WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Windshield replacement/ Upland, ca

bobbytheboozer

resident boozer
Reaction score
I got home yesterday afternoon, pulled in the driveway and *crack* FUCK! A good sized crack on the passenger side of the windshield. I dont really have time to search through the 100's of windshield replacement threads. Does anybody have a shop they would recommend?

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD, lifted 6 inches and it has a 52 inch curved light bar across the top (if that means anything to the installation guys)

I am kind of in a pinch because i am looking at going to the drags in pomona today and the gates open at 9am. I made an appointment with safelite but fuck them. Ive never had even 1/4 assed work come from those guys.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

zhandfull

Reaction score
Windsheild shop next to car wash and America's Tire on foothill in Upland is reasonable too. I used them a couple times in the past.

Reaction score
The place i have been going to on holt bvd just past east end is a shit hole but is fast and reliable in and out in a flash...he has filled chips and replaced but i don't remember the name. West of east end on the north side of the street.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Windsheild shop next to car wash and America's Tire on foothill in Upland is reasonable too. I used them a couple times in the past.

I used them once. Price was great. Found out more about windshields and they use the cheap China glass. Some is okay and not a distorted view. I was fortunate to get that. What I wasn't fortunate about though was a leak less install.

Used to have a neighbor that did windshields. He moved in after. He sealed up the leak. Later on when my wife broke the windshield it for replaced with good stuff. And with premium install.

I learned that if installers leave tape on your car that you have to leave on for a day or two they are using inferior adhesive. The good stuff doesn't need that.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Usually comp coverage covers windshields too.

Just sayin.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
Got it. My policy specifically covers windshield replacement. Just thought I would mention it.

X2, I think it might be 2 per year on my insurance, thankfully I haven't tested it.
I nearly cry when the factory glass needs replacement knowing the new one will be lesser quality.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
I used them once. Price was great. Found out more about windshields and they use the cheap China glass. Some is okay and not a distorted view. I was fortunate to get that. What I wasn't fortunate about though was a leak less install.

Used to have a neighbor that did windshields. He moved in after. He sealed up the leak. Later on when my wife broke the windshield it for replaced with good stuff. And with premium install.

I learned that if installers leave tape on your car that you have to leave on for a day or two they are using inferior adhesive. The good stuff doesn't need that.

Very few are not made in china anymore. PPG(PGW) has a plant here in Pittsburgh that makes some, and some pilkington are made here but mostly canada, china and mexico. SGC (safelite) is made in North carolina or Kansas and they are the biggest pieces of shit glass out there.

And you are correct about the tape. Personally i would use a shop that works with Sika products. Safe drive away time is really critical. They range from 30 minutes to 8 hours.

People really don't think much of the importance of a quality install and usually just go for the cheapest, and those are the customers i let walk out the door.

Your life may depend on it one day.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Look at the DOT code on the glass and that number can tell you who and where the glass was made, if you are concerned about it.

For instance, a "mopar" factory glass may have a DOT 18 and that would mean PPG(PGW) made it in Pittsburgh

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Very few are not made in china anymore. PPG(PGW) has a plant here in Pittsburgh that makes some, and some pilkington are made here but mostly canada, china and mexico. SGC (safelite) is made in North Carolina and they are the biggest pieces of shit glass out there.

And you are correct about the tape. Personally i would use a shop that works with Sika products. Safe drive away time is really critical. They range from 30 minutes to 8 hours.

People really don't think much of the importance of a quality install and usually just go for the cheapest, and those are the customers i let walk out the door.

Your life may depend on it one day.

Nice. Yeah some quality can be had in China by good companies that have quality assurance. But so much junk out of there. With any product. Not just glass.

Point is to buy the good stuff.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
X2, I think it might be 2 per year on my insurance, thankfully I haven't tested it.
I nearly cry when the factory glass needs replacement knowing the new one will be lesser quality.

I wouldn't. Fuyao glass company is the supplier for GM. Even though they opened a plant in Ohio, i still wouldn't want that garbage in my car.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Direct auto glass, off 10 and citrus, fontucky, they've done numerous ones on my 07 Chevy, under 200 bucks, and that truck has pipe rack, similar to led mount height. Some shops will frown on your light bar, makes install a pita.
For under 200, I'm thinking 130 range I believe, has the black dot shit down for mirror area, factory fade tint crap, and for that price I could give 2 shits about what country the glass came from :D

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
go to the corner of citrus and Valley in fontana. there is a glass Shop next to the song place. I had my F250 front window replaced there for 150. 250 if I wanted the super duty print on it. all this glass is made by the same 10 yr old Chinese kids in a Hong Kong sweat Shop anyway. it just depends who's name they print on the glass. lol

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Windshields for a silverado are like $125 installed here in san fernando valley. Gato Auto glass! But I don't have the number handy.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
I had this big long response typed out but fuck it. I don't even want to get started on the 125 dollar windshield guys.

I've been in the glass biz a long time, and you get what you pay for.....just like the 100 dollar tint guys.