WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

CrazyJim's Spectra 18 build thread

CrazyJim

Reaction score
Howdy fellas! I figured it was time to start a build thread on my (new to me) boat. It seems this 'ol girl has come full circle. It's a '75 Spectra18 that has been previously for sale here on the forums. See this thread:http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?35292-75-spectra-18-ex-race-boat-4600-obo

The boat is a full stringer 73 that was used as an Enduro boat before being registered in 1975. My buddy bought it last year, built a 454 for it, and then upgraded to an Eliminator 207. When he talked about selling this one, I talked it over with the wife, and we figured it'd be a great boat for us. Short enough to double tow behind a 5th wheel being a major reason. Plus I quite like the Spectra's. :D

IMG_20150305_191533_zpscxldbgmb.jpeg

IMG_20150305_191537_zpsmvdaz7o8.jpeg

IMG_20150305_191541_zpsfuzydawz.jpeg

IMG_20150307_171632_zpsepykg3bp.jpg

After he bought the boat, he put together a mildly build 454 for it, comp extreme marine cam, ported oval port GM heads, 9.8:1 compression, 750cfm 4bbl etc etc. She's a solid boat, but is definitely in need of some love. The first thing we did was address the fuel tank. Currently, it has an 80 gallon fiberglass belly tank. Knowing the issues fiberglass tanks can cause, I decided to start hunting for some aluminum saddle tanks. I ended up sourcing a pair of 23 gallon IMCO's for a smokin' deal from another boater who lived out in Mesa, AZ. I forgot his name, but believe he's on here from time to time. He was super helpful and even threw me half the money back he was asking for the tanks for making such a long drive. I love boaters!

IMG_20150307_171632_zpsepykg3bp.jpg

Once I got them home, I cleaned them up a bit, made sure the fuel pickups work, and got to work.

IMG_20150321_171137_zpsukyxbbki.jpg

We pulled the motor out of the boat, and started checking it out, and found that the fiberglass tank had already done more damage than hoped in the few times it had been on the water. The intake runners on the heads were completely coated in resin, the cylinders had a light coating of resin on them, and the valve train all felt sticky. Diving deeper into it we found that the rocker arms had been badly gouged in the fulcrum and would need to be replaced. We cleaned up the motor as much as possible, will be replacing what absolutely needs it, and crossing our fingers when it goes back together. Hopefully I caught it early enough.

IMG_20150314_195543_zpsreaonpep.jpg

IMG_20150314_195624_zpsmvhn3ari.jpg

IMG_20150321_151251_zps2iww7gd6.jpg

As for the tanks, I started by looking at my other buddies Eliminator and how his tanks were mounted, and more importantly how they were spaced off the hull of the boat. It seems they were installed with carpet between the tanks and the hull. I went looking for carpet but ended up finding something that, IMO, should work better. I picked up some anti-fatigue mats made of some pretty dense foam, and glued them to the backside of the tanks. This is to space them off the hull in case anything flexes it doesn't break anything. I also chopped off the existing "brackets" you can see in the photo's above and had a buddy TIG on some 3" aluminum angle at the tops of the tanks to make it easier to bolt them to the bulkheads.

IMG_20150321_182747_zpsiu6bmlxc.jpg

IMG_20150321_181902_zps1tedwgqb.jpg

I did a bunch of reading of guys who've done the saddle tanks, and everybody said build bulkheads and put the tanks as far back as possible. The tanks are about 6" off the transom in the back. Here you can see the start of the bulkheads. We did the first one, and fought it from moving the entire time. We cut them a bit short as to not have the wood directly on the hull, and had a hell of a time keeping them straight while the resin kicked. So the next 3 we used some 3m 4200 fast cure marine adhesive to set them, worked out perfectly so far.

IMG_20150503_134517_zps2sg8bi6h.jpg

IMG_20150503_134523_zpsagz7faqj.jpg

Don't mind the mess, going to be cleaning that up as much as possible before we lay the glass in.

The most nerve racking part for me is the fact that I'm going to have to cut holes in the gunnel for the fuel fills. :yikes

I'll try to keep the thread updated as the work progresses. Once the tanks are in and plumbed, motor back in and running, we're going to enjoy it for the season and then come winter time, build a new floor and have the bench recovered.

the lynch mob

Reaction score
Rare for an 18 spectra to have full stringers, I had a 18 with a je pump. I wonder if you get a little bump in performance with the jc.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Rare for an 18 spectra to have full stringers, I had a 18 with a je pump. I wonder if you get a little bump in performance with the jc.

This was built as an Enduro boat back in the day.. You can see the 3 fuel fills on the deck, this boat used to carry some serious fuel on board.

RD

the lynch mob

Reaction score
Could be the 18 that won it's class in the Parker 9 hour Enduro in the early 70's. I believe that boat was yellow. It would be interesting if was.

CrazyJim

Reaction score

That's what I understand as far as the stringers. What performance bump would I see with a JC? I was under the impression they were just standard run of the mill pumps? I've been toying with the idea of getting a split bowl setup so I can run a snoot and a ride plate but I'm not 100% sold on it, I haven't even taken the boat in the water yet :(

This was built as an Enduro boat back in the day.. You can see the 3 fuel fills on the deck, this boat used to carry some serious fuel on board.

RD

80 Gallons in the belly tank from what I understand. The tank goes from about 2 feet under the bow to about 12" in front of the motor... She sat LOW in the water with a full tank. These saddle tanks should give'r a bit more speed I'd think by getting the boat out of the water a bit more.

Could be the 18 that won it's class in the Parker 9 hour Enduro in the early 70's. I believe that boat was yellow. It would be interesting if was.

If I recall, I believe it was a backup boat, but who knows, maybe it did? It'd be awesome to find out from the people who owned it, I love being able to trace the history back on this thing. Very cool.

Anyway, onto the updates, it's been real shit weather out here the past week or two, so I haven't had much time to get stuff done. Today we had enough heat to be able to glass the bulkheads in completely though, so that was nice.

IMG_20150517_132056_zpsvzcvwihs.jpg

Then I re-addressed my foam idea, and decided since it wasn't working well wrapping it on the tank, I'd install it on the gunnel, that worked beautifully.

IMG_20150517_165540_zps5vr44b9m.jpg

We were able to get the tanks slid in, and mark for the new fills... boy oh boy drilling holes in a perfectly good boat is a nerve racking experience.

IMG_20150517_195802_zps4mltsscl.jpg

IMG_20150517_183400_zpsm54vmuyh.jpg

IMG_20150517_184236_zpsp7o7ggzm.jpg

All in all made good progress for a days work. Cuzimcr on here helped with a lot of it, and kept me motivated. We're waiting on some parts from Jegs to show up hopefully this week to finish up the motor, if all goes well we should have the motor in this weekend, and water testing her Memorial Monday!!! Fingers crossed.

Quicksilver

Reaction score
Looks like fun. I went through all that on my Spectra 18 as well with the gas tanks.

CrazyJim

Reaction score
Looks like fun. I went through all that on my Spectra 18 as well with the gas tanks.

Oh I'm not sure FUN is the word I would use lol. It was definitely a new experience for me, first time every tackling ripping a boat down this far, but I feel like I learned a lot. Hoping she rides good and is trouble free!

Nice work!

Thanks! It's my first time, so it's all a learning process for me, just did a bunch of searching on what people did, and went with it. I'm happy with how it's turning out so far.

We got the motor plugged in tonight, and got it running. Going to be taking it to the local lake tomorrow to do a bit of final timing, and lake test it. Hopefully all goes smoothly! Look out for some more water pics tomorrow.

IMG_20150522_162444_zpso8bqfu5l.jpg

IMG_20150523_120355_zpsldtu1jzm.jpg

IMG_20150523_213125_zpsaoz13tel.jpg

[video=youtube;YkqHw1hGQcs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkqHw1hGQcs[/video]

Quicksilver

Reaction score
What lake will you be running this boat on? I have yet to see another Spectra 18 on the water in all my times at the lake and and river.