WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Weekend carnage and I haven't even left yet

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
I hurt the motor over fathers day weekend and my Mehcanic went out to havasu to check it out. We thought I lost a msd box but it ended up I broke a valve spring.
Here's the pics he sent me.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435723468.920699.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435723476.953399.jpg
So he's gonna bring it back to castaic pull the head off and I'm gonna run it the the machine shop then reinstall it and hopefully leave Friday night as long as it didn't tap the piston.
I hope everything works as we are planning.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I fired mine up today on the hose to check things out. Ran fine for a Couple minutes then it just shut off. No spark. Fuck me. I ordered another new ignition box and having it shipped to my house in havasu.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I hurt the motor over fathers day weekend and my Mehcanic went out to havasu to check it out. We thought I lost a msd box but it ended up I broke a valve spring.
View attachment 416796
View attachment 416797
So he's gonna bring it back to castaic pull the head off and I'm gonna run it the the machine shop then reinstall it and hopefully leave Friday night as long as it didn't tap the piston.

why can't you just change the spring???

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
View attachment 416796
View attachment 416797
Ive had that happen before...broke a dual spring, it stayed partially intact just like yours which kept the valve from dropping and grenading the motor. You can take a straight-edge and lay it across the valve tips. If the valve is @ the same exact height as all the others, it is a pretty safe bet it did not make contact or bend. May save you the tow and head removal if its not needed.
When it happened to my motor...I was able to throw a new spring on and be on my way. May want to swap all 16 to be safe though...may have others that are fatigued or a bad batch that caused that if it seemingly happened without reason

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I replaced all the spring on my motor without taking the heads off. I think all the tools are still in havasu if you want to try thrm.

ColdSteel

Life on the Main Jet.
Reaction score
Lucky that busted spring didn't make the locks let go!

Maybe just change the springs, check the pushrod for straightness and do a compression test.. If that valve got smacked you'll see it in the pressure numbers.

ColdSteel

Life on the Main Jet.
Reaction score
What was the motor doing?
Idle okay and pop through the exhaust at RPM?

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
Ive had that happen before...broke a dual spring, it stayed partially intact just like yours which kept the valve from dropping and grenading the motor. You can take a straight-edge and lay it across the valve tips. If the valve is @ the same exact height as all the others, it is a pretty safe bet it did not make contact or bend. May save you the tow and head removal if its not needed.
When it happened to my motor...I was able to throw a new spring on and be on my way. May want to swap all 16 to be safe though...may have others that are fatigued or a bad batch that caused that if it seemingly happened without reason
Motors on its 3rd season. I'm gonna just change the spring if possible and finish the season out and deal with it over winter.
I replaced all the spring on my motor without taking the heads off. I think all the tools are still in havasu if you want to try thrm.
Thank you but he's heading back tomorrow and work on it at his shop.
Lucky that busted spring didn't make the locks let go!

Maybe just change the springs, check the pushrod for straightness and do a compression test.. If that valve got smacked you'll see it in the pressure numbers.

It broke the cup and 3 spring for sure but haven't checked pushrod.

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
What was the motor doing?
Idle okay and pop through the exhaust at RPM?

Idle was a little rough but more like fuel pump was intermediate and when I went to get on plane it coughed and shut off. Of all weekends for it to happen I never went over 3400 rpms. Lol

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Baller problems....:D where's the backup boat???

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Torn apart getting redone. [emoji107][emoji107] I definitely don't want to rebuild this motor this summer. [emoji16]

Doh!! Thought u were close to done. Haven't peeped that thread lately. U may need to get your boat bitch shoes on. :D

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
Well I cancelled my trip and I'm not gonna bandaid it. I'm gonna go threw it completely for my peace of mine.
I will post pics of the build.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
It takes 10 minutes to change the spring without pulling the head.

Hammer

Reaction score
Well I cancelled my trip and I'm not gonna bandaid it. I'm gonna go threw it completely for my peace of mine.
I will post pics of the build.

I got room in the Hallett if you and the wife want to do Parker this weekend

tkrrox

Reaction score
Good thing I didn't buy that motor from you [emoji38]

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I fired mine up today on the hose to check things out. Ran fine for a Couple minutes then it just shut off. No spark. Fuck me. I ordered another new ignition box and having it shipped to my house in havasu.

I am sure I got a spare 6A around MSD = Might Spark Don't know :D

PaPaG

Reaction score
I know but this is a 700 lift cam blower motor. I will sleep better knowing it's done right. [emoji57]

Sorry to hear the bad news Dave, ALWAYS better safe than sorry, would suck if you were out on the 4th weekend with all the action and you have engine failure even worse if by bandaiding it it causes a lot more damage...get it done right from the start and rest easy with the family out on the water. PS How is the new kid doing?

Joker

Reaction score
Just read this Dave. Hope the rebuild goes good.:thumbsup
If you ever want to float, let us know. :)

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
Sorry to hear the bad news Dave, ALWAYS better safe than sorry, would suck if you were out on the 4th weekend with all the action and you have engine failure even worse if by bandaiding it it causes a lot more damage...get it done right from the start and rest easy with the family out on the water. PS How is the new kid doing?

Kid is doing great. Thanks for asking. She loves driving the boat.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435851813.174183.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435851825.065948.jpg

28Eliminator

Reaction score
:eek This sucks.. How did I miss this :(

Im actually a little disappointed Dave, when someone says "Carnage". we expect to see some good stuff... like Rod Ventilated Blocks, sideways pistons, torn off Blowers, and one of my all time favorites... a broken piston up through the middle of the block breaking the cam in half and cracking the intake :thumbup:.

If your gonna do it, do it right and quite bothering us with this menial pesky little broken spring crap :p

J/K :D it sounded fine when I saw you..

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
:eek This sucks.. How did I miss this :(

Im actually a little disappointed Dave, when someone says "Carnage". we expect to see some good stuff... like Rod Ventilated Blocks, sideways pistons, torn off Blowers, and one of my all time favorites... a broken piston up through the middle of the block breaking the cam in half and cracking the intake :thumbup:.

If your gonna do it, do it right and quite bothering us with this menial pesky little broken spring crap :p

J/K :D it sounded fine when I saw you..

It happened Sunday night leaving the turtle. [emoji107]🏻

RVRKID

Reaction score
Was your boat heading across the 40 this morning?

RVRKID

Reaction score
I thought so, only know yours and my buddies Dad that had that paint!

Mrs.Racer277

SOCIAL
Reaction score
View attachment 416796
View attachment 416797

Oh not good :thumbsdown

Halvecto

Reaction score
Yes so-cal speed and marine was bringing it back to la for me

That is the kind of stuff Mario will do. He and George are good people. I picked up my Vector from them last week. I had it in for oil change and drive service. Turned out I needed my trailer brakes worked on. George took care of it. :thumbup: I have seen your boats there often.

Take a look at the Howard deck boat in the shop that Mario is rigging. Neat boat. Not my taste, but awfully nice rig.

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
Oh not good :thumbsdown
Nope it sucks but oh well.
That is the kind of stuff Mario will do. He and George are good people. I picked up my Vector from them last week. I had it in for oil change and drive service. Turned out I needed my trailer brakes worked on. George took care of it. :thumbup: I have seen your boats there often.

Take a look at the Howard deck boat in the shop that Mario is rigging. Neat boat. Not my taste, but awfully nice rig.

I agree 100% with you. He's the best in the business. That's why I always refer him to people.

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
So started tearing into it and there's 2 broken springs 1 broken keeper and lots of metal shavings so I'm glad I didn't just throw a spring and go.
Gonna finishing tearing it apart Saturday and see how far the rebuild is gonna go.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
So started tearing into it and there's 2 broken springs 1 broken keeper and lots of metal shavings so I'm glad I didn't just throw a spring and go.
Gonna finishing tearing it apart Saturday and see how far the rebuild is gonna go.

That sucks. Hopefully nothing else pops up when you get it all apart.

fmo24

Reaction score
Have you ever thought about running your turbo motor? I would imagine it would not be cheap to do exhaust and plumbing though just for a season or the time it takes to rebuild this motor