WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

1960 Biesemeyer SKi Boat - Outboard with Questions, help a lady out ;)

mcentireleslie

Reaction score
I bought this 1960 Rusty Biesemeyer (Phoenix, AZ) ski boat. It had the 1960's trailer that came with it along with a 1965 Evinrude 85 HP motor.
I cannot find any info on this boat, the model name or number?

We tried to get her in the water last year and she stated but then would not start again without starter fluid. I took it to a local boat shop , and they are telling me I need to spend 2000 to get the steering fixed, the carburetor fixed and adjusted and that the boat may need to be sealed? Should I invest more money into this project or sell it.

The interior and fiberglass are in very very good condition.
Not sure what to do here, I am a new boat owner and h leslie1960boat.jpg ave no idea if this is even worth putting more cash into?

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
First off, you need another shop to look at your ride.

The model is/was called a Carribean and several builders copied the style...Rocket, Campbell, Beisemeyer etc.

Never going to be a rocket ship just a nice little family ski boat.

Describe the steering problem and what the shop plans to do to correct it? Post some pictures of the steering (not the steering wheel. the guts behind it and the attachment to the 'Rude.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
Al Zink is in Havasu, and he will the most honest 'expert' around the river on those motors . Call Al's Marine Service, and see if you can get your boat in there . I would make sure the motor is reliable (worth spending $$$ on) and then look over any problems with the hull/rigging . Water leaks and wiring are not problems, wood rot and de-lamination, are . Al's 928-453-0256

mcentireleslie

Reaction score
whlie i am waiting to get details from the shop and prices would it be better to get a smaller motor and have it installed rathat than do carb work etc on this one?
They quoted me about 285 for carb part I think and then labor is around 100 per hour

If I am not really doing anything with this boat but fishing and putting around the lakes here in Colorado this summer, what is a better move for me?

I h ave about 500 -600 to spend, the 2000 they quoted me is just way out of my budget!

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I bought this 1960 Rusty Biesemeyer (Phoenix, AZ) ski boat. It had the 1960's trailer that came with it along with a 1965 Evinrude 85 HP motor.
I cannot find any info on this boat, the model name or number?

We tried to get her in the water last year and she stated but then would not start again without starter fluid. I took it to a local boat shop , and they are telling me I need to spend 2000 to get the steering fixed, the carburetor fixed and adjusted and that the boat may need to be sealed? Should I invest more money into this project or sell it.

The interior and fiberglass are in very very good condition.
Not sure what to do here, I am a new boat owner and h View attachment 416732 ave no idea if this is even worth putting more cash into?

cool boat:thumbsup my very first boat was a 1957 14' Biesemeyer w/ 65 hp merc.... my second was a 58 16'r with a small block

AzGeo

Reaction score
What are the compression numbers ? Does it have spark on all cylinders (4) ? Can they start it up on the choke system, (ether) or is the oil in the carbs too thick ? Does it have fuel leaks around the carbs ? Not running, can you turn the flywheel by hand and shift it F-N-R with your foot on the prop ? You need basic answers to major questions first . It's a 50. to 1 oil mix motor, so if it sat for more than a year the carbs need rebuilding . What about the water pump impeller ? "It's $100 per hour on a $100K boat and it's $100 per hour on a $1000 boat". If you can't do it yourself, it will cost money . If you can install a smaller 4 stroke motor, go for it .

mcentireleslie

Reaction score
What are the compression numbers ? Does it have spark on all cylinders (4) ? Can they start it up on the choke system, (ether) or is the oil in the carbs too thick ? Does it have fuel leaks around the carbs ? Not running, can you turn the flywheel by hand and shift it F-N-R with your foot on the prop ? You need basic answers to major questions first . It's a 50. to 1 oil mix motor, so if it sat for more than a year the carbs need rebuilding . What about the water pump impeller ? "It's $100 per hour on a $100K boat and it's $100 per hour on a $1000 boat". If you can't do it yourself, it will cost money . If you can install a smaller 4 stroke motor, go for it .

I just found out its more like 933.00 total, 283 for parts and 650 for labor
I scanned and attached the quote to this thread, any help would be greatly

i still think i am getting overcharged, but who knows!
PARTS
control cables 70.00
carb kit 85.00
points 22.00
seal kit 36.00
wat pump 32.00
lube 18.00
plugs 20.00

labor to install all of this
controls labor at $100.00 / 1 hour
Carb 1.5hours 150.00
ignition (pointsplugwires, etc) 1.50 hours of labor $150.00
i/u (lower unit) says its a 3 hour ordeal
seal kit
water pump
flush
add lube and spark plugs 3 hours total at 100 per hour $300.00
total labor $650.00

could this all be true ;) thanks for the advice!

Attachments

• Scan0001.pdf
    443.3 KB · Views: 279

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

PARTS
control cables 70.00
carb kit 85.00
points 22.00
seal kit 36.00
wat pump 32.00
lube 18.00
plugs 20.00

Carb 1.5hours 150.00
seal kit
water pump
flush
total labor $650.00

seems fair to me. expensive...yes but not to far outline for marine shop pricing.

AzGeo

Reaction score
BEFORE any repairs are performed, you need to know if the work is worth doing . COMPRESSION TEST, is first on the list . "Seal kit $36.00", sounds like the lower unit was full of water or pressure checked . (good to know) Checking to see if the lower unit "shifts F-N-R" is important, because a 're-seal' won't fix the dog clutch . (gear set/bearings?) The shop may be 'up front' on all this work, but having the tests done FIRST and the results IN WRITING, creates a solid business foundation and promotes a lasting business relationship . "Doing a tune up" will never cure a cylinder with no compression, and IMO an outboard with a distributor is best left to the "DIY hobbist".

Gelcoater

Reaction score

PARTS
control cables 70.00
carb kit 85.00
points 22.00
seal kit 36.00
wat pump 32.00
lube 18.00
plugs 20.00

Carb 1.5hours 150.00
seal kit
water pump
flush
total labor $650.00

prices don't seem out of line for what's quoted.Its the other stuff it probably need not listed you have to worry about.

BEFORE any repairs are performed, you need to know if the work is worth doing . COMPRESSION TEST, is first on the list . "Seal kit $36.00", sounds like the lower unit was full of water or pressure checked . (good to know) Checking to see if the lower unit "shifts F-N-R" is important, because a 're-seal' won't fix the dog clutch . (gear set/bearings?) The shop may be 'up front' on all this work, but having the tests done FIRST and the results IN WRITING, creates a solid business foundation and promotes a lasting business relationship . "Doing a tune up" will never cure a cylinder with no compression, and IMO an outboard with a distributor is best left to the "DIY hobbist".
Az,this is solid advice.The op would be wise to read this again.
In addition to what you say,on something this old with unknown history,shouldn't the entire fuel system be checked and probably gone through?Tank inspection,flush or replaced,along with all lines and a fuel filter I don't see listed in the above quote.
Not to mention checking the tire condition (including spare)and bearings on the trailer,a new fire extinguisher,pfd's,I'm sure I'm missing stuff.

AzGeo

Reaction score
change the O/B motor ? Clean it up and tow it behind one of your Hot Rods ?

Depending on prices, I would go for the V-DRIVE 14'er . Lower the shaft angle, fab up some movable plate hardware, do up the steering, freshen up the motor and add a 7000 RPM flat tappet valve train, and "zing that bitch all day like an angry chain saw" ...... HA HA

You thinking next year's Pirate's Cove get together ?