WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Interior cleaning help!

jhoogie

Reaction score
This past weekend while at the tube float, some friends put their inflatables in the open bow area. One of the tubes was written on with a Sharpe marker, and the ink transferred onto the upholstery. Ive tried using vinyl sauce, magic eraser, WD40 (was suggested by my neighbor) and nothing is touching it. Any suggestions on getting permanent marker out without ruining the interior any more?

Motor Boater

Reaction score
I wouldn't go crazy and abuse the material trying to get it out. It will fade and come off eventually. I know when strippers are on your boat and they have sharpie written on them that transfers to the seats it comes out after a few cleanings and a few months. Oops.....I mean.... I heard that's what happens.

28Eliminator

Reaction score
Let it sit in the sunlight.... Works for purple bathing suit stains [emoji106]

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
A friend of mine told me about a cleaner called Awesome or something like that. He said it works very good. I believe he said he got it at the 99 cent store

gqchris

Reaction score
I wouldn't go crazy and abuse the material trying to get it out. It will fade and come off eventually. I know when strippers are on your boat and they have sharpie written on them that transfers to the seats it comes out after a few cleanings and a few months. Oops.....I mean.... I heard that's what happens.

X2, it wont come out with tradtional methods. Kinda like those free trash bags with blue ink. I have had many a friends boat get a nice tattoo from forgetting to turn them inside out. Wet beads also like to leave a present behind.

The only cure is leaving it in the sun and using it. After a while, it fades out and you forget about it. :thumbsup

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
I second the leave it in the sun bit. That has worked for me in the past with New Orleans type colored beads left on a bow cushion to melt in the sun. The sun seemed to have lifted it right out. I never even but any cleaner on it. Just wiped periodically.

jhoogie

Reaction score

Haha the girls we bring usually end up doing the stripping after a trip to roadrunner so no experience with the strippers :p I'll let it sit and see what happens. Just bugs me seeing it everytime :grumble:

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Try scrubbing bubbles. If that doesn't work the sunlight will eventually fade it....know how I know?? I had a bunch of sports memorabilia that was signed with sharpies in a really bright room of my house....the signatures are now gone.:grumble:

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
Try scrubbing bubbles. If that doesn't work the sunlight will eventually fade it....know how I know?? I had a bunch of sports memorabilia that was signed with sharpies in a really bright room of my house....the signatures are now gone.:grumble:

That sucks. Uv light is the worst thing for sharpie signed stuff. Wonder how much depreciation you suffered?

X Hoser

Reaction score
Try the orange hand cleaner. It may not remove it completely but will cut if enough for the sun to finish the job. I've been amazed at what it has cleaned on upholstery.

jhoogie

Reaction score
Try the orange hand cleaner. It may not remove it completely but will cut if enough for the sun to finish the job. I've been amazed at what it has cleaned on upholstery.

I have tons of that stuff in the garage, Ill give it a shot. Thanks!

rush1

Reaction score
Go to the auto parts store and buy a can of crc brake clean spray it on a clean rag and wipe the affected area, make sure you put some vinyl dressing on the area right away because the brake clean will dry out the vinyl right away:thumbsup

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
One time while my boat was in the garage for a couple of months my dog climbed the ladder and took a shit on the sun pad. It was a stain that nothing would take out and EVERYTHING was tried. After a couple of weeks using the boat with the shit stain there the sun faded it out completely. I was just impressed Roxy climbed the ladder.....lol I think she was pissed I didn't take her out on the boat with us that day. That friggin' dog is a smart one and vindictive :)

hallett3

Reaction score
Try rubbing alcohol or bleach has worked for me on stains on vinyl. Just be sure if you use anything harsher try rubbing it on a spot you don't see, like where they staple on the bottom of seat. Hope it works out for you.

Nord

HONKY
Reaction score
Sun and river water. Don't use anything else on it. Mine was gone in 2 days and my interior is white.

NicPaus

Reaction score

That is hands down the best for white interior. posted a few times about it in the past.

jhoogie

Reaction score

I gave this a shot this afternoon and it did just that! It took about 90% of the stain out, and now you wouldn't tell its there if you hadn't know about it previously. Thanks for the suggestion :thumbsup

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Since Sharpies are alcohol-based, a cotton ball soaked in rubbing alcohol will usually remove most of the mark. You can also try denatured alcohol or goof off. Be sure to condition the seats after.

77charger

Reaction score
I be scared to put anything else besides a cleaner made specifically for vinyl.Yeh it may clean well but give it a couple years and it will show.

I just had mine redone in oct and i want it to last.I have got them yellow dots from the sky and used a vinyl cleaner it didnt remove all of it but the sun did its thing couple hours later it was gone.

Danzo

Reaction score
Lysol Aerosol can. I used this on my baseball line up board. Was supposed to be dry erase but I grabbed a Sharpie instead. Took it right off after letting it soak for a minute.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I have used the orange hand cleaner for over 10 years. No long term issues, I always use a few wet paper towels or rags after to remove any excess.

wishiknew

Reaction score
Take a sharpie and write on top of the stain then as fast as you can wipe it off trust me it works

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Use a dry erase marker. I have used them many times to get sharpie off

NicPaus

Reaction score

No Permatex fast orange. They sell it at home depot and kragen. Has no solvents and uses pumice as a abrasive with orange to clean. The pumice really gets the dirt embedded in the pores. Not needed for a basic cleaning but if it needs a deep scrub or to clean up a spill or a stain.

X Hoser

Reaction score
No Permatex fast orange. They sell it at home depot and kragen. Has no solvents and uses pumice as a abrasive with orange to clean. The pumice really gets the dirt embedded in the pores. Not needed for a basic cleaning but if it needs a deep scrub or to clean up a spill or a stain.

^^^^^This. Also, Lemon Pledge instead of those expensive detail sprays. Works great!

Flynryan

Reaction score
When my daughter was really young I put her in my truck while washing it and she grabbed a sharpie and drew all over the headliner.

My wife got it all out with Krud cutter.

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
Another :thumbsup for letting the sun take care of it.

Last Halloween, my wife and I went to the party as "Obama Free loaders".

I drew that Obama circle dealio on the back of my wife's shirt with red and blue sharpies.

The next morning, I noticed that the "art work" had transferred from her shirt to the seat back of our golf cart.

I was freaked out cause I didn't exactly want it there.....

Tried a bunch of stuff which didn't work, but eventually the sun bleached it out. It's completely gone now..... :D

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434038117.205066.jpg

oldschool

Reaction score
A friend of mine told me about a cleaner called Awesome or something like that. He said it works very good. I believe he said he got it at the 99 cent store

YES. 156844_v2.jpg This stuff works great. Don't know if it will lift Sharpie, but it has removed stuff that the magic erase won't. I get it at the dollar store.