WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Coaxial 6.5's

Jmp

Reaction score
I'm goingn to replace my old marine pioneer coaxial 6.5's which are only rated to 30 watts rms with some new 6.5 or...? I'm been researching the Polk mm651um which are 100 watts rms at 4 ohms and come with a 1" tweeter. I also have been looking at the Jl audio mx line of coaxials. What are you guys running in your boats?

STV_Keith

Reaction score
It seems like most audio guys will say it's not a big deal to run non-marine spec speakers out here. We don't have the salt or exposure like a boat that runs in the ocean. If you boat in the fresh water like Havasu, etc, then car audio should suit you and you have a lot more options.

I'd be looking at the Hertz Energy series if I were in your shoes. I was blown away with their stuff last I auditioned some speakers.

http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/category/speakers-lines/energy/

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
It seems like most audio guys will say it's not a big deal to run non-marine spec speakers out here. We don't have the salt or exposure like a boat that runs in the ocean. If you boat in the fresh water like Havasu, etc, then car audio should suit you and you have a lot more options.

I'd be looking at the Hertz Energy series if I were in your shoes. I was blown away with their stuff last I auditioned some speakers.

http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/category/speakers-lines/energy/

Agreed! Pricer than most, but you get what you pay for. The sound will blow you away.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
I'm goingn to replace my old marine pioneer coaxial 6.5's which are only rated to 30 watts rms with some new 6.5 or...? I'm been researching the Polk mm651um which are 100 watts rms at 4 ohms and come with a 1" tweeter. I also have been looking at the Jl audio mx line of coaxials. What are you guys running in your boats?

Where you at, I just bought a pair of infinity's that are too small for my speaker holes, think I paid $75 for them, I'll let um go for $50

McGruff38

Reaction score
I have been pretty happy with the Polk DB line of speakers. They are actually marine rated speakers, so there is a little extra piece of mind there. I have 2 pairs of 6.5" coaxials in my Manx sand rail, 2 pairs of 5x7 coaxials in my Excursion, and 2 pairs of the 6.5" coaxials in my Chaparral. The manx has probably been the biggest test for them since they are exposed to the sun and sand when were are duning. I think they sound pretty clear and have some good midbass. Its kinda hard to go wrong at $60/pairhttp://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-DB651-6-5-Inch-Speakers/dp/B000P0PF9G

machinist68

Reaction score
JBL speakers & class D digital amps have worked well for me. Alpine too