WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ecu mapping

Bigwebb1978

Reaction score
I need a recommendation to get the ECU remapped for a 350 magnum mpi...

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I think there is some place in AZ most everyone uses. Or you can just get a piggy back controller from stv_keith.

I'd go with the self tuning controller if it was just a mild engine build IMHO.

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Does Whipple still have access to all mefi codes to do a flash?

OR

Trash

Reaction score
I need a recommendation to get the ECU remapped for a 350 magnum mpi...

What changes have you done to the motor? Only an exhaust swap will not merit a tune on a SBC in my opinion.

There are several entities out there that can do it or you can get MEFI Burn and do it yourself. I use MEFI Burn myself.

Bigwebb1978

Reaction score
What changes have you done to the motor? Only an exhaust swap will not merit a tune on a SBC in my opinion.

There are several entities out there that can do it or you can get MEFI Burn and do it yourself. I use MEFI Burn myself.

I sent it to whipple, I bored it .020 over, new roller cam, lifters, push rods, roller rockers, valve springs,ported polished heads, and new exhaust...just got done with machine work, starting assembly this week. Shooting for fathers day weekend to have it back in the water..

Bigwebb1978

Reaction score
So tested again this weekend and the motor was running rich and topped out at 4600 rpm.. After advancing the timing from 29 to 31 it picked up to 4800 rpm but still running rich and a little sluggish.. Not sure if it's a mapping issue from whipple or if I should keep advancing the timing??

Trash

Reaction score
So tested again this weekend and the motor was running rich and topped out at 4600 rpm.. After advancing the timing from 29 to 31 it picked up to 4800 rpm but still running rich and a little sluggish.. Not sure if it's a mapping issue from whipple or if I should keep advancing the timing??

So we can be on the same page we need more information.

What is the final motor configuration: displacement (cid), compression, cam specs, injector size, prop size (dia and pitch), drive ratio, approx weight of boat etc.

How did you know it was running rich? AFR? Smoke? Pulled plugs?

How did you advance the timing? Rotating the distributor or changing the ignition advance vs map vs rpm table?

I would be hesitant to make any suggestions without further information.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Like Trash says, if you have just been twisting the distributor the change the timing on an EFI setup this is really really bad practice. Yes it will accomplish the end result, but it skews the entire map, timing really needs to be adjusted inside the ECU in the tables.

If you are in Havasu i would get in contact with Brian Macy, he lives out there and has extensive MEFI experience....

If you are somewhere else in So Cal, call Alexi at BoostPower.

Bigwebb1978

Reaction score
So we can be on the same page we need more information.

What is the final motor configuration: displacement (cid), compression, cam specs, injector size, prop size (dia and pitch), drive ratio, approx weight of boat etc.

How did you know it was running rich? AFR? Smoke? Pulled plugs?

How did you advance the timing? Rotating the distributor or changing the ignition advance vs map vs rpm table?

I would be hesitant to make any suggestions without further information.

350 bored .20 over, forged pistons. 9.8 to 1, Edelbrock cam 212? / 222? .462" / .479" 112? Lobe sep. stock injectors, Bravo 3 26P, 1.8 drive ratio, 2800-3000lbs.
Smelled alot of fuel out of exhaust, fuel economy was horrible, my mechanic pulled a plug and told me it was rich (I didn't see them)
He Rotated the distributor.

I talked to Edelbrock and they recommend starting the total timing at 34.

Bigwebb1978

Reaction score
Like Trash says, if you have just been twisting the distributor the change the timing on an EFI setup this is really really bad practice. Yes it will accomplish the end result, but it skews the entire map, timing really needs to be adjusted inside the ECU in the tables.

If you are in Havasu i would get in contact with Brian Macy, he lives out there and has extensive MEFI experience....

If you are somewhere else in So Cal, call Alexi at BoostPower.

The boat is in Parker and I live in Torrance, so its a challenge to get things done especially with parking laws its hard to bring the boat home without storage. I have a local guy in Parker that has been doing alot of the work. But that has been another challenge.

BDMar

B & D Marine
Reaction score
I talked to Edelbrock and they recommend starting the total timing at 34.

Unless you're setting the timing with the ecu in base timing mode with a scan tool, you're really don't know where your timing is. The advance is programmed in the ecu so you can only set initial timing and then calculate where the total will end up.
If your mechanic turned the distributor because the plug looked rich..... find another mechanic.

Trash

Reaction score
I would kindly recommend you stop using that mechanic. Rotating the distributor to adjust timing on a Merc EFI motor is not what you want to do. In short, jumper the A/B pins on the DLC connector and set the base timing to 8 deg BTDC assuming that is what the tuner set in the ECU.

We have no idea what your stock tune started with nor where your current tune is, therein lies the problem. Without having wideband O2 and some on the water scanning you will likely be chasing gremlins for a while.

What year is the motor and what ECM does it have (MEFI 1, 2, 3 or 4).

Bigwebb1978

Reaction score
I would kindly recommend you stop using that mechanic. Rotating the distributor to adjust timing on a Merc EFI motor is not what you want to do. In short, jumper the A/B pins on the DLC connector and set the base timing to 8 deg BTDC assuming that is what the tuner set in the ECU.

We have no idea what your stock tune started with nor where your current tune is, therein lies the problem. Without having wideband O2 and some on the water scanning you will likely be chasing gremlins for a while.

Motor is 2001, not sure what ECM I have.

Going back to Dustin at whipple to see what I have now and go from there. Not touching anything until then.

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
Motor is 2001, not sure what ECM I have.

Going back to Dustin at whipple to see what I have now and go from there. Not touching anything until then.

Good idea! Dustin should be able to finish what he started to help you out. If you get into a bind we can assist however your in good hands[emoji106]🏻[emoji469]

Bigwebb1978

Reaction score

The ECM is a MEFI 3, He jumpered the A/B pins and set the base timing to 8 degrees. I will be out there next week so I can get the numbers off the ecm and then call Dustin at whipple to confirm program and then go from there.

NicPaus

Reaction score
The ECM is a MEFI 3, He jumpered the A/B pins and set the base timing to 8 degrees. I will be out there next week so I can get the numbers off the ecm and then call Dustin at whipple to confirm program and then go from there.

How much is a stock computer. Or try and borrow one and see if it runs better for now. What was top speed this last run?

Bigwebb1978

Reaction score
How much is a stock computer. Or try and borrow one and see if it runs better for now. What was top speed this last run?

I am pretty sure it's a timing issue, new computer is 1500$, no need it's good,it ran just under 60 at 4700 rpm, old motor ran 5200.. New cam and rev limit should be closer to 5500

NicPaus

Reaction score
I am pretty sure it's a timing issue, new computer is 1500$, no need it's good,it ran just under 60 at 4700 rpm, old motor ran 5200.. New cam and rev limit should be closer to 5500

I was thinking if the tune was way off you might be able to tell by running a stock 1. But for $1500 not a option.

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
Unless you're setting the timing with the ecu in base timing mode with a scan tool, you're really don't know where your timing is. The advance is programmed in the ecu so you can only set initial timing and then calculate where the total will end up.
If your mechanic turned the distributor because the plug looked rich..... find another mechanic.

Yes and send him the bill for the rings[emoji6][emoji106]🏻