WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

1978 28' campbell For Sale

Sawtooth

Thanks for everything Dad
Reaction score
Completely restored 28 foot Campbell cruiser, Boat has 2.3 hours on it since being completely redone. Twin new Chevrolet 502ci/502hp motors from pan to carb. Both Casale V drives and the Z drive have been rebuilt. Both Power Glide transmissions fully rebuilt. Completely rewired with new custom wire loom. All new Gaffrig gauges. New throttle/trans controls. Complete new ARCO interior including wood. New custom built triple axel trailer with disc breaks. New bimini top. New towing cover. New teak swim step with stainless mounts. New aluminum fuel tanks. This was my dads dream boat and he devoted 5 + years into completely restoring it from stem to stern and port to starboard. This boat has had everything rebuilt or replaced, before his passing he had a marine survey done in order to help with the insurance value. The boat scored one notch under excellent because it did not have U.S.C.G. rated hoses which was one of the last things my dad replaced. The Boat will be able to be viewed in Lake Havasu October 17th thru the 31st. The asking price is $62,500.00, the truck in the picture is also available and a package deal can be worked if interested. The truck is a 1997 Dodge with 69,382 miles, 4 X 4 and has the turbo Cummins motor it is also a 5 speed.
Call/text to 626-533-3425 or email at sawtoothremodel@gmail with questions or to make a viewing appointment. Thanks for looking and please keep any negative comments to yourself.
338.JPG
341.jpg
342.JPG
347.JPG
344.JPG
343.JPG
363.jpg

Attachments

• 340.jpg
    340.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 219

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
So sad to see this go...I spoke to John several times during this rebuild...

RIP John and smooth sailing to Twice Times...

Sawtooth

Reaction score
Thanks for the nice comments guys, with all the blood sweat and tears my dad put into this it is tough to let it go but as with life things change and it is a shame to let something this nice just sit in the garage. Hopefully someone will recognize it for what it is and create years of enjoyment for their family and another generation of boaters to come.

Sawtooth

Reaction score
Found a couple more pictures so I thought I would add them. Real porcelain toilet no less, no plastic here.;)
348.JPG
349.JPG
352.JPG
365.jpg
b-twicetimes-20.jpg

Sawtooth

Reaction score
Such a cool boat...would be awesome on Powell

Yeah that was my dads plan, he was so looking forward to going up and staying on the boat for a week or so at a time. That was the main reason he bought the Dodge truck to pull it to Powell, unfortunately the only time the boat made it to Utah was to have Bill Sturgis do the interior before he relocated to Havasu.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Jaw dropper!!! So nice. I can't believe how much engine bay room there is!

bump

Reaction score
Your pops did things right!

Best of luck with the sale.

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Sawtooth
I will share it with the Campbell folks. She is a special build and way over the top. Very very nice.

Sawtooth

Reaction score
Sawtooth
I will share it with the Campbell folks. She is a special build and way over the top. Very very nice.

Thank you RB, my dad was a member of the Campbell boat owners association and there are some nice things said about him on their website. I did try a couple times to list the boat on their classifieds but could never get the page to load. Thanks for the nice words.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I gotta tell you I keep coming back to this thread to look at this amazing boat. It's so bad ass. Your dad did an awesome job on it.

bump

Reaction score
I gotta tell you I keep coming back to this thread to look at this amazing boat. It's so bad ass. Your dad did an awesome job on it.

I have a tab open on that page as well. That boat is the stuff Office day dreams are made of. We had a Spectra 24 in the 90s and we used to spend weekends on it at Parker. We'd get on Friday evening and get off Sunday evening. That was by far the best times I've had as an adult at Parker. Better than a house, a trailer, all of it. When I was a kid my favorite trips were at Bluewater when my folks would rent the Judges Tower and all us kids would "sleep" in there.

Sawtooth

Reaction score

Thank you Dj very kind words. I really believe this boat is what kept my dad going in life, he would get so excited talking to him on the phone telling me what he had done that day on his project. I used to shake my head back when I would go up to the lake to visit/help him/work on my clapped out canoe and no mater what time I would get into town, midnight 1 a.m. , he would drag me out to the garage to show me his progress.........I would give anything to have him there to show me one more time!!

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
What an amazing boat.......Hope you find a great home for her soon:thumbsup:thumbsup

TBulger

Reaction score
The true beauty of this was in the eyes, the value in the heart, of the original builder. I too have done this a few times and my advice to anyone trying to sell a labor of love, is to take the first genuine offer and be thankful for it. Good luck with the sale. :(

Sawtooth

Reaction score
The true beauty of this was in the eyes, the value in the heart, of the original builder. I too have done this a few times and my advice to anyone trying to sell a labor of love, is to take the first genuine offer and be thankful for it. Good luck with the sale. :(

To be honest here I'm not really sure how to take this, if I am reading this right are you saying that it is not really that nice, only nice in my dads eyes and the value was what he thought it was worth in his heart and not worth what I am asking and that I should be thankful if someone makes an offer. Honestly I want to tell you to F off but I hope I am missing something or reading your post wrong!!

Runs2rch

Reaction score
To be honest here I'm not really sure how to take this, if I am reading this right are you saying that it is not really that nice, only nice in my dads eyes and the value was what he thought it was worth in his heart and not worth what I am asking and that I should be thankful if someone makes an offer. Honestly I want to tell you to F off but I hope I am missing something or reading your post wrong!!

Yes yes you are missing something. It is a beyond beautiful boat. I grew up around Bud Bailey. I know his boat building genius, and how epic these boats were and still are.

What he is saying is that yes you are asking quite a bit more because of the connection and all of the hard restoration work your Dad put in.

Anyone that knows what is will give you an offer of about half what you are asking. Which is very very fair. You have a great boat there. It is just not valued at your asking price.

sergeantmike

Reaction score
I think you misread his intent. It's fabulous, but will always be worth more to you than a stranger because of your Pop's love for it.

Sawtooth

Reaction score
I knew better than to list this boat here on River Daves Place of Know it All's, I guess I got what I paid for!!! Thank you for polluting my thread with your negative opinion, I know, you think you are helping. You did a good job, that a boy, now get in line to pick up your trophy for participating.
Funny how nobody's shit is worth what they are asking when you don't own it! This really has nothing to do with an attachment to the boat because it was my dads, if that were the case I would keep it. I have had it for nearly 7 years and it has its own garage, it's not in the way, and costs nothing to sit there. I just figured it was a shame to let it rot away not being used and it could make some really nice memories for another family. As far as it being worth half what I'm asking I guess that is your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it but like I asked in my opening post keep your negative comments to yourself. Not that it matters and I don't have to explain my reasoning to anyone but I have hard copy paper receipts that add up to well over $100,000 for this boat not including any of my dads time as he did this as a love of the hobby. If you would have thought about it for just a minute before dropping your pants and opening your mouth about what I am asking you would know that just the interior and trailer cost more than your worth half what I'm asking comment.
And yes I know that with most boats you are lucky to get .50 cents on the dollar for them, I recently sold my Mako flat bottom drag boat that had never been off the trailer (as in new) that I had over $70,000 in just parts and none of my time for less than $30K. And before you fire back "see, worth less than half" I sold it for this because I painted it, I did all the machine work in the installation, I assembled the complete boat and a friend and myself built the dolly trailer so I had more room to play on price. And yes it was that nice!
IMG_0012.jpg
IMG_0009.jpg
IMG_0016.jpg

PVHCA

Reaction score
I think you took the comment 100% wrong, he wished you luck and gave his opinion/thoughts, no need to get so upset because in the end it's a material object. Just because someone says your dads boat is this or is that has no bearing on it's value in the plus or minus.

Have a drink and chill.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

I knew better than to list this boat here on River Daves Place of Know it All's, I guess I got what I paid for!!! Thank you for polluting my thread with your negative opinion, I know, you think you are helping. You did a good job, that a boy, now get in line to pick up your trophy for participating.
Funny how nobody's shit is worth what they are asking when you don't own it! This really has nothing to do with an attachment to the boat because it was my dads, if that were the case I would keep it. I have had it for nearly 7 years and it has its own garage, it's not in the way, and costs nothing to sit there. I just figured it was a shame to let it rot away not being used and it could make some really nice memories for another family. As far as it being worth half what I'm asking I guess that is your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it but like I asked in my opening post keep your negative comments to yourself. Not that it matters and I don't have to explain my reasoning to anyone but I have hard copy paper receipts that add up to well over $100,000 for this boat not including any of my dads time as he did this as a love of the hobby. If you would have thought about it for just a minute before dropping your pants and opening your mouth about what I am asking you would know that just the interior and trailer cost more than your worth half what I'm asking comment.
And yes I know that with most boats you are lucky to get .50 cents on the dollar for them, I recently sold my Mako flat bottom drag boat that had never been off the trailer (as in new) that I had over $70,000 in just parts and none of my time for less than $30K. And before you fire back "see, worth less than half" I sold it for this because I painted it, I did all the machine work in the installation, I assembled the complete boat and a friend and myself built the dolly trailer so I had more room to play on price. And yes it was that nice!
View attachment 457984
View attachment 457983
View attachment 457985

I know Tom well and can say you very much took his comment wrong. Tom has bought and sold many True custom one off boats that many people only dream of owning. So hes VERY familiar with the woes of trying to sell a beauty that has way more "invested" in it then it will ultimately fetch in a sale scenario. In all reality he was giving you a pointer on the sale. your market is VERY VERY limited unfortunately. I don't think anyone on here has said anything in a negative manner, in fact I read through the posts repeatedly prior to posting this.

I wont get into the other comments in your thread.

<-----RDP "know it all":finger

CampbellCarl

Reaction score

Chris, please please please. Tom Bulger couldn't/wouldn't intentionally hurt ANYBODY's feelings or intend to damage yours or anybody else's sale or spam if he had a gun to his head...Tom's just not built that way. He is perhaps the kindest, most generous man that I know.

You've taken Tom's intended as fatherly advice way WAY wrong. Guessing that he was only trying to caution you on selling with your heart versus your head.

Carl

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Chris, please please please. Tom Bulger couldn't/wouldn't intentionally hurt ANYBODY's feelings or intend to damage yours or anybody else's sale or spam if he had a gun to his head...Tom's just not built that way. He is perhaps the kindest, most generous man that I know.

You've taken Tom's intended as fatherly advice way WAY wrong. Guessing that he was only trying to caution you on selling with your heart versus your head.

Carl

Know it all [emoji35]

Sawtooth

Reaction score
Yes yes you are missing something. It is a beyond beautiful boat. I grew up around Bud Bailey. I know his boat building genius, and how epic these boats were and still are.

What he is saying is that yes you are asking quite a bit more because of the connection and all of the hard restoration work your Dad put in.

Anyone that knows what is will give you an offer of about half what you are asking. Which is very very fair. You have a great boat there. It is just not valued at your asking price.

should have quoted this