WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

!!Got me a New Boat!! Kinda...

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
All right party people of RDP. I'm back in the saddle again!!

I've acquired our old family ski boat. My family bought the Ski Supreme brand new in 1985. It spent its life at our house in Havasu. This was the boat I learned to ski behind, drive, take sloooooow passes by Copper Canyon with my dad behind the wheel, and the thing I remember the most was spending 5000+ hours playing in it in the garage with my brother! To say "Good Vibrations" has some sentimental value would be an understatement.

So fast forward to today. The poor old girl has been bounced around and neglected for the last 5 years or so. It's just been sitting uncovered being neglected. I've been trying to get her for years, and finally things lined up.

The good thing is that before she just went and sat my dad had rebuild the motor, and replaced the stringers and transom. When I got her home I squirted some WD40 down the cylinders, hooked the fuel pump up to a fresh gas can, and she fired right up! I've changed all the fluids, rebuild the raw water pump, and will rebuild the carb. She's going to be getting brand new interior, a good wet sanding, and reaallly good detail. Hopefully soon she'll be blasting around Carlsbad lagoon with an occasional trip to the river very soon[emoji106]
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430106678.414589.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430106608.198420.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430106623.342960.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430106639.160868.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430106659.031183.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430106715.784384.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430106726.884350.jpg

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
Impellers aren't supposed to look like this. I can only hope no one tried to run her like this!!! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430106827.292770.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
Congratulations!!! Definitely a cool boat and even cooler since it comes with all the memories!! ;) Thank you for sharing and I look forward to the rejuvenation process!!

Henry

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Put those impeller pieces on the bench and put ALL of the pieces together...ALL, as in, keep digging until you can put the old impeller together on the bench.

If not, parts and pieces may still be in the engine block and/or oil coolers blocking the pathway of cooling water.

Back flush the entire system and collect the pieces.

dread Pirate

Reaction score
I've lost an impeller on my Sanger DXII. Luckily there is a screen before the oil cooler and it all ended up there. Easy clean out fortunately.

Congrats on keeping the boat in the family. :thumbup:

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
My buddy had a boat just like that. He put a big block in it. Good times in that thing.

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
Put those impeller pieces on the bench and put ALL of the pieces together...ALL, as in, keep digging until you can put the old impeller together on the bench.

If not, parts and pieces may still be in the engine block and/or oil coolers blocking the pathway of cooling water.

Good idea Carl. It's got a closed cooling system so hopefully it won't be to bad to track down the disintegrated parts.

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
Question for you guys with closed cooling boats.

I rebuild the carb, ended up putting a new raw water pump on, back flushed the cooling system, changed all the fluids, and took her out for a little shake down. She actually ran pretty damn good! But my water temp was up in the 160?-180? area. When the temp got up there I backed out of her and let it cool down. I've never had a closed cooling system boat. I checked and it's got no thermostat. Should the temps be in line with autos? The 351w motors in cars/trucks run in the 180?-195? area. Is this what I should be looking for? Or is that high in boat application. If it is I guess the next step would be taking the heat exchanger to a radiator shop for service?

SoCalDave

Reaction score

X2

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Question for you guys with closed cooling boats.

I rebuild the carb, ended up putting a new raw water pump on, back flushed the cooling system, changed all the fluids, and took her out for a little shake down. She actually ran pretty damn good! But my water temp was up in the 160?-180? area. When the temp got up there I backed out of her and let it cool down. I've never had a closed cooling system boat. I checked and it's got no thermostat. Should the temps be in line with autos? The 351w motors in cars/trucks run in the 180?-195? area. Is this what I should be looking for? Or is that high in boat application. If it is I guess the next step would be taking the heat exchanger to a radiator shop for service?

180 to 195 is fine. If you start getting up to 210+ start to worry.

Congrats on the boat!:thumbsup

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
180 to 195 is fine. If you start getting up to 210+ start to worry.

Congrats on the boat!:thumbsup

Copy that! Thanks. My blown Carrara 257 never got above 150?, but it was an open cooling system.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
You sure no T-stat? What's that 6"X6"X4" aluminum box (that you need to clean and polish...) that the 2+" hose from the engine mounted water pump contain?

Sure looks like a T-stat could reside in there...190* in a non T-stat engine seems high...I'da thought 140-150*

Wombat

The Great Southern land
Reaction score
I've lost an impeller on my Sanger DXII. Luckily there is a screen before the oil cooler and it all ended up there. Easy clean out fortunately.

Congrats on keeping the boat in the family. :thumbup:

Screen in front of the oil cooler, l think l will do the same:thumbup:

Wombat

The Great Southern land
Reaction score
Nice project boat, good luck with it :thumbup:

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
You sure no T-stat? What's that 6"X6"X4" aluminum box (that you need to clean and polish...) that the 2+" hose from the engine mounted water pump contain?

Sure looks like a T-stat could reside in there...190* in a non T-stat engine seems high...I'da thought 140-150*

I pulled that off and checked where the thermostat would go...there was none. I did not pull the aluminum box apart.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
I pulled that off and checked where the thermostat would go...there was none. I did not pull the aluminum box apart.

Does it readily come apart? I mean, can you see an obvious parting line and screws/bolts clamping the two halves together?

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Temp doesn't seem bad for a heat exchanger set up. But like Carl said, I would bet you money there's a stat in there. Did you check the stock Ford location/ neck?

cofooter

Reaction score
Cool, love those old school ski boats. Buddy in Parker just picked up an 82 ski supreme. I have close cooling on my ski boat and runs at 175, 180 max after running it hard, check your thermostat. Or blockage, remove the hose from the water pick-up into the transmission cooler, there is a screen there that can collect junk. Good luck!

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
Does it readily come apart? I mean, can you see an obvious parting line and screws/bolts clamping the two halves together?

It has 4 allen head stainless bolts holding it together, and looks like it splits right in half.

Temp doesn't seem bad for a heat exchanger set up. But like Carl said, I would bet you money there's a stat in there. Did you check the stock Ford location/ neck?

I did check the stock Ford location. The aluminum thingy bolts up to the block where the stock location would be for a thermostat. It looks like if there was a thermostat it would be located there. I'm thinking that the thermostat was left out last time it was apart.

Cool, love those old school ski boats. Buddy in Parker just picked up an 82 ski supreme. I have close cooling on my ski boat and runs at 175, 180 max after running it hard, check your thermostat. Or blockage, remove the hose from the water pick-up into the transmission cooler, there is a screen there that can collect junk. Good luck!

This boat is set up with a sea strainer. Plumbing goes water pickup- sea strainer- transmission cooler- raw water pump- heat exchanger- exhaust- and out the pipes:) I did back flush the system and found it to be free flowing with no weird rats nest flying out anywhere.

cofooter

Reaction score
This boat is set up with a sea strainer. Plumbing goes water pickup- sea strainer- transmission cooler- raw water pump- heat exchanger- exhaust- and out the pipes:) I did back flush the system and found it to be free flowing with no weird rats nest flying out anywhere.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I mis-read that you were overheating, seem like you are in a good range. If you do find a thermostat is should be a 143d like this one, although many boats were set up w/o. http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RP026002E

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
Congrats Kyle. Glad to see you will be back on the water this season. :thumbup:

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
Congrats Kyle. Glad to see you will be back on the water this season. :thumbup:

Thanks Boss!! She'll be spending many weekend on the Carlsbad Lagoon. If you ever want to bring the family up for a little cruz or ski let me know.

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
So took her out to Oceanside harbor this afternoon for a kite harbor cruise. She's running great! Rebuilt carb is idling smooth, and running crisp.

It's kinda nice, no really nice to be able to go for little harbor cruises. [emoji106]
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431923530.031503.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431923552.961373.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431923614.034743.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431923635.570061.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431923567.549774.jpg

Sparky73

Reaction score
very nice! looks like a fun project.
I need to get out to Oceanside Harbor. never been on the water there......

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
very nice! looks like a fun project.
I need to get out to Oceanside Harbor. never been on the water there......

Thanks man. It's going to be fun restoring her. Now that I know she's mechanically sound I'll start on getting her looking good.

When she warned up she ran right at 185f. From what I've researched that's just about a perfect temp for the closed cooling system with a 351w.

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
Look for the 1987 Bronco pulling the 1985 Ski Supreme to the Carlsbad Lagoon this weekend.

Bringing it back old school