WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anchor's Away!

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Dude running the chain brake either fucked up, or something failed, I would have run like a little girl :D

[video=youtube_https;a-XlbUDPt7A]https://youtu.be/a-XlbUDPt7A[/video]

There's a lot of scrap steel at the bottom of the ocean somewhere :p

downriver34

Reaction score
Dude running the chain brake either fucked up, or something failed, I would have run like a little girl :D

[video=youtube_https;a-XlbUDPt7A]https://youtu.be/a-XlbUDPt7A[/video]

There's a lot of scrap steel at the bottom of the ocean somewhere :p

HE SAID WAT DAHHHHH FAWKKKKKK BOI!!!!!

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
you dumbass .............

It's cooled off by now .

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
you dumbass .............

It's cooled off by now .

I would imagine that that kinda chain and the anchor at the end is a pretty penny, if it was in shallow enough water they probably would send a diver down with cable to hook that fucker and bring it back. :p

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
don't leave home without it .........

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
they should run a box anchor and then they wouldn't need a chain. :D My dad while growing up in the north east of England, used to salvage anchors and chains with his diving buddies for extra money. I forget the exact story on one in particular everyone was looking for, something historically significant from hundreds of years ago.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I don't have a clue how they work, but looks like for what ever reason it's not going down and he keeps loosening the clutch until it's too late.:yikes

poncho

Reaction score
I don't have a clue how they work, but looks like for what ever reason it's not going down and he keeps loosening the clutch until it's too late.:yikes

I've done this ton's, it's basically a big drum brake...he let it get rolling too fast and lost it....it gets real hard to be patient if you are headed to town or something and just want to finish.

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Wow, I would have thought the 'bitter end' would have been secured in the hold somehow:yikes:

OR

JRider

Reaction score

Here's another good one.

[video=youtube_https;b7pRfix_sNg]https://youtu.be/b7pRfix_sNg[/video]

What does "10th shot on deck" mean?

On a side note, I would not want to be anywhere near that death wish.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Thats the same basic clutch and brake draw-works design that rigs and other hoisting apparatus use.

The way it stopped then ran away indicates a failure in the pad or linkage, the fact that it caught fire in one spot initially makes me think that they were grossly out of adjustment. The drum bands require adjustment to contact the drum properly as the band tension is applied with the handle.
It is also possible that the draw works was simply underrated for the task, and they probably have had trouble before with it.
He should have been able to stop it with one hand if the brakes were working properly. On oil rigs it is routine to have well over 300,000 lbs of string weight raised and lowered with ease, but most draw works on rigs have hydromatic (water) or dynomatic (electric) auxiliary inertia brakes to slow it down or control decent before applying the hand drum brakes.

When they fail on a rig, it is literally a vertical train wreck.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Wow, I would have thought the 'bitter end' would have been secured in the hold somehow:yikes:

OR

I'm no ship expert, but that's probably the LAST thing you want at that point!:yikes:D

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
In most ship's chain lockers the bitter end would be attached to a pad eye, usually via a "weak-breakaway". The length of the chain is marked in "shots", the entire length of the last shot is painted red. One shot being 15 fathoms (90 feet). Ships tend to carry 10 to 14 shots of chain. Most anchor windlass systems are not capable of lifting the entire weight of the anchor and all of the chain if it were suspended "straight up and down" within the water. Ships anchor in shallow anchorage areas, with a typical "scope" of 3-5 to 1, depending on bottom conditions and weather. Ships that have a need to anchor in very deep water use cable and anchor deployed and recovered via large drum winch systems.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I'm no ship expert, but that's probably the LAST thing you want at that point!:yikes:D

That what my Navy buddies tell me as well.

apparently no mount point is strong enough to hold a 100+ ton chain in a runaway condition so they insert an intentional "weak link" to xfer the break to the chain vs ripping the transom of the ship apart.

UD

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
"I'm no ship expert, but that's probably the LAST thing you want at that point!"

Agreed, just didn't start brain before I posted. Probably would have pulled structure loose and
sunk the SOB. What a mess.

Hope all inmates have a good turkey day. In fact, I believe it's time for some "101 Turkey" myself.

OR

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
They can drag for it pretty easily with all that chain down there, I would think?

Apparently its pretty common task to retrieve at least in shallower places - divers hook a chain to a suitable tug or rig designed to handle it.

UD

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
They can drag for it pretty easily with all that chain down there, I would think?

Yes, high horsepower special "anchor handling vessels" drag huge grappling hooks attached to large towing cable which operates from a large aft deck winch. These winches are made just for towing and anchor handling. It is difficult, dangerous work made somewhat easier if the chain is stretched out over the bottom, providing a larger target for the grappling hook as it is drug along the bottom. Snagging the chain is just the start of the process. Then they must haul it up, securing each section (stopping it off), then haul another section until they get to the anchor.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
That would be sketych being around a runaway anchor chain.

Reminds me of another anchor fail situation -
[video=youtube;y3WveEZykJ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3WveEZykJ8[/video]