Palomar Solar - Top

Roadrunner - Top

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 434 Times

Thoughts on the Yamaha YXZ1000R - anyone have one?

How do you like it? Quality? What's broke? What sucks? What's cool? What upgrades have you done? How it is compared to a RZR?
    Keith-

2. The Following User Says Thank You to STV_Keith For This Useful Post:

wsuwrhr (04-17-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,420 Times
    I was told the gear ratio in the trans needs to be reworked you can't stop or crawl up a hill. Good for wide open stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Froggystyle View Post
    I started by saying I was super drunk. That is basically like saying "with all due respect"... You can say anything you want next.

Thanks
    Thanked 434 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I was told the gear ratio in the trans needs to be reworked you can't stop or crawl up a hill. Good for wide open stuff
    It has a clutch, so crawling involves slipping the clutch unless you get the Rekluse clutch kit that kinda acts like a centrifugal clutch below 3000rpm.
    Keith-

5. The Following User Says Thank You to STV_Keith For This Useful Post:

wsuwrhr (04-17-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,420 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by STV_Keith View Post
    It has a clutch, so crawling involves slipping the clutch unless you get the Rekluse clutch kit that kinda acts like a centrifugal clutch below 3000rpm.
    I know I was told first gear was really high. Like slipping the clutch wasn't enough to get out of hole
    Quote Originally Posted by Froggystyle View Post
    I started by saying I was super drunk. That is basically like saying "with all due respect"... You can say anything you want next.

Thanks
    Thanked 117 Times
    Have had one about a month and took it out for the first time to Glamis over easter. All my friends have the Polaris XP so i am a bit of a novelty The car is a blast to drive in the dunes. The brakes are HUGE, the trans can be shifted with no clutch at speed, the suspension has 3 ways to adjust with compression, rebound, and spring. The one thing i need to get use to is the RPM range. You think the car is screaming and then you look at the tach and realize you are only halfway through the 10.5k range! The car itself just looks simpler to work on, lighter and nimble. I think this may be due to no belt and cooling ducting. the gauge cluster is really an information center that can be set with different options along with the shift light. i sat in the Polaris, Can-am and the Yamaha and really likes the feel of the car while planted in the seat, lays back a little more then the others so it has a little more "sporty" feel.

I know that turbo systems are already out for all the way up to over 300HP (with internal mods) and that has to do with the fact the motor is very close if not identical in a lot ways the one used in the snowmobile, it's a proven power plant in various forms.

Anyway, not much info for one time out, but it is a blast to drive. I also can't really compare since this is my first SXS and i have not been offroad since my Honda 250R 26 years ago.

Name:  20160326_140413.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  29.3 KB

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BigQ For This Useful Post:

Beerme (04-18-2016), Gelcoater (04-17-2016), Hammer (04-01-2016), pronstar (04-01-2016), SJP (04-22-2016), throttle (04-16-2016), TPC (04-01-2016), wsuwrhr (04-17-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,804 Times
    Simi Yamaha:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,804 Times
    Nice, I'd like to have one.

Guys I know with them complain of the harsh ride, and they eventually wish it was an auto trans.
    The two turbo guys are still perfecting it, some teething pains they are still working out.
    One turbo engine grenade'd already.

I prefer a factory turbo or dealer installed.
    I'd get the recluse clutch.

$3400 off is a great deal now.

I've ran against them (stock) up Dumonts Comp hill with our Rzr turbo and the Yami seems to flatten out about half way up and I beat them by a few lengths.
    They sure look and sound furious.

I wouldn't make my selection based on a car length or two in a race.
    The Yami driver position and build quality are streets ahead of Polaris.

We love our Rzr turbo, have 100's of trouble free hours and still on the stock belt.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

TBulger (04-01-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 416 Times
    There is a reason they just reduced the MSRP. The ones we have riding with us around Havasu can't go in some places like rock crawling like the RZR'S and Can-Am's do. I hear they are OK in Glamis but that's about it. Get the better clutch also.
    Pat
    Boatless

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patyacht For This Useful Post:

TBulger (04-01-2016), TPC (05-06-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,465 Times
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1459528930316.jpeg
Views: 0
Size:  81.5 KB

Hellllllllooooo stock shock tower! !!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JRS1939 For This Useful Post:

TPC (05-06-2016)