WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pretty excited about this build.. 28 Ultra twin LS's

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I am a firm believer that LS power is the way of the future for the small and mid sized performance boat market..

This is a sneak peek at one d their 28 decks that will be receiving twin LS's for power.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435678668.611785.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435678685.227086.jpg

It should also be noted that Rusty's trailer company "All In Custom Trailers" is completely up and running now! They built the trailer under the boat.

spectras only

Reaction score
Nice setup there.:thumbup: I like the twin sbc's in my small boat.

JBS

Reaction score
Looks very nice. Keep us posted

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
A friend and I were having a lengthy conversation about the LS has made the small block obsolete. Big block won't go anywhere, but it does have some competition. I agree that LS is the future. It's really taken off in classic cars and off-roading. I wonder when performance marine companies will start to offer more off the shelf parts/accessories for LS engines. Like Oil Pans, thermo housing, exhaust and etc.

RD,

How about some more pictures of this boat?

Very unique drive guard. I like it.

Englewood

Reaction score

Runs2rch

Reaction score
They make more on the Merc package. It's all about offering what you make the most on. Only when people come in and know exactly what they want does it get built that way.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Why are the builders not pushing these types of engines now? A lot cheaper than the Merc 520 but with more power?!?!
View attachment 416692

The pricing is without drive but you are correct. I think we'll see a jump in the LS based builds but right now Merc owns the market. If something breaks while your in Havasu there is a Merc tech and/or parts on every corner.

Merc has achieved what DeBeers has accomplished with the diamond lol. Their marketing is phenomenal but they've also backed it up with quality and service.

They make more on the Merc package. It's all about offering what you make the most on. Only when people come in and know exactly what they want does it get built that way.

Agreed. I've researched these motors for a long time. When Nordic built that 24' with a jet using the Cadillac LSA motor I was very curious at what the performance would be. It's a big boat for a jet. A jet also responds well to horsepower/weight ratios. It was a big gamble but the performance was pretty impressive. I was sold on the package. Even more so with a bravo behind the LS.

I'll see if I can find the link....

EDIT: here is the link

http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?125786-Nordic-s-new-jet-boat

72mph in this big of a boat with a jet is respectable in an LS platform. I'd assume that number would be much more stout in a prop boat.

tkrrox

Reaction score
I would be curious about the longevity. The constant load is a motor killer. I know on rails and cars they have great outcome but they aren't under load at all times.

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Having nothing to do with the Ultra, but I have always figured if I won the lottery I'd built a light layup 22.4 Stoker with a 1000 or so HP TT LSX and a Blackhawk or #6 hanging off the back.
The LS based engines definitely have a place in the marine industry with them pushing well into the 500+ CI arena.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I would be curious about the longevity. The constant load is a motor killer. I know on rails and cars they have great outcome but they aren't under load at all times.

They have deep skirt 6-bolt mains, 6.098" rods, priority main oiling...they are one tough motor in stock form as is. Hard to kill them, unless you detonate them to death or run them out of oil they are very stout.

prosthogod

Reaction score
That is a great build and a beautiful boat EXCEPT, the color. I have boated my entire life on the river and havasu and last I remember it gets fucking hot outside. Any color other than white gets really fuckin hot to the touch, where you can actually get burned. There are a lot of colorful boats out there that really cool, but aren't. My current boat has some maroon in the stepping area and I hate it because it will burn you. My .02

530RL

Reaction score
Think of the LT1 and LT4 crate motors converted for marine use. :thumbsup

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
They have deep skirt 6-bolt mains, 6.098" rods, priority main oiling...they are one tough motor in stock form as is. Hard to kill them, unless you detonate them to death or run them out of oil they are very stout.

Yep and let's not forget that sand cars do in fact take a lot of abuse. I'm not sure what he meant by that.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Yep and let's not forget that sand cars do in fact take a lot of abuse. I'm not sure what he meant by that.

Sandcars live in the harshest environment there is. They eat sand/dirt all day long.

I wouldn't be afraid with dependability. Hell, they say 300 hours and it's time to look at the top end of blue motors. I'd take my chances.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I am a firm believer that LS power is the way of the future for the small and mid sized performance boat market..

This is a sneak peek at one d their 28 decks that will be receiving twin LS's for power.

View attachment 416652

View attachment 416653

It should also be noted that Rusty's trailer company "All In Custom Trailers" is completely up and running now! They built the trailer under the boat.
Who is building the power?

jesco

Reaction score
I have a Marine Power LSA motor in my new 22 Shockwave deck. When Bob told me that this was his new motor of choice for jet boats I thought he was CRAZY!!! He took me and my buddy for a test ride and we were sold instantly. Bob told me that it only makes sense right now in a jet because with stern drive you wont beat Merc pricing and warranty on a complete package. My guess, this boat tuned and prop'ed properly is going to scream and be a lot friendlier on fuel then a comparable speed big block. My new boat goes 20+ MPH faster then my old boat (21 skier with jet and 454 mag) and gets way better fuel consumption. 550HP and the motor weighs under 500LBS, power to weight is insane.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I have a Marine Power LSA motor in my new 22 Shockwave deck. When Bob told me that this was his new motor of choice for jet boats I thought he was CRAZY!!! He took me and my buddy for a test ride and we were sold instantly. Bob told me that it only makes sense right now in a jet because with stern drive you wont beat Merc pricing and warranty on a complete package. My guess, this boat tuned and prop'ed properly is going to scream and be a lot friendlier on fuel then a comparable speed big block. My new boat goes 20+ MPH faster then my old boat (21 skier with jet and 454 mag) and gets way better fuel consumption. 550HP and the motor weighs under 500LBS, power to weight is insane.

What speeds are you seeing in that package?

jesco

Reaction score
What speeds are you seeing in that package?

In the good water best i have seen is 72, my buddy with the same set up saw 74 just past the Sand Bar with 5 BIG guys and 2 FULL ice chest in his boat. Mine kept hitting the ref limiter, Marine Power has it set at 5800 I think. It still wanted to go, just kept cutting out so I backed off. Runs REALLY good, that 22 deck is a HEAVY boat, it gets up on plain quick and gets to low 60s way quicker then my 21 skier got to 50.... Im really happy with it so far.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
In the good water best i have seen is 72, my buddy with the same set up saw 74 just past the Sand Bar with 5 BIG guys and 2 FULL ice chest in his boat. Mine kept hitting the ref limiter, Marine Power has it set at 5800 I think. It still wanted to go, just kept cutting out so I backed off. Runs REALLY good, that 22 deck is a HEAVY boat, it gets up on plain quick and gets to low 60s way quicker then my 21 skier got to 50.... Im really happy with it so far.

That's good to hear. We haven't decided if we're going to jump ship from the lower river or not.

If we stay on the lower side we're leaning towards the shockwave deck LSA/jet combo.

Those are quality numbers in that package. Do you have a build thread or pics?

jesco

Reaction score
That's good to hear. We haven't decided if we're going to jump ship from the lower river or not.

If we stay on the lower side we're leaning towards the shockwave deck LSA/jet combo.

Those are quality numbers in that package. Do you have a build thread or pics?

I have a few build pics but never did a build thread. Im a lower river guy (Blythe), we just rented a house in Havi last weekend with friends, it was fun but I like our place better, more laid back and mellow. didn't help that we witnessed a 54 yr old man drown on Friday right outside of Thompson Bay..... Put a little cloud over the rest of the weekend

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I have a few build pics but never did a build thread. Im a lower river guy (Blythe), we just rented a house in Havi last weekend with friends, it was fun but I like our place better, more laid back and mellow. didn't help that we witnessed a 54 yr old man drown on Friday right outside of Thompson Bay..... Put a little cloud over the rest of the weekend

Sent you a PM

Bummer to hear about the drowning. Definitely a mood killer. RIP

Sbarry

Reaction score

I wasn't positive since we weren't on your turf, but I thought I saw you when we were pulling in/ out of Pirates. Never found a spot to park, so we found a beach a little up river to ourselves [emoji41] If it was you, sled looked great on the water [emoji106]🏼

jesco

Reaction score
I wasn't positive since we weren't on your turf, but I thought I saw you when we were pulling in/ out of Pirates. Never found a spot to park, so we found a beach a little up river to ourselves [emoji41] If it was you, sled looked great on the water [emoji106]

Funny you say that, my buddy pointed you out in the channel and said "hey isn't that the boat Bob was finishing up same time as yours". Hahaha, must have been you, I wasn't sure so I didn't want to throw a beer at you. Your boat looks AWESOME on the water, I'm sure you guys are loving it.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Who is building the power?

Just stopped by Ultra to check out my car hauler and Tom is picking out which paddle board he is going to buy.

The motors are being built by a friend of the customer. The motor builder is 505 somethjng? Rusty just told me and I can't remember. They do a lot of offroad LS's..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435778953.519763.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435778991.489827.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435779010.587813.jpg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Just stopped by Ultra to check out my car hauler and Tom is picking out which paddle board he is going to buy.

The motors are being built by a friend of the customer. The motor builder is 505 somethjng? Rusty just told me and I can't remember. They do a lot of offroad LS's..

Well that clears it up. :p

That trailer is a trip...

Why does the boat sit so high? There must be a reason for that??

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Well there's basically two kinds of trailers out there.. Ones where boats sit in between the fenders and lower, and ones where they sit on top of the fenders. This boat is wide enough I'm not sure the trailer would be legal if they set it in between the fenders. The boat sits about 2 inches off the top of the fender tops which is about standard (IMO) for this style of trailer, and it does make wiping the boat down a lot easier.

Does it look weird to you or something? I thought the trailer package came out pretty awesome myself?

RD

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Well there's basically two kinds of trailers out there.. Ones where boats sit in between the fenders and lower, and ones where they sit on top of the fenders. This boat is wide enough I'm not sure the trailer would be legal if they set it in between the fenders. The boat sits about 2 inches off the top of the fender tops which is about standard (IMO) for this style of trailer, and it does make wiping the boat down a lot easier.

Does it look weird to you or something? I thought the trailer package came out pretty awesome myself?

RD
Nice trailer, but from the pics, it looks like they're more than 2" above the fenders.
From the rear, it appears a couple bunks are missing.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I think you are seeing through the gap and it's making it look bigger then it is. I will take some better pics next time I'm down there.

I didn't notice those last stand offs when I was there.. Not sure what that's all about?

playdeep

Reaction score
I really like the lines on that boat...look forward to seeing the finished product.
Question,
What ever happened to 'Dano' the guy that started Barracuda?
I can remember way back in the day, when he was at Eliminator & then Force offshore...

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Is this model only available in a deck? Or is a closed bow cat option also available?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

RD

From the pics, it looks like the boat could be about a foot lower, but you've seen it in person, so you know. It LOOKS like your gonna need a truck with about a 12" lift kit on it to launch it!!! :yikes

Then again, it could just be the look of the pics.