WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lake Nacimiento water level

Tank

Reaction score
So the level was at 60% as of today. But isn't the percentage kindve screwy? Like when it was over flowing a few years back it only got to I want to say 80%. Do you know what the max percentage is? It's no where near 100.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
So the level was at 60% as of today. But isn't the percentage kindve screwy? Like when it was over flowing a few years back it only got to I want to say 80%. Do you know what the max percentage is? It's no where near 100.
I think 100% includes the inflatable spillway which raises the full pool level to 825'. But I don't think they really want to use that because I believe there are a few older houses and buildings built assuming a max height of 800' back when the lake was first built.

Tank

Reaction score
I think 100% includes the inflatable spillway which raises the full pool level to 825'. But I don't think they really want to use that because I believe there are a few older houses and buildings built assuming a max height of 800' back when the lake was first built.

The last time it was full the restaurant at the main marina had water touching the pylons and the picnic and camping area was completely under water and I want to say they were saying it was like 80%.

its supposed to rain even harder sunday - Tuesday. Should be near full at the end of this storm. :thumbsup

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
The last time it was full the restaurant at the main marina had water touching the pylons and the picnic and camping area was completely under water and I want to say they were saying it was like 80%.

its supposed to rain even harder sunday - Tuesday. Should be near full at the end of this storm. :thumbsup
I guess I mixed up the elevations. 787 is the spillway elevation that can be raised to 800. The crest height of the dam itself is 825. I have no idea where they are getting their percentages from then. Since as of today we're at "60%" but yet an elevation of 770'. I'm fairly certain the extra 17 vertical feet doesn't slope outwards that far since that really isn't how the lake is shaped.

Here's the reservoir info though...

http://www.mcwra.co.monterey.ca.us/reservoirs-dams/reservoirs-dams_overview.php

Tank

Reaction score
It's nearly to the launch ramp parking lot at oak shores and looks like it's to the camp ground of the main marina. IMG_7979.JPG IMG_7980.jpg

G. Faulk

Reaction score
It's raining cats and dogs down here in SB, how you doing in Paso FL?

Got an update on the lovely Naci flood? :p

Yes it was. There were a couple fronts that came threw here in SB that were dumping. I haven't seen the creeks flowing like this in a while.

I grab my dog and took him up to the Red rock crossings yesterday, flowing very nicely. I'm thinking enough to get to Cachuma. We get another few storms like this and I'm feeling pretty confident we can get Cachuma filed up to at least 25%. Thats still not much but i will take it.

H2O

Reaction score
Yes it was. There were a couple fronts that came threw here in SB that were dumping. I haven't seen the creeks flowing like this in a while.

I grab my dog and took him up to the Red rock crossings yesterday, flowing very nicely. I'm thinking enough to get to Cachuma. We get another few storms like this and I'm feeling pretty confident we can get Cachuma filed up to at least 25%. Thats still not much but i will take it.

50 more inches of rain required to fill Cahcuma :eek, according to yesterdays paper -

http://www.independent.com/news/2017/jan/20/fifty-more-inches-rain-needed-fill-cachuma

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Just found this one Naci Live Facebook View attachment 533608 looking pretty good so far.
I just drove across the dam and took a couple pics.

20170122_131835.jpg

They have the spillway extension up and ready. They are gonna take the lake to 800' and full pool for sure.

20170122_133004.jpg

They have an elevation gauge next to the dam. It's really hard to see in this picture but the larger number there (looks like 3 digits) is 780' which would put the current elevation at 778' & some change. And btw, I went by on my way to town 3 hours earlier and it was reading right around 776'.

20170122_135041.jpg

NicPaus

Reaction score
Nice! Has been raining steady here for 7 hours. My gauge is a Jackson wheel barrow. It is half way now, phone just gave me a flash flood warning.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I couldn't get any pictures cause it was dark by the time I got home from work today, but I went by the Heritage launch ramp and it looks like the lake has risen another 2 to 3 feet since I took those pictures around 1pm. This is just INSANE!! We're on pace for the lake to rise OVER 50' in less than a month.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I couldn't get any pictures cause it was dark by the time I got home from work today, but I went by the Heritage launch ramp and it looks like the lake has risen another 2 to 3 feet since I took those pictures around 1pm. This is just INSANE!! We're on pace for the lake to rise OVER 50' in less than a month.

It's gonna be a fantastic summer!

I can hardly wait!! :p

SLT Kota

Reaction score

Wow, is this tearing up a lot of docks? I know people have had to move docks as the water went down but with it raising so fast have people been able to catch up? We only have about a 10' change on our lake from low to high the change can do a number on some docks when it floods.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Wow, is this tearing up a lot of docks? I know people have had to move docks as the water went down but with it raising so fast have people been able to catch up? We only have about a 10' change on our lake from low to high the change can do a number on some docks when it floods.
People definitely can't keep up. But most are fairly prepared for large rises. This lake can fill VERY fast. I have seen some carnage of personal docks but I believe most have been from being on dry land for the last couple years and that messing up their floats and/or structures.

bajagrom

Reaction score
So with the water up are there any contracts with the farmers to release water? How fast will the water disappear?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
So with the water up are there any contracts with the farmers to release water? How fast will the water disappear?
The water is primarily used to recharge ground water and flood control for the Salinas river. With how much the river is running and how saturated the ground is from all that rain, they won't be increasing the releases until the next big storm and even then it'll be a balancing act to not flood Salinas with too much water. Besides the lakeside communities, the only pipeline coming out of the lake is for cities in San Luis County North of San Luis Obispo and they don't own much of the water. Should stay high for the summer. As long as the bureaucrats don't pull some shit.

Emac

Reaction score
The water is primarily used to recharge ground water and flood control for the Salinas river. With how much the river is running and how saturated the ground is from all that rain, they won't be increasing the releases until the next big storm and even then it'll be a balancing act to not flood Salinas with too much water. Besides the lakeside communities, the only pipeline coming out of the lake is for cities in San Luis County North of San Luis Obispo and they don't own much of the water. Should stay high for the summer. As long as the bureaucrats don't pull some shit.

Just saw that the dip shits in charge of the releases are up to their nonsense again. Releases starting today at 443 cfs. Such a bunch of crap. We haven't had the lake up for a long time and now they are letting it out for a damn fish that hasn't been up the Salinas for a long long time. Fuking assholes!

http://www.mcwra.co.monterey.ca.us/reservoir_data/documents/ReservoirData.pdf

DC-88

Reaction score
Just saw that the dip shits in charge of the releases are up to their nonsense again. Releases starting today at 443 cfs. Such a bunch of crap. We haven't had the lake up for a long time and now they are letting it out for a damn fish that hasn't been up the Salinas for a long long time. Fuking assholes!

http://www.mcwra.co.monterey.ca.us/reservoir_data/documents/ReservoirData.pdf

It's the "PC" way the Tards in this area slow growth rather than man up and just do it on the level. At least that's MHO .... and one of the reasons I mostly boat at the river. Regardless , the lake will be up this summer and that is always a good thing :thumbsup