WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

almost lost my boat summer kick off party

cakemoto

Reaction score
shit got real at bartlett this weekend. Running down the lake floored{we used the boat friday afternoon no problems} boat cuts out, i look back the fockin engine is on fire!:eek The fuel line came off the carb.Now it gets real,grab the extinguisher pull the pin,hit the button and thing works for 2 seconds and stops.wtf? It's 2 years old.
here comes a couple and there kids on there new rollbar boat...by now im going crazy,wigging out.Yelling help,help get me a fire extinguisher they pull up with one as big as a beer can....ok really,my buddy jumps off and is yelling for me to get off.Took me a few seconds to think then jumped in the water...i did not have a shirt on(so that would work) Im thinking my fockin boats goona burn right here next to me and sink:( So i just start splashing water about 2 gallons i threw on that bitch and it went out.I am so lucky guys,please go check your extinguisher it's no joke.Not to mention 460 (Tyro)on the other side of the lake boat almost caught on fire too:yikes

Honestly i been boating my whole life and never had an experience like this,it scared me.Still not sure what i want to do..for now my summer boating is done.I am going to put a cover on the boat and forget about it for a while.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Holy crap. I can't imagine how helpless you must have felt. Sucks you have some major repairs ahead, I'm sure, but at least it wasn't worse :( Fortunately, no one was hurt.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I would of grabbed a vest jumped off and watched it burn, getting a new boat is easy but new skin is hard to come by. Glad you're ok.

28Eliminator

Reaction score
DAMN :yikes Thankfully no one was hurt.. How bad is the boat?

dezertrider

Reaction score
The extinguishers get compacted. Some times you need to back them on the side to free up the powder inside.

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score
Don't know why but I've got two fire extinguishers on my boat, but do now. Glad no one got hurt and the boat is in Ok shape.

MSum661

Reaction score
Man...your lucky as heck!

Attachments

• 44Chrome_Halon_Fire_Extinguisher.jpg
    44Chrome_Halon_Fire_Extinguisher.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 7

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Glad your ok. Me.... I'd have broke out some marshmallows and let my shit burn. Stated value equals NEW BOAT! :D
^^^^^^^THIS!!

Summer wouldn't be over either..........glad you are ok.

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Glad your ok. Me.... I'd have broke out some marshmallows and let my shit burn. Stated value equals NEW BOAT! :D

With my luck. My insurance would have lapsed.

cakemoto

Reaction score
i will get some pictures up.I do not have Insurance guys..yes my fault.Boat needs new dizzy,new hoses,all new wiring,ect.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that...hope you get her fixed quick!

i will get some pictures up.I do not have Insurance guys..yes my fault.Boat needs new dizzy,new hoses,all new wiring,ect.

I hope you still have liability coverage...accidents can and do happen. :)

dezrtracer

Reaction score
Sure glad you guys didn't get hurt !! I have a seat in the 24 for you Jake :drink ...

Lyn

jonnyd

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your experience! Thanks for sharing as it is a great reminder for all of us to check our extinguishers and to get two of them. You can never plan for every situation, but being prepared is always helpful in this situation. I think in most home fires that if you can't put it out with one extinguisher it's time to get out, but in a boat where can you go but overboard which can be scary for some.

Many years ago I had the surge brakes on my trailer stay on while driving just enough to heat the wheel up to where the tire exploded and caught on fire. I looked back and it appeared as though the entire side of my boat was on fire. I pulled over and hit the ground running before the truck even stopped. The initial spray from the extinguisher put the fire out, but the red hot wheel continually re-ignited the tire. The only thing that saved the boat was the ice chest full of cold water.

I think I'm going to go purchase two new extinguishers just to be on the safe side. Glad that nobody got hurt!

milkmoney

Reaction score
Dang. Glad everyone is alright.

Sorry about ur luck [emoji107]

dread Pirate

Reaction score

I have a Mallory distributor sitting on a shelf in my shop. Probably a set of wires too if you want them to get it back on the water.

Glad you're ok. :thumbsup The boat can be fixed.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
:yikes Wait until the week end after the adrenaline wears off and you can have a beer and laugh about it a little with your buddies. Then look at it and you'll probably see its not that bad. Like desertrider said I bet half the extinguishers on boats don't work from being compacted. I checked mine Sunday and it said full charge but I know its jammed up from compacting. I've watched a few boats burn to the water line once the resin starts burning.
Glad you're OK Jake.

Boschma

Wish I was at the River
Reaction score
Wow, glad you are ok! That's scary

Reaction score
Lol I was trying to forget about it.

Honestly never been so scared in my life. Not sure what happened. Boat went to fire and back fired. Tried to hit it again and back fired. So I let it sit, tossed a rope to my bud and they pulled me away from the beach. Minute or so goes by and my buddies wife yells fire. I looked back and dark smoke or coming out from under the dog house. By this time my buddy had bailed off his boat and is coming. I pull the the dog house off and the top was smoldering good, the carb and back half of the manifold were completely on fire. My buddy tossed water on the dog house while I took my wet shirt and tried to smother the fire. It would not go out. After what seemed like forever it went out. It runs, but like complete shit so not sure what's wrong. Burned a few wires, burned the top of the dog pretty good. Carb took some good heat so I have no idea what's up with it. I've called the insurance just waiting to hear back.

Could I have left it burn, yea. But my pride couldn't let my boat just burn like that. Plus I didn't want to have to listen to od1, jbs, and sml for like forever.

Cake, I have about 20 ft of black push on hose that you can have if it will help you.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
I had a similar situation happen in parker w/ a borrowed one year. Got to town, gassed up and launched. Ran up river, came back and set the anchor. Must have gone back to set up camp then went out for another cruise later. As soon as I hit the starter, we had a fireball under the hatch!!! Gf bailed, my buddy and me stayed and splashed water and some folks swarmed over w/ extinguishers. We got it out and on the trailer and then I figured out what happened. The gasket for the sending unit had dried up (cork) and leaked gas into the bilge when the temp came up and expanded the gas. I patched a couple wires in the harness that ran up the gunnel and it ran but it melted the Morse steering cable and was super hard to turn anymore.

Glad y'all are ok!