WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Fishing the Strip

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Guys,

Any tips for catching the following on the strip?

-Stripper
-Catfish
-Big mouth

The wife wants to fish and I don't want to look like a complete asshole when I go out there this weekend as my fishing experience has been limited to the San Diego beaches and bays.

Thanks!:thumbsup

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Guys,

Any tips for catching the following on the strip?

-Stripper
-Catfish
-Big mouth

The wife wants to fish and I don't want to look like a complete asshole when I go out there this weekend as my fishing experience has been limited to the San Diego beaches and bays.

Thanks!:thumbsup

EDIT: I see you said Parker. I'm more familiar with Havasu. Sorry bud. I'm sure most of what I posted will still apply.

For Striper's, I usually head south to Havasu Springs and net a bunch of minnows that usually gather by the Handicap dock and then fish the deeper sections off the points working my way along the CA side. There is a honey hole going North just before the river mouth. It's either a really good bite or nothing at all. Much smaller down south but much more consistent, for me anyways.

Not sure what the Bass situation is right now and where they're at in the spawn cycle. Depends on if the water has started to warm up yet. I usually fish them with a wacky worm this time of year and they'll concentrate around anything with a structure like trees and submerged rocks. Late in the evening I'll move to top water stuff and fish the more shallow coves.

Catfish... we all know they will eat anything that stinks. This is going to sound weird but I catch them every time with this setup in Havasu. I buy the cheapest turkey bacon I can find. It has to be turkey though. I then microwave it for 20-30 seconds depending on how much you want to take with you. I then throw it in a ziplock baggie. By the time your ready to throw the bacon on the hook it stinks like shit. I only fish catfish at night. I can catch them in the day also but the much larger bugle lip bastards are hunting at night. My best luck has been anywhere going North out of London Bridge and hitting the deeper backwaters. They like structure too so near submerged holes and pockets work best. They can't resist the microwaved turkey bacon lol. I've even caught a handful of Bass with it when I was fishing for catfish.

Good luck.

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
I'm not much the fisherman, but I think trying to fish on a holiday weekend might not be very productive. I don't know that the river will calm down enough for them to come active.

Most the locals go into hiding for the holidays. ;)

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Go to roadrunner and put a French fry on a hook. Toss your line in and within minutes she will have a huge carp. Keep repeating until she gets bored. If it were me while she was fishing keep feeding her cocktails. Pretty soon you will look like captain awesome and she won't care about fishing.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Go to roadrunner and put a French fry on a hook. Toss your line in and within minutes she will have a huge carp. Keep repeating until she gets bored. If it were me while she was fishing keep feeding her cocktails. Pretty soon you will look like captain awesome and she won't care about fishing.

This is good info right here!

I plan on keeping her fueled with road rapers and vodka tonics all day!

Most of our fishing will be from shore at night while we are sitting around camp getting boozed up. So catfish is most likely what we will rig up for.

NicPaus

Reaction score
My buddy uses Hebrew National hot dogs for the catfish. Said they wont eat the cheap ones. For bass they use a lure that looks like a craw dad. Stripers they use anchovies. I will ask my local buddies this weekend. They always fish out there and do well.

Beautiful Noise

Reaction score
There is a gentleman by the name of Mikey that is at castle Rock / employee at least he was there last summer he along with Ray who is in the motorhome by the lagoon might be able to steer you on the fishing in that area.If using hot dogs my boys always freeze them before using that way when you cast out they don't go flying off the hook :)

boatnam2

Reaction score
I use to have a place just above the keys and we would kill the catfish, big one's. Take a can of skippy dog food punch holes in it tie it to a rope and throw it in to marinate when you first get to river. My buddy fishes the rock pile form the az side and does really good with the bass also. Good thing about fishing and drinking beer, you always will catch a buzz!

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
My buddy uses Hebrew National hot dogs for the catfish. Said they wont eat the cheap ones. For bass they use a lure that looks like a craw dad. Stripers they use anchovies. I will ask my local buddies this weekend. They always fish out there and do well.

My brother used to use those as well down at big river many years back. Forgot about that trick!

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
There are some guys who fish for catfish a couple lots up from me here at Parker at night. They catch either bluegill or crayfish for bait. I saw them catch one around 6 or 7 lbs, but they told me the night before they caught one that was 26 lbs.

500bbc

Reaction score
There are some guys who fish for catfish a couple lots up from me here at Parker at night. They catch either bluegill or crayfish for bait. I saw them catch one around 6 or 7 lbs, but they told me the night before they caught one that was 26 lbs.

They used to sell goldfish in town, big ones, worked well on the cats.

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
I use a cheap little spoon that has trout colors on it from wal-mart for bass, always seem to hook em near my dock which makes me look pro in front of the holiday crowds...LOL. cat fish I have to agree, stinkier the better! and after 2 am, usually we grab some huge flying cockroaches from under our dock and rig em with wings out, and bass jump all over them especially with some help from the moonlight! good luck!
Aloha!

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
I wont be out until the Tube float mayhem weekend, gonna put the reflashed new ECM in my boat and pray she runs!, fishing may be optional as drinking may be prevalent....LOL