have two spray-on. wipe-off products for this, our Original Water Spot Remover w/o wax and Water Spot Plus w/wax. keep in mind that although Water Spot Plus contains some wax it will never be a true detail product and no water spot remover on the market will be!!! the nature of the chemistry wont allow for that. water spot removers contain acids and acids strip wax. Below I listed our line of water spot removal products with a little description of each.

1) Original Water Spot Remover w/o wax. spray-on, wipe-off with wet towel and dry to avoid streaking. Re-apply wax if desired. This product is used by those wish to do a two step process (remove spots and wax) or for surfaces that hate acids such as vinyl wraps and matte finish surfaces. rinse off and apply proper product for conditioning and protection.

2) Water Spot Plus w/wax. this product contains wax and offers some wax protection. minimal at best, just being honest.

3) Xtreme Water Spot Gel. This product is very strong and requires rinsing. use this when the before mentioned spray-on, wipe-off products are not strong enough. Use on gel coat, clear coat, fiberglass and plastics. If this does not work get the buffer out! remember the longer water spot sit the harder to remove.

4) Water Spot Remover for Glass. Our latest product. "Acid Free" formula is specifically for glass and can get out years old spots.

I hope this helps give a better understanding of water spots and the products associated with there removal. Always feel free to give us a call with any questions you may have on any of our products. 626-797-7226 :)

DUCKY PRODUCTS, INC. IS PROUD TO HAVE NORDIC BOATS USA USING THE DUCKY BRAND ON ALL NEW BOAT BUILDS!
Awesome! I just picked up the Spot Plus at Spanky's in Parker. I'll get after it in the morning and hopefully report back. Thanks for the response

shippingguy

2007 Ultra 27 Shadow
Reaction score
If you don't want to do the Blue Mist/water mix they also have Zip Mist and it is ready to go. This is what I use from them. Right now you can get 3 gallons of Zip Mist for $63. It is a buy 2 get third one free.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I use Shower Power and you can get it at the 99 cent store.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score

Those damn red boats will get you everytime:D

Caydens Cat

all I got was a t-shirt
Reaction score
Link to Blue Mist??

Pick it up from them in Scripps Ranch. Super cool people and they usually throw you a sample...

If you don't want to do the Blue Mist/water mix they also have Zip Mist and it is ready to go. This is what I use from them. Right now you can get 3 gallons of Zip Mist for $63. It is a buy 2 get third one free.

Thanks for the info, I couldn't recall the place over in Scripps. Resembles Driven concentrate.

I looked at the MSDS and the difference between blue mist / zip mist is 1-3% acetic acid by volume. The mark up on price = some expensive vinegar ($20 vs. $30 / gallon). You could save yourself a few bucks and add a dollop of vinegar to your spray bottle with blue mist.

-JT

TOBTEK

Reaction score

Save the money. Buy the std blue mist. Cut 40% with white vinegar. get more for your money this way. ;)

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Specifically, white vinegar and distilled water. Followed by simple spray wax, MacGuires.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
So update,

Ducky's stuff works!! Flat out did exactly what it says it will do. My transom was way worse that I thought it was and I can see myself in it again. And it took all of 5 minutes.

Like t&y said though, red gel seems harder to keep up, any truth to this?

Ducky

Reaction score
So update,

Ducky's stuff works!! Flat out did exactly what it says it will do. My transom was way worse that I thought it was and I can see myself in it again. And it took all of 5 minutes.

Like t&y said though, red gel seems harder to keep up, any truth to this?

Glad it all worked out for you. As far as the red goes, it is harder to keep up. You may want to wet sand, compound, polish, seal and wax. You can probably start with 1500 work up to 2000 then compound, polish, seal and wax. We offer a full line to make that possible. Supreme 4 compound, Ultimate Polish, FMJ Sealant and Super Wet Carnauba Cream Wax. Let me know if I can be of any help. :)

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Glad it all worked out for you. As far as the red goes, it is harder to keep up. You may want to wet sand, compound, polish, seal and wax. You can probably start with 1500 work up to 2000 then compound, polish, seal and wax. We offer a full line to make that possible. Supreme 4 compound, Ultimate Polish, FMJ Sealant and Super Wet Carnauba Cream Wax. Let me know if I can be of any help. :)

Thanks Ducky!

I only have some areas that just don't look crystal clear. The boat was color sanded before I bought it. These areas are also flat and get direct sunlight, I'm wondering if there is any correlation? If time permits, I'd like to try some compound, my plates a little full right now.

Ducky

Reaction score
Thanks Ducky!

I only have some areas that just don't look crystal clear. The boat was color sanded before I bought it. These areas are also flat and get direct sunlight, I'm wondering if there is any correlation? If time permits, I'd like to try some compound, my plates a little full right now.

The flat surface you speak of is just getting more exposure. Not sure how long ago it was sanded and what kind of protection was added? It may be time to do again? if your not dealing with any scratches the process should go fast. Start with 1500 and finish with 2000 and then compound, polish and seal. You can even add wax on top of the sealant for extra pop. When you get off the water use a true detail product for wipe-down. Only use water spot removers when necessary.

duck (78x100).jpg

headshothills

Reaction score
We were introduced to Daytonababe's secret sauce last year.... Ill let her give away her secret... :yikes:D

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
We use a vinegar/dawn dish soap combo for hard water spots in the shower. Works awesome. Going to give it a shot on the current boat before I break out the polisher and really screw things up.:D

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Seriously! I would have never guessed red would be soo hard to keep looking tits lol

Lol.. Told you I was constantly washing and waxing that thing... My neighbors would just shake their heads, then ask when they could go to the lake of course.:thumbsup

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Naw. Works great. I think it might have been in Costa Mesa or Garden Grove where I picked mine up.