WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Shaft Packing question...

Durangobill

Reaction score
I've read Ron Fasola's directions on shaft packing, but here is what I have. My Suenos shaft packing.JPG question is, do I pack around the shaft in the brass fitting, or above that in the hose? I'm leaking pretty good so I need to do this before next spring.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
I've read Ron Fasola's directions on shaft packing, but here is what I have. My View attachment 446574 question is, do I pack around the shaft in the brass fitting, or above that in the hose? I'm leaking pretty good so I need to do this before next spring.

You're leaking there? Between the shaft log and the rubber hose? If so, shitcan the hose and buy some new. Clean the shaft log well and tighten the shit out of a new hose clamp. Ron's article is probably talking about the seal at the other end of the black hose. There should be a seal (really old might be a rope seal, newer styles are a molded or billet with seals built inside to keep water on the right side of the boat) where the propshaft exits that black hose and heads toward the vdrive.

Durangobill

Reaction score
Ok, the end of the stubber hose has a bearing fitting that has a grease zert on it. The water is coming out of the end of the hose. I packed the black hose and it slowed the leak down but if you are saying that I just need to replace the hose and then tighten it down that is great.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Looking at the hose it looks very old and grease/oil impregnated. See how it's kinda rolled and swelled out of shape? I'd start with new piece of rubber hose and clean the mating surfaces before installing. I'd also double clamp each end with the hose clamps 180* from each other.

Edit...and check the distance from the prop to the rudder and make sure that the propshaft safety collar is something less in distance from the collar to the propshaft shaft log seal.

Durangobill

Reaction score
Ok, I think I'm gonna upgrade to PSS shaft seal (thoughts?) and I was wondering what the diameter of the shaft is...the storage is blocked by snow so I thought I'd ask. Very stoked for boating this year...Powell 3x...

Thanks--Bill

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Bill
Most of the Campbell's came stock with 1" prop shafts, unless it had big power added, in which case it might have been upgraded to 1 1/8 or could even be 1 1/4??

Rickybobby

Reaction score
PM me if your interested in Ron's # to walk you through the change out??