WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking to get out of CA possibly Prescott AZ

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
We are visiting Prescott this week to see if we like the area. Does anybody have actual knowledge on the job market over here? Any inside help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
I tried to relocate... Wife did to care for Prescott. I took her in the winter.

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
I tried to relocate... Wife did to care for Prescott. I took her in the winter.

We're here now and really like the area. I have heard the winter can be a little cold but where I grew up I'm used to that.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Not a week goes by that I don't think of moving to Prescott. Beautiful area, 4 seasons and similar distance to the river.

HavaToon

Reaction score
We are visiting Prescott this week to see if we like the area. Does anybody have actual knowledge on the job market over here? Any inside help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Enjoy the worlds oldest rodeo while you're there. If you need a realtor let me know, my dad is a broker.

What kind of job(s)?

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
My step-daughter lives outside of Prescott, Arizona in Dewey. We both like the area and could definitely see us moving there if there was work there for me.

I?m not really fond of the winters and snow but it doesn?t snow nearly as much there as it does in Flagstaff.

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
What do you do?

Environmental/Hazmat, Trucking, towing, run heavy equipment. I was the operations & fleet manager for and environmental company for 9 years. I threw in the towel 3 weeks ago time for a change. Any companies in that general field for sale out here?

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
I would look at Fann Construction, And APS. They both do large scale road construction and excavation. There are also plenty of smaller excavation companies out here. ACE Hardware has one of their largest distribution warehouses here and they run logistics out of there I believe. Should be easy enough to find a good fit for you. It won't be Cali money but you don't need Cali money here either. You are here at the right time of year. Summertime is always abuzz with tourists and events around town. Monsoons started yesterday so get out and enjoy some of the states best weather! If you need any restaurant recommendations let me know!

HavaToon

Reaction score
CLM Earth Movers is another large scale road construction. Also the city, county and state have fairly large fleets.

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
I would look at Fann Construction, And APS. They both do large scale road construction and excavation. There are also plenty of smaller excavation companies out here. ACE Hardware has one of their largest distribution warehouses here and they run logistics out of there I believe. Should be easy enough to find a good fit for you. It won't be Cali money but you don't need Cali money here either. You are here at the right time of year. Summertime is always abuzz with tourists and events around town. Monsoons started yesterday so get out and enjoy some of the states best weather! If you need any restaurant recommendations let me know!

This is all good information. Where's the good eats????

Thanks

HavaToon

Reaction score
This is all good information. Where's the good eats????

Thanks

LaBruzza's Italian Ristorante
Papa's Italian Restaurant
Prescott Brewing Company
Bill's Pizza
Bill's Grill
Nick's feed your face - deli sandwich
Zeke's Eatin Place - huge breakfast plates

HavaToon

Reaction score
It's "Preskit"

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435601568.814175.jpg

I can't find a picture of the real sign.

Also known as PTown, Biscuit and Skit.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
How far is the drive to Pleasant? Can you boat on any of the local lakes (Watson or Willow Creek)?

How are the housing prices for something in the 3,000 square foot range with 4 + bedrooms in a good area??

HavaToon

Reaction score
How far is the drive to Pleasant? Can you boat on any of the local lakes (Watson or Willow Creek)?

How are the housing prices for something in the 3,000 square foot range with 4 + bedrooms in a good area??

Lake Pleasant is about 1-1.5 hours away depending where in town you're coming from. Local lakes are only good for fishing or paddle sports.

A 3k sqft house in Prescott will start in the $400's. The average price per sqft is about $150 and the average house is about $300k.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Lake Pleasant is about 1-1.5 hours away depending where in town you're coming from. Local lakes are only good for fishing or paddle sports.

A 3k sqft house in Prescott will start in the $400's. The average price per sqft is about $150 and the average house is about $300k.

That is not a bad drive to Pleasant! Prices seem to be the same as where I live in So Cal, but I am sure property taxes and energy costs are much less. I wish I could get the wife to move out of CA!!

ColdSteel

Life on the Main Jet.
Reaction score
Environmental/Hazmat, Trucking, towing, run heavy equipment. I was the operations & fleet manager for and environmental company for 9 years. I threw in the towel 3 weeks ago time for a change. Any companies in that general field for sale out here?

Haz waste?.. I did that for a number of years too. Not anymore.
Good luck.

2Driver

Reaction score

Its more like 2 hours towing. You'd want to come down the 17. Coming down the 89 would be a bit nasty IMO

Remember Prescott is not the 909, leave it as is. :D

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Same here. If I ever got the chance to work from home everyday we'd be gone.

That's what's holding me back as well.

I have a friend there who continually tries to give me a nudge by sending me videos and pictures of the area. I'm headed back out in a few weeks to visit. Can't wait.

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Other eats...

Raven Cafe, good organic burgers and great micro brew

Prescott Station. Good steaks and other dinner eats

Bin 239. Great wine and wood fired pizzas

Rosa's great Italian

Tara Thai. Good Thai and great atmosphere

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
What a day!!!!!! Met with a friend who is a contractor out here. Got some good contacts and great ideas. Figured out what trucking business I'm going to start, already found both trucks, thank you CARB for retiring perfectly good trucks in Ca so I can use them to start my business in AZ (idiots), went and looked at houses, found 2 different brand new house never lived in on 2 acre lots for $350 that we absolutely love, my friends wife is now our realtor, We called our Awesome neighbors back home to break the sad news we had fallen in love with Prescott and that we were going to be moving, neighbors called us back an hour later told us not to list our house because his mom is going to move to Ca from Minnesota and that she's going to buy our house....... WTF!!!!! How in the hell does this all fall into place like this. Damn i feel blessed today.

Thank you all for your help

cnj

Reaction score
What a day!!!!!! Met with a friend who is a contractor out here. Got some good contacts and great ideas. Figured out what trucking business I'm going to start, already found both trucks, thank you CARB for retiring perfectly good trucks in Ca so I can use them to start my business in AZ (idiots), went and looked at houses, found 2 different brand new house never lived in on 2 acre lots for $350 that we absolutely love, my friends wife is now our realtor, We called our Awesome neighbors back home to break the sad news we had fallen in love with Prescott and that we were going to be moving, neighbors called us back an hour later told us not to list our house because his mom is going to move to Ca from Minnesota and that she's going to buy our house....... WTF!!!!! How in the hell does this all fall into place like this. Damn i feel blessed today.

Congratz! The wife and I toured a few cities in AZ about a year and a half ago. Prescott was one of them. We liked it alot, but we LOVED (and bought a house in) Payson. Our "plan" has us relocating in less than 5 years. The job market is far better in Prescott, though. Also, Ruger has a major manufacturing facility in Prescott. Just another job option.....

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score

That's awesome!

jet496

Reaction score

You might want to think about renting to your neighbors mom, or whoever, instead of selling just in case you want to come back. I've seen more people than I can count who moved out & ended up returning for one reason or another. Just a thought.

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
You might want to think about renting to your neighbors mom, or whoever, instead of selling just in case you want to come back. I've seen more people than I can count who moved out & ended up returning for one reason or another. Just a thought.

You have no idea how much I hate Ca and all the f#%king Liberals who live in run and ruined the state I grew up in. I quit a pretty good job after 9 years because I'm so fed up with the regulations and bureaucracy in that state. The only thing I will ever return to CA for is to visit my parents once or twice a year. You can take that to the bank... I really do appreciate your concern and didn't mean to get off on a tangent that's not what this thread is about. Your right about considering that aspect. Worst case scenario it all went to hell in a hand basket I would move to our river house which is paid for and just go back to driving truck for someone.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
You have no idea how much I hate Ca and all the f#%king Liberals who live in run and ruined the state I grew up in. I quit a pretty good job after 9 years because I'm so fed up with the regulations and bureaucracy in that state. The only thing I will ever return to CA for is to visit my parents once or twice a year. You can take that to the bank... I really do appreciate your concern and didn't mean to get off on a tangent that's not what this thread is about. Your right about considering that aspect. Worst case scenario it all went to hell in a hand basket I would move to our river house which is paid for and just go back to driving truck for someone.

Voodoo man just tried the move to Texas and is back [emoji4]

Beerme

Retired...Time for a cold one!
Reaction score
Good luck in Prescott......Funny you started this thread, one of my best friend's son (we are from so cal) will be going to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Prescott on a wrestling scholarship this next year. I will probably be doing a couple of trips a year out there to visit. Don't know much about the school, other than it is real small.

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
Weather is a big reason people come back. I've had friends move to FL & TX & it's all good in the beginning but sooner or later they seem to always start talking about how "they miss 75-85 & sunny year round & want to move back. Prescott & Sedona are awesome but it gets very cold there in the winter time. I've always thought about living in Havasu, but yesterday it was 30 degrees warmer in havi than in OC & people think it's hot here? I'm just concerned about living in 100-115 temps for 6 months per/year.

I can see how weather can be a big factor. Growing up in Lone Pine I remember the single digit mornings. All I can say is I'm and avid outdoorsman. I have to drive hours from SoCal to go hunting, fishing, motorcycle riding & jeeping. Prescott has all that with in minutes not hours. There's a pretty good chance I can make a living here and be my own boss. I have a 8 month old & 5 year old daughters that I would love to raise in an area like this so I can spend quality outdoor time with them daily and not spend hours in a vehicle getting there on the weekends. I also like having 4 seasons. SoCal is for a lot of people it's just not for me. I came there years ago chasing the almighty dollar. Now at this time in my life priorities have changed and it's more about the quality of life for me and my family.

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
Good luck in Prescott......Funny you started this thread, one of my best friend's son (we are from so cal) will be going to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Prescott on a wrestling scholarship this next year. I will probably be doing a couple of trips a year out there to visit. Don't know much about the school, other than it is real small.

That's awesome. So far everyone we have talked to loves it here says the schools are great and that you couldn't ask for a better place to live and raise a family. What the heck were going to give it a shot.. Lol!

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to have to try this place on my next trip to see the family

It's a legit spot. You have to dodge some hippies but the beer and burgers are good [emoji106]🏻. I like their breakfast too

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
If you haven't eaten I'll treat you to breakfast at the raven!

928-925-3376[/QUOTE

That sounds great. You don't have to treat I got the family with me. What time do you want to meet? I just left you a message on your phone.

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
Acton house & Prescott house started escrow today. Acton house is in a nice area lots of open land and hills around that you cannot hunt or ride motorcycles on only horses. It's 1 & 1/3 acres 2500 sq ft 4bd, 3bath 3 car garage built in 1988. We owe $250k on it and we're selling it for $550k. Prescott house I can ride motorcycles, atvs out of the front gate into the hills. I can walk out my front gate and start hunting. It's 2 acres fully fenced 4bd, 3bath & 4 car garage brand spanking new. We are buying for $350k which will leave us with about a $100k mortgage. Finally after 20 plus years threatening to leave CA it looks like we're getting out of here. So excited my kids will get to be raised in the land of the free like I once did in CA.

ps Tom (Pink Taco) thanks again for breakfast and all your help a few weeks back. I owe you some beers the next time I see you and starting by September 1st you will always have a place to crash when in Prescott or at the river in Willow Valley.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Thats awesome and congrats

Acton house & Prescott house started escrow today. Acton house is in a nice area lots of open land and hills around that you cannot hunt or ride motorcycles on only horses. It's 1 & 1/3 acres 2500 sq ft 4bd, 3bath 3 car garage built in 1988. We owe $250k on it and we're selling it for $550k. Prescott house I can ride motorcycles, atvs out of the front gate into the hills. I can walk out my front gate and start hunting. It's 2 acres fully fenced 4bd, 3bath & 4 car garage brand spanking new. We are buying for $350k which will leave us with about a $100k mortgage. Finally after 20 plus years threatening to leave CA it looks like we're getting out of here. So excited my kids will get to be raised in the land of the free like I once did in CA.

ps Tom (Pink Taco) thanks again for breakfast and all your help a few weeks back. I owe you some beers the next time I see you and starting by September 1st you will always have a place to crash when in Prescott or at the river in Willow Valley.

terrax2

Reaction score

Wow. I'm jealous. I want to do the same. Ironically we just bought a house in Acton. Crown meadows track. Where was yours? My aunt lives in Prescott and have been eyeing that town for years. I can't convince my wife to go to AZ though.

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score

It was my pleasure! Congrats! Where did you guys end up?