WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

247xs hull lineage

Ultra247

Reaction score
I know that this has been told many times but what is the history and current status of the 247xs molds / production. I know they were used by ultra and Gemini. What were the years? Does anybody know who runs them now?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I know that this has been told many times but what is the history and current status of the 247xs molds / production. I know they were used by ultra and Gemini. What were the years? Does anybody know who runs them now?

I would have to dig it up, but an Actual RDP member ended up with the 247 Molds.. He PM'd me looking for pictures awhile back.

RD

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Is it the same as the 250 eagle or DCB's 24 extreme, or are they all splashes of each other, (not claiming who came first at all), they certainly look the part. Laser as well of course.

Ultra28

Reaction score
The 247XS was tooled by DCB based off of the 22 DCB (bought off the Leach brothers formerly known as Extreme Boats. Ultra bought the molds off DCB in 2000 and built them until 2004. They became Lightning in 2004 and Lightning allowed several companies to build them under their name, notably Genesis.

Todd now owns the molds and has them in Hemet. If anybody wants one built, I'm sure we can make that happen.

bocco

Reaction score
I'll bet they still don't have cup holders for the front seat.

Ultra247

Reaction score
Mine has dual cup holders in the front seats... but that's from Westcoast Marine...

Attachments

• IMG_1011.jpg
    IMG_1011.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 76

Ultra28

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440647093.777563.jpg
We normally put one in the ones we built. It was down low, but it was better than nothing.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I always thought that was a good looking boat. Nice lines. Most of the Ultra ones were damn sexy. :D

Some have said it gets a bit squirrelly at high speeds?

tb230razor

Reaction score
I always thought that was a good looking boat. Nice lines. Most of the Ultra ones were damn sexy. :D

Some have said it gets a bit squirrelly at high speeds?

My first boat was a Genesis 247 with a 6.2. It wasn't a fast boat by any means but a nice cruiser and good on gas. I wonder how fast it had to go to get squirrelly? I've never heard that before but that would be crazy

HBCraig

Reaction score
I have one of the last Ultra 247's built by John West I believe. I love it.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Is this 247xs hull the same/similar to the Cobra 230 Razor/Ultra 23xs/Genesis/Lightning 23 foot boats (minus the swim steps of course)? I have seen Eliminator and DCB versions that look to be the same as this 23 foot hull as well.

Wondering if the story with that hull is the same as the 247xs.

tb230razor

Reaction score
Is this 247xs hull the same/similar to the Cobra 230 Razor/Ultra 23xs/Genesis/Lightning 23 foot boats (minus the swim steps of course)? I have seen Eliminator and DCB versions that look to be the same as this 23 foot hull as well.

Wondering if the story with that hull is the same as the 247xs.

No. Two different molds
The ultra 23 is now the Cobra 230. I was told by Jeff that he got the 23 mold from ultra and modified it a bit to make it a true 23' boat. Cobra has never had the 247 mold

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
No. Two different molds
The ultra 23 is now the Cobra 230. I was told by Jeff that he got the 23 mold from ultra and modified it a bit to make it a true 23' boat. Cobra has never had the 247 mold

Do you know anything about a owner of cobra other than Jeff. Ran into a guy that said he used to work for cobra but threw out the name Ben? Ring any bells?

tb230razor

Reaction score
Do you know anything about a owner of cobra other than Jeff. Ran into a guy that said he used to work for cobra but threw out the name Ben? Ring any bells?

As far as I know, Jeff is the original owner of Cobra. He used to build for Ultra, then started Cobra on his own. Now, I don't know if maybe he had a partner or something like that.............
I'm sure Throttle would know. I've never heard the name Ben associated with Cobra though.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
As far as I know, Jeff is the original owner of Cobra. He used to build for Ultra, then started Cobra on his own. Now, I don't know if maybe he had a partner or something like that.............
I'm sure Throttle would know. I've never heard the name Ben associated with Cobra though.

I have heard he had a partner and there was an incident in a boat??? I don't want to start rumors and it's really not important I was just curious.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
No. Two different molds

So is the 23 foot boat originally from Eliminator/DCB as well?

Goodtime$

Reaction score
So is the 23 foot boat originally from Eliminator/DCB as well?

The story goes like this: The original TOOL #1 was built by Brent Leach based off the 22 eliminator. It was called the EXTREME 23 and the hulls were actually built in Tijuana MX. Hulls were sent up to the IE to get rigged.

After this the tools as sold to DCB, then sold the ULTRA, then another mold was made, COBRA tooled a true 23' version and then Ultra sold the tool to Lightning/ Genesis Boats.

Currently we have 2 x 23 extreme TOOLS in the yard, we are selling 1 for $5500.00

The 247 shares the same cockpit beam of the 23 Extreme with the added swim step and twin step bottom. Both are really cool Custom Family Boats.
DCB tooled the 247 and I'm not sure if Chuck Guy did it, i will have to ask.

We will start building a couple 247XS this winter for dealers as right now we are focusing on Offshore Center Console fish boats right now.
247XS
6.2mag/ B1
Extreme Trailer
Merc Gauges smartcraft
Eddie Shifter
55gal belly tank
$48k range loaded with stereo, bimini and flotilla vinyl.
we are adding seadek to the swim step and an insert fiberglass floor with drain.
Coosa transoms and foam core stringers as we move away from wood in production.

The tijuana story is true and a very crazy idea that worked for a short while. Happy reading!

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
The story goes like this: The original TOOL #1 was built by Brent Leach based off the 22 eliminator. It was called the EXTREME 23 and the hulls were actually built in Tijuana MX. Hulls were sent up to the IE to get rigged.

After this the tools as sold to DCB, then sold the ULTRA, then another mold was made, COBRA tooled a true 23' version and then Ultra sold the tool to Lightning/ Genesis Boats.

Currently we have 2 x 23 extreme TOOLS in the yard, we are selling 1 for $5500.00

The 247 shares the same cockpit beam of the 23 Extreme with the added swim step and twin step bottom. Both are really cool Custom Family Boats.

We will start building a couple 247XS this winter for dealers as right now we are focusing on Offshore Center Console fish boats right now.
247XS
6.2mag/ B1
Extreme Trailer
Merc Gauges smartcraft
Eddie Shifter
55gal belly tank
we are adding seadek to the swim step and an insert fiberglass floor with drain.

The tijuana story is true and a very crazy idea that worked for a short while. Happy reading!

Keep us posted on the builds. Seems like a good price for a lot of my friends starting to look for boats

Gelcoater

Reaction score

247XS
6.2mag/ B1
Extreme Trailer
Merc Gauges smartcraft
Eddie Shifter
55gal belly tank

Pretty accurate...except they were built in Ensenada,not TJ.;)
And they were built by Brent And Bryant,his younger brother.

bocco

Reaction score
So I'm looking to buy a new cover for my DCB 24 Extreme. What's a good place to go for good heavy canvas one. The one I have looks pretty but it doesn't keep the dust out.

Thanks

Gary

Ultra28

Reaction score
I have heard he had a partner and there was an incident in a boat??? I don't want to start rumors and it's really not important I was just curious.

Jeff is the only person that has ever owned Cobra. He has never had a partner.

Ultra28

Reaction score

247XS
6.2mag/ B1
Extreme Trailer
Merc Gauges smartcraft
Eddie Shifter
55gal belly tank

Ron Ehde tooled the 247.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Jeff is the only person that has ever owned Cobra. He has never had a partner.

Bill or Ben clauson? I don't remember the name. My dad just said he met a guy that used to work for him at cobra? Met him at a jet boat race shop he delivered express mail to. I was just curious. I was planning on swinging by cobra today but not sure I'm going to make it.

downriver34

Reaction score
Bill or Ben clauson? I don't remember the name. My dad just said he met a guy that used to work for him at cobra? Met him at a jet boat race shop he delivered express mail to. I was just curious. I was planning on swinging by cobra today but not sure I'm going to make it.

Stopping at Hard Hats?

GregG

Reaction score
The story goes like this: The original TOOL #1 was built by Brent Leach based off the 22 eliminator. It was called the EXTREME 23 and the hulls were actually built in Tijuana MX. Hulls were sent up to the IE to get rigged. After this the tools as sold to DCB, then sold the ULTRA, then another mold was made, COBRA tooled a true 23' version and then Ultra sold the tool to Lightning/ Genesis Boats. Currently we have 2 x 23 extreme TOOLS in the yard, we are selling 1 for $5500.00

The 247 shares the same cockpit beam of the 23 Extreme with the added swim step and twin step bottom. Both are really cool Custom Family Boats. DCB tooled the 247 and I'm not sure if Chuck Guy did it, i will have to ask. The tijuana story is true and a very crazy idea that worked for a short while. Happy reading!

Pretty accurate...except they were built in Ensenada, not TJ.;) And they were built by Brent And Bryant, his younger brother.

Pretty cool thread................

There are a couple of things to add. The first boat as mentioned was by Eliminator but was actually called the Extreme 22. Leach sold the mold to DCB when they were first starting out and Dave built two versions. One was called the DCB 22 Extreme and there was a second, very rare model that was called the DCB 22 Extreme "HP". He also built one or two of the HP versions for OB power. DCB also added the integrated swim platform and created the 24 Extreme. Then, Dave sold 22 the molds to John West at Ultra Custom Boats and Ultra created the Ultra 23XS from the mold. They got rid of the HP variant entirely btw. I believe the first 23XS that Ultra built was for the 1999 Anaheim Boat Show. Ultra turned out 23XS models in a wide variety of layouts. Also, a 23XS is actually only 21'10" long when you put a tape to it. Great thread :thumbsup

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Pretty cool thread................

There are a couple of things to add. The first boat as mentioned was by Eliminator but was actually called the Extreme 22. Leach sold the mold to DCB when they were first starting out and Dave built two versions. One was called the DCB 22 Extreme and there was a second, very rare model that was called the DCB 22 Extreme "HP". He also built one or two of the HP versions for OB power. DCB also added the integrated swim platform and created the 24 Extreme. Then, Dave sold 22 the molds to John West at Ultra Custom Boats and Ultra created the Ultra 23XS from the mold. They got rid of the HP variant entirely btw. I believe the first 23XS that Ultra built was for the 1999 Anaheim Boat Show. Ultra turned out 23XS models in a wide variety of layouts. Also, a 23XS is actually only 21'10" long when you put a tape to it. Great thread :thumbsup
It was built by Brent and Bryant,Bob knew nothing about it for a time.They were not Bobs molds.So in the beginning they weren't by Eliminator.Rick Davey did the tooling.

GregG

Reaction score
It was built by Brent and Bryant,Bob knew nothing about it for a time.They were not Bobs molds.So in the beginning they weren't by Eliminator.Rick Davey did the tooling.

That's correct. Isn't that where the old 20 sport day Cruise molds were left?

Wow, that is even more interesting. So when Brent and Bryant Leach and Rick Davey built the very first molds and produced the "22 Extreme" V hulls what MIC did they use? Did the very first ones have a different MIC and then a bit later did they switch to the Eliminator HINs? Also, correct me if I'm wrong but was Dave still doing the rigging for Eliminator at that time? Sorry for the history request.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
are Brent and Brian involved w eliminator anymore?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Wow, that is even more interesting. So when Brent and Bryant Leach and Rick Davey built the very first molds and produced the "22 Extreme" V hulls what MIC did they use? Did the very first ones have a different MIC and then a bit later did they switch to the Eliminator HINs? Also, correct me if I'm wrong but was Dave still doing the rigging for Eliminator at that time? Sorry for the history request.
Texting with Brent at the moment.The early units were EXT callout while later units after the cat was let out of the bag so to speak were ELB and labeled as Eliminators.
As far as your question about Dave,(was a long time ago) I believe he was still Daves Custom Boats,doing mostly 19,21 and 22 Daytonas almost exclusively outboard builds.
He was custom ordering the hulls as blanks some were really out there with gel and color work.So as far as I can recall he wasn't really doing rigging for Eliminator,he was doing his own thing.Pretty sure he was doing mostly Eliminator hulls but I believe he did (and don't quote me on this) a Skater or two and a couple other cats.He was doing some sand rails and some other cool shit too.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
are Brent and Brian involved w eliminator anymore?

No.
Not sure what Bryant is doing these days?For quite a while he was involved with Reef sports ware.He always seems to do well at what ever he does.He's a rather intelligent guy,speaks like 5 languages.
Brent has a "management" position of sorts and doing well for himself.We text stupid jokes and stuff from time to time.We know each other's parents,kids,family,etc.

Team Eliminator

Reaction score
I don't know anything about MIC use

GregG

Reaction score
Texting with Brent at the moment.The early units were EXT callout while later units after the cat was let out of the bag so to speak were ELB and labeled as Eliminators.
As far as your question about Dave,(was a long time ago) I believe he was still Daves Custom Boats,doing mostly 19,21 and 22 Daytonas almost exclusively outboard builds.
He was custom ordering the hulls as blanks some were really out there with gel and color work.So as far as I can recall he wasn't really doing rigging for Eliminator,he was doing his own thing.Pretty sure he was doing mostly Eliminator hulls but I believe he did (and don't quote me on this) a Skater or two and a couple other cats.He was doing some sand rails and some other cool shit too.

Cool, thanks for the info :thumbsup Pictured below are a 1994 Eliminator Extreme, a 1996 DCB Extreme and then a 1999 Ultra 23XS which used the Extreme molds.

Attachments

• 1994EliminatorExtreme22OpenBow.jpg
    1994EliminatorExtreme22OpenBow.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 1995DCB22Extreme.jpg
    1995DCB22Extreme.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 1999Ultra23XSRaisedPadBottom.jpg
    1999Ultra23XSRaisedPadBottom.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 75

Ultra247

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. I like the gel. Please keep the pics coming through the build. I'm interested in seeing the end results.

I get questions about my boat sometimes and it's good to know where to send people for a new one if they are interested.

Q4mtxUS

Reaction score
... Ok, so goodtime$$. From the "new builds from the mold section"' my question is' Are you also Carrera boats?

Because;

Your 287 deckboat (although totally feckin hot) looks like Carrera 287 (and A/O, I know)

And your 21 deckboat? Is this the 19 gullwing with a different deck? I ask because, awhile ago, there was a post of a new "deck tooling" going onto a gullwing hull from Carrera boats.

Are these yours?

A caveat here, I've been:drink

Goodtime$

Reaction score
... Ok, so goodtime$$. From the "new builds from the mold section"' my question is' Are you also Carrera boats?

Because;

Your 287 deckboat (although totally feckin hot) looks like Carrera 287 (and A/O, I know)

And your 21 deckboat? Is this the 19 gullwing with a different deck? I ask because, awhile ago, there was a post of a new "deck tooling" going onto a gullwing hull from Carrera boats.

Are these yours?

A caveat here, I've been:drink

The 287 Party Deck is the American Offshore 2900 Sport Deck mold. We build all the American Offshores, long story short. The mold has been sitting for 6 years. I reached out to Art @ AO and made a deal to build from it with Tahiti Offshore HIN #.
American Offshore bought the Carrera 29 afterparty plug in 2007 and began testing it. Our deckboat has different sponsons, a larger center pod and the strakes and steps have been moved. The deck was tooled for quarter canopies and other seating options vs. the carrera.

The 21 Deckboat is the Ultra 21 Deckboat. Rusty @ Ultra is an old friend of mine and he is slammed with orders for the 23 Ultra Deck, 26 Deckboat, 27 Shadow and 28 Shadow Deck. SLAMMED. He has 14 boats in production as of today with more in the mold.

I made a deal with Rusty to build from the 21 Deckboat and TPR Molds, and we will be building the 21 deckboat bare hulls for ULTRA CUSTOM BOATS here in Hemet. We have a PO for a carbon layup 21 tunnel for Ultra.
I also have the 21 Stealth V-bottom mold here.

Im a jet boat guy, most of our customers are blythe boaters like me. So building smaller jet boats is easy for me. Ultra is in havasu now and that is big cat deckboat country. Im happy to keep the glass shop busy with small boats. We build them better then anyone can.

19 GULLWING is similar to the ROUSE 19 MOLD that was sold to California Performance but better. Complete bennett tuned bottom.
We build one a month usually, Jason Rouse is our sales guy and he brings them in. River layup is 600-660lbs. 100% vinylester.

All the Carrera/Aftershock molds are sitting down the street at the Forklift shop Ray owns. The only gem in there is the 25' COLE. Not sure if it would sell today but what a pretty boat.

IMG_3351.jpg
247XS getting service prior to the Ultra Regatta.

Goodtime$

Reaction score
Open Bow walk-through is way more popular. Our customer has little kids so the Cuddy Open Bow has great shade and storage.
Lightnings and Ultra walk through Open Bows
24XS_DSCF0014.jpg
247xs walk through.jpg
lightning1.jpg

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
13307407_844954125608508_5240122204152334287_n.jpg

ATT_1406150370808_908945_614212771939791_1092717322_n_zpsbzt4lalu.jpg

Is this the 21 deck you guys are building? I love these two boats. Both DCB Lightnings. Outboards are the only way to go.

Goodtime$

Reaction score
View attachment 493620

View attachment 493622

Is this the 21 deck you guys are building? I love these two boats. Both DCB Lightnings. Outboards are the only way to go.

Yes same TOM PAPP MOLD. IMG_3367.jpg

I love outboards, on my salt water boats we are OEM Suzuki. But the river buyer wants jet power in the 21 deckboat. The first two are going Dominator Pumps and LSA Motors.