WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

24 Campbell tub job

sergeantmike

Reaction score
My buddy here in Havasu is thinking about cutting a tub in the front of his 24... scrapping the bow rail and making it a Classic Custom Bow Rider.

Anyone seen this done? I hate to think of taking a saw to it, but it is His (and wife's) boat. No doubt Scott K. or Saleen could stiffen and gel it properly, it just seems so unnatural to hack it that way.

Photos of any you've seen? Intervention counselors etc.:eek stymie.jpg

Gelcoater

Reaction score
My buddy here in Havasu is thinking about cutting a tub in the front of his 24... scrapping the bow rail and making it a Classic Custom Bow Rider.

Anyone seen this done? I hate to think of taking a saw to it, but it is His (and wife's) boat. No doubt Scott K. or Saleen could stiffen and gel it properly, it just seems so unnatural to hack it that way.

Photos of any you've seen? Intervention counselors etc.:eek View attachment 454368
Not on a Campbell but there was a guy who brought his old school Eliminator double step deck jet boat into the shop.
They cut a hole,filled it with seats,redid all the interior,buffed it,yanked the old 454 and dropped in a LS based Supercharged Caddy engine in it.
Basically dropped about 30k on a 7k boat.Had been in the family since new,tons of sentimental value to him so money was of little concern. image.jpg image.jpg

sergeantmike

Reaction score
Exact same situation my friend is in... emotional attachment to the boat but just not what they need. Thank you much... that re-do is really not bad looking... always thought those double step boats were a bit, what's the words?, kinda ugly. That makeover helped it a lot.

Stand by for possible photos of me cutting up a '78 Campbell:(

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Sergentmike

The cool thing about Campbells is that each boat that came out of the factory was pretty much a "custom" boat so there really is no set standard. There are several boats that have been cut up like you're talking about. Here are a couple.

The wood decker was built by Miller boats and the owner wanted one from the factory but Bob Whelen wanted to much for it. The owner found a used 24 and took a saw to it and made it the way he wanted. In addition to the wood deck he always wanted twin blown small blocks.... So thats what she runs and almost hops out of the water when he grabs a hand full of throttle!!!!

I dont know much about the second boat except that I have seen it at the Regatta and bow seating was very well done. I have seen pictures of a 28 that had the bow cut out of it as well. So I say, hack away and make it look sweet. Bring it to the regatta in September.
rb

Attachments

• e-2011_regatta-192.jpg
    e-2011_regatta-192.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 218
  • e-2011_regatta-183.jpg
    e-2011_regatta-183.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 205

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Correction, it was a 32 that had the bow cut out of it and if that were not bad enough I am pretty sure that is the 1st 32 built by Campbell (hence the Numero Uno name ???) Lol..... Rig it and run it!!!!!:D:D:D

Attachments

• b-numerouno-12.jpg
    b-numerouno-12.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 199

sergeantmike

Reaction score
Honored you commented Carl. We understand each other. Would be like someone screwing a stripper pole on the deck of my Spectra:eek Then hacking out the ass end and putting a.... dare I say it........ Whacker motor on it.:(

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
I'm a complete and total OG kinda guy... You can show me pictures and tell me stories of what people have done to beloved Campbells without one iota of care or concern to the history and design of what is arguably the most beautiful water craft ever produced.

Your Honor...I rest my case...

CC

sergeantmike

Reaction score
It's your boat.... Time to post up. I am gonna drill a hole in the deck and start cutting. Get Maria to saw.jpg give me the OKAY.

sergeantmike

Reaction score
Just curious what happen to this hack job???

Very close on the OKAY to begin the deconstruction. Will lay out the deck hole, verify the structure below and then gut the bow Not going to be a one day job.

Once the first hole goes in the deck..... it's commitment time. Should be a go or no go this weekend.....:eek

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Hey Sgt.
Did you ever make the cut ??? Lets see some pics of the project !!!