GM 088 325cc heads
SRP forged Pistons
Crane cam
Crane roller rockers
Crane springs
Dart intake
Holley 800cfm carb

The exhaust and peripherals are all Merc though [emoji13]

Oh, and badly out of round cylinder bores (Merc didn't bother using torque plates) [emoji57]
Oh yea those bores are waaaaay out of round! Then they use those low tension ring packages as well

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
My first choice would be stock factory merc or ilmor power, followed by custom power from a proven marine engine builder such as Pfaff, Teague, or Larry Peto

TLAW719

Reaction score
4v heads allow bigger flow numbers with tamer camshaft profiles and smaller duration numbers. 2 smaller intake valves can flow more than one huge one, especialy at low lift. 4 valves can make better use of the combustion chamber space available. Notice you dont hear those 1350's idling high or loping at all.
But it is way more expensive, and GM has very efficient 2v head designs in the LS and now LT motors that make it unneccesary to do 4v production motors on their V8's
Those Merc QC4V motors are bad ass though for sure....when cost is no object the 4v OHC BBC delivers the goods

Yeah the GM LS engines are definitely bad ass. I agree with everything you say on the 4 valve heads. I messed with them a little back when I had a Mustang cobra. 4 valve DOHC. Modular Mustang Racing had a turboed 5.4L putting out around 2000HP. It was a drag race motor though so I can't and wont speak on reliability.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
My first choice would be stock factory merc or ilmor power, followed by custom power from a proven marine engine builder such as Pfaff, Teague, or Larry Peto

Nailed it.

Ibeplumbing

Reaction score

Totally agree, id go Larry's engines (Peto)

GRADS

Reaction score
You guys are probably right....Mercury sucks, I'd go with a Derebery motor.:thumbup:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Does builder back up work 100%? Or does customer get to pay again?

Any reputable builder would.

Not true.

Sometimes they start to believe that they can do no wrong. NOTHING can possibly be "their fault" because they are legend...it says so right on the Internet.

Now if you are the one in a hundred that has a problem with the builder, and clearly demonstrate what and why that problem is, what do you think your chances of getting it rectified are?

Zero, that is what your chances are.
99 people will line up and rip you apart for daring to cast dispersion on their hero. Never again would I ever pay someone for something that I can do myself with actual attention and care, because when YOU are the one that gets fucked you have no recourse.

Factory, or a REAL custom builder like Teague.
Written warranty and an actual, legible, real dyno sheet.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Not true.

Sometimes they start to believe that they can do no wrong. NOTHING can possibly be "their fault" because they are legend...it says so right on the Internet.

Now if you are the one in a hundred that has a problem with the builder, and clearly demonstrate what and why that problem is, what do you think your chances of getting it rectified are?

Zero, that is what your chances are.
99 people will line up and rip you apart for daring to cast dispersion on their hero. Never again would I ever pay someone for something that I can do myself with actual attention and care, because when YOU are the one that gets fucked you have no recourse.

Factory, or a REAL custom builder like Teague.
Written warranty and an actual, legible, real dyno sheet.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

Personally, I've Never understood the "get on the Internet and bitch about it" mindset. That almost never goes well.

I have a customer right now that is so made at me it's unreal. And honestly, I don't blame him! He has had more than his fair share of problems.

But there is no way in God's green earth I'm gonna let him stay that way. I'm gonna pay for the tow, and pick up his car, and see what is wrong with it tomorrow.

He says it cranks but won't start. Fuel or ignition, right? It's no way the engine build, but I still have to do whatever will make him happy. I will not let him go away mad.

To think you have no recourse is nuts. The consumer has Tons of ammo! Small claims, BAR or even a letter from a real lawyer is all you need to get the attention you need. Don't give up if you Know you are right!

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score

Personally, I've Never understood the "get on the Internet and bitch about it" mindset. That almost never goes well.

I have a customer right now that is so made at me it's unreal. And honestly, I don't blame him! He has had more than his fair share of problems.

But there is no way in God's green earth I'm gonna let him stay that way. I'm gonna pay for the tow, and pick up his car, and see what is wrong with it tomorrow.

He says it cranks but won't start. Fuel or ignition, right? It's no way the engine build, but I still have to do whatever will make him happy. I will not let him go away mad.

To think you have no recourse is nuts. The consumer has Tons of ammo! Small claims, BAR or even a letter from a real lawyer is all you need to get the attention you need. Don't give up if you Know you are right!

You are a good man Joe. You scare me sometimes with the direction you want to go with my GTO. Remember, It is MY GTO!!!!!!
Love ya man.
HD

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
You are a good man Joe. You scare me sometimes with the direction you want to go with my GTO. Remember, It is MY GTO!!!!!!
Love ya man.
HD
All the chrome is back on it. I guess it looks ok. [emoji6]

Enen

Reaction score

Enen

Reaction score
I'm in the process of doing a complete re-power on my boat. I looked and very seriously considered putting Merc 700's in my boat and calling it a day- I didn't :D

Merc has service centers within 15 minutes of any major body of water a person could boat/ poker run on. That adds peace of mind to a new boat owner. No one else has that support infrastructure. I think that adds value.
When you consider the QC4V platform, it is hard to compete with a big power turn key application like this. IMO their outboard options have no competition.

By comparison I've heard stories of Bob Teague getting a call about one of his engines at 2:00 in the afternoon, grabbing a tool box flying up to Oregon a couple hours later, working all night rebuilding a top end, and taking the morning flight back to SoCal with zero sleep to get his customer back on the water. That personal service level is only available through a very few custom builders.

It's pretty cool to think about all of the options available to us now-a-days.

welldigger00

Reaction score
I wanted an old school, dual carbed blower motor for my 28 year old boat. A brand new black plastic crate engine does not fit the soul of my boat, my boat is a hot rod, not a sports car. If I had a 25'+ Daytona, or some other cat, I would get a factory motor, because to me, I think those kind of boats are more like a sports car. I wanted a kick ass hot rod motor, all shiny and loud. I had Alexi build my engine, and I couldn't be happier!

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Merc all the way. I don't buy into the "for the money you would spend on a Merc motor, you can build some VERY nice one off power" bullshit :p

No way in hell a custom motor will last as long as a Merc motor under the same conditions.:thumbup:

View attachment 416772

that kinda don't make sence...in fact this whole thread don't make sence.....didn't someone build the merc motors???

isn't the only thing different between them the fact that merc has tested and proven componits ...

that and the warranty if it fails

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
question to the masses...what would you expect to happen if you had someone build you a motor... and it needed a top end rebuild after 200 hrs...

lets say valves , springs , cam, lifters???

shueman

Reaction score
From the used / consignment sales side of the equation, it's much harder to sell a custom motor / wrenched boat than a stock MFG boat ... just my .02

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
here's the real thing that goes on.....

I can take a merc 525 apart and paint it a different color , put it back together and make 600 hp...

the custom builders motors that are mild built last ....same as merc.....

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
From the used / consignment sales side of the equation, it's much harder to sell a custom motor / wrenched boat than a stock MFG boat ... just my .02

very very true... and the factory sealed merc fetch the premium.....

people get fed up with dumping money into their boat and say, just put it back together so it will run long enough to sell..:(

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Some very good points here, but this was not meant to be a thread about merc vs. the world!

Just custom vs. crate, and why. Let's not let Grads muddy the waters. [emoji6]

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I believe CT made his choice in another thread. There is a lot of great info on this site if you look around. [emoji14] :D
Sorry. I don't have time to read Every thread on this site. Hallett Dave would kick my ass if I did! [emoji12]

GRADS

Reaction score
Let's not let Grads muddy the waters. [emoji6]

I voice my opinion and I get accused of muddying the waters, everyone else voices their opinion and they get a pat on the back?:grumble:

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
when you go to merc.... you want 800 hp and they sell you 525....

when you go to the custom builder.....he takes the same parts and makes 800

not to muddy but I think most merc motors run at 60% duty cycle...

where custom hi performance run closer to 100%

take all the best parts money can buy.... tune it 500 hp..rev it to 5000......don't matter who puts it together if they know what they are doing.....sweet motor...

my 427 in my broggie roadster shift at 10k, rpms... surprising ,... it stayed together....my 69 camero with a de stroked 302 left the line at 10k...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I voice my opinion and I get accused of muddying the waters, everyone else voices their opinion and they get a pat on the back?:grumble:

Don't feel too bad grads.. When it comes right down to it, you are actually right on this one.. Lol.

Maestro

Reaction score
I had a promarine built 540/793hp.
Not one issue. Other than I polished the whole top end. Heads intake etc. That was maint.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

I appreciate your comments, and if it was a 30K lesson things would be different. But it was a 3K lesson learned.
For 10 years I was also a machinist and engine builder. I stood behind everything I ever did. If I didn't think things went the way a customer claimed I would investigate thoroughly to determine the cause of failure or even just their discontent.
Every build got a detailed build sheet with clearances, torques, balance figures, etc.
all in a formatted binder with the dyno sheet in order of runs.
Maybe things have changed and I expect too much, but I don't think so.
What happened was that at the end of the summer I made a hard pass and like always it went great!
But when I idled down there was a valve train noise. I figured I bent something. Tore down the engine and could find nothing suspect. Talked to the "reputable builder" (who had not seen this engine yet) and talked about basically checking and reassbling everything, then dyno to make sure there was not a problem that we could not see. (I actually wanted to change Pistons to up the compression some, but was talked out of it).
Long story short the assembly was uneventful, but I then realized the guy farms out any actual work other than assembly...at least it seemed that way.
One third of my bill was the dyno runs...and THAT is where the complaint takes root.
When I got my engine back, I was handed a pile of sheets, there were about 2-3 runs that had complete data, the rest had missing data of different types.
Ok, not happy buy I at least see a HP reading at a given rpm.
Put the engine in the boat straight from the bed of my truck. Hook everything up and fire it. I always do this with remote starter, timing light hooked up, etc.
immediately I hear the same noise as when I pulled the engine. Builder says nothing was heard on the dyno. (I have the pics from the "dyno", an engine stand with exhaust hose running out the door, not exactly a super flow engine room)
I am told that "it's funny that happened when you got it home"...

Pulled a valve cover and found a PR and rocker with no oil and damage.
Traced it to a hole in the bottom of a hyd roller lifter, hidden beneath the wheel.
I did all that in my driveway.

Talked to schaub and foxwell (real professionals!) and got a set of morels and new springs, had to order new length push rods of course also.
Now if the dyno runs had not been paid for, there is no basis for my dissatisfaction.
But they were paid for, no valve covers were ever pulled during this or the problem would have been seen because there was no oiling going on at idle on one rocker.

I also saw that no valve springs had been removed at all, no guides checked or any type of inspection in heads whatsoever, rings had been reused, etc.

So the lesson here is that paying a guy 3K for gaskets and bearing job, and a makeshift dyno session that results in engine damage and even more work that if you did it yourself does not get you the same care and attention as the 30K polished turbo 100page internet famous build.

It makes me wonder if today's customer base is really so used to mediocrity that anybody who can read a dail gauge or mic is some sort of guru?

Anyway, if I was repowering a bad ass cat, unless I was just stupid rich I would not consider any custom builder other than the biggies, ilmore, Teague etc. otherwise it's straight mercruiser.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Merc makes a great product and having one in one boat makes it easier to resell a boat to the average guy. They also do a great job with warranty work and parts availability.

I love Mercury. Have since Ive been a kid.

However- at Mercury I'm a number - a nobody. Just the way it is with a big company.
Yeah I can get parts, but I can't get any real help on the phone as they don't care.
They shuffle you to a certified mechanic that may or may not take care of you.

From a HP per dollar standpoint - It's not difficult to build a better engine and get more HP and reliability per dollar spent with a custom builder.

With Alexi and Bob I'm "Dave," a guy they know, a guy they've worked with, and a guy they help, these guys and a select few others make a superior product and back it up with personal service.

Smart shoppers typically consider these brands a step up over Mercury - and almost 100% of the owners of these engines claim outstanding personal service.

Sterling
Boostpower
Teague
Chief
Wesco
Madera
Zul
Young
Crockett

and a few others Im missing

Any rig with one of these and a select few one man guys typically deserves its premium over a Mercury boat.

UD

Cray Paper

Reaction score
If the internet was around 70 years ago this same question would have been asked to the masses. What it really comes down to is who stands behind the product. Yea, you can go with a buddies buddy and wind up with what you paid for and or expected for much less than the best logical option. 9 times out of 10 that isn't what happens. Especially for the guy that knows enough to think he knows enough to make that decision.

I don't have a blue motor in my boat and if the stock 502 EFI mag took a dirt nap I would seriously consider buying a 502 SB from GMPP and install EB heads, then measure for custom PR's, install SS RR's, or buy a complete 572 and remove and sell the intake and carb, flywheel, water pump etc. Then have a local LT1 / LSx tuning guru tune it with the MC intake and injectors.

I have seen to many friends go with a local guy "guy that knows his shit" and build stroker BBC's that were pathetic on a dyno and then died a quick death. It then becomes a huge problem in the guys life, trying to find out what happened, why it under performed, what broke, could it have been prevented, then who's paying for it???. Way to many questions and eventually, every one of my friends got screwed out of hard earned cash.

The question was asked, how would you go about repowering your boat. If Merc was a little cheaper on BBC short and long blocks I would go with them. They aren't and GMPP sells almost the same thing (Merc didn't build the black motors, GM does for them) at a much cheaper price I know I can swap out the parts that matter and still come in as reliable and cheaper.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Lots of good answers. None of em wrong. It just depends how you view things I guess. I like the poll results for sure. :thumbsup

Some people want their stuff worth more down the road. Some people want stuff that gets the most bang for their bucks while they own it. Lots of variables and directions on here.

Just to give ya a little more food for thought...

Supercharged, turn key crate engine. 450hp and 450ft lb of torque. I see em selling for around 19k or so online:

http://marinepowerusa.com/wp-conten...owerUSA_GM_Specs_2009_6200_LSA_MarineBase.pdf

Naturally aspirated, turn key custom built engine we did for a customer a few years ago. 545hp and 600ft lb of torque. The price was 15k out the door:

http://jmsservicecenter.com/ls-mania/

Choose wisely my friends. Have fun! :cool

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I gotta rewrite that when I get to a computer.. Came off kinda blah shortening things up because it was on a phone.

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
If you were looking to re-power or even buy new power your boat project, would you prefer dealing with a custom engine builder, or a crate type engine builder, and why?

Just curious what the feeling is out there.

Interesting and great question! Even though Boostpower is my company and we provide several services, I would like to mention a few things a consumer should consider.

What level of horsepower and service will you need?

For example, if you need a local anybody to work on your boat for service and repair and your horsepower is 550 or less, my first choice would be Mercury! They have a worldwide network of services and their pricing is decent. They are a public company and have great folks their that we work with.

If one were to have a more custom look and internal parts preference and perhaps a bit more power, I would seek a builder who has been in business for a good period of time and provable success stories. I would also consider were they are located and most of all, Can You Get Along with the people/owners. It's really a matter of relationships for the smaller builders.
Several mentioned in this thread build nice products, however what I mentioned about logistics and relations for sure matters.

The other day a guy wanted our BOOSTPOWER 550. We almost never build those smaller hp motors these days. I recommended the Mercury 565 without custom finishes we modify them with for his repower! He kinda looked at me funny but it's a better price value then ours because ours was and had been over engineered. I mentioned if down the road you wanted to make it into a 900 ours is designed that way. Anyway, I sold him a modified New Mercury!

The other key subject one may consider is the type of boat you are working on vs. horsepower and Provider experience.

I mean if you are building a fast V drive boat, you would want to goto a company that has all of the Logistics and Personal relations for one and then decide who has set them up in that type of boat! A in experienced good quality builder may not set up the motor how it really needs to be for a particular application! Keep this in mind.

Another quick example is that a jet boat engine vs. a v drive engine vs. a twin engine boat application are fairly different animals! So, you may consider throwing out the local qualified company to you and pay the piper to send the boat on the road! We see it about every job! They come for a specific need, they also know that we can come to them and will! Others may do this too!

When it comes to ultimate power the choices get small! Of course Mercury makes their new turbo engines which are an engineering marvel[emoji106]🏻, but remember, the small handful of big power builders have good solutions and customization abilities as well.

The playing field is definitely getting smaller by the month but the big power players will survive if not for their quality --for their personalized specialty services!

Anyway, sorry to write a book, but thought I would stimulate some good thoughts.

Thanks

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Custom all the way, or do it yourself. I don't buy into the "Mercruiser is the greatest thing since sliced bread" bullshit :p

For the money would spend on a Merc racing motor, you can build some VERY nice one off power.

put then you get passed by some guy wifes house boat with the bimini up....see ya...... Zoooooom!!!!!:D:p

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
Marketing Budget

They put a lot more testing hours for endurance then any average builder.
For example: they do 15hour durability tests, they learn and improve things. When average builders take them apart they may pick up on some of that stuff.
But, it's their support network that is key [emoji106]🏻

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I'd go with the guy you trust to do the job and get it done right the first time. I would prefer reliability over excessive power. Strangely...I'm in the market to have this done! :D

On a Nissan? :p

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
There are a few really good builders out there, there are a lot of decent builders and there are a small handful of top tier guys. Me personally if I am going for stock power I would go with Mercury. Anything non stock would be one guy and one guy only as he has earned his reputation over the years. Brummett is the only guy that has built my dad's engines and now mine. We have waited over a year in the past to have him do things and would do it again. This is not to take away from anyone else out there it's just my .02

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
There are a few really good builders out there, there are a lot of decent builders and there are a small handful of top tier guys. Me personally if I am going for stock power I would go with Mercury. Anything non stock would be one guy and one guy only as he has earned his reputation over the years. Brummett is the only guy that has built my dad's engines and now mine. We have waited over a year in the past to have him do things and would do it again. This is not to take away from anyone else out there it's just my .02

Yes. Carson does a great job. I remember you and I skiing behind your dads all aluminum motor when we were kids[emoji106]🏻 good stuff.

dread Pirate

Reaction score
When I rebuild mine it will be going to Joey Grose.

Bummed they had problems in Sonoma.

note: I have a 19' daytona with 2 seats with the sole purpose of being a fast lake boat that I could take racing. Now it all changes should I consider a different boat. But thats not happening anytime soon, so,,,,,

Blownrvr

Reaction score
well, I am biased. My family and I have had several boats. Several of the boats have had high performance engines. Carson, Teague and the other big name builders have always been in the spotlight as I was growing up in that generation. In fact, we owned boats with those engines. Watching from a distance, my dad and I saw Alexi at Boostpower Marine spend endless hours on Lake Arrowhead with boats and at the time lap tops, hand held things and whatever he was doing. We saw him run around in circles with his dads and others boats and fine tune them before injection was really an option for a consumer (hour after hour).It was like the lake was his dyno! At the time we never would use him as he was just a kid in our eyes. Alexi started early and is now just over 40 years old with a long experience of EFI, engine design and actually drives just about every boat made for magazines and private consulting jobs. I am sure he knows what works etc at this point. I am sure the other guys have experience and talent, but Alexi gets it done and efficiently. I can't wait a year for a motor or a month for a part. I need it now! He makes it happen and does not cut quality! I have been told that he designs a lot of the software functions of many top tear ECU's that runs the engines. Another important item I want to share is the fact that I have visited with him at every Desert Storm event at his booth. Very few engine builders have all the competitors stop over and actually hang out and chat with him. He is obviously respected and has a great relationship with all the major hitters in the engine world. To me that says a lot! Who does that! I have tried to get him to trash talk a builder and he just says that all builders have their talents and I respect that a bunch! Anyway, I thought I would mention a bit of what Ive seen and experienced. I currently work with him along with my father and have had a flawless experience for several years. Boostpower Marine is my choice!:D

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
well, I am biased. My family and I have had several boats. Several of the boats have had high performance engines. Carson, Teague and the other big name builders have always been in the spotlight as I was growing up in that generation. In fact, we owned boats with those engines. Watching from a distance, my dad and I saw Alexi at Boostpower Marine spend endless hours on Lake Arrowhead with boats and at the time lap tops, hand held things and whatever he was doing. We saw him run around in circles with his dads and others boats and fine tune them before injection was really an option for a consumer (hour after hour).It was like the lake was his dyno! At the time we never would use him as he was just a kid in our eyes. Alexi started early and is now just over 40 years old with a long experience of EFI, engine design and actually drives just about every boat made for magazines and private consulting jobs. I am sure he knows what works etc at this point. I am sure the other guys have experience and talent, but Alexi gets it done and efficiently. I can't wait a year for a motor or a month for a part. I need it now! He makes it happen and does not cut quality! I have been told that he designs a lot of the software functions of many top tear ECU's that runs the engines. Another important item I want to share is the fact that I have visited with him at every Desert Storm event at his booth. Very few engine builders have all the competitors stop over and actually hang out and chat with him. He is obviously respected and has a great relationship with all the major hitters in the engine world. To me that says a lot! Who does that! I have tried to get him to trash talk a builder and he just says that all builders have their talents and I respect that a bunch! Anyway, I thought I would mention a bit of what Ive seen and experienced. I currently work with him along with my father and have had a flawless experience for several years. Boostpower Marine is my choice!:D

Well! Thanks for the kind words[emoji106]🏻.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Interesting and great question! Even though Boostpower is my company and we provide several services, I would like to mention a few things a consumer should consider.

What level of horsepower and service will you need?

For example, if you need a local anybody to work on your boat for service and repair and your horsepower is 550 or less, my first choice would be Mercury! They have a worldwide network of services and their pricing is decent. They are a public company and have great folks their that we work with.

If one were to have a more custom look and internal parts preference and perhaps a bit more power, I would seek a builder who has been in business for a good period of time and provable success stories. I would also consider were they are located and most of all, Can You Get Along with the people/owners. It's really a matter of relationships for the smaller builders.
Several mentioned in this thread build nice products, however what I mentioned about logistics and relations for sure matters.

The other day a guy wanted our BOOSTPOWER 550. We almost never build those smaller hp motors these days. I recommended the Mercury 565 without custom finishes we modify them with for his repower! He kinda looked at me funny but it's a better price value then ours because ours was and had been over engineered. I mentioned if down the road you wanted to make it into a 900 ours is designed that way. Anyway, I sold him a modified New Mercury!

The other key subject one may consider is the type of boat you are working on vs. horsepower and Provider experience.

I mean if you are building a fast V drive boat, you would want to goto a company that has all of the Logistics and Personal relations for one and then decide who has set them up in that type of boat! A in experienced good quality builder may not set up the motor how it really needs to be for a particular application! Keep this in mind.

Another quick example is that a jet boat engine vs. a v drive engine vs. a twin engine boat application are fairly different animals! So, you may consider throwing out the local qualified company to you and pay the piper to send the boat on the road! We see it about every job! They come for a specific need, they also know that we can come to them and will! Others may do this too!

When it comes to ultimate power the choices get small! Of course Mercury makes their new turbo engines which are an engineering marvel[emoji106], but remember, the small handful of big power builders have good solutions and customization abilities as well.

The playing field is definitely getting smaller by the month but the big power players will survive if not for their quality --for their personalized specialty services!

Anyway, sorry to write a book, but thought I would stimulate some good thoughts.

Thanks

Great read. :thumbup: