WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sanger (Caution: wake boat content)

footer

looking for a v-drive
Reaction score
We're going to get a wakeboard boat. (Yes, I know it's not the most popular idea on RDP, but I'm willing to do whatever it takes to keep my kid stoked on going to the lake.) There's a dealer not too far away here in Wisconsin selling Sanger boats, and they look great for the price, but are a pretty rare brand up here. In doing online research I can find out everything I need to know about the big brands (Nautique, Mastercraft, Malibu, etc...), but there's no tests or reviews on Sanger. Do any of you West Coasters have first hand experience with Sanger's newer wake boat models? The model we're specifically interested in the 212 SL. Any feedback on their quality and performance would be appreciated. Thanks.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
We're going to get a wakeboard boat. (Yes, I know it's not the most popular idea on RDP, but I'm willing to do whatever it takes to keep my kid stoked on going to the lake.) There's a dealer not to far away selling Sanger boats, and they look great for the price, but are a pretty rare brand up here. In doing online research I can find out everything I need to know about the big brands (Nautique, Mastercraft, Malibu, etc...), but there's no tests or reviews on Sanger. Do any of you West Coasters have first hand experience with Sanger's newer wake boat models? The model we're specifically interested in the 212 SL. Any feedback on their quality and performance would be appreciated. Thanks.
Maxxed Out has a Sanger for sale....FYI.

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
Check out wakeworld and ask in the forums over there or search through there and see what people think of the boat.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
In General Sanger Quality is top notch, My Nephew has a mid 2000 Sanger Wake Boat and it is in great shape, never seen him have any issues at all with it.

Boat Bling

Reaction score
Wakeworld can be a good resource but not as many helpful posters around vs a few years ago. Everyone has their favorite brand especially when spending someone else's $, you'll be steered into a $125k Nautique G23 within the 1st 5 posts :D

Sangers are well built boats and have stayed simple while the big 3 (Malibu, Mastercraft, Nautique) have pushed the envelope with glass dashboards and luxury car-like features. Sanger is a West Coast brand with little penetration in other parts of the country so if you go to sell down the road your market will be limited. They tend to have deeper V hulls so they surf well with less weight the tradeoff being wakeboard speed will need to be faster to maintain a clean wake. This can be tough for young kids who are learning. Catching an edge is exponentially more painful at 21mph vs 18.

Unlike custom boats where you typically purchase direct from the factory or one of a few select dealers, the dealer plays a huge part in the wake boat ownership experience and is IMO far more important than the brand you end up in assuming you're buying new. A good dealer will go to bat for warranty issues, perform quick repairs in the middle of busy season, etc while others you may be on your own.

I'm not sure how far you are from the Minneapolis area but Minnesota Inboard is the highest volume Malibu dealer in the country and their service after the sale is outstanding. The Axis line is Malibu's price point brand and should be comparable to a Sanger. Go out and demo a few models from different dealers to find out what you like and more importantly, who wants to earn your long term business.

footer

looking for a v-drive
Reaction score
Wakeworld can be a good resource but not as many helpful posters around vs a few years ago. Everyone has their favorite brand especially when spending someone else's $, you'll be steered into a $125k Nautique G23 within the 1st 5 posts :D

Sangers are well built boats and have stayed simple while the big 3 (Malibu, Mastercraft, Nautique) have pushed the envelope with glass dashboards and luxury car-like features. Sanger is a West Coast brand with little penetration in other parts of the country so if you go to sell down the road your market will be limited. They tend to have deeper V hulls so they surf well with less weight the tradeoff being wakeboard speed will need to be faster to maintain a clean wake. This can be tough for young kids who are learning. Catching an edge is exponentially more painful at 21mph vs 18.

Unlike custom boats where you typically purchase direct from the factory or one of a few select dealers, the dealer plays a huge part in the wake boat ownership experience and is IMO far more important than the brand you end up in assuming you're buying new. A good dealer will go to bat for warranty issues, perform quick repairs in the middle of busy season, etc while others you may be on your own.

I'm not sure how far you are from the Minneapolis area but Minnesota Inboard is the highest volume Malibu dealer in the country and their service after the sale is outstanding. The Axis line is Malibu's price point brand and should be comparable to a Sanger. Go out and demo a few models from different dealers to find out what you like and more importantly, who wants to earn your long term business.

Thank you for the comments, Mr. Bling. We have the best Malibu dealer in Wisconsin here in town, and Axis is on our radar. The attractive factor about Sanger is they install more horsepower standard than Axis, 400 vs. 340. Thanks again.

Slippery

Reaction score

+1

We have a Malibu VLX and love it. We ended up with the 'Bu because we could get snap out carpet and we liked the tower MUCH better than the other brands. I've ridden in MC's and thought the towers were going to shake off the boat and had to keep restrapping the boards in the racks. I think the visibility is also much better because you're not forced to look through the tower supports.

We really liked what we saw online of the Sanger but at that time there was no dealer close to us. There is now a Sanger dealer in our area and I know a couple people who have them and they seem to really like them.

Just my 02 but put as much HP in it as you can afford and get the heater. We mooched out on the heater and have wished we had it on several occasions.

cheers

Dylan

Reaction score
Sanger makes a nice boat, but you may have resale problems outside of the southwest where they're somewhat known. I've only been in the older v210. I have owned 2 Mastercraft's and a Malibu. Love the Mastercraft, wasn't a huge fan of the Malibu. At the end of the day, get the one that's the best deal for your family. Also check out Moomba, Axis, and nautique.

Supercup

Reaction score
Some good comments above. Sanger makes a nice boat, but when you go to sell you will be happy if you have a Mastercraft, Natique or a Malibu. I had a Mastercraft barefoot boat years a go and recently bought a X45, bought both used and am a big fan of the brand - no issues with either. Grew up on Correct Craft and like that brand as well, but the new boats are crazy expensive.

I bought a 2006 X45 with 8.1L with 170 hours for $44,000 a few months ago. I looked for 6 months and when I found the deal I acted quick. The interior was in pretty rough shape, cover was shot and it had a few dings, but it cleaned up and we got new cover and will put in new interior this winter. Should be in it about $47k after all that and it is mechanically flawless.

The kids (12 & 14) are super stoked with it for wake boarding. They can bring some friends and I can be the designated driver. I know the day will come when they say hey Dad beat it, so like you I listened to what they wanted, instead of what I wanted and look forward to keep them boating as a family as long as possible.

Buy what you like and have good local support for. If you buy new remember the depreciation will be big, so if you can be patient and look hard you can find a nice deal at a substantial discount to move.

Good luck finding what works for you and your family!

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
So to hijack the thread a bit, where do you go boating in WI? Our family place in MN is a bit of a haul for the weekend, looking for something closer.

footer

looking for a v-drive
Reaction score
So to hijack the thread a bit, where do you go boating in WI? Our family place in MN is a bit of a haul for the weekend, looking for something closer.

We live just west of Milwaukee. I can hear the boats on Okauchee Lake from my house. So we're there at least once a week. We also have a cabin near Crivitz, and boat the Twin Bridge area of the Peshtigo River when we're up there. And once a year we do a big multi-family week long vacation up in God's Country on the Minocqua chain. There's 11,000 lakes in Wisconsin, and some great rivers. Plus the Mississippi, Green Bay, and Lake Michigan. Lots of options.