WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Any experience with Range Rovers?

Music to my Ears

Conducting Beautiful Music
Reaction score
My wife has always had a thing for either the Evoque or the LR4. Does anybody have any experience with either of these suv's? I know that the reliability isn't great but she's pretty set on one. (Not needed for any towing) Just want some first hand experience if anyone has any, other then the things I read online. Thanks!! :thumbup:

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
My wife has always had a thing for either the Evoque or the LR4. Does anybody have any experience with either of these suv's? I know that the reliability isn't great but she's pretty set on one. (Not needed for any towing) Just want some first hand experience if anyone has any, other then the things I read online. Thanks!! :thumbup:

Put a bicycle rack on it. And keep a bike on it. :D

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Extended warranty claims adjuster was in shop the other day , we asked what vehicle gets the most warranty calls on : Land / Range Rovers hands down ! If you get one , make sure it's new with a warranty .

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I would buy a BMW X5 Hybrid. Word is that they will go 1200 - 1400 miles between fill ups. Sticker price of $59K should be in line with what a Rover costs.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
My years at Caddy this was definitely the case, customers always complaining about a 1200 lease payment on a ford edge, .....as their range rover was in the shop all the time and that was the rental car, payment doesn't adjust down :) beautiful vehicles, and they must be nice, I once had a customer walk and by another Range Rover AFTER their previous one burned down on them on a family vacation the week before, still went back to get another.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
A vehicle to be leased and not owned.

Huge price drop in value as they age.

One of my customers had one. He got 140,000 on it. But he said it was costing him over $8000 a year to keep it on the road. Always something wrong.

He now drives a Prius! LOL I tease him it is his daughter's car.

If you get one, maybe secure a lease trade in, and get the major warranty package.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Built for women....

I have never been in a more uncomfortable car. Everything felt like it was designed for someone that was 5'4"

I don't have experience with some of the newer ones. They look good but I would definatley lease vs. buy.:cool

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
The LR4 came out in 2005, and while it's had a few cosmetic updates, is largely the same vehicle.
Believe it or not, the LR4's reliability is about average compared to other cars, if industry reports are to be believed...which is outstanding for a Land Rover product IMHO :D
So if her heart is set on an LR4, that would be the one to get.

My buddy has nearly 130k miles on his 2006, I've been waiting for it to grenade for years but he still drives it daily.

But if it's my money, I'm hesitant to own one...lease would be better.

hallett21

Reaction score
Get the warranty. When it's running they are great. The other 60% of the time see adding bicycle rack, wear good walking shoes, etc

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I had a friend that had a Range Rover. She was pretty lucky cause she was really hot a found a mechanic that wanted her bad so it usually cost her about half when it was in the shop. She said it was costing her just under a grand a month in mechanic/maintenance bills.

Taboma

Reaction score
Has your wife driven a new Porsche Macan S ? My wife's looking to replace her Lexus GX470, we drove a new Macan last weekend ($67K), hauls ass, drives like a sports car (As much as any SUV can) and the interior is gorgeous :thumbup::D

That's the one I'm gently coaxing her towards.

The other one we drove and really liked was the Audi Q5 TDI and loaded it up it's about $ 10K less than a moderately optioned Macan.

We've been looking for about 8 months now :smackhead, this time I've told her it's her decision, I'm just chauffeuring her around and acting as a consultant / negotiator (Should we actually get to the negotiating stage :rolleyes )

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Has your wife driven a new Porsche Macan S ? My wife's looking to replace her Lexus GX470, we drove a new Macan last weekend ($67K), hauls ass, drives like a sports car (As much as any SUV can) and the interior is gorgeous :thumbup::D

That's the one I'm gently coaxing her towards.

The other one we drove and really liked was the Audi Q5 TDI and loaded it up it's about $ 10K less than a moderately optioned Macan.

We've been looking for about 8 months now :smackhead, this time I've told her it's her decision, I'm just chauffeuring her around and acting as a consultant / negotiator (Should we actually get to the negotiating stage :rolleyes )

The Macan is the yoga pants of SUVs. My wife would like one too.

To the OP - buy something, ANYTHING else.

Tank

Reaction score
My buddy opened and owned the Ventura range rover dealership. Said hands down they made a killing on repair work barely anything on sales.

They break...a lot.

Tank

Reaction score
Look at the Ford Exploder. They can be ordered and tricked out to look close to a Land Rover and you won't be at the dealership everyday. [emoji50]

Agreed. Or that little jeep liberty. Both look like range rivers. And I'm not really a ford or Chrysler guy but those are both sexy cars.

RodnJen

Reaction score
To the OP, no. That being said she's had 3 SUV's in the last ten years 2005 ML350, 2008 Acadia and 2012 X5 35d. Acadia was POS, really liked the ML (was great after they replaced the engine after 10k miles), but she LOVES her X5 diesel. She occasionally mentions how bitchen the RR's look, I ignore her.

Music to my Ears

Reaction score
Look at the Ford Exploder. They can be ordered and tricked out to look close to a Land Rover and you won't be at the dealership everyday. [emoji50]

That's one of the sun's I have suggested she take a look at. The Sport model is pretty sweet.

I would buy a BMW X5 Hybrid. Word is that they will go 1200 - 1400 miles between fill ups. Sticker price of $59K should be in line with what a Rover costs.

I'll check it out. Thanks!

The LR4 came out in 2005, and while it's had a few cosmetic updates, is largely the same vehicle.
Believe it or not, the LR4's reliability is about average compared to other cars, if industry reports are to be believed...which is outstanding for a Land Rover product IMHO :D
So if her heart is set on an LR4, that would be the one to get.

My buddy has nearly 130k miles on his 2006, I've been waiting for it to grenade for years but he still drives it daily.

But if it's my money, I'm hesitant to own one...lease would be better.

I hear you on the lease. I'm curious how they lease out.

Music to my Ears

Reaction score
Can you give us some kind of budget to work with so we can tell you what we would buy instead? :D

Hey - I have been known to buy some really impractical stuff and keep it. :D Happy wife - happy life....

SJP

Agreed! We really haven't set a budget yet, just trying to get a feel for what you can get for your $$ right now.

Taboma

Reaction score
The Macan is the yoga pants of SUVs. My wife would like one too.

HA HA HA --- funny, although I've learned the hard way how NOT to use cliche comparisons as a sales tactic with my wife of 36 years. I found her a really sweet super low miles, loaded 14' Mercedes SLK 350. I think I was doing good right up until I attempted to toss out a compliment by mentioning how I mostly see "Cougars" driving them ---- OH OH :yikes I was told right then " I'm no FOOOCKIN COUGAR " and she proceeded to walk off the lot, while I'm rolling on the asphalt :lmao Sales dude had no idea what had just happened :yikes

Just a reminder that you never really know women ---- 67 and still learning daily :D

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
We have a 2008 Range Rover with 70k miles and other than maintenance have not had an issue, no scratch that we did have the air conditioner quit working ( cost about $900 to fix) its been a great car, when i bought it i planned on selling it when the warranty expired but it has been trouble free and great to drive so we kept it.

Attachments

• IMG_2801.jpg
    IMG_2801.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 12

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
oops. I seem to have fallen into an Armenian baller thread. sorry! carry on!

Enen

Reaction score
Doesn't OCM Tim's wife drive one?

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
We have a 2008 Range Rover with 70k miles and other than maintenance have not had an issue, no scratch that we did have the air conditioner quit working ( cost about $900 to fix) its been a great car, when i bought it i planned on selling it when the warranty expired but it has been trouble free and great to drive so we kept it.

How is she running now? I'm looking at 2013. Same color. The 2 threads I found on here kind of scare me. Hows the mpg?

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Funny. The wife and I were just out looking at a 2012. Still looking.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Funny. The wife and I were just out looking at a 2012. Still looking.

They seem like a good buy for the class of SUV. I looked at the ML350, but wasn't too impressed. The X5 is cool, but the Range has more power for less.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
We have an ml 350. Great lilsuv with tons of room inside

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
A good friend has an Discovery, going on 10 years old and 150k miles.

He says it's been the most trouble-free vehicles he's ever owned.

Music to my Ears

Reaction score
My wife ended up leasing the Evoque. She loves it and it's been trouble free so far, but only has about 15k miles on it. We'll be out of the car by 30k miles.

Fabhouse

Reaction score
Had a Discovery and LR3, both were great cars, and super capable off road. Bought a 2010 RR Sport recently, opted to get the warranty this time. If you buy one make sure you get the 5.0l engine, night and day difference to the 4.2 or 4.4.

Fabhouse

Reaction score
Forgot-MPG is 14.9 average on the dash. Might get 18 on the highway.