WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Chris's 200+ mph Project

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Here is the bracket with longer stud length. I could have been ok with 1/8 inch less but I'm ok.

Looks better each time you post your progress, keep up the good work. :thumbsup

Ps. straighten the hose clamps, judges look for these things. :D

Attachments

• attachment-3.jpg
    attachment-3.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 549
Reaction score
Installed the spinner, and working on the engine cowling. The to do list is getting shorter...just not fast enough for me:D

randyjet

Reaction score
I have a question for you. I am thinking about starting a new company to support all the kit planes and sport planes being built. There is a strong desire to go away from the traditional steam gages and go to fully digital displays. I was thinking of starting a business where we do all the layout of your dash and develop all the harness to support the layout. That way you could decide on the layout without cutting the dash once you see what looks good we handle all the harness design and you get all your electrical supplied in a nice plug and play set up all connectors and branches premade. My thought is one we can validate all circuit and load requirements and we take all the headache out of trying to bread board this. Whets you’re thought on this idea and do you think it would ease the transition into digital display. The thing I noticed was when I got my planes to the point you are at now it seemed like I had come along way yet it seemed I was still a long way off and one of the big headaches was instrumentation. I was so tired of not being able to fly I think I never gave my instrumentation the time it really deserved and think I could have done a nicer job with some help.

Reaction score
I have a question for you. I am thinking about starting a new company to support all the kit planes and sport planes being built. There is a strong desire to go away from the traditional steam gages and go to fully digital displays. I was thinking of starting a business where we do all the layout of your dash and develop all the harness to support the layout. That way you could decide on the layout without cutting the dash once you see what looks good we handle all the harness design and you get all your electrical supplied in a nice plug and play set up all connectors and branches premade. My thought is one we can validate all circuit and load requirements and we take all the headache out of trying to bread board this. Whets you?re thought on this idea and do you think it would ease the transition into digital display. The thing I noticed was when I got my planes to the point you are at now it seemed like I had come along way yet it seemed I was still a long way off and one of the big headaches was instrumentation. I was so tired of not being able to fly I think I never gave my instrumentation the time it really deserved and think I could have done a nicer job with some help.

There are a hand full of avonic panel shops already in business. Van's sells extra blank panels for $30. I'm on my second revision. Also using Fast Approach's hub and cable harnessing to tie it all together. No steam gauge's. All Garmin and Dynon (D-180). A few pages back, I have a picture of the first revision panel. I had it powdered coated.

Last edited:

randyjet

Reaction score
I wasnt looking at making a panal I was talking about doing the panal layout and then developing the electrical schematic and 3d routing as well as the flat pattern to have a custom plug and play harness made it is unique and custom for you specific plane and your specific application and yes I did see you layout thats why I was asking you if you thoght a custom pre made harness would help in your build. There are specific requirements to the current electronics that need to adhered and since not everybody deals with this every day I thought we could offer a service but you have answered my questions already. Thank you for your response.

Reaction score
I wasnt looking at making a panal I was talking about doing the panal layout and then developing the electrical schematic and 3d routing as well as the flat pattern to have a custom plug and play harness made it is unique and custom for you specific plane and your specific application and yes I did see you layout thats why I was asking you if you thoght a custom pre made harness would help in your build. There are specific requirements to the current electronics that need to adhered and since not everybody deals with this every day I thought we could offer a service but you have answered my questions already. Thank you for your response.

I'm already using a product very similar to what you described.

Here is their link. http://approachfaststack.com/pdf/literature/Complete ApproachFastStack PRO-G_RevC_Manual-080205.pdf

Also X Panel software http://www.xpanelsoftware.com/ is nice if you want to layout the panel in software mode.

The PRO HUB interface board from Fast Stack and their pre-wired cables, make it simple.

For the most part, experimental airplanes usually don't have a glass panel for an instrument panel. For those who want something more high end, and don't have a clue where to begin, then usually they end up at Spruce Aircraft's Avonic's service department, or places like Stein Air http://www.steinair.com/panels.htm and have them built and pre-wired.

more pic's: tight fit between the engine cowl and fuel servo.

Last edited:

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
I'm still loving this thread.

If I had the time, I'd love to come down and lend a hand on your build. I've helped a few of the local EAA guys. It's fun to be able to work on a project without it costing a dime. :D

It's nice to be popular at the air field too. I haven't kicked in for fuel on a plane ride in years. :)

Reaction score
I'm still loving this thread.

If I had the time, I'd love to come down and lend a hand on your build. I've helped a few of the local EAA guys. It's fun to be able to work on a project without it costing a dime. :D

It's nice to be popular at the air field too. I haven't kicked in for fuel on a plane ride in years. :)

I'm working on a sponsor:D
I'm just about ready to button up the front, put the wings back on, and take it for a taxi test. Seems so easy, yet miles away

Last edited:

72Hondo

Reaction score
Cool project.

I'm not up on the experimental ratings. Do you have to take that thing to the feds to get an airworthyness cert?

Reaction score
Cool project.

I'm not up on the experimental ratings. Do you have to take that thing to the feds to get an airworthyness cert?

Yes.

I also have to perform 40 hours of flight testing before I can leave the "Box" that is assigned to me. I'm going to ask for Deer Valley Airport, to Flagstaff, to Bullhead City, to Blythe, and back to Deer Valley. The plane cruises at 200 mph, and I'm hoping to get another 20 mph by the time I have all the control surfaces tuned. With 42 gallons fuel, I'm hoping to get close to 1000 miles on one tank (23.8 mpg the way the crow flys).

The first 15 hours of flight will mostly be performed a couple thousand feet above Deer Valley airport. By the time I reach 25 hours I should be ready for cross country testing.

Its getting hot out in the hanger. I have a swamp cooler, but at 109, and inside a metal hanger, the plane project is slowing down for the next 12 weeks. My plan is to get 4-8 hours in a week, but this month it looks like 4-8 hours a month:(

Here is what I've been doing:

Panel cutout revision two and wiring avoinic. If you think rigging a boat is tough, try an airplane with a glass avonics panel.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here is the panel with some of the avonics installed (checking for fit). Right now I'm building a Map/Glove box for the panel. I'm just about ready to send it out for powdercoating. the blue is just a couple layers of tape I was using to protect the panel from deep scratches, if I drop it or a tool on the surface.

I could almost start the engine when I get the panel back from PC, since I I've got the wiring runs installed for the most part.

I'm also working on the interior concepts with interior aircraft designers. The seats will have heater elements installed. (Whats the outside temperture at 10,500-12,00 feet?). I'm not much good with an industrial sewing maching (or any sewing maching for that matter), so it will get the professional touch.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Second revision. Garmin 696 GPS w/ traffic and XM weather, EFIS/engine monitor Dynon D-180, Garmin GMA 240 audio panel w/cell phone/mp3/etc..., Garmin SL 30 Nav/Comm w/ glide slope, Garmin GTX 330 with S mode for traffic interface to GPS, MS200-306 CDI, Scaled Composites Power panel, electric trim switches and indicator, electric flaps, remote ELT switch, map/glove box far right, cabin heat controls, ingition switch (airplane keys) far left. This is my IFR "experimental" panel.

Ready for powder coating :champagne:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I swear, this is the hottest september I've been through in in the 30+ years I've lived in Phoenix. I'm trying to finish up the airplane, but record setting heat is slowing the progress. I got the panel back from powdercoating, and finishing up the tail section (elevators and rudders attached, and fiberglass tips).

I'm running the wiring for electric trim, lights/strobes, and much more. I see the wings going on next month, but the heat and working out in a metal hanger is a challenge.

Reaction score
Ordered the interior.;) 10-12 week waiting time:grumble: Moving forward...lots of little things getting done. Looks like its going to be a 2011 model:D

D

Deleted Account

Wow, that is some extremely nice work. You're getting close...:thumbsup

Reaction score
Wow, that is some extremely nice work. You're getting close...:thumbsup

This is by far the biggest project I've ever attempted.

I'm just about done with the panel wiring, and the engine controls are done except for a carb linkage fitting. Interior should be here in late March.

D

Deleted Account

What a fantastic project... You're going flying soon.:thumbsup

This guy made his own adapter for his throttle cable, which then somehow fell off. He hit the house three doors down from our place on the roof, spun it off the chimney and we cut him out of the cockpit on the ground. The guy walked away after getting his head cuts sutured up!:thumbsup

Attachments

• P1050838 (Large).jpg
    P1050838 (Large).jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 355
  • P1050824 (Large).jpg
    P1050824 (Large).jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 360
  • P1050830 (Large).jpg
    P1050830 (Large).jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 341
  • P1050839 (Large).jpg
    P1050839 (Large).jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 339
  • plane12_400 (Large).jpg
    plane12_400 (Large).jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 337
Reaction score
I'll bet there are 1000's times more cars that plow through a home then airplanes on any given day:D

Reaction score
I still need to run the wiring out to the lights on the wing tips, electric flaps, and electric fuel pump, but for the most part its getting done.
Panel has power, and for the first time electrons are flowing through the planes artificial nervous system. Now to begin programing all the sensors, and learning how to operate it. :thumbsup

Interior should be here in 3 weeks. The list is getting shorter.

Reaction score
These are semi-custom heated seats. The package, which includes carpet bagage, and cockpit area, side panels, kick panels etc... I believe the entire package weighs around 45 lbs. Good thing I went with the whirlwind prop...It saved me 18 lbs up front. I can always remove the side panels and carpet if I'm in a situation where I need to carry more fuel. I'll be sure to make that a priority during the panel installation (easy removal).

Last edited:

rivergames

Reaction score
Any updates? This was a great build thread to follow :thumbsup

Reaction score
Any updates? This was a great build thread to follow :thumbsup

It's been a really busy past year. Bought a cabin last fall in Flagstaff, and finally got it ready for summer. Also business has been going very well, so had to step up to handle more business. I have worked about 4 hours a month on the plane. My dad sold his C-182 this year, so I need to get this flying soon.

I'm redesigning the oil cooler setup to handle the extra heat from the bigger ECI motor, and the air intake to the fuel servo supplied by the MFG, does not fit with my application, so it is being redone, as well as fixing air flow issues when using the ECI tapered cylinders with the stock baffling.

Here is a couple pictures of a mould I'm building for the oil cooler intake. I started with a small tin coffee can that fit the flex tubing, and used cardboard and aluminum duct tape to find an acceptible shape...airflow. I started to cover it with epoxy resin mixed with micro ballon. Micro ballon makes the epoxy resin easier to sand. I've not worked much with epoxy resins, so I'm on a learning curve. As soon as these redesigns are done, I'm ready for an engine start.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here is the original design for the oil cooler. it used a smaller 7 row, where as my design use's a 10 row, that would not fit in the original space.

attachment.php

Reaction score
Pic of one of the earlier prototype's...

29begbs.jpg

Also built some access covers for Avonics wiring.

2wptkcm.jpg

ac7m95.jpg

w0j09x.jpg

10ptzmf.jpg

lwduf.jpg

71u5vm.jpg

dgm2e1.jpg

Sold Honda bought Hondo

Reaction score
google experamental aircraft kits.

basicly they come in a kit that is up to 49% complete. you just put it toegther. Most can be completed in 1000-3000 man hours.
WOW! My hats off to you big time...almost 10 years and you still have enthusiasm!
I worked for a guy about 10 years ago..wanted to build/fly his own deal. Took lessons and got his private ticket...Found a deal on an early Lancair..Had a lot of work already done.Had no concept of what 2-3000 hours labor actually was (for a pro besides) Sent me up to heber ut to learn basic layup skills...both of us spent a chunk of time but we needed hubble telescope to see how far we really needed to go..about 10 months after we got started he found someone local that had a finished one for sale. Got the guy to take him for a ride...Only plane he was ever in was a cessna 180..not the roomiest but a reasonably decent bird...I already told him, be prepared for anything...i few in a t6 and it was a rattly/noisy shit flexing around ride...Guess Lancair was worse/smaller/ and a really crappy glide ratio too...
Took him a week to ditch lancair project...traded for a nice 2 seat ultra lite and a boss hoss.

Your kit looks way sweet....Vans stuff was good 10 years ago and getting nothing but better......Your skills look top notch too....for a youngster! lol
Where would you be without clecos!
That was first think i noticed about EAA guys....older/retired with major free time on their hands...It's a major commitment to get through one of those projects...i am plenty patient and i'm good for about 6 months on a boat project before i am in serious need of even just a little seat time to get around burnout.
Great luck! and be safe! And look forward to probably the best buzz life has to offer!:thumbsup

Reaction score
Oil cooler is pretty much done. This was made from the mold. Next is the air induction intake/ and baffling modification.

Last edited:

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Awesome stuff.
My Dad was a gifted mechanic/machinist/fabricator, I am a hack by comparison. His best buddy owned a sheet metal shop in Long Beach and was a private pilot, gave me my first airplane ride at 12 in a 172.
Al had some $, and decided he was going to build a Starduster Too, with Dad's help of course.
It was a 15 year project, my first job at 12 was for al, sweeping floors. I pushed the rolling fuselage in and out of that shop every Saturday and every day all summer for two years, and watched the project come along.
I was about 17, and had moved on when Dad came home one Saturday and said,"the plane is in Chino and is gonna fly next weekend"
I saw it leave the ground for the first time, and about six months later got a ride in it.
Al stepped up and rigged the airplane with a max-rated power engine, inverted oiling system and IFR avionics, something out of the ordinary for the 1970's in a homebuilt aircraft.
My first time up in it we went inverted.
That was indeed something, 35 years ago and I remember it like yesterday.
If you ever see a Starduster with tailnumber 56AM or something close, that is it...
AM for Al McGihon and 56 for his age when the plane was finished...
My Dad and Al are both long gone, but boy do I remember....

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
What's the latest on your plane?

UAV.Pilot

Reaction score
Just read your entire build thread, great job on this Rv, did you ever finish this project? I am looking hard at a Lancair 360 at the moment! Trying to find a clean one under 100k, lots of junk out there.
My back ground is a Mu-2...Rv or Lancair should be inline with what I want out of a plane