WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

1 Dead, 1 Injured - Car hits bicyclists

Advantage 1

Reaction score
1 dead, 1 injured after car hits bicyclists; riders were owners of Havasu bike store

Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2015 11:36 am | Updated: 3:16 pm, Wed Jul 1, 2015.

The victims of Wednesday morning's fatal bicycle-versus-car collision have been identified as Deborah D. Robison and Lawrence F. Smith, both of Lake Havasu City.

According to a news release, a Lincoln passenger car driven by Erica J. Etten, 31, of Havasu, was driving southbound on State Route 95 when she hit Robison, 60, and Smith, 63, who were also riding southbound. The car struck both bicyclists, causing them to lose control.

Robison died at the scene, and Smith was taken to a Las Vegas hospital for treatment of serious injuries. Etten was not injured in the crash.

Troopers with the Arizona Department of Public Safety are still investigating the crash, but they said they don't believe impaired driving was a factor.

Smith and Robison, both avid cyclists, are the owners of AZBuilt Sports on Swanson Drive.

http://www.havasunews.com/news/dead...cle_10cb0ac0-2020-11e5-a193-8b48a81c0b02.html

Andy01

Reaction score
RIP, that is terrible. A terrible way to.

Any idea where on 95? Like out in the desert, or near town? I hope the driver goes down for their crime, and if there is no crime committed then I hope they walk free.

Hye Power

Reaction score
RIP, that is terrible. A terrible way to.

Any idea where on 95? Like out in the desert, or near town? I hope the driver goes down for their crime, and if there is no crime committed then I hope they walk free.

I believe south end of town.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
There isn't a sarcasm smiley but the line about Etten being uninjured...no shit, she's behind the wheel of a Lincoln and mows down two people on bikes...good Lord...idiot reporters...

God speed to the one who died and best wishes to the injured...

JBS

Reaction score
Sad deal all around. Prayers to all involved

USMC2010

Reaction score
it happened just south of Sara Park.

Havasteve

Reaction score
There isn't a sarcasm smiley but the line about Etten being uninjured...no shit, she's behind the wheel of a Lincoln and mows down two people on bikes...good Lord...idiot reporters...

God speed to the one who died and best wishes to the injured...

We know. It's the News Herald. It's embarrassing.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Jesus, that sucks. They ran the only bike shop in town. The owner of the shop I went to in OC was killed a few years ago. Screw that, i only ride in the river bed bike thing.

USMC2010

Reaction score
She was awesome, still praying for Larry to pull through. There has been no chatter of his condition today that I have seen or can see.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
RIP - this is horrible news. To me as a business (AZ Built) they were the anti - yuppie. A quick story about AZ Built / Larry and Debbie. So a couple of years ago I was in the market for Stand Up paddle boards. On my birthday Larry showed up at our door and asked anybody ordered a set of paddle boards. His lips were pierced / his wife (partner Deborah) as he introduced was behind him. My wife put them up to this and I could tell it was out if their wheel house. Point is they were authentict and extremely dedicated to their craft. This is a real tragedy for locals. :thumbsdown

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
So sad to hear......RIP:(

poncho

Reaction score
I was on a very busy road the other day and a guy who appeared to be a seasoned road biker was using a lane and people were squeezing past him regardless, i felt like i was watching a very bad thing unfolding...when he turned off i breathed a sigh of relief.:thumbsdown

BigSteve

Reaction score
Very sorry about the bike riders.

That said the road is a Sacramento level road very twisty and narrow, full of farmer and transport of heavy farming equipment and produce trailers

Its a favorite for weekend motorcycle clubs they roll right along , the bicyclist shouldn't be on that road for their own safety in the first place

I have seen more than one or two close calls driving that section of road. The bike riders have a great area along the American river a few miles away just for bikes

PaPaG

Reaction score
What the heck is going on in Havi lately, are the drivers just not paying attention anymore. Haven't there been a lot of recent serious accidents in town?

blacksockdown

Banned
Reaction score
Horrible news.Bike riding is part of my everyday routine.Its stunning/baffling that roadies ride/share blacktop with cages driven by clueless unaware zombies stuck on stupid auto pilot.I aint goin out that way.Btw.Ive been hit three times so far this yr.A more defensive and anticipating the worst bike rider than me doesn't exist.One flick to the right on steering wheel while texting? U yesterdays news.All u roadies are rollin the dice.Odds against you are stacked incomprehensibly..GodSpeed to victims..

SandbarScot

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I met these two when we went into their shop Tuesday afternoon. We may have been their last customers. When we went back the next morning, no one was there to open the store...then we heard the news. Still in shock. Very nice, genuine, salt of the earth type of couple. If anyone has word of Larry's condition, please message me.

Joker

Reaction score
Not sure how anyone can feel safe riding a bike with all of the distractions a driver has now. Sad news.

Advantage 1

Reaction score
Not sure how anyone can feel safe riding a bike with all of the distractions a driver has now. Sad news.

I've been tagged twice while jogging. Truck mirror to the shoulder. I run against traffic so I see what's coming and I swear on both occasions the driver(s) came in and aimed at me on purpose. Truly there are assholes among us.

USMC2010

Reaction score
I've been tagged twice while jogging. Truck mirror to the shoulder. I run against traffic so I see what's coming and I swear on both occasions the driver(s) came in and aimed at me on purpose. Truly there are assholes among us.

Same thing happened to me about a year ago, broke his mirror and he thought it was wise to try and yell at me. I feel relatively safe biking here but distracted driving is a bigger issue than most will admit. No details have been released but my money is on her phone.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Sad indeed......Pretty soon they will pass yet, another law requiring bigger helmets, airbags, and seat belts for the road bikers...

riverroyal

Reaction score
damn, I met them last summer looking for a few paddle boards. driver was probably texing. I drive through LA everyday, without exaggerating over 50% of drivers are on the phone or typing. Ive been purposely watching this. Driving is no longer watching your lane and staying straight, its watching everyone around you. I always check the people around me, if they are on the phone I move as fast as possible.

horrible news

TOBTEK

Reaction score
Terrible news. So sad. As a returning cyclist, its VERY scary out there sharing the road with cars and trucks. Over the last two years or so, have had MANY close calls. Have to pay attention at all times.

bike memorial.jpg

We see WAY TOO MANY of these roadside bikers memorials.

poncho

Reaction score
damn, I met them last summer looking for a few paddle boards. driver was probably texing. I drive through LA everyday, without exaggerating over 50% of drivers are on the phone or typing. Ive been purposely watching this. Driving is no longer watching your lane and staying straight, its watching everyone around you. I always check the people around me, if they are on the phone I move as fast as possible.

horrible news

I was forced onto a raised center median about a year ago by a teenage girl looking into her lap, been watching since...amazing how many drivers are looking into their laps while driving.:thumbsdown

USMC2010

Reaction score
Found out Larry passed away around 10am today.