WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

DCB M35 Open Bow?

Bleakish Times

Reaction score
Anyone have pics on this build? Would be great to see (and maybe order one if I could see it ~ would be even better if RDP could review it!)...

"DCB also has another M35 in the works with a little different approach. It’s a bowrider with a full walk-through. Powered by twin Mercury Racing 565s, the boat has a top speed around 95 mph."

http://www.boatingmag.com/dcb-performance-boats?cmpid=enewsh62715&spPodID=030&spMailingID=22928888&spUserID=NTk4NzY4MjE0ODAS1&spJobID=582580334&spReportId=NTgyNTgwMzM0S0

McKay

Reaction score
Question on the interiors of some of these boats. Looks like they are using Black Alcantara. Where do these people boat that this is comfortable? They look incredible but it can't be practical can it?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
DCB makes a convertible open bow that is really cool.

They made one and from what I heard it was kind of a pain in the ass so they said they didn't want to do it again..

Eliminator did a few of them as well.

RD

Singleton

Reaction score
They made one and from what I heard it was kind of a pain in the ass so they said they didn't want to do it again..

RD

It was the blue and silver M31, that had Ilmor engines and drives. The eliminator was the DSO sunwear boat.

Gelcoater

Reaction score

RD

It was the blue and silver M31, that had Ilmor engines and drives. The eliminator was the OSO sunwear boat.

Yep,the DSO eyewear boat.And Dave is correct,it is a pain in the ass from the builders standpoint.

85RiverRAT

Working my way up!
Reaction score
Looks like a traditional DCB open bow, no-split in the deck, or if there is, they haven't cut it yet.

http://dcbperformanceboats.com/lickity-split-m35-out-the-door-third-m41-to-follow/

2015-06-29_16-37-16.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Question on the interiors of some of these boats. Looks like they are using Black Alcantara. Where do these people boat that this is comfortable? They look incredible but it can't be practical can it?

Looks like a traditional DCB open bow, no-split in the deck, or if there is, they haven't cut it yet.

http://dcbperformanceboats.com/lickity-split-m35-out-the-door-third-m41-to-follow/

View attachment 416568

This boat will be a walk through open bow!

RD

shueman

Reaction score

RD

EVERY BOAT here at Eliminator comes out of the mold a "closed" bow ... we just cut 'em open ... :p

Tim Salmon's 33 Daytona conversion:
[video=youtube;c3yjJeQ66VM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3yjJeQ66VM[/video]

Attachments

• Sight_2015_04_21_152112_894.jpg
    Sight_2015_04_21_152112_894.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Sight_2015_04_22_084616_016.jpg
    Sight_2015_04_22_084616_016.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Sight_2015_04_22_091740_589.jpg
    Sight_2015_04_22_091740_589.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Sight_2015_04_30_074455_824.jpg
    Sight_2015_04_30_074455_824.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 38

Boatracer36

Reaction score
EVERY BOAT here at Eliminator comes out of the mold a "closed" bow ... we just cut 'em open ... :p

I would hate to be that guy with the saw :eek

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Tony sent me this picture of it today.. I am interested in seeing it in person at the LA show.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455263166.933675.jpg

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
M35 open bow, oxymoron in my opinion. Likely the guys wife said it was a deal breaker so he caved. Pussy. I closed the bow on my f29 and I told my wife we were doing it (after I night her a pontoon)

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I wouldn't cut the bow open on a cat, especially an M35. But, I'm not going to knock the guys dick in the dirt for it either.

Nice boat and those colors will probably look good on the water.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
There's no question they look better and perform better in their standard form, but we're not all young anymore and a big cat like that is a PITA to get in and out of. I know one of the first Eliminators with the removable cover for the open bow was just converted to a walk though, even the mid cuddy was getting a little tough on some of their friends. I say it's the owners choice.:thumbsup

Reactions: AEA

Englewood

Reaction score
What's the reason for all the hate on an open bow? I personally like to spend time with family and friends and don't want to be limited to 4 seats...A closed bow seems so useless to me.

UHHH SUCKA

Reaction score
It was the blue and silver M31, that had Ilmor engines and drives. The eliminator was the DSO sunwear boat.

My buddy has it on his F32 "Calculated Risk" and he did say it was a bit of a pain to remove it when needed but it looks bitchin though.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
What's the reason for all the hate on an open bow? I personally like to spend time with family and friends and don't want to be limited to 4 seats...A closed bow seems so useless to me.

People are resistant to change I suppose.. I kind of liked it myself. That said the M's don't really start cruising until 90+ so I am wondering a little about the wind tunnel effect on this deal.

milkmoney

Reaction score

There is no hate in my post. Jus giving my opinion is all [emoji202]

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The owner wanted a high performance cat & still have a user friendly boat for friends & family. Easier for docking, trailering etc.... I understand it. I'd like to hear from other M-series owners on what's it's like stepping over the windshield on a closed deck? I know it's not easy. The colors look great. I wish we could see a pic of the side. What will it have for power, RD?

Not sure yet.. I had planned to just check it out at the LA Boatshow..

sirbob

Reaction score
I'd like to hear from other M-series owners on what's it's like stepping over the windshield on a closed deck? I know it's not easy.

The guys I know that have the DCB 35 have a under deck hatch - they don't go over the windshield ...

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

Shueman

This is the boat that had the low-profile flame arrestors on the SCI 700's. Do u have an engine pic or can u ask the owner where he got the flame arrestors? Still can't find what I saw on that motor and it's exactly what we need

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
The owner wanted a high performance cat & still have a user friendly boat for friends & family. Easier for docking, trailering etc.... I understand it. I'd like to hear from other M-series owners on what's it's like stepping over the windshield on a closed deck? I know it's not easy. The colors look great. I wish we could see a pic of the side. What will it have for power, RD?

The guys I know that have the DCB 35 have a under deck hatch - they don't go over the windshield ...

The M series boat is not for toddlers or old men. :D --- Not going to lie to you guys - I have no ladder on my boat so getting in is a tight rope and if you are coming from the bow I find it easier going over the wind shield. Contorting yourself under the bow with the hatch is not for me. Once underway - - priceless. :D Would I ever cut a hole in the bow - nope.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
The M series boat is not for toddlers or old men. :D --- Not going to lie to you guys - I have no ladder on my boat so getting in is a tight rope and if you are coming from the bow I find it easier going over the wind shield. Contorting yourself under the bow with the hatch is not for me. Once underway - - priceless. :D Would I ever cut a hole in the bow - nope.

When you and family are out floating and go in the water, what is it like boarding from the transom, is it stepping on a drive, then the bar, and then pushing up and sitting on the "bustle" or "swimstep" of the M series, or is there a drop down ladder or something?

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
When you and family are out floating and go in the water, what is it like boarding from the transom, is it stepping on a drive, then the bar, and then pushing up and sitting on the "bustle" or "swimstep" of the M series, or is there a drop down ladder or something?

No ladder - some have this rickety thing that pops down - been told half the time they bend and my boys would probably knock their teeth out. :D So the drive tie bar is pretty beefy and placed at the right set back so you can naturally step onto the upper deck notch (with a handle). Trick is stepping direct on the bar - have had to catch a guest doing a cleaver right slide... :D -- Good times. :thumbsup

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
No ladder - some have this rickety thing that pops down - been told half the time they bend and my boys would probably knock their teeth out. :D So the drive tie bar is pretty beefy and placed at the right set back so you can naturally step onto the upper deck notch (with a handle). Trick is stepping direct on the bar - have had to catch a guest doing a cleaver right slide... :D -- Good times. :thumbsup

Understood, that's exactly how I pictured me and murphys law making an attempt avoiding the cleavers :thumbsup

TOBTEK

Reaction score
M35 open bow, oxymoron in my opinion. Likely the guys wife said it was a deal breaker so he caved. Pussy. I closed the bow on my f29 and I told my wife we were doing it (after I night her a pontoon)

LOL..... that's the ONLY reason our F26 was a open bow. Was a compromise with the spousal unit. Since I've adopted the catch phrase.... " Its better to ask for Forgiveness then permission"

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

I don't think it's hate, it's like having a 4 door vette or Ferrari.

Like I said in my previous post. It wouldn't be my choice to cut a hole and add weight up front but I can appreciate someone else spending money as they see fit.

It's still a beautiful boat. Just gets the purists a little ruffled lol.

TOBTEK

Reaction score
I don't think it's hate, it's like having a 4 door vette or Ferrari.

Like I said in my previous post. It wouldn't be my choice to cut a whole and add weight up front but I can appreciate someone else spending money as they see fit.

It's still a beautiful boat. Just gets the purists a little ruffled lol.

AND completely changes the designed balance of the boat, AND completely changes the aerodynamics of the boat. TRUST ME I made the mistake of building a walk threw open bow F26 years ago. We never could get the thing to work correctly. We tried just about every prop made at the time.
I came to the conclusion...... IF you want a High Performance boat, buy one. If you want something family friendly that will hold a bunch of people, and is EZ to get on and off. Go buy a Toon or other Rec boat.

Hats off to ANYONE that can pay the price tag on a new M series. Boils down to, If the client wants it, DCB is going to build it. Nothing wrong with that. Id think it will make the re-sale a VERY SMALL market as well.

TCHB

Reaction score
AND completely changes the designed balance of the boat, AND completely changes the aerodynamics of the boat. TRUST ME I made the mistake of building a walk threw open bow F26 years ago. We never could get the thing to work correctly. We tried just about every prop made at the time.
I came to the conclusion...... IF you want a High Performance boat, buy one. If you want something family friendly that will hold a bunch of people, and is EZ to get on and off. Go buy a Toon or other Rec boat.

Hats off to ANYONE that can pay the price tag on a new M series. Boils down to, If the client wants it, DCB is going to build it. Nothing wrong with that. Id think it will make the re-sale a VERY SMALL market as well.

I have been in 4 DCBs now and each time the driver can not stay below 75MPH. The boat just feels better the faster you go. The open would only be good for getting on and off the boat.

YOLO

Reaction score
I happen to have a little insight to a couple of questions in this thread.

Alcantara:
I've got the black in my boat and it is shocking at how comfortable it is in the heat. Much more comfortable to sit in than any of the vinyl covered boats I've had. What is obnoxiously hot is the black carpet, so there is a solution for that being formed and it might involve alcantara!

Getting to the front of the M boats:
You need to have some athletic ability! I've tried both ways, over the windshield and through the hatch. Over the windshield is much easier once you get a system down.

Turning them:
They turn much better once you get them up around 80 mph. The hull really starts to work well. They really don't take that much effort to turn between 80-120 and that's why most people drive them around at that speed. That's their happy place.

If my memory serves me right I think Tony told me the open bow 35 would have 565's in it. I see Whipple Kits in its future!

John

Reactions: SJP

TOBTEK

Reaction score
I happen to have a little insight to a couple of questions in this thread.

Alcantara:
I've got the black in my boat and it is shocking at how comfortable it is in the heat. Much more comfortable to sit in than any of the vinyl covered boats I've had. What is obnoxiously hot is the black carpet, so there is a solution for that being formed and it might involve alcantara!

Getting to the front of the M boats:
You need to have some athletic ability! I've tried both ways, over the windshield and through the hatch. Over the windshield is much easier once you get a system down.

Turning them:
They turn much better once you get them up around 80 mph. The hull really starts to work well. They really don't take that much effort to turn between 80-120 and that's why most people drive them around at that speed. That's their happy place.

If my memory serves me right I think Tony told me the open bow 35 would have 565's in it. I see Whipple Kits in its future!

John

HUGE fan of your boat ! Lucky man you are...

drejustice

Reaction score
I disagree..our F30 runs just fine as a openbow walkthru. 45mph and up it handles great. Below 45...maybe a slight outward lean on turns..

FreeBird236

Reaction score
177236 freebird mojave rock.jpg
I have been in 4 DCBs now and each time the driver can not stay below 75MPH. The boat just feels better the faster you go. The open would only be good for getting on and off the boat.

Our boat is certainly not in this league, but I rarely have anyone in the front, it's for loading and unloading when I beach it.;)

Warlock1

Reaction score

Hey boss I would really like to talk to you about what you had with the walk thru. Just kicking some ideas around in my head.

Warlock1

Reaction score
Tony sent me this picture of it today.. I am interested in seeing it in person at the LA show.

View attachment 465931

That is simply gorgeous. I wonder how the alcantara wears with sweat, sun, lotion, etc? I love the look and if it feels comfy I'd do it.

As far as the open bow part for me it's a no brainer. I want to be able to get around my boat with ease and use all of it. Easier to dock, easier to tie up etc. I never have more than 4 people in our boat and wont put someone in the front while driving. It gives the wife and her friends a comfy place to collect the suns rays :thumbsup so I really good with that. Of cours I am also the guy that looks at poker run style boats and ask myself "self, how in the world to people get into and out of the boat from the water?"

Reactions: AEA