WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What A Mess ~ Beachcomber

Andy01

Reaction score
Boy that is a bad deal for a lot of people. Can't help see greed, I can understand the new owner needing to recoup his 38 million but seems they are going about it all wrong.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
For 38 million, I wonder if Beach Combers destiny is to remain a RV park?

Taboma

Reaction score
Been there over 20 years now, feel bad for the folks on the Mobile Home side who have lost amenity access. Feel really bad for the folks who apparently unknowingly expanded over the property line. Feel bad for those of us on the lease side who have at least for now lost a shit ton of equity and are paying double rent.

Now for the good news, the office staff working for Sam's have been at least recently very good to deal with and much more responsive to our needs than in the past. I'm actually communicating directly and in person with the office staff, which I never did in the past due to the staff attitudes. For 20 years that's been my wife's job.

Wanted to do some items to my unit, approached the manager Jeff and zero problems getting an approval. I can't say that for the past, without running the attitude gauntlet.

They are working with those of us who have stayed in regards to allowing short term rentals that were never previously allowed. I'm not saying I like that as it brings in more "Who gives a shit" transients, but I get the necessity in some cases.

Here's the really great news. We were there for a week in early June, with the mobile side fenced off we had the place to ourselves. Yes, it was eerie driving around in our golf cart and finding the place so vacant, it was awesome. I didn't mind not dodging 10 year olds driving golf carts or listening to the shitty stereos blasting from other golf carts. It was probably the best week we've ever spent there in early June, I almost felt guilty deriving so much pleasure from the misery of others ---- ALMOST :D

Another interesting observation, the few people we did run into, the few who stuck it out, seem to be good folks, almost like there's more of a comradery than I've noticed in the past. It seems like a lot of assholes are gone, that's awesome. :thumbsup

Where it goes from here is anybody's guess, but we're not leaving, unless of course the assholes all come back :grumble: :D

Enen

Reaction score
If I were original beachcomber I would charge Sam's 2x launch ramp access fees for sewer use.

checkrd past

Reaction score
For the life of me , i never understood wanting to buy into a moblehome park

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
What a bummer for those affected. I guess that's why you just don't lease land long term. Too much uncertainty. I know of several people that moved from south of the Parker Dam to Havasu, BHC and Mohave Valley in order to be on deeded land.

Taboma

Reaction score
OH, forgot to add

During our last visit I heard in the office that Sam's had gotten approval to build three 3 story condo buildings where the storage lot currently is. That is also lease land, I have not heard how they'll be sold and or rented.

Also in the last news letter Sam's is supposed to begin immediately remodeling the clubhouse, not that I personally care, as we've never even stepped through the door of the place.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
Taboma, trying to do some math...how many spaces remain after the split and what's the monthly rent? I know a good amount of the park is daily and weekly space rental.

Taboma

Reaction score

Every been to Lake Havasu ??

Ever seen a home on the water (On Lake Havasu) ?

Some of us enjoy walking off our deck down to the bay and going for a swim or a boat ride.

Some of us enjoy sitting on our decks, under the shade of our awnings enjoying the view of all the lake activities, up close, really close.

We owned a house in town, my wife couldn't take the sun from being on the water all day. We got tired of launching the boat or jet skis daily, only to return in the afternoon and sit in a house or bake in the backyard.

We looked for two years to find the site on the water we wanted, happened to be riding by in the boat when the previous owner hung the sign over the railing, we pulled in and bought it, right then. And not once in 20 years have we regretted it, nor do we now despite all the Patel bullshit. For many years we've turned down offers of easily double and triple of what we paid. We didn't buy the place out of motivation to make money, we bought to enjoy. If I lost every penny of our initial investment I will have lost far less than most of you will have on your boats, trucks and other toys. Of course since I don't own a Schiada, I too will lose money on our boat :D

So enjoy your home(s), why we enjoy our place on the water, easily one of the top ten locations to be on the water in Lake Havasu :D

But, in an attempt to answer your question, that's why we did :D

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
OH, forgot to add

During our last visit I heard in the office that Sam's had gotten approval to build three 3 story condo buildings where the storage lot currently is. That is also lease land, I have not heard how they'll be sold and or rented.

Also in the last news letter Sam's is supposed to begin immediately remodeling the clubhouse, not that I personally care, as we've never even stepped through the door of the place.

I would assume that they will be sold and rented the same way land leased condos are done everywhere else. Land leased condos are fairly common throughout Orange County. I think all of Laguna Woods is land leased condos for senior citizens.

It seems to me that the owner must be trying to attract the snowbird crowd with all of these renovations and the removal of some of it's tenants. It could turn out pretty cool if the owners don't get all Nazi Germany like the Islander has in the past year after hiring Bart, the guy who was pretty much forced out of his city job.

TCHB

Reaction score
We were in Emerald Cove Mobile home park along the Parker strip for 15 years and had enough with all the BS. We came up to Havasu and bought our own dirt and love it. No more BS with park managers, and all the rest of the crap. My advice is to move out and get your own place if you can.

Taboma

Reaction score
I would assume that they will be sold and rented the same way land leased condos are done everywhere else. Land leased condos are fairly common throughout Orange County. I think all of Laguna Woods is land leased condos for senior citizens.

It seems to me that the owner must be trying to attract the snowbird crowd with all of these renovations and the removal of some of it's tenants. It could turn out pretty cool if the owners don't get all Nazi Germany like the Islander has in the past year after hiring Bart, the guy who was pretty much forced out of his city job.

Even in the past the Snowbirds were a large presence in the park, place has always been packed during the fall, winter and most of spring. I do know all the initial community meetings with the new owner's representatives were packed with snowbirds. You could even go so far as to say they pretty much hogged the meeting space and the floor, to the point it was pissing off unit owners, because these folks had no investment in the place yet were doing all the yapping.

You and I are different generations, I'm guessing my kids are closer to your age and my big party years at the river, then later Havasu, are pretty much old news. We now more enjoy the cooler temps of the fall, winter and spring months and the snowbirds make for good, quiet neighbors.

We looked at the Islander back in the mid-90s prior to purchasing at the BC, problem was, at least at that time, all the Park Models were well off the water and we weren't interested in RVing it.

I hope we don't end up with Gestapo minded security enforcement, but at least enough so that both owners and visitors respect that their are rules and they will be enforced. I used to chuckle when in the past we'd get our monthly news letter admonishing us for certain rule breaking activities and threats of enforcement, but rarely any enforcement because that would require effort and manpower. It's as if the owners and staff felt that chewing us out was going to accomplish anything. To me it's simple, write reasonable rules, then enforce them and enforce them uniformly. But when folks see other folks constantly breaking the rules, they're going to do likewise and then things turn to shit quickly. In a park environment where folks are in close proximity, lack of enforcement creates chaos and soon you've got neighbors punching out neighbors over often silly shit.

I'll share something with you NGE, this is why we bought a park model in the Beachcomber 20 years ago. When I head out onto the deck for my morning cup of coffee ---- this doesn't suck :D

35mm sunrise small.jpg

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Even in the past the Snowbirds were a large presence in the park, place has always been packed during the fall, winter and most of spring. I do know all the initial community meetings with the new owner's representatives were packed with snowbirds. You could even go so far as to say they pretty much hogged the meeting space and the floor, to the point it was pissing off unit owners, because these folks had no investment in the place yet were doing all the yapping.

You and I are different generations, I'm guessing my kids are closer to your age and my big party years at the river, then later Havasu, are pretty much old news. We now more enjoy the cooler temps of the fall, winter and spring months and the snowbirds make for good, quiet neighbors.

We looked at the Islander back in the mid-90s prior to purchasing at the BC, problem was, at least at that time, all the Park Models were well off the water and we weren't interested in RVing it.

I hope we don't end up with Gestapo minded security enforcement, but at least enough so that both owners and visitors respect that their are rules and they will be enforced. I used to chuckle when in the past we'd get our monthly news letter admonishing us for certain rule breaking activities and threats of enforcement, but rarely any enforcement because that would require effort and manpower. It's as if the owners and staff felt that chewing us out was going to accomplish anything. To me it's simple, write reasonable rules, then enforce them and enforce them uniformly. But when folks see other folks constantly breaking the rules, they're going to do likewise and then things turn to shit quickly. In a park environment where folks are in close proximity, lack of enforcement creates chaos and soon you've got neighbors punching out neighbors over often silly shit.

I'll share something with you NGE, this is why we bought a park model in the Beachcomber 20 years ago. When I head out onto the deck for my morning cup of coffee ---- this doesn't suck :D

View attachment 416737

That view doesn't suck. :thumbsup

Snowbirds literally run the Islander from what I've seen. Is it the same at BC?

I've stayed at the Beachcomber a least a dozen times. Great location. There's nothing like being walking distance to the water. I was never a fan of the docks, launch ramp and some of the trashy looking sites. If the new owners intend to improve on those things, I think it would be great. :thumbup:

Walking outside in the am with your cup of coffee and enjoying a lake view is hard to beat, but I don't like being told what do and having little to zero control of the land that my stuff sits on.

Upriver, you can be in river community where you own the land, don't have any rules/security guards to deal with and have full rights to a marina for less than $100 a year.

Attachments

• 10501637_261722187361088_6121198873132972610_n.jpg
    10501637_261722187361088_6121198873132972610_n.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 56

PVHCA

Reaction score

I'll give you my reason. I've owned a condo in Havasu, and a mobile home in by far the nicest park on the river/lake, The Palms River Resort in Needles. I had 100000000% more fun in the mobile home park, the amenities, activities and friendships that I had and made out weighed anything I ever had at the condo. I like the fact of having a vacation place where I don't have to do much maintenance, so the condo and MH were equal, made more money on the condo at the time I sold, had to pay association fees at the condo, rent at the MH park that is somewhat controlled by CA laws. If you own a home you have to pay taxes and more in maintenance, utilities etc etc so IMO it all balances out as far as monthly expenses go. Yes I understand the investment side of owning your own land but for my vacation place that is so secondary I truly never have or will think of it that way. I'm in the market for a place in the Palm Desert/ Rancho Mirage area(for my sunset years) and I won't even consider a home, condo 100% on a golf course, gated and guarded. I want to enjoy myself and make new friends and memories and not be stuck in a typical neighborhood like I am now.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
$38 million is a large nut.
I see him throwing good money after bad, then ending in financial ruin in a few years' time.

Taboma

Reaction score
Taboma, trying to do some math...how many spaces remain after the split and what's the monthly rent? I know a good amount of the park is daily and weekly space rental.

Sorry Stainless, I didn't notice your reply.

Honest truth, I can't tell you how many spaces there were before, never bothered to count :D I can tell you this and this is a rough guesstimate, maybe 15 park models have been pulled out. A shit load are for sale and I know the new owners bought a bunch that are also for sale but are being used as rentals. Some are selling as well. I can say this, the folks right on the water haven't gone anywhere, because we fully realize the value of the location.
I'm not even sure how many if any of the waterfront sites are for sale, I'd assume a couple but don't know. I know one guy is just finishing up the addition of a $ 45,000 block retaining wall to expand his waterfront deck area.

One problem with doing the math, assuming it's in regards to Patel making or losing money, is it's all fluid at this time.

Sorry I don't have any definitive answers for you :D

Taboma

Reaction score
I see him throwing good money after bad, then ending in financial ruin in a few years' time.

From somebody I consider a very reliable source, I've been told that Patel was prepared to bid up to $ 50 Mil and was shocked when Jim Hill (Beachcomber) stopped so soon after $ 30 Mil.

Good investment or bad ?? Guess we'll find out, eventually.

In one of our news letters recently it mentioned them building a gas station, snack bar setup where the park abuts Site Six, I'm curious if that's the one being referred to in the recent city plans for Site Six ?

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

That seems like a crazy lease term?

How are you making money on a lease that is 105k a month? Honestly I have no idea how big his side of the park is but that seems like a crap ton of space rent and storage fees.

I can tell you there is nothing like being in a park right in the water with a private launch ramp. That's why we have our place in Parker. At times it does suck dealing with management and residents and we have seen our space rent more than double in the past 8 years but being a stone throws distance to the water is hard to beat.

Taboma

Reaction score
That view doesn't suck. :thumbsup

Snowbirds literally run the Islander from what I've seen. Is it the same at BC?

I've stayed at the Beachcomber a least a dozen times. Great location. There's nothing like being walking distance to the water. I was never a fan of the docks, launch ramp and some of the trashy looking sites. If the new owners intend to improve on those things, I think it would be great. :thumbup:

Walking outside in the am with your cup of coffee and enjoying a lake view is hard to beat, but I don't like being told what do and having little to zero control of the land that my stuff sits on.

Upriver, you can be in river community where you own the land, don't have any rules/security guards to deal with and have full rights to a marina for less than $100 a year.

If you don't mind sharing, where is this you speak of ?? Trust me, since this whole Beachcomber shit storm started we've been pondering alternatives. We've got a 40 acre ranch in the mountains all prepped for a house, well is in, pad and driveway ready, just need septic installed. BUT, it's not on the shores of Lake Havasu and we'd be hauling a ways to Lake Mead for boating. The offroading is fantastic however :thumbsup

Our other option we've been contemplating is going back to Big Blue. We sold our sportfishing boat in the early 90's and relocated our recreational time to Havasu. We spent last weekend at the San Diego in the water boat show, it's sure tempting. Also an even better way to piss away wheel barrows full of money than we are at the BC :eek

One thing that's a very low priority for us is compromising our recreational pleasures based on what is or isn't the best investment. Not saying we ignore it, but a home in Havasu is way down the list of wants.

Now, if we could get a nice home right on the water as you seem to be implying above and not fret when we're away that we'll return to find it stripped, then I'm listening. In 20 years at the BC I've never had one single issue with security other than to call them to have a truck and trailer towed when some ass clown thought it was OK to park and block my site driveway.

In 20 years I've had one incident at the BC, some shit wad decided it was OK to sit on my deck, I suspect drink a beer or four, and stomp out his butts on my new carpet ----- Gotta love summer people :D

Otherwise nobody has screwed with my shit, ever. Launch ramp works fine for my Cole and jet skis, the exception being mid-winter if they've dropped the lake, so then we go to Site Six.

I'm not cheer leading for the damned place, frankly I hope it stays rather vacant, I mean as long as Patel can afford it :D

Beach Gomer

Reaction score
Just so everyone knows Sammy's paid 30.2 million and the RV park was appraised at 7. I'm on the mobile home side and I've been in the park for 15 years. I'm not mad a Sammy's I'm upset with the manager who's running the Beachcomber. Management had an opportunity to sign a 10 year lease but said that's not what Jim Santiago wanted. They actually had the 10 year lease offered to them 2 times and said no. They thought no one would try and bid on it plus they no back up plan if some one did. What a dumb ass !! So now the BS starts. The Beachcomber still wants us to pay the same amount of rent with no amenities. Who the hell would buy a mobile home in the middle of the desert unless you have lake access. That's the only reason I bought in there. I would personally like to see Sammy's take over the whole park both side.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
If you don't mind sharing, where is this you speak of ?? Trust me, since this whole Beachcomber shit storm started we've been pondering alternatives. We've got a 40 acre ranch in the mountains all prepped for a house, well is in, pad and driveway ready, just need septic installed. BUT, it's not on the shores of Lake Havasu and we'd be hauling a ways to Lake Mead for boating. The offroading is fantastic however :thumbsup

Our other option we've been contemplating is going back to Big Blue. We sold our sportfishing boat in the early 90's and relocated our recreational time to Havasu. We spent last weekend at the San Diego in the water boat show, it's sure tempting. Also an even better way to piss away wheel barrows full of money than we are at the BC :eek

One thing that's a very low priority for us is compromising our recreational pleasures based on what is or isn't the best investment. Not saying we ignore it, but a home in Havasu is way down the list of wants.

Now, if we could get a nice home right on the water as you seem to be implying above and not fret when we're away that we'll return to find it stripped, then I'm listening. In 20 years at the BC I've never had one single issue with security other than to call them to have a truck and trailer towed when some ass clown thought it was OK to park and block my site driveway.

In 20 years I've had one incident at the BC, some shit wad decided it was OK to sit on my deck, I suspect drink a beer or four, and stomp out his butts on my new carpet ----- Gotta love summer people :D

Otherwise nobody has screwed with my shit, ever. Launch ramp works fine for my Cole and jet skis, the exception being mid-winter if they've dropped the lake, so then we go to Site Six.

I'm not cheer leading for the damned place, frankly I hope it stays rather vacant, I mean as long as Patel can afford it :D
Im pretty sure NGE is talking about Willow Valley upriver.

RVRKID

Reaction score

View attachment 416737

With that pic you have to be close to my buddy Byron or the cove over! Great pic!

Rdubz

Parker Thug Life...
Reaction score
Fuck leased land.. This is exactly why I have not, will not ever lease from anyone :thumbsdown

Taboma

Reaction score
Just so everyone knows Sammy's paid 30.2 million and the RV park was appraised at 7. I'm on the mobile home side and I've been in the park for 15 years. I'm not mad a Sammy's I'm upset with the manager who's running the Beachcomber. Management had an opportunity to sign a 10 year lease but said that's not what Jim Santiago wanted. They actually had the 10 year lease offered to them 2 times and said no. They thought no one would try and bid on it plus they no back up plan if some one did. What a dumb ass !! So now the BS starts. The Beachcomber still wants us to pay the same amount of rent with no amenities. Who the hell would buy a mobile home in the middle of the desert unless you have lake access. That's the only reason I bought in there. I would personally like to see Sammy's take over the whole park both side.

I fully agree with everything you've stated and I'm truly sorry for the crap you're having dumped on you on the mobile side. It's obvious and unfortunate that Jim is still running (Or ruining) things from the grave ---- and I mean that as no personal disrespect to him, but it seems Shirley either can't or won't step up and do what's right for her tenants. There's no doubt that Jim's huge ego and arrogance has pretty much put us where we're at, that and of course the personal battle that waged and is continuing to do so between him and his old business partner Patel.

Good luck !! :thumbsup

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
They also own the Island Inn? Ramp access for that facility could improve its customer base as well.

checkrd past

Reaction score
Every been to Lake Havasu ??

Ever seen a home on the water (On Lake Havasu) ?

Some of us enjoy walking off our deck down to the bay and going for a swim or a boat ride.

Some of us enjoy sitting on our decks, under the shade of our awnings enjoying the view of all the lake activities, up close, really close.

We owned a house in town, my wife couldn't take the sun from being on the water all day. We got tired of launching the boat or jet skis daily, only to return in the afternoon and sit in a house or bake in the backyard.

We looked for two years to find the site on the water we wanted, happened to be riding by in the boat when the previous owner hung the sign over the railing, we pulled in and bought it, right then. And not once in 20 years have we regretted it, nor do we now despite all the Patel bullshit. For many years we've turned down offers of easily double and triple of what we paid. We didn't buy the place out of motivation to make money, we bought to enjoy. If I lost every penny of our initial investment I will have lost far less than most of you will have on your boats, trucks and other toys. Of course since I don't own a Schiada, I too will lose money on our boat :D

So enjoy your home(s), why we enjoy our place on the water, easily one of the top ten locations to be on the water in Lake Havasu :D

But, in an attempt to answer your question, that's why we did :D

Than thats the price you pay , Its all good

checkrd past

Reaction score
I'll give you my reason. I've owned a condo in Havasu, and a mobile home in by far the nicest park on the river/lake, The Palms River Resort in Needles. I had 100000000% more fun in the mobile home park, the amenities, activities and friendships that I had and made out weighed anything I ever had at the condo. I like the fact of having a vacation place where I don't have to do much maintenance, so the condo and MH were equal, made more money on the condo at the time I sold, had to pay association fees at the condo, rent at the MH park that is somewhat controlled by CA laws. If you own a home you have to pay taxes and more in maintenance, utilities etc etc so IMO it all balances out as far as monthly expenses go. Yes I understand the investment side of owning your own land but for my vacation place that is so secondary I truly never have or will think of it that way. I'm in the market for a place in the Palm Desert/ Rancho Mirage area(for my sunset years) and I won't even consider a home, condo 100% on a golf course, gated and guarded. I want to enjoy myself and make new friends and memories and not be stuck in a typical neighborhood like I am now.

That being said , Why don t you live in one in cal.

Tank

Reaction score
That sucks.

Fred is the father of my step daughter. He's not to happy with the situation.

TCHB

Reaction score
Fuck leased land.. This is exactly why I have not, will not ever lease from anyone :thumbsdown

I agree and do not like someone else in control of my home/property.

PVHCA

Reaction score
I agree and do not like someone else in control of my home/property.

Go construct something on your property like a bigger garage, oh ya you can't unless the city says it's ok and approves the permits on your property.

Point is we don't and won't ever have full control.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Go construct something on your property like a bigger garage, oh ya you can't unless the city says it's ok and approves the permits on your property.

Ya, Or try not paying your property taxes then see what happens. Free country my ass....

Well, you could do it anyways, it just won't be permitted. Not an issue unless you plan to sell the property to a buyer needing financing before you die. :D

What I see becoming more common are code enforcement violations and pre-sale city inspections. Those cities love racking up violation fees. I've seen them as high as $40k. :rolleyes

Here's a tip: If you have un-permitted additions on your property and live in a city/county that loves code enforcement violations, don't let the Realtor put a sign in the yard. Many cities hit the REO's hard. That's why few of them put up for sale signs on their inventory. The guys in the city drive around in search of for sale signs.

TCHB

Reaction score

When I wanted to build a double rv garage I bought the property next door and put the garage where I wanted it on the lot and the size I wanted.

I had a lot of control including views and privacy.

PVHCA

Reaction score
When I wanted to build a double rv garage I bought the property next door and put the garage where I wanted it on the lot and the size I wanted.

I had a lot of control including views and privacy.

LOL

TCHB

Reaction score
I feel for the people that are going to get hurt. Not fun when they get caught up in this mess.

When I sold my place on the Parker strip the manager said you can not sell it without going through us period. I sold it and walked away with a smile.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I feel for the people that are going to get hurt. Not fun when they get caught up in this mess.

When I sold my place on the Parker strip the manager said you can not sell it without going through us period. I sold it and walked away with a smile.

Yep.. Parks are a whole different mindset..