WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How big a boat for parker?

NicPaus

Reaction score
IMO the best boat for the Parker Strip is a Hallett 240.

I need to ride on one. So far the 25' Howard Bullet is the best size IMO for Parker that I have been on.

OGCroz

Reaction score
I need to ride on one. So far the 25' Howard Bullet is the best size IMO for Parker that I have been on.

I will be there the next 2 weekends. Boat has gold , maroon and blue in it. Name on back is '' Trust Me'' . Wave me down and I will gladely give you a ride.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Need some advice.

I am tired of getting thrashed around in my 19' deep v and was wondering what size boat you need to run the parker strip and rivers properly. Seems like no matter how I trim out the only way to deal with the chop is to reduce speed and cruise through almost off plane.

What makes a great riverboat hull? Size? Freeboard? V or cat shapes? Tunnel?

I know this is a vague question but I would like to get another boat that would handle better without breaking the bank. Would a 21' do it? 24'?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

:thumbsup

It really depends on ones level of frailty. Parker isn't the open ocean so an offshore boat is serious overkill. Keep what you have or toughen up a bit and go smaller. :D

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
It really depends on ones level of frailty. Parker isn't the open ocean so an offshore boat is serious overkill. Keep what you have or toughen up a bit and go smaller. :D

i guess i should have said I'm tired of thrashing the people in my bow around not me!:D

good advice all

thanks,

tkrrox

Reaction score
i guess i should have said I'm tired of thrashing the people in my bow around not me!:D

good advice all

thanks,

it serious depends on how you drive it...if you think you can buy a 25' boat and run 70 i think you are mistaken. everyones perception of a good ride is different...you need to ride in as many as possible at a speed you desire to go and then decide.

if you like your boat and don't want to drop a small fortune, look at putting tabs on yours...drop those down and blow through the slop.

tkrrox

Reaction score
I don't want to sound like the old guy here but boy is the younger generation a bunch of pussies.

Their should be a 21 foot limit by law. :D

i grew up on 22 and smaller...my first was a 19, then a 22.5, now a 240....the 22.5 was the most fun....the perfect cruiser and easy...the 240 is big, but surprisingly agile...not as much as the 22.5 though...wife loves the freeboard and security of the bigger, i liked being closer to the water. made me feel more connected.
]

scjohn

Reaction score
Hallett 270 Stright Bottom

Baddest MOFO on the Water :cool

Yes and Yes.

anything bigger or too fast is just not safe on Parker, there is no room to get big HP boats legs under them and if you could, you'd go dam to dam in 10 minutes. V bottoms are probably best for parker, a 21 should be adequate but a 24 or 27 will be a bit more comfortable. Better stick to Schiada or Hallett,when Parker re-opens it will be closed to all other boat brands. If you must have a cat; a single engine 26/27 will do the job but only Eliminator or DCB will be allowed. or so I've heard:D

SoCalZero

Reaction score
Whatever you do stay away from Stokers, they are known to sink at Parker.

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
I say 25-28' cat single engine. Big enough to handle the chop but doesn't create a big wake.

OCTANE MARINE

Reaction score
This is what you should have! And its for sale! Make you a good deal! IMG_6565.PNG IMG_6493.jpg

Dalton

Reaction score
Seem that pic a bunch but never that good of quality.....

TCHB

Reaction score
Totally agree, a deep vee will cut through the chop and be better for the tight turns. Cats handle it pretty good but turning around in curtain areas it tough.

We had a 21ft Sanger on the strip for many years which was ok in the early 90s when boats were smaller and there were less people.

When we bought our mobile home in 1980 on the Parker Strip there were only 12 spots on the front row which was called Desert Riviera. Then they built Emerald Cove right next to us with hundreds of spots along with other parks as they expanded. Throw in high powered large boats, jet skis and a lot more people the 21ft boat was not fun. My old neighbor just sold his 36 Fountain that he ran on the river for about 16 years.

I still like the idea of the 25 Shockwave or similar size boat that turn around just about anywhere on the strip.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
My 21ft tunnel beats me up on rough days.

My 2750 is comfy in water but just a bit big to manage when turning around in the keys and dealing with shallow spots.

After doing it several decades with - I would agree a 24/25ft V hull is the perfect size for the parker strip.

UD

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I've owned a lot of boats. From twin engine cats, single engine cats all the way down to 19' jets. I think the mid 20's vees are perfectly suited for Parker.

Havasu you can't have a big enough boat.

That being said not all mid sized vees ride the same. 240 Hallett is probably one of the best riding family boats in that size. 24 Schiada was absolutely perfect for me, but not in the "not breaking the bank" price range. I would try and find a 240 or 255 Hallett.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
I've owned a lot of boats. From twin engine cats, single engine cats all the way down to 19' jets. I think the mid 20's vees are perfectly suited for Parker.

That being said not all mid sized vees ride the same. 240 Hallett is probably one of the best riding family boats in that size. 24 Schiada was absolutely perfect for me, but not in the "not breaking the bank" price range. I would try and find a 240 or 255 Hallett.

How do the 21-24' advantages, shockwaves, lasers, essex, genesis, ultras, and similar V's run compared to Hallets? or is that sacrilegious to even bring up?

Joker

Reaction score
How do the 21-24' advantages, shockwaves, lasers, essex, genesis, ultras, and similar V's run compared to Hallets? or is that sacrilegious to even bring up?

My 25' Nordic will run just as good as a Hallett. If you want teak floors, buy a Hallett but IMHO they are as overrated as a Schiada.:)

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
We upgraded from a 21' Essex Sterling to a 23' Monarch so we could cruise more comfortably during windy days at Havasu and Mohave.

For parker strip, we felt either boat was fine, but we don't usually boat during busy holiday weekends.

LB247XS

Reaction score
ULTRA 247XS
HALLETT. 240
NORDIC 25
can't go wrong with any of theses and we really love our 247XS.

Outdrive1

Reaction score

Lol. I think any of those would be fine. The 240 is big for a 24. The 25 rage is pretty nice too.

Just my preference for softest ride would be a 240. You may not like it though. It may not feel as nimble or sporty. Kinda depends on what you like.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

Freudian slip?:D:eek

Outdrive1

Reaction score
To me a 270 feels too big and sluggish. Just like when I had a 33 Daytona. It was like driving a uhaul truck. I preferred a 29 Dcb over that boat. My Schiada is really aggressive and likes to stay in the water more than on top. It's happier busting waves than dancing over them. Some boats aren't designed for that and you'd get beat to shit trying to do that in them. That boat isn't for everyone. It's happiest in rough water. The 27 and 29 Laveys are like that too. The rougher the better. The 29 though is a handful in flat water.

There's always a trade off. And a lot comes down to personal preference.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I can't keep up with all you 210 guys.

I'm not so sure I keep asking questions but it seems built up 210's only run 80 regardless of power...lol

your 24 is still one of my favorite boats on Parker....Perfect size

Outdrive1

Reaction score
I'm not so sure I keep asking questions but it seems built up 210's only run 80 regardless of power...lol

your 24 is still one of my favorite boats on Parker....Perfect size

Yeah it's kinda that wall. 80's. That outboard runs just under 80. Ricks ran just over. Maybe you need big power and bigger balls to run one at 100?

getreal

Reaction score
So, I shouldn't take my 36' Skater to Parker for Dave's B-day party???

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Yeah it's kinda that wall. 80's. That outboard runs just under 80. Ricks ran just over. Maybe you need big power and bigger balls to run one at 100?

shall see....

I'm not looking to yard sale to set records so if the hull only likes 80-85 that's all she's getting.

I'm hoping it gets set up to be a solid boat regardless of speed.....shall see but if it only gains 8 mph with 250+ hp and a shorty drive that's gonna suck...haha

h2o225

Reaction score
our 225 crownline is great in parker also on the lakes. It does ride like a Cadillac but not popular on the west coast. When we were looking for a boat I wanted 24+ the wife found the 22.5 crownline and that was the end of the story.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Need some advice.

I am tired of getting thrashed around in my 19' deep v and was wondering what size boat you need to run the parker strip and rivers properly. Seems like no matter how I trim out the only way to deal with the chop is to reduce speed and cruise through almost off plane.

What makes a great riverboat hull? Size? Freeboard? V or cat shapes? Tunnel?

I know this is a vague question but I would like to get another boat that would handle better without breaking the bank. Would a 21' do it? 24'?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

:thumbsup

Stop going on holiday (or any weekends for that matter) weekends and you'll have no issues at all in what you have right now. :thumbsup

20150411_175356.jpg

RCDave

Reaction score
38' fountain's are perfect for parker. Especially when they beach at Roadrunner and get stuck

getreal

Reaction score
I half expected your 21 to be done by then..

Maybe you can take my 12? :D

RD

Picking out the colors for the 21' next week. it's going to be a winter project.
At lease I got some transmissions for the Skater, NO more crash boxes. :)
My daughter's baby shower is next week (June 6th), I need to stay here to help out. I'll be out there the week after that and talk about the 12' er.

guest hs

Reaction score
If all these guys with these huge boats would go run them on the big lakes or oceans where they belong the strip would be a nice place again were you wouldn't get beat up in a 19 ft boat. I say we start a petition on the Parker Strip no boats over 27 foot and no wake surfing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

getreal

Reaction score
If all these guys with these huge boats would go run them on the big lakes or oceans where they belong the strip would be a nice place again were you wouldn't get beat up in a 19 ft boat. I say we start a petition on the Parker Strip no boats over 27 foot and no wake surfing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No offence, my 36' Skater puts out less of a wake than any 27' V bottom at the same speed.

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score

There are some kayaker's in Havasu that are waiting for your friend request.....