WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat upholstery shop in Havi Performance rating?

nodigg

ROG
Reaction score
So I should have checked here first for references but.....

I am having...er...trying to have a boat upholstered in Havasu. Gave George a deposit 3 weeks before Memorial day and he said he could not get it done before Memorial and I said no problemo do what you can by then but leave it usable for the weekend. Boats came and went and mine just sat outside, got filthy and was not touched. O.k., things happen, others press harder I get that. So I decided to take it some place else but when I spoke to him Saturday of the holiday and saw it was not touched (nor materials ordered) he looked me in the eye and shook my hand and said "I will have it ready by Thursday. O.K. George, I will leave with you to get it done. The boat sat out in the rain storms Havi had and now the carpet smells of mildew and had not planned on doing the carpet.

He did me a favor and picked it up at my house in Havi on Tuesday and stripped it down. Since he had not started or ordered materials I made some design changes by phone, (keeping it stock) On Wednesday I had to be back out there for work and on Thursday I stopped by hoping to see it almost finished. There it was, outside again stripped and all work stopped with added boats in the shop again. He still had not ordered materials. We went over the materials together and he said he would have them Friday last week. (one day later than he said the boat would be done. He did find the hatch was a bit rotted and I gave permission to build a new one on Tuesday when he called me. It was laying on the floor under another boat with no work done on it along with all the other stripped pieces.

Here it is Monday and the boat is being used this Thursday-Monday (I HOPE) at the Parker river float. I sent a wordy text asking him to please stick to his word and not be a typical Havasu business that says one thing and does another.

Does anyone have a experience getting things done with Geroge? Am I just being to demanding?

Frustrated again!.

OK, all vented out.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Not sure who George is but at this point I would doubt you will have it for the tube float.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I would venture to say you got the typical "dezert business" treatment.

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
Rick go see Ed Lawrence at "The Recovery Room"
Tell Him Karl with the jeep sent you

nodigg

ROG
Reaction score
Rick go see Ed Lawrence at "The Recovery Room"
Tell Him Karl with the jeep sent you

Weel I have another to get done so I guess repeat business for George is not happening at this point.

Havasteve

Reaction score
Havasu is well known for having the most fucked up business people. The standards are way low. I'm currently living in Havasu without air conditioning. The condenser was replaced 3 years ago. The contractor wouldn't pull a vacuum when it was installed so it ran very hard. I called the guy and told him it stopped working and was unhappy with the installation and was yelled at when I told him about the need to pull a vacuum after replacing a condenser. I cant get anyone to call me back or come out and fix it. I'm bracing for having to sue the guy to get the money to have it fixed. It's fucking hot in here.

My advise it that you have to get the name of the person doing the work, weather boat work or concrete. You need to research their names. Civil suits, Criminal history and everything. Had I did that I would have never hired this business. They live up to their reputation. Apparently this guy is a piece of shit.

Dave needs to start a RD's List.

Fuckit, I'm launching for the night. It's a full moon. I'm overstressed.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Havasu is well known for having the most fucked up business people. The standards are way low. I'm currently living in Havasu without air conditioning. The condenser was replaced 3 years ago. The contractor wouldn't pull a vacuum when it was installed so it ran very hard. I called the guy and told him it stopped working and was unhappy with the installation and was yelled at when I told him about the need to pull a vacuum after replacing a condenser. I cant get anyone to call me back or come out and fix it. I'm bracing for having to sue the guy to get the money to have it fixed. It's fucking hot in here.

My advise it that you have to get the name of the person doing the work, weather boat work or concrete. You need to research their names. Civil suits, Criminal history and everything. Had I did that I would have never hired this business. They live up to their reputation. Apparently this guy is a piece of shit.

I thought about the "list" deal.. LOL Out here though the biz practices are pretty bad though, so I'm not sure the list would be that long? :D

I'm sure you have already called Carey to come out and look at it for you. If you haven't give him a shout.

RD

slowinhavasu

Reaction score

We would be happy to come out and give you a free diagnoses, and cost to repair..just call me..928-846-3018

gmnhra

Reaction score
I thought about the "list" deal.. LOL Out here though the biz practices are pretty bad though, so I'm not sure the list would be that long? :D

RD

Probably two to three entries max..
It is just amazing how difficult it is to find quality service/contractor work in havasu. Even some of my "go to" guys have trouble maintaining a level of quality/price/delivery...
I guess the sun finally bakes through and beats em down.....

Havasu Half-Ass syndrome:
twice the price, half the quality, double the delivery date....

nodigg

ROG
Reaction score
It is just amazing how difficult it is to find quality service/contractor work in havasu. Even some of my "go to" guys have trouble maintaining a level of quality/price/delivery...

++

:smackhead:):thumbsup

Havasteve

Reaction score
We would be happy to come out and give you a free diagnoses, and cost to repair..just call me..928-846-3018

Thanks I will. I'm going to try and call them again tomorrow. I called twice today. still no call. At what point should I give up on them. Being that they are the ones that installed it incorrectly I'm wanting them to come out and make it right. I love it when a company treats you like a priority.

Havasteve

Reaction score

It's Havasu. We just have to expect less. Partying and boating first, Work second. It's why I moved here.

Patyacht

Reaction score

That there is Right on the money. I've lived all over the world and never have experienced the extremely poor work ethic of Havasu.
Now for Carey I can say he's the best bar none.

BeerMaker

"B" Team Token Black Guy
Reaction score
I've been coming to Havasu for more than a decade but I had no idea how Shitty the business ethics are until we got the house. Everyone I call either doesn't answer, or don't want to be bothered, flake on appointments or charge a ridiculous rate.... And many times still flake on the ridiculously priced jobs. I don't know how you full timers do it. I'm thinking about dragging the boat back to Cali for the stereo and interior work. Nobody wants my money out there.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
It is getting pretty crazy - I think a factor is things have picked up construction / Realestate wise. Everyone that made it or left over from the resession is oversubscribed. When I did a bunch of projects timing was perfect if I tried to do them now I would lose my mind. :D

nodigg

ROG
Reaction score
I've been coming to Havasu for more than a decade but I had no idea how Shitty the business ethics are until we got the house. Everyone I call either doesn't answer, or don't want to be bothered, flake on appointments or charge a ridiculous rate.... And many times still flake on the ridiculously priced jobs. I don't know how you full timers do it. I'm thinking about dragging the boat back to Cali for the stereo and interior work. Nobody wants my money out there.

:thumbup:

BasilHayden

Reaction score
x99 Just call Carey and get cool, I wouldn't lose any more sleep over the first guy.

and Dave, a Dave's list would help the inmates find quality contractors. If nothing else they would always go over the top so for the inmates so as to keep their rep in the community. It is not such a bad idea. In some ways you already do it...

nodigg

ROG
Reaction score
x99 Just call Carey and get cool, I wouldn't lose any more sleep over the first guy.

and Dave, a Dave's list would help the inmates find quality contractors. If nothing else they would always go over the top so for the inmates so as to keep their rep in the community. It is not such a bad idea. In some ways you already do it...

Yes on both counts.

Gotta call Carey myself for some garage ducting from the house.

On another note. 5 - 1/2 weeks in and we now have 3 side panels in the boat with new upholstery! I'd say that's nearly 2% finished already. Who says Havasu Biz owners don't gitter dun?

gqchris

Reaction score
I have been thru numerous Havasu boat shops. Even some that are owned with my close friends! Getting shit done in a timely manner is just not the "Havasu Way". Its damn irritating. I dont even own a home there, but its the same with just getting my boat looked after.

Or even just calling about Storage last month. I was given a "fuck you we are full" attitude by some big name places. Not even a "sorry" or "can i put you on a waiting list". Some even laughed.

I'm beginning to think the "locals" are hating the tourists.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I actually have had only 1 experience with a business in Havi. Last year I was in parker for the Enduro and when I was leaving I blew out my transmission 1 mile outside of town. The inmates got me in contact with "Shadow" here on the boards, owner of Robinson Automotive in Havi.

I spoke with him on Monday morning and he physically had me back in my truck with a new transmission on Tuesday at 1:00 in the afternoon. Now that's what I call service!! I couldn't even get that kind of service out here in So Cal.

Mrs.Racer277

SOCIAL
Reaction score
Yes on both counts.

Gotta call Carey myself for some garage ducting from the house.

On another note. 5 - 1/2 weeks in and we now have 3 side panels in the boat with new upholstery! I'd say that's nearly 2% finished already. Who says Havasu Biz owners don't gitter dun?

I am happy to hear you are getting some work done finally :thumbsup It is tough sometime times to get things done in Havasu

Carey has always been awesome with us :thumbsup

Havasteve

Reaction score

I'm sure you have already called Carey to come out and look at it for you. If you haven't give him a shout.

RD

See Dave it's all your fault:D

If you had a list I would have been dealing with Carey and not this derelict.

Actually look at it this way. The list, if affective, would logically be short. For my AC needs I only need one contractor.

Just think. Contractor accountability. Willing to face their customers on an open forum after the work in done. If they can survive that they earned the RDP Contractors Endorsement Certification.

Backlash

Reaction score
"River Dave's List."

Good service based on points, that particular vendor moves up the list towards the top....remaining on page 1.

Bad service based on evasive ratings and the vendor gets moved down a not have or two. Eventually the "Not so good" vendor will either change the way they conduct business or be eliminated.

Just a thought.

If I owned a business, and people were calling me for a service, you can bet your ass I would shower them with customer service. For the example of the storage unit deal posed by Chris.....even if I didn't have the space, either put you on a list of some sort or refer you to someone who has an opening. It's a win-win for him the customer and me the business owner.

I just don't understand business owners with the "F you" attitude.

Henry

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Do you guys see all those blinky ads on the right, top, and bottom? LOL...

RD