WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2015 Malibu Wakesetter 22VLX

Wakebrdr94

Reaction score
Once again I am here to give a review of a roll bar boat. Last year i had a 2014 Malibu VLX, and upgraded this last year to a 2015 VLX as it was redesigned for 2015. It went from a 21' boat to a 22' boat. It was given 4" more freeboard, and a 2" wider beam. Along with a few other cool upgrades which I will go into detail below.

The 22VLX was really improved over its predecessor. It still drives like a sports car, but the extra freeboard definitely gives you a better feeling while sitting in the boat as it is deeper, especially if you have kids. I have a 5 year old who loves to sit in the bow, and that is where I noticed it the most. Deeper, and gives me a safer feeling if he is up there. Of course he doesn't like it as he can't see over the bow now, but he'll grow into it :). Along with the added freeboard, flip up seating was added so that it gives two addition seat backs for passengers. Since most of the action takes place behind these boats, it allows for other passengers to face the rear more comfortably. Of course this works when there are only a couple a people in the boat, if you have 8 or more people, you probably would not use this feature. More freeboard also means deeper storage. You get a drop in cooler and trash can under the starboard side rear seats, and plenty of storage under the rest of the seats, as well as the two large lockers in the rear.

A big improvement over the previous years is the new helm that Malibu introduced this year. You have a 12" touch display that shows all your gauges and information, and a 7" touch screen which controls items such as lights, blowers, stereo, etc. The screens are nice and bright, and do not produce the glare you think they would while in the bright sunlight. The system feels like an ipad, and the touch commands are just as fast. Although it looks like a lot on the screen, it is really very intuitive. You have your speedo and tach, and you can switch between ballast and depth information (on the same screen) while still viewing the speed. The 12" screen also controls your wedge and surfgate functions, but you also have an "analog" control for that as well. You can also plug in a camera or video system to view through the 12" screen. The 7" touch screen also has maps built into it, of course you have to buy the SD card with the map info, but it is a nice feature if you venture outside your normal boating areas. The boat is a push button start, and you enter your start code through the 7" screen. Malibu also has a back up ignition where you would use a key, should you have a screen failure. While it is unlikely, it helps gives piece of mind.

The "analog" control to the left of the steering wheel is similar to the BMW sport knob. with the knob you can control cruise control speed, as well and volume and skiping tracks with the stereo. You also get wedge and surfgate controls as well. The thought behind this is, while it is nice to have the ipad feel, there really is no physical touch to it, you cant press glass without looking and know what you are pressing. The analog controls gives you that sense of touch so that you can drive, and not take your eyes off the horizon. Kind of like driving your car, and turning the volume up without looking.

Wakeboarding and wakesurfing, two items of hot debate here, but both can be fun. If you're a wakeboarder, the wake behind the new hull is sick. With the stock ballast and Power Wedge 2 it is more than enough. The wedge simulates 1500lbs of ballast, by sucking the rear of the boat deeper into the water giving you a bigger footprint, hence enhancing the wake. The wedge is also adjustable, so you can make the wake steeper with the touch of a button. The wedge was also redesigned to have a "negative" angle, which helps get the boat on plane faster. If the motor senses a struggle, the wedge will automatically go into the "lift" mode, then when you are at speed, will set back into the position is was set at for the rider. Definitely a fuel saver, and helps reduce he need for a motor upgrade, which can be pretty expensive as we know.
Surfgate is awesome if you like surfing. No more leaning the boat, moving ballast around, telling people to sit in on one side of the boat, etc. now you run the boat level, people sit where they want, and the gate produces a surfable wave for you. It automatically deploys and retracts, so that driving the boat is easy. press a button and you can switch the side the wave is produced on. When your done, drain the ballast, with one button and you are ready to go wherever.

For sound I went with Exile again as I love their product. I deleted the factory system and swapped it all out to Exile. It looks great and the sound is impressive. The stock system is good, but I like custom items ;)

In all, I really love the new boat over the previous version. If there are any fellow board members looking to switch to a wakeboat, definitely give Malibu a look. I'm on my 4th Malibu, and they seem to just keep improving on an already great product.

New helm, even has a phone holder there for you

I put a rear view camera on the rear so I could see if anyone was behind me in the water if I had to move

Picture with the flip seating up

Power Wedge 2

Surfgate

Enen

Reaction score
Great review. I really like the Malibu product. Wakeboard boats have made tremendous advancements in recent years. They handle rough water much better. How long does it take you to fill and dump your ballast tanks? They really are a versatile boat design. It is hard to beat the modern wakeboard boats for a fun day on the water.

Wakebrdr94

Reaction score
Great review. I really like the Malibu product. Wakeboard boats have made tremendous advancements in recent years. They handle rough water much better. How long does it take you to fill and dump your ballast tanks? They really are a versatile boat design. It is hard to beat the modern wakeboard boats for a fun day on the water.

Rough water ride is the biggest draw back compared to some of the go fast boats that just skim across the chop at 50-60+ mph. As far as amenities go, I think wake boats have a lot to offer. Sometimes I think some of it is over the top, but if people want it, it's available. Ballast takes about 5 mins to fill, and thats the stock ballast tanks. Usually the bow and rear tanks fill pretty quickly, but the center tank is the largest and takes the most time. The nice thing is Malibu finally went to a 1" hose which allows for faster fill times than the 3/4" inch hose they were using before.

Thanks for the compliments

bocco

Reaction score
So what is the price of this boat?

When you fill all of the tanks do you lose that extra free board?

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
With all the new high end rollbar boats going to LCD screens. Is there any concern about longevity? If a screen goes down do you loose the ability to run the boat? Sweet ride. Love the color and layout.

Wakebrdr94

Reaction score
So what is the price of this boat?

When you fill all of the tanks do you lose that extra free board?

Price can really vary, even when looking at the same model boat. You can have a $20k-$25k swing on the same boat. You start adding metal flake, a heater, a tower upgrade, motor upgrade, etc, you can really drive the price up fast. Like other manufacturers, a lot with a boat is a la carte. Generally you start mid 80's to low 90's to start, but you can go well above those numbers based on options.

As far as ballast goes, you don't lose much freeboard. Again, when I'm with my family and others just having fun, I use factory ballast and it is plenty, I would say I'd lose maybe 1/2". But when I ride with my buddy's who ride at a pro level, even when we weight the boat heavily with ballast beyond the stock factory weight, we probably lower the boat about 2" into the water.

With all the new high end rollbar boats going to LCD screens. Is there any concern about longevity? If a screen goes down do you loose the ability to run the boat? Sweet ride. Love the color and layout.

That is a great question and valid concern. one of the main reasons I upgraded was I really felt the new system was way improved over 2014. I think Malibu really did their homework on this on. I know there were a few bugs in the first run of boats, but those were resolved with software updates. I've only heard one instance where the back up key was needed to start the boat, but considering how many units they have been pumping out, I believe it has been a big hit. But, there are those who don't think the electronics belong in a boat and don't trust them. Malibu also makes the Axis line, which gives you all of the same functions, but with analogs and toggle switches. (and runs about 20-25k less)

There is a video going over the screen development, which gives more info.

[video=youtube;AONrofSS72M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AONrofSS72M[/video]