WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

giving up on my Traeger

LomitaBob

Reaction score
So I am a BBQ purist, I like old school delicious BBQ that doesn't really need sauce. I have been all over the us and been to most of the "famous" spots. I taught myself to BBQ and Smoke meat on a regular cheap offset smoker and got to where I was cranking our competition quality meat, then I bought the traeger. I have had it for 2 years and was super stoked in the beginning. but I have found that as easy as it is, the meat just doesn't come out as good. I think the small fan that runs in it dries out the meat a bit. I also have never had much smoke flavor. this weekend I did 10 tri tips on "smoke" for 3 1/2 hours then wrapped them for a bit. the smoke ring was awesome, thick and pink all the way around but the flavor just wasn't there. so after 2 years of doing it the easy way I think I am gonna go back to an old school offset smoker/grill

anyone else feel the same after owing a traeger for a while?

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
So I am a BBQ purist, I like old school delicious BBQ that doesn't really need sauce. I have been all over the us and been to most of the "famous" spots. I taught myself to BBQ and Smoke meat on a regular cheap offset smoker and got to where I was cranking our competition quality meat, then I bought the traeger. I have had it for 2 years and was super stoked in the beginning. but I have found that as easy as it is, the meat just doesn't come out as good. I think the small fan that runs in it dries out the meat a bit. I also have never had much smoke flavor. this weekend I did 10 tri tips on "smoke" for 3 1/2 hours then wrapped them for a bit. the smoke ring was awesome, thick and pink all the way around but the flavor just wasn't there. so after 2 years of doing it the easy way I think I am gonna go back to an old school offset smoker/grill

Based on what you're saying I'd ask how many different types of wood/pellets have you tried?

I have had great luck with the Pacific Pellets gourmet blend.......better for the pork shoulders for sure at our house.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
https://memphisgrills.com/

These guys aren't cheap by any means, but way higher quality, a lot more control on the temperature and the fan pulses, so you get a better smoke, more consistent temp etc.

TeamGreene

Reaction score
Can't comment on a Traeger as I've never used one although I have had some meat from one and it was good.

But I did a pork shoulder on my UDS with Kingsford Blue and oak chunks Saturday it was the bomb! It is a little more work but the meat is so good.

Ibeplumbing

Reaction score
I've always been of the opinion that when it comes to bbq, the more work it takes, the better the finished product. I've never had anything off a pellet smoker that I would say had the same flavor and overall quality of an offset or wood/charcoal burning smoker. That's not to say pellets aren't good. They can still be very good, and are sure much easier. For the bbq purists or someone who is just really into bbq it's really a difference. Personally to me, anything that's a true wood burning smoker is the best. That can be offsets, brick setups or anything else like that. Next step down to me is charcoal base with wood blocks added. Next down being a UDS style. Then pellets. Then electrics. That's my personal bbq pallet. To me the UDS is a good compromise. You get "real" bbq smoke and flavor but less work than a offset or true wood burning. I love pellets for the ease of use, but if I'm going to smoke something I would rather put in some extra work to get the results I want

DURAMAXYFZ

Reaction score
I love my Traeger, it has a thousand hours on it and would never get rid of it, But there is no smoke flavor to it. And I've tried a lot of pellets. I have a WSM that I love too, but you have to babysit it. Water pans are bad for bark production, good for smoke ring, But there is zero flavor in a smoke ring, only appearance.

toyaddiction

Reaction score
https://memphisgrills.com/

These guys aren't cheap by any means, but way higher quality, a lot more control on the temperature and the fan pulses, so you get a better smoke, more consistent temp etc.

The Memphis is by far the best. I have one at home, use it almost every day and a Green Mountain in Havasu. Way more smoke flavor and perfect temperature control on the Memphis. Its always a crapshoot on the Green Mountain when the meat is done. The Green Mountain also leaks grease all over the concrete. Pisses me off. Its just hard to justify 4 grand for the Memphis in Havasu when you only use it 20 times a year. I get the perfect blend wood from California Pellet Grills in Anaheim. It seems to work the best for everything.

LomitaBob

Reaction score
I have tried water pans, spraying the meat down as it cooks, traeger pellets, green mountain pellets, and a few other brands. Im still not impressed. I think if you don't have big money for an old hickory or one of the other commercial type smokers like this the end result just isn't the same. also I never found the traeger to be as versatile as advertised. it doesn't "grill" very well. seemed like the temp gust wasn't high enough for a good sear and mine doesn't really get hot enough for pizza either.

I have already talked to the manager at my local Costco and he is willing to take back my BBQ. I am going to go with an Old Country Pecos smoker. I saw a youtube series called BBQwithFranklin where Aaron Franklin of Franklins BBQ in Austin does a cooking show and uses one of these.

I remember when I was younger getting up at 2 a.m. to start a brisket and having to babysit the fire all day and I think it takes true skill to cook this way. I know the meat was better and after having to watch it and really work for it, the meat just seemed that much better. it also gave me an excuse to just chill and drink beers all day!

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
I have tried water pans, spraying the meat down as it cooks, traeger pellets, green mountain pellets, and a few other brands. Im still not impressed. I think if you don't have big money for an old hickory or one of the other commercial type smokers like this the end result just isn't the same. also I never found the traeger to be as versatile as advertised. it doesn't "grill" very well. seemed like the temp gust wasn't high enough for a good sear and mine doesn't really get hot enough for pizza either.

I have already talked to the manager at my local Costco and he is willing to take back my BBQ. I am going to go with an Old Country Pecos smoker. I saw a youtube series called BBQwithFranklin where Aaron Franklin of Franklins BBQ in Austin does a cooking show and uses one of these.

I remember when I was younger getting up at 2 a.m. to start a brisket and having to babysit the fire all day and I think it takes true skill to cook this way. I know the meat was better and after having to watch it and really work for it, the meat just seemed that much better. it also gave me an excuse to just chill and drink beers all day!

I do agree with you. They have their place, but we just use ours at the river for set it and forget it type meats like shoulder and brisket for when we're on the water all day. It's not nearly as good as the stuff we put out at home. Also, the heat issue was my biggest gripe as well. My Memphis will get up to 600+. More than enough for pizza or searing. My traeger never made it to 400...

An old style wood burner is still the most fun if you have the skill [emoji106]

LomitaBob

Reaction score
I do agree with you. They have their place, but we just use ours at the river for set it and forget it type meats like shoulder and brisket for when we're on the water all day. It's not nearly as good as the stuff we put out at home. Also, the heat issue was my biggest gripe as well. My Memphis will get up to 600+. More than enough for pizza or searing. My traeger never made it to 400...

An old style wood burner is still the most fun if you have the skill [emoji106]

if I had a river/vacation house I think the traeger would be ideal! but i's be po

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
If there willing to take it back go for it and give something else a try.

Like mentioned the pellet smokers aren't going to give you the same smoke taste as a offset wood burner. Honestly you would be surprised how many people don't like food that is over smoked. I have cooked up some stuff for people that don't like smoked meat and they were stoked with the flavor a and taste.

I am really happy with my gmg for what I paid and what it delivers. The biggest thing is the convenience. My Uds has been used maybe 3x in the last 2 years because it's a ton more work for a spur of the moment cook.

I flip a switch now turn up the heat and make sure pellets are loaded and we're cooking. I have been through 2 40lb bags of pellets in the past 3 months.

The key is just getting out there and creating good bbq [emoji41][emoji106][emoji631][emoji481]

poncho

Reaction score
If there willing to take it back go for it and give something else a try.

Like mentioned the pellet smokers aren't going to give you the same smoke taste as a offset wood burner. Honestly you would be surprised how many people don't like food that is over smoked. I have cooked up some stuff for people that don't like smoked meat and they were stoked with the flavor a and taste.

I am really happy with my gmg for what I paid and what it delivers. The biggest thing is the convenience. My Uds has been used maybe 3x in the last 2 years because it's a ton more work for a spur of the moment cook.

I flip a switch now turn up the heat and make sure pellets are loaded and we're cooking. I have been through 2 40lb bags of pellets in the past 3 months.

The key is just getting out there and creating good bbq [emoji41][emoji106][emoji631][emoji481]

I just got home from buying the GMG, stainless top with Wi-Fi, guy gave it to me for $600.00 with cover. Do you have a favorite pellet?..i grabbed a bag of Texas mix.

Thanks

boat527

Reaction score
I've had mine for over 15 years, replaced the control panel once...

are you prepping your meat? do you select them with lots of marbleing?

Doesnt matter what grill you have, its all about time, seasoning, heat, prep and the cut you are using... Any meat will dry out if you over cook it..

Practice practice practice... I have had 2 traegers, 3 TECS, a PGS, multiple Webers and have cooked ( grilled ) on basically everything from
a DCS to a Lynx.. Cooking on a grill is a pain the ass but its got better for me when I started listing to expert grill guys about time, heat and seasoning deal.

Any grill is a good grill once you get used to it.. Seriously, not bashing at ALL.. I've burnt perfect pieces of meat to a crisp on my TEC and over cooked on my Treager, it happens...

Good luck to you, I hope it works out.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I just got home from buying the GMG, stainless top with Wi-Fi, guy gave it to me for $600.00 with cover. Do you have a favorite pellet?..i grabbed a bag of Texas mix.

Thanks

I used the 2 bags that they included with the smoker and they were good (lumber jack). I just bought some pellets off amazon that get good reviews.

Cooking pellets...perfect mix

I will let you know what I think after I use them[emoji41]

bryzmon

Not a Member
Reaction score

One thing to try, closing the exhaust cap a little to hold more smoke in for a longer time. Also, some guys will put a foam gasket around the door to hold more in. On another note, I have been using the Treager "premium pellets" - seems like they leave less ash in the pot...I still shop vac it out after every few cooks though.

oscar36

Reaction score
I really enjoy my Traeger! I cook everything on it. The best pellets I have found are Lumber Jack. I go in with 25 or so other pellet grillers and we get bulk orders which really make the pellets affordable. The only thing I have heard the 100% fruit woods from them dont work so well.

poncho

Reaction score
I really enjoy my Traeger! I cook everything on it. The best pellets I have found are Lumber Jack. I go in with 25 or so other pellet grillers and we get bulk orders which really make the pellets affordable. The only thing I would say I have heard the 100% fruit woods from them done work so well.

Just ordered some...thanks

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Smoking is really all about the prep. I dont like smoke flavor. I like tender meat. I always use a pan of water or apple juice or whatever you want to experiment with. If your meet is dry then your over cooking it or cooking it too fast. Keep your temps low and consistent. Get a good electronic thermometer.

If you don't want your treager I might be interested in it.

Bigmutha

Reaction score
I love my Traeger, it's very easy to use and the food comes out great!

dave29

Reaction score
I wanted to cook a Boston Butt yesterday but it was -5 degrees when I got up and 15 degrees at 12:30pm when I wanted to put on the meat. Decided to pass on my smoker and instead used my Weber BBQ and indoor oven. I injected the butt with apple juice then applied rub and let it sit for 1 hour. Meanwhile, I wrapped oak wood chips in foil and poked holes in the foil. I put the chips under the grill grate and then filled a stainless steel cup full of water and placed it on top of the grate. Heated the bbq to 350 degrees. Placed the butt on a rack in an aluminum pan inside the bbq. I let it smoke for 90 minutes then pulled it. I brought it inside, placed it in another aluminum pan on a rack. Added 3 cups of apple juice, put in the heat probe and covered it with foil.
I put it in the oven at 350 degrees until the internal temp reached 202 degrees then pulled it and let it rest for 1 hour covered in a blanket with the meat still in the pan with the foil on it.
I cut into it and it was soooooo moist and tender. I think part of the reason is that I trimmed no fat and cooked it with the fat cap up.
The reason i'm posting this is??.sometimes there are different reasons why something is not working and you need to work through it. There is no way the way I cooked this meat should have been as good as my Yoder stick burner but it was. I wouldn't give up yet. Cooking is fun and hopefully the fun will come back to you whether it's with the Traeger or some other smoker.
Best of luck to you.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
I wanted to cook a Boston Butt yesterday but it was -5 degrees when I got up and 15 degrees at 12:30pm when I wanted to put on the meat. Decided to pass on my smoker and instead used my Weber BBQ and indoor oven. I injected the butt with apple juice then applied rub and let it sit for 1 hour. Meanwhile, I wrapped oak wood chips in foil and poked holes in the foil. I put the chips under the grill grate and then filled a stainless steel cup full of water and placed it on top of the grate. Heated the bbq to 350 degrees. Placed the butt on a rack in an aluminum pan inside the bbq. I let it smoke for 90 minutes then pulled it. I brought it inside, placed it in another aluminum pan on a rack. Added 3 cups of apple juice, put in the heat probe and covered it with foil.
I put it in the oven at 350 degrees until the internal temp reached 202 degrees then pulled it and let it rest for 1 hour covered in a blanket with the meat still in the pan with the foil on it.
I cut into it and it was soooooo moist and tender. I think part of the reason is that I trimmed no fat and cooked it with the fat cap up.
The reason i'm posting this is??.sometimes there are different reasons why something is not working and you need to work through it. There is no way the way I cooked this meat should have been as good as my Yoder stick burner but it was. I wouldn't give up yet. Cooking is fun and hopefully the fun will come back to you whether it's with the Traeger or some other smoker.
Best of luck to you.

I've found the easiest way to cook pork shoulder/roast is to braise them in an electric skillet. I brown all surfaces in olive oil, getting a nice crust on the outside surface. Then fill the skillet to near the top with broth, juice, beer, left over coffee, etc diluted with water. Set temp at 225-250, cover and let it simmer until done.

Smoking is fine, but many don't care for the smoke taste. The browning give a tasty crust and the braising insures a moist final product that grill/pit cooking often dries out.

I pulled a 10 lb pork loin out of the freezer that had to be used a couple weeks ago. Normally this cut would have been done on the grill or pit. I did it in the electric skillet and my wife marveled at how tender and moist it came out. Loins having little fat have to be watched closely on the grill to insure moist product. The braising method works with minimum attention.

And the left over liquid makes great gravy, au jous, or however you'd like to use it.