WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

High performance exhaust?

Ultra912

Reaction score
While sorting my 1750 black Max, is there a high performance exhaust for these or?????? Looking to give it a little extra punch without spending an arm and a leg. Any other easy upgrade suggestions appreciated.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Well, I don't know about easy as the power head has to come off to do the mods. The exhaust plate and tuner can be modified. Diamond Marine in Florida does this all the time, it's not cheap however. Something else that will help is to relieve the exhaust in the mid section. With the power head off look inside for a flat area near the bottom on both sides. You can drill 4 or 5, 5/8" holes on each side which will improve flow, it will also make the motor a lot louder on plane.

Ultra912

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance but where exactly is the power head? At the spark plugs? Do you have a photo? I've had the boat for 24 years but have had no issues and the cowling rarely came off until now so I'm oblivious to the outboards inner works.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
The power head is the actual motor portion. Essentially everything inside the cowling.

The power head bolts to the "mid section" which is everything from the bottom of the cowling, to the lower unit. Basically 3 big chunks to an outboard.

You will have to adjust the carbs with any exhaust work. And the gains are fairly minimal without other work. I would recommend slightly higher compression heads, and running good gas for some extra punch.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
The power head is the actual motor portion. Essentially everything inside the cowling.

The power head bolts to the "mid section" which is everything from the bottom of the cowling, to the lower unit. Basically 3 big chunks to an outboard.

You will have to adjust the carbs with any exhaust work. And the gains are fairly minimal without other work. I would recommend slightly higher compression heads, and running good gas for some extra punch.

Good explanation there and yeah with engine mods one thing leads to another. I would just leave it alone and if you want more power/speed put a 200 on it.