WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pulled the Trigger on a Traeger!

Squirtsfar

Reaction score
Well after years of friends telling me "You need to get one, they are amazing", we purchased one from Costco. The Costco version has more options than ordering one directly from Traeger. The grill is $699.00 and the pellets are $20.00 for a 30/lb bag. We grabbed some Rib eye's and headed for home. For starters it is a very well built product. Solid, sturdy and built with quality parts. I have to say the assembly sucked. It took me 2-1/2 hours and that was using my own tools because the ones in the kit were the typical junk. All the work was definitely worth it. Once we seasoned the grill, we invited some friends over and put on the steaks. I was a little worried but we following the cooking instructions to the letter and they turned out GREAT! They were some of the best steaks I have had. Juice and Delicious. We also cooked some sweet potatoes, they to came out terrific. So the first experiment was a success! So on Sunday when we usually do our meals for the week. Instead of grilling the chicken on the gas grill we used the Traeger. Again we followed the instructions to a T, again I was a little nervous. 25 minutes later the chicken breasts turn out great! Cooked just right, nice and juicy and flavorful.

So after two meals the grill has not disappointed! I would recommend this grill to anyone who wants a healthier and easier way to grill / cook! :thumbsup

Havasu Rehab

Reaction score
I was thinking about buying one at Costco. I might just head over and pick up the small one. Glad you've had good experiences so far.

Squirtsfar

Reaction score
And the story goes on. Sunday night we cooked thin chichen breasts. Unbelievable taste and juiciness. Monday it was Sword Fish, again absolutely perfect. Again moist, and flavorful. On to Monday, bacon wrapped jumbo shrimp. Again absolutely perfect. I cannot say enough about the ease of use and quality of the food it produces. I am planning on buying another one for our motor home.

relaxalot

Reaction score
Chicken is the best.. I have had poor results with ribs... I think they needed to be cooked at a higher temp. Throw king crab legs in from Costco.. perfect. Love my Traeger

senorpdog

Reaction score
Chicken is the best.. I have had poor results with ribs... I think they needed to be cooked at a higher temp. Throw king crab legs in from Costco.. perfect. Love my Traeger

Any tips on how to do these? That sounds delicious

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
Wait until you try a Pork Shoulder/Butt.............you will be even more sold.....give one a try this weekend:thumbsup

Squirtsfar

Reaction score
Wait until you try a Pork Shoulder/Butt.............you will be even more sold.....give one a try this weekend:thumbsup

Sounds like a good idea, thanks for the suggestion! I can't wait to get my 1/2 a cow from Wash 11 (Joel). It is going to be off the charts good on the Traeger! What "Relaxealot" said about the ribs kinda has me thinking I need to try them this weekend. :hmm

Squirtsfar

Reaction score
I think I will try this recipe from Traeger.
COMPETITION STYLE SPARE RIBS
Review Review it
DIFFICULTY
2/5
PREP TIME
30 MINS
COOK TIME
4.5 HRS
SERVES
4 - 6
HARDWOOD
APPLE
When you sample spare ribs at a BBQ competition, take a page from the Pro's and try to one-up your last backyard ribfest. Every time you take to the Traeger it's an enjoyable challenge to try to win the blue ribbon from friends and family. Make your house, the rib crib.
INGREDIENTS
ST. LOUIS STYLE PORK RIBS 2 RACKS
TRAEGER PORK & POULTRY SHAKE AS NEEDED
DARK BROWN SUGAR 1 CUP
HONEY (PREFERABLY CLOVER HONEY) 1/4 CUP
UNSALTED BUTTER 8 TBSP.
TRAEGER BBQ SAUCE OR YOUR FAVORITE BBQ SAUCE 1 1/2 CUPS
TRAEGER APRICOT BBQ SAUCE 1/2 CUP
PREPARATION

When ready to cook, start the Traeger grill on Smoke with the lid open until the fire is established (4 to 5 minutes).
Trim the end bones off of each rack. Next, trim any excess fat down to approximately 1/4 inch in thickness. Remove the membrane from the back side of the ribs.
Season liberally on both sides with Traeger Pork & Poultry rub; place on the grill meat side up. Smoke for 2 hours.
Remove the ribs temporarily from the grill. Increase the temperature to 225 and pre-heat, lid closed, for 5 - 10 minutes.
On a large sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil, add 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, 1 tablespoon honey, and 2 tablespoons of butter cut into small pieces.
Lay the ribs meat side down in the brown sugar mixture. Sprinkle the bone side of the ribs with the brown sugar, honey and butter. Repeat with the second set of ribs.
Tightly crimp the foil and return to the grill, meat side down, for 2 hours.
Test for tenderness by carefully opening the foil and insert a toothpick into the meat, between the two center-most ribs. You'll want to sense a bit of resistance, but the toothpick should go in fairly smooth.
If your ribs are already tender, cook time will be cut down in the next step. If they still seem a little tough, cook time will increase.
Collect the juices from the foil and set aside - it will be used later for the glaze.
Remove the ribs from the foil and place back on the grill grate. Combine the Traeger BBQ Sauce and Apricot Sauce in a small bowl and brush liberally on all sides of the ribs.
If the ribs were already tender after the foiling period, cook 20 minutes to set the sauce. If the ribs were tough, cook them for an hour or more. Each rack of ribs has a different marbling and amount of fat, so they will all cook a little differently. Our average cook time for these ribs is an hour after they are sauced and returned to the grill.
After the ribs have finished cooking, remove them from the grill and let rest for 15 minutes before slicing.
Take the pork juice (collected from the foil). Spoon the fat off of the top and discard. Using a basting brush, generously coat the cut ribs with the sticky sweet glaze. This will give them a shiny finish.
PRINT RECIPE

relaxalot

Reaction score
I think I will try this recipe from Traeger.
COMPETITION STYLE SPARE RIBS
Review Review it
DIFFICULTY
2/5
PREP TIME
30 MINS
COOK TIME
4.5 HRS
SERVES
4 - 6
HARDWOOD
APPLE
When you sample spare ribs at a BBQ competition, take a page from the Pro's and try to one-up your last backyard ribfest. Every time you take to the Traeger it's an enjoyable challenge to try to win the blue ribbon from friends and family. Make your house, the rib crib.
INGREDIENTS
ST. LOUIS STYLE PORK RIBS 2 RACKS
TRAEGER PORK & POULTRY SHAKE AS NEEDED
DARK BROWN SUGAR 1 CUP
HONEY (PREFERABLY CLOVER HONEY) 1/4 CUP
UNSALTED BUTTER 8 TBSP.
TRAEGER BBQ SAUCE OR YOUR FAVORITE BBQ SAUCE 1 1/2 CUPS
TRAEGER APRICOT BBQ SAUCE 1/2 CUP
PREPARATION

When ready to cook, start the Traeger grill on Smoke with the lid open until the fire is established (4 to 5 minutes).
Trim the end bones off of each rack. Next, trim any excess fat down to approximately 1/4 inch in thickness. Remove the membrane from the back side of the ribs.
Season liberally on both sides with Traeger Pork & Poultry rub; place on the grill meat side up. Smoke for 2 hours.
Remove the ribs temporarily from the grill. Increase the temperature to 225 and pre-heat, lid closed, for 5 - 10 minutes.
On a large sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil, add 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, 1 tablespoon honey, and 2 tablespoons of butter cut into small pieces.
Lay the ribs meat side down in the brown sugar mixture. Sprinkle the bone side of the ribs with the brown sugar, honey and butter. Repeat with the second set of ribs.
Tightly crimp the foil and return to the grill, meat side down, for 2 hours.
Test for tenderness by carefully opening the foil and insert a toothpick into the meat, between the two center-most ribs. You'll want to sense a bit of resistance, but the toothpick should go in fairly smooth.
If your ribs are already tender, cook time will be cut down in the next step. If they still seem a little tough, cook time will increase.
Collect the juices from the foil and set aside - it will be used later for the glaze.
Remove the ribs from the foil and place back on the grill grate. Combine the Traeger BBQ Sauce and Apricot Sauce in a small bowl and brush liberally on all sides of the ribs.
If the ribs were already tender after the foiling period, cook 20 minutes to set the sauce. If the ribs were tough, cook them for an hour or more. Each rack of ribs has a different marbling and amount of fat, so they will all cook a little differently. Our average cook time for these ribs is an hour after they are sauced and returned to the grill.
After the ribs have finished cooking, remove them from the grill and let rest for 15 minutes before slicing.
Take the pork juice (collected from the foil). Spoon the fat off of the top and discard. Using a basting brush, generously coat the cut ribs with the sticky sweet glaze. This will give them a shiny finish.
PRINT RECIPE

Make sure you bring up the temperature for at least 45 minutes.. ribs need to carmelize. 275 degrees at least. I have tried the traeger low and slow and 3-2-1 recipe and have not had good results. I experimented and you need more heat.

relaxalot

Reaction score
Today I am cooking chicken breasts.. marinated in Italian dressing and some marinated in peri peri sauce.. Nandos.. First on the traeger and then finishing on the grill because I like the char..

These will be great

Buy an igrill thermometer.. get the small one 39 bucks.. you will thank me later amazon.com

Squirtsfar

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! My wife and I got busy this weekend and didn't get to the ribs.... maybe next weekend.

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
Love hearing the great results with the Traeger.

I am getting ready to start a project to build a built in grill/island at home. So I am looking for a drop in pellet grill. From what I have seen, Traeger does not make a drop in model, and the ones that I am looking at are $3k :yikes

Hoping to find a more economical solution..... :)

Squirtsfar

Reaction score
I plan on doing the same thing. After I put mine together, I figure just by taking the legs off a guy would be able to build around it and make it built in. It may require some special fab but nothing to crazy.