WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Paint questions

Boat Potato

Reaction score
So I am installing new exhaust and moving the tips above the swim step and patching the old holes. The boat was previously painted by paint n place over the old gel. My question is when I respray the transom after all the patching, what kind of paint should I use. I have no clue what was used before. It will just be a solid white. Should I shoot a clear, or will it depend on the paint used? Thanks for any advice

Jimmy

Reaction score
So I am installing new exhaust and moving the tips above the swim step and patching the old holes. The boat was previously painted by paint n place over the old gel. My question is when I respray the transom after all the patching, what kind of paint should I use. I have no clue what was used before. It will just be a solid white. Should I shoot a clear, or will it depend on the paint used? Thanks for any advice
Ka0tyk is the resident fiberglass/paint/gel coat champion u want to get onto.
But at a guess the old "paint" is going to be gel coat.
If your doing it yaself I would go a west system epoxy resin to do the patch.
You can go either ways, use a automotive primer/2pack/clear paint or use a gelcoat.
Its all personal preference and what's in ya budget. Gelcoats durable but paints heaps easier for the DIY.

The other thing I'd look into is what sort of exhaust manifold you got ie are they water cooled, will raising the exhaust above the swim step cause water to run back into the engine.

Boat Potato

Reaction score
Ka0tyk is the resident fiberglass/paint/gel coat champion u want to get onto.
But at a guess the old "paint" is going to be gel coat.
If your doing it yaself I would go a west system epoxy resin to do the patch.
You can go either ways, use a automotive primer/2pack/clear paint or use a gelcoat.
Its all personal preference and what's in ya budget. Gelcoats durable but paints heaps easier for the DIY.

The other thing I'd look into is what sort of exhaust manifold you got ie are they water cooled, will raising the exhaust above the swim step cause water to run back into the engine.

Yes it is actually paint over the old gel coat, thats why I am curious what paint to use to match the existing. I'm thinking it's probably a poly. And I am using the west system epoxy for the holes. I'm moving the exhaust due to my old lightning headers rusting out and signs of reversion.So i had Jan at lightning measure for a new set of jacketed dry tail headers to eliminate reversion. Thanks for the input.

OFFSHORE GINGER

Reaction score
Yes it is actually paint over the old gel coat, thats why I am curious what paint to use to match the existing. I'm thinking it's probably a poly. And I am using the west system epoxy for the holes. I'm moving the exhaust due to my old lightning headers rusting out and signs of reversion.So i had Jan at lightning measure for a new set of jacketed dry tail headers to eliminate reversion. Thanks for the input.
Personally i would go with Imron or Awlgrip and to tell you the truth there is going to be so much going on back there ( transom ) that a exact match most like will not be crucial or that noticeable to the eye , and might i suggest a high build primer made by Duratec white 707-002 which is a primer that is compatible for use with Epoxy and widely used in the Marine industry .