WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Stereo cutting out

ERV JR

Reaction score
I have tried two diff head units in the boat. Its a simple system four 6x9 3way speakers powered off the head unit. My stero works fine in the beginning of the day. As it is on for a while it will cutout or get silent. So I turn the voloume down three clicks and it works ok for half an hour then again and again throughout the day. I had another headunit and threw it in since the old one had an adapter for the ipod . Figured rhis one had a usb port so why not use it. It dose the same thing. I started thinking it was a since its an old boat and the 12v source constand came off the ing switch. So I ran. 14awg wire to the pergo switch that is few with 2awg cable. So its direct battery power and same problem. Any help please

ERV JR

Reaction score
Side note is there a low voktage cutout ? If driving I can have the radio blasting ? I have intended to bring my meter but always forget. Interested to see if voltage is dropping and maybe bring a load tester or midtronics. Btw batteries are merceded benz agm 760cca batteries. And I have the switch on for both

tstone

Reaction score
Sounds like it may be going into a clipping/overload mode due to heat?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
My amps would cut out when they overheat in my truck. The new digital amps are much better.

ERV JR

Reaction score
So if that's the case what can I do ? Are the 6/9 speakers too much for the headunif

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Yea or maybe don't push it too hard? I know w an amp my 6x9's get loud

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I think any load at all is asking a lot from a head unit, at least for extended periods in the heat. Lots of components/functionality crammed into a tiny space.

Separate amp FTW :thumbup: