WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Gonna try Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles tomorrow

j-bone

Reaction score
We are starting a road trip tomorrow that will start off with lunch at Roscoe's in Hollywood, then to the strip to see all the weird people. We will make our up to the Hearst Castle, then to Frisco.

I'm really the most excited about Roscoe's. Never eaten there before but I love fried chicken.

I'm looking for restaurants we can eat at on the trip. I'll have 4 teens, so nothing fancy. Just good food. On the way to the Hearst Castle, we will eating fish and chips at Giovanni's in Morro Bay. We will also be in Santa Maria, Paso Robles, San Mateo, and San Francisco.

Looking for the Diners, Drive-in, and Dives kind of places.

J

sixdays

La Flama Blanca
Reaction score
I'm pretty neutral with fried chicken, but I was not impressed with the Hollywood Roscoes. But then again, that impression was not shared by my wife or our friends, so that made me the minority in more than one way...:yikes

Get415

Reaction score
Roscoes is pretty good but if your ever in La Habra you have to try Mrs B's. The BEST southern food and the chicken and waffles is just nuts. Closest thing to Louisiana cooking as you can get

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I will be in Santa Cruz this week if you are coming through there.

BeerMaker

"B" Team Token Black Guy
Reaction score
Roscoes is pretty darn good. If you pass through Pismo beach there is a place with flipping fantastic clan chowder. Forgot the name but I sure a quick Google search will suffice.

fmo24

Reaction score
Roscoe's downtown Long Beach was our go to after the bars. 4 wings and a waffle.

Rsqfxr

Reaction score
Roscoes is pretty good but if your ever in La Habra you have to try Mrs B's. The BEST southern food and the chicken and waffles is just nuts. Closest thing to Louisiana cooking as you can get

Im very familiar with roscoes on manchester gonna have to check out this mrs B's

Meaney77

Reaction score
Roscoes is pretty darn good. If you pass through Pismo beach there is a place with flipping fantastic clan chowder. Forgot the name but I sure a quick Google search will suffice.

Splash Cafe, we always stop when we are up there its worth the trip!

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
McClintocks in San Luis Obispo.

If you venture up to the Big Sur area go to Nepanthe grab a burger and a beer and sit outside with a view of the pines and the ocean.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
If you happen to be close to San Luis Obispo on a Thursday evening swing by Higuera street in down town San Luis Obispo. They block off the streets for a Farmers Market. Tons of great food. Firestone Grill has world famous tri tip sandwiches. Plus TONS of college women walking around.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I have worked in La Habra for many years. Where is Mrs. B's. ?

Get415

Reaction score
It's on Harbor and imperial. It's behind a Del Taco or some fast food spot

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
McClintocks in San Luis Obispo.

I have been there many times. The last time I was there I got ribs. I ate 2 ribs and noticed they smelled like rotting carcass on the side of the road (seriously smelled like fouled meat). I told the waiter, who brought the Manager out. They wouldn't take the amount of the bill (keep In mind I ate 2 ribs out of a whole rack). They offered me a free desert. I got agitated after that. I doubt I will ever go back there again

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I have been there many times. The last time I was there I got ribs. I ate 2 ribs and noticed they smelled like rotting carcass on the side of the road (seriously smelled like fouled meat). I told the waiter, who brought the Manager out. They wouldn't take the amount of the bill (keep In mind I ate 2 ribs out of a whole rack). They offered me a free desert. I got agitated after that. I doubt I will ever go back there again

Then things have changed since I was there 25 years ago. If they suck I take my recommendation back.
If you're in San Luis stay away from McClintocks. Don't want to chance it.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Then things have changed since I was there 25 years ago. If they suck I take my recommendation back.
If you're in San Luis stay away from McClintocks. Don't want to chance it.
They have great food. I have had many great meals there. I was with a large party and everyone loved their meals. I was just pissed that the Fuckstick didn't want to remove it from I our meal. He offered to give me some thing else, but after I realized it was my ribs that smelled like following a truck headed to the rendering plant, I has lost my appetite.

Tank

Reaction score
Jockos BBQ in Santa Maria is CRAAAAAAAZY good BBQ. filet that is as big as a large mans fist and you can eat with a butter knife. Whole or half chickens. All cooked on the spot on open flame BBQ. Place is a sleeper and has been there forever. Surreal place. Old, dingy and rinds me of a cafeteria almost. Line out the door usually.
Kinda cool history too. It's about a mile off the 101.

http://www.jockosmix.com/jockos-history/

Some breakfast / lunch places I'd suggest on your way is mrs olsens coffee hut - 40' from the sand. Food is killer and portions are large. In Oxnard in the harbor. Juevos rancheros, club sandwich Monte cristo and Santa fe potatoes are some of my favorites.

And Pete's breakfast house in Ventura. (Which was on diners drive ins and dives). Again, killer foodie os rancheros are good, the Greek scramble and the yogurt pancake roll are all bomb.

Shoreline beach cafe in Santa Barbra where you can actually sit on the beach and enjoy your food. It's also a pretty nice area for scenery and I don't mean just the nature.

You could also do yourself a favor and stop at Spenser Mackenzie's fish in Ventura. Insane fish tacos, shrimp burritos, ceviche and ahi pockets.

You visit any of the places I mention, you will absolutely not be disappointed.

Have fun. Take pics!

Meaney77

Reaction score
Some breakfast / lunch places I'd suggest on your way is mrs olsens coffee hut - 40' from the sand. Food is killer and portions are large. In Oxnard in the harbor. Juevos rancheros, club sandwich Monte cristo and Santa fe potatoes are some of my favorites.

Used to go there every weekend but haven been there in a few years. Food and mimosas were always great and cool being able to walk right out onto the beach after breakfast. Also kinda cool to walk over to Mandalay and continue drinking/ Sunday Funday. Nowadays we only seem to head to the Waypoint, food and service is always great!- Also worth a stop on your travels up north.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
When you are in San Francisco, go to Lower Haight. 547 Haight Street, San Francisco, CA. is the location of Toronado which is an AWESOME craft beer bar. Next door to Toronado is Rosamude Sausage Grille........it is ridiculous....nuff said and Toronado will let you bring the food from Rosamunde into the bar to eat.

You can also try Millers East Coast Deli on Polk Street (was actually on DDD)........it is pretty ridiculous to.

Sounds like a bitchin trip, I am jealous!

Tank

Reaction score
Used to go there every weekend but haven been there in a few years. Food and mimosas were always great and cool being able to walk right out onto the beach after breakfast. Also kinda cool to walk over to Mandalay and continue drinking/ Sunday Funday. Nowadays we only seem to head to the Waypoint, food and service is always great!- Also worth a stop on your travels up north.

Good call!! Waypoint is bomb!!!

j-bone

Reaction score
Jockos BBQ in Santa Maria is CRAAAAAAAZY good BBQ. filet that is as big as a large mans fist and you can eat with a butter knife. Whole or half chickens. All cooked on the spot on open flame BBQ. Place is a sleeper and has been there forever. Surreal place. Old, dingy and rinds me of a cafeteria almost. Line out the door usually.
Kinda cool history too. It's about a mile off the 101.

http://www.jockosmix.com/jockos-history/

And Pete's breakfast house in Ventura. (Which was on diners drive ins and dives). Again, killer foodie os rancheros are good, the Greek scramble and the yogurt pancake roll are all bomb.

Shoreline beach cafe in Santa Barbra where you can actually sit on the beach and enjoy your food. It's also a pretty nice area for scenery and I don't mean just the nature.

You could also do yourself a favor and stop at Spenser Mackenzie's fish in Ventura. Insane fish tacos, shrimp burritos, ceviche and ahi pockets.

You visit any of the places I mention, you will absolutely not be disappointed.

Have fun. Take pics!

Damn, I read your post too late. We were looking for a place to eat in Santa Maria but it was already late and we were hungry. Would have loved to try the bbq place..

j-bone

Reaction score
When you are in San Francisco, go to Lower Haight. 547 Haight Street, San Francisco, CA. is the location of Toronado which is an AWESOME craft beer bar. Next door to Toronado is Rosamude Sausage Grille........it is ridiculous....nuff said and Toronado will let you bring the food from Rosamunde into the bar to eat.

You can also try Millers East Coast Deli on Polk Street (was actually on DDD)........it is pretty ridiculous to.

Sounds like a bitchin trip, I am jealous!

Will keep these places in mind. Thanks for the input.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
I've never spent time in LA, but when I do a must for me will be Phillipe the Original, the inventor of the French Dip.

Watched Emeril enjoy it and they look like the best.:thumbsup:thumbsup

Hopefully you CA folks can tell me if they're for real......

1001 N Alameda St, Los Angeles, CA 90012

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I've never spent time in LA, but when I do a must for me will be Phillipe the Original, the inventor of the French Dip.

Watched Emeril enjoy it and they look like the best.:thumbsup:thumbsup

Hopefully you CA folks can tell me if they're for real......

1001 N Alameda St, Los Angeles, CA 90012

It's the real deal. We take the train into downtown and hit up Phillipe's a couple times a year.

Sawdust on the floor, pickled eggs, French Dips, etc...

My Grandparents actually met each other there way back in the day on there way to the boxing matches at the Olympic Auditorium. It's a tradition with our family to hit up Phillipe's.

Always a good day to hit up Phillipe's and then walk across the street to Olvera St.

I've seen a ton of celebrities over the years in that square block area. Surprising because it's pretty much a shit hole and very much how you would picture downtown LA.

Oso Viejo

Reaction score
It's the real deal. We take the train into downtown and hit up Phillipe's a couple times a year.

Sawdust on the floor, pickled eggs, French Dips, etc...

My Grandparents actually met each other there way back in the day on there way to the boxing matches at the Olympic Auditorium. It's a tradition with our family to hit up Phillipe's.

Always a good day to hit up Phillipe's and then walk across the street to Olvera St.

I've seen a ton of celebrities over the years in that square block area. Surprising because it's pretty much a shit hole and very much how you would picture downtown LA.

All true and the best thing about taking the train in is you can walk over.

IMO there are only two must eat places in LA: Langers and Philipe. I could alternate between the Pastrami and Lamb Dip until my arteries plaqued solid.:D

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Funny because Cole's also claims to have invented the first French dip.

They're down the street and there's a quite a rivalry between the two places. Not to the extent of "best cheesesteak sammies" in Philly - but a rivalry nonetheless.

Both are great...Cole's has a full bar though :)

Tank

Reaction score
Damn, I read your post too late. We were looking for a place to eat in Santa Maria but it was already late and we were hungry. Would have loved to try the bbq place..

It's worth another drive sometime! ;)

Seriously.